PDA

View Full Version : If you were Kenny up until Spring Training 2008?!!!

whitesoxstud
12-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Basically I look at where we are at first in the AL Central and look at what the other teams bring to the table. The Detroit Tigers have a great offensive lineup with the recent signing of Miggy Cabrera. Their pitching looks stronger then ever with the signing of Dontrel Willis. Their rotation would look something like this:

-Justin Verlander
-Jeremy Bonderman
-Dontrell Willis
-Kenny Rogers

If you were Kenny Williams up until spring training what moves would you make to make this team strong enough to win the division/wild card place considering you have to worry about the Detroit Tigers within our division and possible the monsters that are the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
I just posted a similar proposal in another thread.

First, sign Rowand and Fukudome. Rowand plays CF, Fukudome pays RF.

Next, try to get Bedard and Roberts for a package like Konerko, Danks, Gio, Masset, Richar and one of Sweeney/Anderson/Crede.

Dye moves to 1B where he probably belongs in this point of his career anyway. A couple of years ago I read that he said he'd like to play some 1B, and although he would certainly be a downgrade from Konerko defensively, he's a good enough athlete to become more than adequate there after playing an entire spring training at 1B.

Roberts 2B
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Dye 1B
Fukudome RF
Rowand CF
Pierzynski C
Fields 3B
Quentin LF

Buehrle
Vazquez
Bedard
Contreras
Floyd

I think this team contends.

SynchroJet
12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
If you were Kenny Williams up until spring training what moves would you make

Lots of alcohol and October 2008 vacation plans.

hi im skot
12-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Trade Everyone And Rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

EMel9281
12-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Ever since that ONE day that JD played first base because of injuries, everyone now thinks that he can play first base. Ladies and gentleman, Jermaine Dye IS NOT A FIRST BASEMAN! PERIOD! End of discussion.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Ever since that ONE day that JD played first base because of injuries, everyone now thinks that he can play first base. Ladies and gentleman, Jermaine Dye IS NOT A FIRST BASEMAN! PERIOD! End of discussion.
But he can be. As I already wrote, IIRC a couple of years ago he himself stated he would like to play some first base.

It is not unusual at all for outfielders to be converted to first basemen. And Jermaine is a good enough athlete to do it.

It's getting painful watching him lumber around in RF, and he's not getting any younger.

btrain929
12-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Basically I look at where we are at first in the AL Central and look at what the other teams bring to the table. The Detroit Tigers have a great offensive lineup with the recent signing of Miggy Cabrera. Their pitching looks stronger then ever with the signing of Dontrel Willis. Their rotation would look something like this:

-Justin Verlander
-Jeremy Bonderman
-Dontrell Willis
-Kenny Rogers

If you were Kenny Williams up until spring training what moves would you make to make this team strong enough to win the division/wild card place considering you have to worry about the Detroit Tigers within our division and possible the monsters that are the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

Couple of things here.
First, adding Dontrelle Willis to any rotation doesn't make it look "stronger than ever." He's been doing nothing but declining the past 2 years IN THE NL. Ozzie even told reporters he didn't support KW going after Miggy AND Willis because he thought DTrain was hurt. Is he better than a #5? Yes. But he's not the difference maker of a few years ago....
As far as making the playoffs, we don't have to worry about Boston or Anaheim cuz they have nothing to do with our chances (they should win their respective divisions). The teams left to contend with would be Detroit, Cleveland, and the Yanks. Personally, I see the Yanks having a very mediocre year and not making the playoffs. They do have some good young pitchers, but god are they old. Pettitte is waaaaay past his prime (I can't believe he makes 16 mil), Posada should come back down to earth offensively, and I'm not sure how Joba is going to do after lineups see him once or twice thru the lineup (I think his best spot is the bullpen/future closer).
With moves I'd like to see KW make, in a perfect world, we'd add a leadoff hitting CF'er and 2 quality bullpen arms. I do feel Contreras will bounce back this year to be more dominant than not. Is Danks and Floyd at the back end shaky? Probably. But KW did acquire these guys thinking they were the future, so with Danks having a full season under his belt to realize what it takes to make it thru a full year, and Floyd doing all he can in AAA and out of options, we need to find out now. If Floyd doesn't live up to the task, we have guys in Broadway and maybe Gio/Egbert (by the All-Star Break) that can step in. So I wouldn't say acquiring a veteran SP would be at the top of my list.
I'd love to add Fukudome to CF since he brings so much to the table, hopefully we can outbid the Cubs. The only free agent relievers I see that I would be interested in would be Jeremy Affeldt or Octavio Dotel. I haven't heard much interest in them or what they'd require.....definitely less than Linebrink. If not thru free agent, then we can use Uribe/Crede/the failed bullpen arms of '07 to acquire some bullpen guys.
I'll come up with more stuff later, but that's what I'm initialing thinking about....

btrain929
12-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Next, try to get Bedard and Roberts for a package like Konerko, Danks, Gio, Masset, Richar and one of Sweeney/Anderson/Crede.

Dye moves to 1B where he probably belongs in this point of his career anyway. A couple of years ago I read that he said he'd like to play some 1B, and although he would certainly be a downgrade from Konerko defensively, he's a good enough athlete to become more than adequate there after playing an entire spring training at 1B.

Roberts 2B
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Dye 1B
Fukudome RF
Rowand CF
Pierzynski C
Fields 3B
Quentin LF

Buehrle
Vazquez
Bedard
Contreras
Floyd

I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure Bedard would be our ace, not our #3, especially considering what we gave up for him.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure Bedard would be our ace, not our #3, especially considering what we gave up for him.
It doesn't really matter. I just put Buehrle at the top of the list out of respect since he's currently our number one, and I put Bedard third after Vazquez to avoid two leftys in a row.

The point is the proposed trade coupled with the proposed FA signings fills most of the holes and makes the Sox a contender.

whitesoxstud
12-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I agree with some of the comments previously, but here is what I would do as a GM, not necessarily what we "should do". Fields at third, he did fine at third and his bat was hot, this year expect him to bat .270 minimun with 20-25 longballs. I would trade any combination of arms in the bullpen that were terrible last year, Joe Crede, and Juan Uribe for a combination of a lead off outfielder, and 2-3 pitchers (one starter, two arms in the bullpen). Might have to spend a little money to make that happen, but free up money without having Crede and Uribe with Richar playing 2nd base and Fields playing 3rd base and worst case scenario Sweeney as an outfielder. Agree/Disagree?

whitesoxstud
12-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree with some of the comments previously, but here is what I would do as a GM, not necessarily what we "should do". Fields at third, he did fine at third and his bat was hot, this year expect him to bat .270 minimun with 20-25 longballs. I would trade any combination of arms in the bullpen that were terrible last year, Joe Crede, and Juan Uribe for a combination of a lead off outfielder, and 2-3 pitchers (one starter, two arms in the bullpen). Might have to spend a little money to make that happen, but free up money without having Crede and Uribe with Richar playing 2nd base and Fields playing 3rd base and worst case scenario Sweeney as an outfielder. Agree/Disagree?

DumpJerry
12-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Roberts 2B
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Dye 1B
Fukudome RF
Rowand CF
Pierzynski C
Fields 3B
Quentin LF

Buehrle
Vazquez
Bedard
Contreras
Floyd

Are you the guy who called in to Rongey's show today? A caller proposed a similar deal for Bedard and Roberts which Ranger shot down because he felt that the O's would not give up that much talent for what was being offered.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Are you the guy who called in to Rongey's show today? A caller proposed a similar deal for Bedard and Roberts which Ranger shot down because he felt that the O's would not give up that much talent for what was being offered.
No. I didn't get to listen to Rongey this morning.

EMachine10
12-08-2007, 06:01 PM

:o:

gr8mexico
12-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Well the best moves the Sox can make is trade for Orlando Hudson. that fills both spots, you get a leadoff hitter and a gold glove second baseman. Second you trade Joe Crede to the Brewers for Chris Capuano and third you trade Juan Uribe for a bag of Churros:bandance:
Opening Day lineup:

1 Hudson 2B
2 Cabrera SS
3 Thome DH
4 Konerko 1B
5 Dye RF
6 Pierzynski C
7 Quentin LF
8 Fields 3B
9 Owens CF
Rotation
1 Mark Buehrle