PDA

View Full Version : Question about Roberts and Bedard

Stoky44
12-08-2007, 12:53 PM
I am not starting one of those threads that says we should get these guys and then make up a line up sayin look that lineup/rotation looks good.

However, I want to know if we are looking into these guys. Roberts would take care of a lead off guy, and is an upgrade at 2B. I would then feel better if we then went "in house" with the other 2 OF spots; if we don't get anyone. Plus Bedard would be a good pick up that the O's are looking as they wouldn't mind moving.

Do the Sox not have the prospects/players to get these guys? Would the Sox not want them?

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I am not starting one of those threads that says we should get these guys and then make up a line up sayin look that lineup/rotation looks good.

However, I want to know if we are looking into these guys. Roberts would take care of a lead off guy, and is an upgrade at 2B. I would then feel better if we then went "in house" with the other 2 OF spots; if we don't get anyone. Plus Bedard would be a good pick up that the O's are looking as they wouldn't mind moving.

Do the Sox not have the prospects/players to get these guys? Would the Sox not want them?

I think a package of Danks, Gio, Konerko, Richar and Masset may get them. Maybe add one of Crede/Sweeney/Anderson for good measure.

If that trade did happen, they can try to sign Rowand to play CF and Fukudome to play RF, moving Dye to 1B where he probably belongs anyway at this point in his career. (Putting on asbestos suit getting ready for the flames for this last point)

BTW, a couple of years ago I remember reading that Jermaine wanted to start playing some 1B. He'd certainly be a defensive downgrade from Konerko at least in the beginning, but I'm confident that Dye is a good enough athlete that after a full spring training playing at 1B he could become more than adequate at the position.

The Thomenator
12-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Do the Sox not have the prospects/players to get these guys? Would the Sox not want them? To answer your last question, yes. I think the Sox would and should want these two. Do they have the prospects to get it done? Your guess is as good as mine. I would be willing to bet someone else could give them a better package for both or each. Richar, Gio, Fields, and two of Danks, Floyd, Egbert, Broadway would be a the best package the Sox would be willing to part with. Fautino DLS hopefully isn't thought of here.

cards press box
12-08-2007, 01:22 PM

Bedard and Roberts would fit nicely with a lot of clubs, including the White Sox. As always, any possible transaction comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. Would Baltimore's asking price justify such an acquisition?

I haven't seen some of our so-called media (particularly one big-mouth blogger who impersonates a columnist at the Sun-Times) engage in this (or any) type of analysis with this (or any) offseason's transactions. Some media critics viciously attacked the Sox when the Tigers acquired Miguel Cabrera. But the Tigers literally sold the farm to get Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis from the Marlins and Edgar Renteria from the Braves. Moreover, 3/5 of the projected Tigers rotation (Willis, Rogers and Bonderman) was hurt and/or ineffective last year. Nate Robertson was no great shakes, either. The newspapers don't talk about that but rather focus on the latest big splash. Some media members (particularly the Sun-Times resident blogger) are nothing more than little children whose sense of history spans a whole five minutes.

Anyway, to get back to your question. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox get Roberts and Bedard but not at the price of "selling the farm" as the Tigers just did. What happens to Detroit if Cabrera walks two years from now? The Tigers haven't won the World Series since 1984 so perhaps the team feels that the potential reward justifies the risk. The Sox won the Series just two years ago. Shouldn't the Sox, therefore, be a little more guarded before trading such prospects as Gio Gonzalez, John Danks, Lance Broadway, Faustino de los Santos or Ryan Sweeney?

The Thomenator
12-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Bedard and Roberts would fit nicely with a lot of clubs, including the White Sox. As always, any possible transaction comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. Would Baltimore's asking price justify such an acquisition?

I haven't seen some of our so-called media (particularly one big-mouth blogger who impersonates a columnist at the Sun-Times) engage in this (or any) type of analysis with this (or any) offseason's transactions. Some media critics viciously attacked the Sox when the Tigers acquired Miguel Cabrera. But the Tigers literally sold the farm to get Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis from the Marlins and Edgar Renteria from the Braves. Moreover, 3/5 of the projected Tigers rotation (Willis, Rogers and Bonderman) was hurt and/or ineffective last year. Nate Robertson was no great shakes, either. The newspapers don't talk about that but rather focus on the latest big splash. Some media members (particularly the Sun-Times resident blogger) are nothing more than little children whose sense of history spans a whole five minutes.

Anyway, to get back to your question. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox get Roberts and Bedard but not at the price of "selling the farm" as the Tigers just did. What happens to Detroit if Cabrera walks two years from now? The Tigers haven't won the World Series since 1984 so perhaps the team feels that the potential reward justifies the risk. The Sox won the Series just two years ago. Shouldn't the Sox, therefore, be a little more guarded before trading such prospects as Gio Gonzalez, John Danks, Lance Broadway, Faustino de los Santos or Ryan Sweeney?

I, on the other hand, would "sell the farm." If, of that group you just mentioned, Gio, Danks, Broadway, and Sweeney are included in a package, I wouldn't even blink. Bedard is 28 and Roberts is 30. You can argue that that Roberts is a top 5 leadoff hitter and Bedard is a top 10 SP in the majors. These type of players rarely come available.

asindc
12-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I, on the other hand, would "sell the farm." If, of that group you just mentioned, Gio, Danks, Broadway, and Sweeney are included in a package, I wouldn't even blink. Bedard is 28 and Roberts is 30. You can argue that that Roberts is a top 5 leadoff hitter and Bedard is a top 10 SP in the majors. These type of players rarely come available.

Normally I wouldn't agree with giving up so many prospects, but in this case I would do it. Roberts and Bedard are the real deal. They would instantly solve most of our pressing needs: leadoff hitter, speed and OBP, reliable 3rd (or 2nd even) starter, and allow the young arms to develop more gradually. I'm for. I think Baltimore would hold out, though, for at least one big "name." I don't know if Crede is that name or not.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Normally I wouldn't agree with giving up so many prospects, but in this case I would do it. Roberts and Bedard are the real deal. They would instantly solve most of our pressing needs: leadoff hitter, speed and OBP, reliable 3rd (or 2nd even) starter, and allow the young arms to develop more gradually. I'm for. I think Baltimore would hold out, though, for at least one big "name." I don't know if Crede is that name or not.
Konerko?

The Thomenator
12-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Konerko?

They wouldn't want the contract. This is where that Konerko to the D'Backs deal would be great. We could spin some of those prospects to Baltimore.

broker3d
12-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I brought up the trade idea of Bedard and Roberts weeks ago. IMO, we would start with Fields, Danks, Richar and one of the following pitchers (Floyd, Gio, Egbert and Broadway) and probably throw in a Sweeney or Anderson. Add Rowand as CF and platoon Owens/Ozuna in left. Lineup:

Roberts
Cabrera
Rowand (not perfect at 3 but i don't want Thome or Pauly there)
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Crede
AJ
Owens/Ozuna

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 04:25 PM
They wouldn't want the contract. This is where that Konerko to the D'Backs deal would be great. We could spin some of those prospects to Baltimore.

Ther is no evidence that Orioles are going on the cheap. They are only exploring trading Tejada and Mora because they are slowing down in a big way. As for Bedard: They could not reach an agreement on an extension; hence they are trading him.

Also the Orioles were offering Konerko 6/75 the winter we re-signed Pauly to 5/60. They have a definite need at 1B, and they would have him locked up for 3 more years at a reasonable 12 mil per. Pauly is not slowing down and is still of solid value to a team.

The Orioles are not a salary dumping type team ala Pirates/Marlins/Rays, etc... They wanted top prospects from the Dodgers because LA is not willing to part with any current starters that have value.

SBSoxFan
12-08-2007, 10:10 PM

If the Sox got Bedard, who is out of the rotation? Danks who spent most of the year there, or Floyd who is out of options?

Ther is no evidence that Orioles are going on the cheap. They are only exploring trading Tejada and Mora because they are slowing down in a big way. As for Bedard: They could not reach an agreement on an extension; hence they are trading him.

Also the Orioles were offering Konerko 6/75 the winter we re-signed Pauly to 5/60. They have a definite need at 1B, and they would have him locked up for 3 more years at a reasonable 12 mil per. Pauly is not slowing down and is still of solid value to a team.

The Orioles are not a salary dumping type team ala Pirates/Marlins/Rays, etc... They wanted top prospects from the Dodgers because LA is not willing to part with any current starters that have value.

Is it possible the Orioles are on Paulie's no trade list?

mcp5185
12-09-2007, 06:07 AM

The offer was 5/65 not 6/75.

If the Sox got Bedard, who is out of the rotation? Danks who spent most of the year there, or Floyd who is out of options?

Is it possible the Orioles are on Paulie's no trade list?

I would imagine in order to get Bedard and Roberts that Danks would be involved in the deal. If we get to keep Danks, we could use Floyd as a long relief/spot starter.

SBSoxFan
12-09-2007, 06:34 AM
I would imagine in order to get Bedard and Roberts that Danks would be involved in the deal.

Oh, good point.

Did I read somewhere that the O's asked for Ramirez for Roberts? According to my local newspaper, Phil Rogers said the Cubs were offering Sean Gallagher and Matt Murton.

A. Cavatica
12-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Pauly is not slowing down

I'm not going to touch this one.