PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Get Torres

Lip Man 1
12-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Milwaukee just got Solomon Torres from the Pirates for two minor league players.

I know Kenny had his eye on him for the past few years but according to some, the former Pirates G.M. was very hard to work with and demanded a lot for his players.

Lip

MUsoxfan
12-07-2007, 03:24 PM
I don't understand the Pirates' willingness to hand over good players to division foes.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken this is the same Solomon Torres who beaned Sosa a few years ago. Even cracking his helmet.

He was already a south side favorite, good for Milwaukee though.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DSammy%2BSosa%2Bhit%2Bby%2Bpit ch%26y%3DSearch%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26x%3Dwrt%26js%3D1%26ni%3D18&w=624&h=621&imgurl=www.startribune.com%2Fstonline%2Fimages%2Fn ews11%2FCUBS_P_52MPD.l.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.startribune.com%2Fstonline%2 Fimages%2Fnews11%2FCUBS_P_52MPD.l.jpg&size=51.1kB&name=CUBS_P_52MPD.l.jpg&p=Sammy+Sosa+hit+by+pitch&type=jpeg&no=8&tt=14&oid=615ee05ddffb9510&ei=UTF-8

Luke
12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
That's a good acquisition. He's a work horse.

Sockinchisox
12-07-2007, 03:41 PM
If he bounces back after last year it is, but giving that they gave up nothing for him it's pretty solid even if he doesn't.

UserNameBlank
12-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Alright! Another veteran MR/LR with a nice track record and who is capable of throwing multiple innings from any spot of the bullpen is off the market. Last year he was injured and he still worked 52.2 innings, and between 2003-2006 the fewest number of innings he's worked in a season is 92.0. He was available cheaply and we likely could have picked him up for a couple of our project relievers.

Well, I guess Kenny STILL doesn't think that it is important to have a veteran guy in that role. Maybe we'll see another rookie in there again this year like McCarthy in '06 and Masset in '07. Hooray...

Please Kenny, make sure you continue to neglect the front of the bullpen so you have enough money to sign the great Aaron Rowand to an albatross contract. Then you'll be able to sell off Anderson and Sweeney for way below value.

*Edit: if Kenny has only $0.50 ($15 million) to spend, then Torres was only about a fifth of the price. But then I guess you can't spend a dime when you only have two quarters???

santo=dorf
12-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Salomon Torres is considering retirement in the wake of Friday's trade sending him to Milwaukee.

"It's a giant move, and I have to make a decision if I want to go forward," Torres said. "This is going to change my life, my family's life. If I leave them here, they're going to have to be without me for a full year. If I take them with me, they're going to be affected." What makes this bizarre is that Torres actually asked for a trade during last season, and now he's upset even though he was sent to a team that isn't so far away from Pittsburgh and will play three series there next year. It's unlikely that Friday's trade would be overturned if Torres does choose retirement. He said he's not close to making a decision.

His numbers are decling too.

Sockinchisox
12-08-2007, 02:23 PM

This has to be the reason that they've suddenly changed their tune on Gagne.

UserNameBlank
12-08-2007, 02:43 PM
He was injured. Take a look at his numbers before 2007.

Torres looks to be one of baseball's good guys. He filed a grievance last year because Littlefield screwed him over. Torres took a below-market extension under the agreement that the Pirates would lease one of his baseball acadmies in the DR, but the Pirates never did that. Don't know what happened there, but he seems like a nice guy.

Paulwny
12-08-2007, 02:55 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post-gazette Torres may retire rather than report to the Brewers. He'll discuss it with his family and make a decision in a few days.

santo=dorf
12-08-2007, 03:30 PM
He was injured. Take a look at his numbers before 2007.

Torres looks to be one of baseball's good guys. He filed a grievance last year because Littlefield screwed him over. Torres took a below-market extension under the agreement that the Pirates would lease one of his baseball acadmies in the DR, but the Pirates never did that. Don't know what happened there, but he seems like a nice guy.
Yes, I notice the 1.46 WHIP in 2006.

So why should we be going overboard for an old NL pitcher just coming off an injury plagued season who would rather retire instead of not playing with the Pirates?

ComiskeyBrewer
12-08-2007, 03:41 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post-gazette Torres may retire rather than report to the Brewers. He'll discuss it with his family and make a decision in a few days.

The reason being that he doesn't want to move his family because it could be hard on them(and if they stayed there, they wouldn't see him at all). He said if he does report, he will give the Brewers his all. The guy is simply putting his family first. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

santo=dorf
12-08-2007, 03:46 PM
The reason being that he doesn't want to move his family because it could be hard on them(and if they stayed there, they wouldn't see him at all). He said if he does report, he will give the Brewers his all. The guy is simply putting his family first. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
Except that if he retires, the Brewers still gave up two players for nothing. He's also a hypocrite as he told the Pirates last season he wouldn't mind being traded.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Except that if he retires, the Brewers still gave up two players for nothing. He's also a hypocrite as he told the Pirates last season he wouldn't mind being traded.

The two players the Brewers gave up were waiver wire pick ups last year. It's not like they were mid-level prospects or anything.

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Reports are now coming out that the Brewers are close to signing Gagne to a one year deal. I'd imagine he'd win the closers job there pretty easily.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Reports are now coming out that the Brewers are close to signing Gagne to a one year deal. I'd imagine he'd win the closers job there pretty easily.

It looks like it's gonna be 1 year, $10 million. A high risk, high reward deal.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/12/08/gagne-deal-is-for-one-year.aspx

SBSoxFan
12-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Torres sounded like a nice pickup, but he made 90+ :o: appearances in '06, and then was injured in '07. That's probably not a coincidence. He may rebound; he may be done.

soxinem1
12-08-2007, 09:50 PM
It looks like it's gonna be 1 year, $10 million. A high risk, high reward deal.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/12/08/gagne-deal-is-for-one-year.aspx

And if that turns out to be true, they more than recovered their bullpen losses.

Gagne + Riske + Torres is by far >>>> Cordero + Linebrink

If Turnbow can throw strikes, look out. That really bolsters their pen.

Gagne is a full year recovered from surgery, and closing again.

I hope MIL puts the finishing touch on the NLC this time.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-10-2007, 09:46 AM
I hope MIL puts the finishing touch on the NLC this time.

I don't see why they shouldn't. Outside of the Reds signing Cordero, no one else in that division has done anything to significantly improve themselves thus far.