PDA

View Full Version : Winter Meetings W&L

Soxfest
12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
From Scott Miller CBS Sportsline in losers section

Chicago White Sox: They failed to land Miguel Cabrera, they couldn't snag Torii Hunter, they finished 24 games behind Cleveland last season and 16 games behind Detroit ... and the Tigers are only getting better. Ouch.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10516780 (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10516780)

and

#1 loser here http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/12/07/scoop.friday/index.html

1. White Sox. Two years removed from a world championship, they might be on the brink of being buried in the AL Central by Detroit.
Beyond that, they lost out on their two biggest targets, Cabrera and Hunter, and are still holding two third basemen (Josh Fields and Joe Crede), two shortstops (Orlando Cabrera and Juan Uribe) and no center fielder.
They could try to bring back Aaron Rowand, but they correctly never saw him as being in the class of Hunter.

Britt Burns
12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Anyone remember how the media crowed about how our additions of Vazquez and Thome in the 2005 offseason had made us that much stronger? How Sheffield was supposed to be the missing piece for the 2007 Tigers? Etc, etc.

That being said, it has been a crappy offseason for us.

jcw218
12-07-2007, 03:46 PM
The offseason has lacked a big name addition to the Sox, but to say that it's sucked is a bit premature. Is a 20 game improvement realistic for this club, I dont think so. What I'd like to see from this team is to finish with a winning record for 2008 giving our kids an opportunity to gain experience and improve their skills. The Sox are a better team than the one that was on the field for the 2007 season. There were a myriad of things that went wrong last season.

spawn
12-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Funny...the Sox are losers and are catching heat because they didn't acquire Torii and missed out on getting Miggy. Didn't the Angels miss out on getting Cabrera? Didn't the Rangers miss out on signing Torii? The Sox didn't get much better, but they weren't the only team going into the Winter Meetings expecting to acquire a big name only to get shut out. The only difference I see between us and these other GM's is KW provided more sound bytes. The Cubs did nothing, yet the Chicago media seems to be giving them a pass. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE the offseason??? :redneck

chisoxmike
12-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Guess we're ****ed, uh?

spiffie
12-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Funny...the Sox are losers and are catching heat because they didn't acquire Torii and missed out on getting Miggy. Didn't the Angels miss out on getting Cabrera? Didn't the Rangers miss out on signing Torii? The Sox didn't get much better, but they weren't the only team going into the Winter Meetings expecting to acquire a big name only to get shut out. The only difference I see between us and these other GM's is KW provided more sound bytes. The Cubs did nothing, yet the Chicago media seems to be giving them a pass. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE the offseason??? :redneck
The Angels and the Cubs won their divisions last year. That kind of makes it a bit less of a problem when they don't improve their team than when you finish 24 games back. The Cubs, without adding anyone, would still have to be considered the favorites, or at least the co-favorites in that division. The Angels added Torii Hunter to a team that already was the best team in their division, so I'm sure they're not too depressed. And I'd be mightily confused if the Chicago media talked about the Rangers as much as they do about the Sox.

spawn
12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
The Angels and the Cubs won their divisions last year. That kind of makes it a bit less of a problem when they don't improve their team than when you finish 24 games back. The Cubs, without adding anyone, would still have to be considered the favorites, or at least the co-favorites in that division. The Angels added Torii Hunter to a team that already was the best team in their division, so I'm sure they're not too depressed. And I'd be mightily confused if the Chicago media talked about the Rangers as much as they do about the Sox.
How many other teams that didn't make the playoffs did nothing to improve their team? Also, I didn't mention anything about the Chicago media talking about the Rangers.

spiffie
12-07-2007, 04:07 PM
How many other teams that didn't make the playoffs did nothing to improve their team? Also, I didn't mention anything about the Chicago media talking about the Rangers.
My bad on the Chicago media. I didn't look at the link, and thought it was referring to the W&L article in the Trib today. :redface:

That said, no one was more public in their failed pursuits than the White Sox. When you say nothing, and leave no one with expectations of what you admittedly are hoping to do, it is hard to say you failed. But when you set the bar very high, and then pretty much whiff on what you were trying to do, you open yourself up to criticism, its the way of things. Also, even though we aren't the Red Sox or Yankees, the Sox are a high profile team these days. They're in that second tier of teams with the Angels, Cardinals, Braves, etc. in terms of attention, so their failures will be more magnified than those of the Rangers or the Rays.

spawn
12-07-2007, 04:17 PM
My bad on the Chicago media. I didn't look at the link, and thought it was referring to the W&L article in the Trib today. :redface:

That said, no one was more public in their failed pursuits than the White Sox. When you say nothing, and leave no one with expectations of what you admittedly are hoping to do, it is hard to say you failed. But when you set the bar very high, and then pretty much whiff on what you were trying to do, you open yourself up to criticism, its the way of things. Also, even though we aren't the Red Sox or Yankees, the Sox are a high profile team these days. They're in that second tier of teams with the Angels, Cardinals, Braves, etc. in terms of attention, so their failures will be more magnified than those of the Rangers or the Rays.
I guess this is my point...the only reason the Sox are on the list as losers is because KW made it known the players he was trying to acquire. I can understand not talking about the Yankees and Red Sox, and I see your point about the WSox being higher profile. The Cardinals are a high profile team but did nothing to improve themselves, and they are only a year removed from winning the WS. The Mets traded Lastings Milledge, but didn't make themselves any better after a total collapse last season. I would say those are two teams who should be bigger losers than us, at least in the SI column.

WizardsofOzzie
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
:chickenlittle

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2007, 05:32 PM
We still have to play the games and there's still a lot people out there that we can sign...having said that, it was disappointing Winter Meeting's

BeviBall!
12-07-2007, 05:32 PM
How can you disagree with this? We are backlogged at third, have no CF, inundated at SS, a barely improved bullpen and only 4/5ths of a rotation. There's no question KW worked as hard as he always does... but this time there were no takers. Lots of billable hours with no profit to show for it. Good thing is there are still a few months left.

nccwsfan
12-07-2007, 05:36 PM
From Scott Miller CBS Sportsline in losers section

Chicago White Sox: They failed to land Miguel Cabrera, they couldn't snag Torii Hunter, they finished 24 games behind Cleveland last season and 16 games behind Detroit ... and the Tigers are only getting better. Ouch.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10516780 (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10516780)

and

#1 loser here http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/12/07/scoop.friday/index.html

1. White Sox. Two years removed from a world championship, they might be on the brink of being buried in the AL Central by Detroit.
Beyond that, they lost out on their two biggest targets, Cabrera and Hunter, and are still holding two third basemen (Josh Fields and Joe Crede), two shortstops (Orlando Cabrera and Juan Uribe) and no center fielder.
They could try to bring back Aaron Rowand, but they correctly never saw him as being in the class of Hunter.

They speak for all of us...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/images/cover/2004/t1cover_0405.jpg

Paulwny
12-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Must have been an exciting time for GM's in Nashville.

From the Toronto Globe and Mail:
True story: The Blue Jays were sitting in their suite on Wednesday, shooting the breeze. Telephone rings. It's the Seattle Mariners. Bill Bavasi, their GM, wants to talk. Gives J.P. Ricciardi the team's suite number. So off go the Blue Jays, wondering what it was all about. A young pitcher for Alex Rios? "We don't want to talk about anything between us," Bavasi tells Ricciardi as he enters the room. "We're just tired of looking at each other. We wanted somebody else to talk to and figured you guys would be fun."

chisox77
12-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think Nashville was fun for KW. He put in a lot of hard work and the results did not come about. It had to be frustrating. And now he's taking a lot of heat. GM is a very tough job.

:cool:

Martinigirl
12-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Couldn't this have been included in the multiple other threads that imply we are ****ed for the foreseeable future?

kittle42
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
We still have to play the games and there's still a lot people out there that we can sign...having said that, it was disappointing Winter Meeting's

Not as disappointing as that!

Frontman
12-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Guess we're ****ed, uh?

Yep, time to get ready for Bourbonais. Go 2008 Bears!

Frontman
12-08-2007, 12:36 AM
How can you disagree with this? We are backlogged at third, have no CF, inundated at SS, a barely improved bullpen and only 4/5ths of a rotation. There's no question KW worked as hard as he always does... but this time there were no takers. Lots of billable hours with no profit to show for it. Good thing is there are still a few months left.

1: Without seeing if Crede is good to go, I'm not about to say we're backlogged at third.

2: Yes, as it stands we don't have a CF better than Owens; but again, there are still Free Agent CF's out there, and we yet can still trade for one. There is no rule against making trades after the Winter Meetings end.

3: That's with the assumption that Uribe will still be with the club on Opening Day. I'm not entirely certain that's going to be the case.

4: A barely improved bullpen is miles ahead of where it was last year.

5: We assume that we only have 4/5ths. You never know what the Sox will do.

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Yep, time to get ready for Bourbonais. Go 2008 Bears!Dan McNeil, is that you?

Martinigirl
12-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Going back to my post stating that I felt Kenny was joking about his comment regarding the Tigers just trying to keep up with us, this is from Scott Reifert's blog. His description is exactly how I saw it.

Stunned
I have to be honest that I was stunned by today's tabloid and then to hear other reaction to KW's quote that the Miguel Cabrera trade only put the Tigers in better position to contend with us. I took the comment completely as dry humor both when he said it to Chicago writers and later on when he did a bone-chilling outdoor interview with Chicago Tribune Live. I really am stunned that people took this comment literally ...
Sometimes you have to laugh through the grimace.

nccwsfan
12-08-2007, 03:20 AM
Going back to my post stating that I felt Kenny was joking about his comment regarding the Tigers just trying to keep up with us, this is from Scott Reifert's blog. His description is exactly how I saw it.

Stunned
I have to be honest that I was stunned by today's tabloid and then to hear other reaction to KW's quote that the Miguel Cabrera trade only put the Tigers in better position to contend with us. I took the comment completely as dry humor both when he said it to Chicago writers and later on when he did a bone-chilling outdoor interview with Chicago Tribune Live. I really am stunned that people took this comment literally ...
Sometimes you have to laugh through the grimace.

I'm amazed at how many people have commented on this but didn't or haven't seen it. It is so blatantly obvious that this was a positive spin/dry humor comment that it's not even worth elaborating on.

goon
12-08-2007, 04:20 AM
I am excited to see Orlando Cabrera and Carlos Quentin play this season. In those two deals it seemed like Kenny did a good job filling holes on this team. A number #2 hitter who plays great defense and a talented OF that could start or at least add depth to the position, the bullpen is at least better.

They still... need a leadoff hitter... probably need another pitcher in the pen, maybe through a trade...have to figure out who's playing 3B. There are some moves that HAVE to be made, it's just a matter of time.

Frontman
12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Dan McNeil, is that you?

Dem's fightin' words dere, buddy. I actually can talk without sounding like one of the Superfans. :wink: