PDA

View Full Version : Would Anybody Actually Pick Up Bonds?

Madvora
12-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Barry Bonds says he wants to play in 2008, but could there really be a team that would sign this guy?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22146720/

munchman33
12-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Barry Bonds says he wants to play in 2008, but could there really be a team that would sign this guy?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22146720/

Well, he's not gonna start his trial until after the season starts. And he could probably hit .280 with 30 bombs and a .500 OBP as a full-time DH. I can see someone like Oakland picking him up if he agrees to a very cheap, incentive-packed deal.

Fenway
12-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Guess what team wants him. West will be overjoyed :tongue:

Oakland is considered the hot pick to sign the free-agent outfielder despite his legal troubles and the potential public-relations issues that accompany him.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Oakland will sign Bonds," one major-league executive said Thursday as the winter meetings wound down. "I'd be shocked if it didn't happen."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/07/SP2STPL2P.DTL

Madvora
12-07-2007, 12:36 PM
How could any team's fans be happy about that?

Fenway
12-07-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.bigfool.com/mascots/stomper.jpg

GAsoxfan
12-07-2007, 12:44 PM

They may be upset at first, but after he starts producing they'll cheer for him.

Chicken Dinner
12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
If Bonds goes with the A's, I'm sure that they'll have to open up the upper deck to let all of the Giant fans in.

palehozenychicty
12-07-2007, 01:04 PM
If Bonds goes with the A's, I'm sure that they'll have to open up the upper deck to let all of the Giant fans in.

So true!

The Bart will be packed on gameday. :rolling:

RichH55
12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm probably in the minority...but I'd take Bonds

munchman33
12-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Say you were the Royals. You haven't been able to cheer for a long time. All of a sudden, you sign Bonds. And your offense is exciting.

And let's be honest. Most people don't hate Bonds because of the steroids thing. Lots of guys did them. And most people don't hate Bonds because of the legal thing. Plenty of athletes have gotten away with a lot worse than perjury. No, people don't like Bonds because he's an *******. But hometown fans always rally around guys that produce, no matter how big an ******* said star tends to be.

rdwj
12-07-2007, 01:55 PM

I would boycott until the day he was gone at the very least

Flight #24
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
:fobbgod:
"He's my kind of guy! I'm all about those esoteric stats that drive my success like SLGHGH (HGH-adjusted slugging percentage) and TSR (testicle shrinkage ratio)!

Heck, if it's an acronym I love it! I even lurk here on WSI just to read posts by FWC and PHG!"

Rocky Soprano
12-07-2007, 02:14 PM

:?:

Hell no!

rowand33
12-07-2007, 03:52 PM

If somebody came up to me with a deal and told me that the white sox would win the world series in 2008 if and only if barry bonds played for us, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.

Anybody that says otherwise is nuts.

Love of White Sox>Hatred of Barry Bonds.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-07-2007, 05:18 PM

Not only the fans, can you imagine the reaction from would-be teammates. What team and manager wants a complete media circus and distraction all year long? What player wants to be asked about Bonds and his mood on a daily basis?

One could argue the positive business aspects of signing him (national team attention and jersey sales), which would only be argued as a benefit for a losing team that could afford the disruption in the clubhouse. However, I would still argue that even if the team isn't going to win, said team would be better off playing a young guy for development purposes and avoiding turning away fans who would be upset with the move.

esbrechtel
12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
can he play CF? :redneck

ChiSoxPatF
12-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Say you were the Royals. You haven't been able to cheer for a long time. All of the sudden, you sign Bonds. And your offense is exciting.

Dead-on. I would argue, if I were a Royals fan, to actually go out and sign him. I am no Bonds apologists - in fact, its hard not to utterly loathe the guy after reading Game of Shadows - but there really isn't much to root for as a Royals fan. Why not see the home run champion carry your team with gaudy numbers on his march to 800? In fact, Bonds in a Royals uniform reaching the 800 plateau would be the first time the national media and excitement would have descended upon Kaufman stadium in a long time.

Just my two cents, but its certainly a personal judgment call.

MisterB
12-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Oakland is considered the hot pick to sign the free-agent outfielder despite his legal troubles and the potential public-relations issues that accompany him.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Oakland will sign Bonds," one major-league executive said Thursday as the winter meetings wound down. "I'd be shocked if it didn't happen."

Bonds would fit in perfectly with the A's...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x155/McBogue/OaklandAnabolics.jpg http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x155/McBogue/pachydermic.jpg

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2007, 12:31 AM
If somebody came up to me with a deal and told me that the white sox would win the world series in 2008 if and only if barry bonds played for us, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.

Love of White Sox>Hatred of Barry Bonds.So, ethics mean absolutely nothing to you. Just win, baby.

I guess I'm nuts.

rowand33
12-08-2007, 12:48 AM
So, ethics mean absolutely nothing to you. Just win, baby.

I guess I'm nuts.

For whatever team Bonds is on in 2008 (if any), do you think he'll take a single dose of any performance enhancer?

I don't.

He wouldn't be helping the Sox by cheating; I see no ethical dilema.

Nellie_Fox
12-08-2007, 01:05 AM
For whatever team Bonds is on in 2008 (if any), do you think he'll take a single dose of any performance enhancer?

I don't.

He wouldn't be helping the Sox by cheating; I see no ethical dilemma.There is still no reliable test for HGH.

His high-tech, lock your elbow into maximum hitting position, grandfathered-in, nobody-else-is-allowed-to-use-it elbow brace is enough for me.

But I already acknowledged that I'm nuts.

ChiSoxFan35
12-08-2007, 02:58 AM
The media in this town would have an erection if we had Bonds. It kind of scared me because I heard he's friends with Kenny, but I don't see Jerry okaying it

FarWestChicago
12-08-2007, 05:11 AM

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x155/McBogue/OaklandAnabolics.jpg http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x155/McBogue/pachydermic.jpgThis is all excellent. The A's brought 'roids to baseball. Moneyball is based on 'roids. They are basically the East Germans of baseball. It would be great if they just went public about it. The new and improved logos are wonderful.

Hey, find yourself a kid with a good eye, juice him up with the right stuff and you have yourself a cheap hitter and look like a genius!

Grzegorz
12-08-2007, 06:05 AM

I guess I'm nuts.

Anyone would have to be nuts if they believe Bonds is the catalyst to an Oakland Athletics championship season in 2008. :cool:

kevin57
12-08-2007, 06:50 AM
There's always one or more dumb GMs willing to make this sort of move. All logic would say that at the very least one should await the end of the trial and the contents of the Mitchell Report (and probable subsequent action by MLB). How can any GM have any confidence that BB will not be distracted and angry and self-absorbed during all this.

Hey, but that's the way BB is all the time!

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Ronnie Lane on the XM Home Plate show yesterday said that he has heard from good sources that if the A's/Billy Beane decide to not go into rebuilding mode that they would most certainkly sign him. I guess as of noe Beane has not decided wheather he will clean house or not.

Lane said that his sources point to the fact that the ONLY place where Bonds still has fans, and is held in high regard, is in the bay area --- besides the obvious DH need for the A's.

Red Barchetta
12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
At first glance, I would say no way, however after watching Texas let Sosa back into the league last year, nothing is impossible.

I think he signs with Oakland.

Red Barchetta
12-08-2007, 11:24 AM

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x155/McBogue/OaklandAnabolics.jpg http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x155/McBogue/pachydermic.jpg

I agree. It would make a nice bookend to the steroid era. What starts in Oakland ends in Oakland. :cool:

Jjav829
12-08-2007, 11:52 AM
:KW
"Wait until you guys hear what Plan 1Z is."

southside rocks
12-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Oh, nonsense. Lots of us fans have been following and supporting the Sox for decades, and we haven't been driven away by the lack of World Championships; and we wouldn't support any deal that essentially sold the soul of the team we love in order to win one.

I love this team in part BECAUSE it would never add a Barry Bonds or an Elijah Dukes to its roster. When KW talks about the type of person he wants in a Sox uniform, he isn't kidding.

Anyone who believes that winning trumps all else has some pretty skewed values.

rowand33
12-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Oh, nonsense. Lots of us fans have been following and supporting the Sox for decades, and we haven't been driven away by the lack of World Championships; and we wouldn't support any deal that essentially sold the soul of the team we love in order to win one.

I love this team in part BECAUSE it would never add a Barry Bonds or an Elijah Dukes to its roster. When KW talks about the type of person he wants in a Sox uniform, he isn't kidding.

You're right... Albert Belle and Jose Canseco were saints. The Sox would never employ a cheater.

Never!

Again...

:rolleyes:

I'm going to make this clear:

I don't like Barry Bonds. I don't want Barry Bonds on the White Sox

If Kenny signed Bonds on Wednesday, would you stop being a white sox fan?

A lot of you seem to say yes.

I say no.

soxinem1
12-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Hey, find yourself a kid with a good eye, juice him up with the right stuff and you have yourself a cheap hitter and look like a genius!

Though I am no big Billy Bean fan, the steriod stuff with OAK began when Sandy Alderson was GM and LaRussa the manager.

thomas35forever
12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
You're right... Albert Belle and Jose Canseco were saints. The Sox would never employ a cheater.

Never!

Again...

:rolleyes:

I'm going to make this clear:

I don't like Barry Bonds. I don't want Barry Bonds on the White Sox

If Kenny signed Bonds on Wednesday, would you stop being a white sox fan?

A lot of you seem to say yes.

I say no.
I direct you to this post:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1658950&postcount=16

Hitmenof77
12-08-2007, 06:20 PM

I guess I'm nuts.

There is still no reliable test for HGH.

His high-tech, lock your elbow into maximum hitting position, grandfathered-in, nobody-else-is-allowed-to-use-it elbow brace is enough for me.

But I already acknowledged that I'm nuts.

You are nuts, you admitted yourself. How do you know that nobody on the White Sox 05 World Series Championship team didn't take HGH or steroids? You just posted that there is no reliable test for HGH. Right?

Where were you during the steroid era? Yep, just as I thought at games, watching games, listening to games. So give me a break about ethics. Get off your high horse.

rowand33
12-08-2007, 06:53 PM
You are nuts, you admitted yourself. How do you know that nobody on the White Sox 05 World Series Championship team didn't take HGH or steroids? You just posted that there is no reliable test for HGH. Right?

Where were you during the steroid era? Yep, just as I thought at games, watching games, listening to games. So give me a break about ethics. Get off your high horse.

A lot of WSIers are going to be really, really bummed out when the Mitchell Report hits.

I'll be amazed if every club isn't represented.

FarWestChicago
12-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Though I am no big Billy Bean fan, the steriod stuff with OAK began when Sandy Alderson was GM and LaRussa the manager.And Billy Beane perfected it. Get your head out of the sand. Or maybe you believe Jason HGHiambi is truly a natural talent. :rolling:

Nellie_Fox
12-09-2007, 01:37 AM

Where were you during the steroid era? Yep, just as I thought at games, watching games, listening to games. So give me a break about ethics. Get off your high horse.So, because maybe there were Sox players on steroids (not unlikely, I concur) I should be happy if the Sox added Barry Bonds to the roster, knowing that he was a blatant cheater? I have no use for cheaters, post hoc or present.

doublem23
12-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Uh, has anyone made the point around here yet that they don't want Bonds because he's completely washed up, and we already have a slugging DH whose body would not hold up in the field already? (Except our guy is a decent human being capable of emotion and caring for others than himself?)

Frontman
12-09-2007, 09:33 AM

And your followup to that statement would be "And it only will cost me my soul, right Mr. Lucifer?"

Because a series championship to deal with Bonds would be like a deal with the Devil himself.

Frontman
12-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Uh, has anyone made the point around here yet that they don't want Bonds because he's completely washed up, and we already have a slugging DH whose body would not hold up in the field already? (Except our guy is a decent human being capable of emotion and caring for others than himself?)

Thome is the Anti-Barry Bonds in every way possible that matters as a human being. They just both happen to hit Home Runs. One did it on steroids (allegedly) the other on corn-fed farmboy diets.

Grzegorz
12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
One did it on steroids (allegedly) the other on corn-fed farmboy diets.

Maybe it was biologically engineered corn! :D:

downstairs
12-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Albert Belle?

Sorry, man, most fans for all teams will cheer ANYONE if they're performing well. ANYONE. Most people on this board- admit it or not- would cheer on Bonds.

Frontman
12-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Have you seen the size of chickens they raise in Peoria? Good GOD! :D:

Daver
12-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Almost all corn is bio-engineered nowadays.

Dan Mega
12-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Most people on this board- admit it or not- would cheer on Bonds.

Wrong.

soxinem1
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
And Billy Beane perfected it. Get your head out of the sand. Or maybe you believe Jason HGHiambi is truly a natural talent. :rolling:

:smile::smile:

I have always had my suspicions about Dave McKay when he was a coach with OAK. As a player, he was a thin scrub, then he sprouts into Mr. Muscleman overnight. McGwire was good buddies with him, and Mac was also Giambi's teammate too.......

Sure, Beane perfected it, but look at the others who may have been a part too:

Dave Stewart: Journeyman who could barely throw five innings in a start, then all of a sudden becomes a workhorse ace for a few seasons, then totally loses it.

Storm Davis and Bob Welch also lost their fastballs overnight too.

Geronimo Berroa, Dave Henderson, Mickey Tettleton and others become sluggers overnight.

I believe that mid-80's on era of OAK baseball was tainted by many cheaters.

And yes, Billy Beane kept it going, but it started with Alderson and LaRussa.

FarWestChicago
12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
And yes, Billy Beane kept it going, but it started with Alderson and LaRussa.There is no question where it started. You're right about that. :smile:

kaufsox
12-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Speaking of cheating and morally repugnant human beings, didn't the Sox employ Wil Cordero for a spell? I don't think the Sox have any great reservations about hiring questionable characters if they believe they can help win. Also, I'm not sure, but Bonds hasn't been implicated in any domestic abuse charges, so in my opinion, he wouldn't even be the worst person brought in during recent memory.

Schlaefer15
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Bonds would be a great lead of hitter for whatever club he signs with next year. Look at his OBS. He would be on almost every other time.

thomas35forever
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Bonds would be a great lead of hitter for whatever club he signs with next year. Look at his OBS. He would be on almost every other time.
Maybe, but he's not that fast. Besides, do you really think he's going to try and steal bases? Hell no. He probably just wants to put on a show for the fans.

D. TODD
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Bonds has GREAT value as a DH for an American league club. He will have no value if he is in a federal penn though.

Hitmenof77
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Bonds has GREAT value as a DH for an American league club. He will have no value if he is in a federal penn though.

Do you realize that the trial will not start for at least a year. So Bonds could play the 08 season and wouldn't miss any games due to the jail time and the trial.

kevin57
12-11-2007, 04:52 AM
Do you realize that the trial will not start for at least a year. So Bonds could play the 08 season and wouldn't miss any games due to the jail time and the trial.

And you don't believe that the trial and its accompaning circus won't be a huge distraction for him and whatever ball club he's on? We already had a guy (Uribe) under a legal cloud and another (Contreras) completely fogged out by a divorce. More judicial hassles are not needed on our club.

bigfoot
12-11-2007, 05:00 AM
Have you seen the size of chickens they raise in Peoria? Good GOD! :D:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:g4uMcgxavpm8OM:http://www.big-chicken.de/images/chicken.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.big-chicken.de/images/chicken.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.big-chicken.de/&h=483&w=304&sz=37&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=g4uMcgxavpm8OM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=81&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bbig%2Bchicken%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG)

russ99
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Most people on this board- admit it or not- would cheer on Bonds.

I got dragged to a Cubs-Giants game in the 90s, and as a card-carrying Cub hater, I actually cheered for Bonds - and he hit 3 HRs that day.

Looking back, I feel kind of dirty for doing so. I don't think I could deal with Bonds playing for the Sox.

As for signing him, some AL team might take a risk. It would have to be a heavy incentive-based deal, though. Worse than Frank's with the A's a few years back.

ode to veeck
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
So true!

The Bart will be packed on gameday. :rolling:

Nope, it will be evened out by all the A's fans who finally become disgusted with the team and stay away in droves. Perfect place for Bonds though, especially after the A's move to the chemical dump in Fremont

ode to veeck
12-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Bite your tongue

ode to veeck
12-11-2007, 11:34 AM

The earliest Bonds trial starts is at least a year off; he easily plays '08 if signed and healthy enough to play (which is a legit risk). One of the other BALCO indictees has already been waiting more than a year for the trial to start.

ode to veeck
12-11-2007, 11:35 AM
And you don't believe that the trial and its accompaning circus won't be a huge distraction for him and whatever ball club he's on? We already had a guy (Uribe) under a legal cloud and another (Contreras) completely fogged out by a divorce. More judicial hassles are not needed on our club.

That circus doesn't start until 2009 season