PDA

View Full Version : Who Says KW Hasn't Made Any Moves? (Sarcasm)

Thome25
12-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm starting to get ticked off with all of the media members and all of the chicken littles on this site who are whining and complaining about KW's lack of player moves.

Whoever thinks this team hasn't been active is full of ****. PERIOD. KW just started a little earlier than most GMs with his player signings etc.

What do you call the signings of Buehrle, Dye, Uribe and Pierzynski? Seems like we signed a few players huh? The fact that they were our own soon-to-be free agents is irrelevant.

How about Linebrink? Or the Orlando Cabrera deal? What about Quentin? KW has been pretty damn active in the trade and free agent market.

Like I said, he just started a little earlier than most GMs and signed some of our free agents before the season ended.

KW has been active and aggressive. In fact he has been more active thatn 90% of the other GMs in baseball by virtue of all the moves he's made in the last 6 months.

I'm sick and tired of all the pants pissing and whiny, crybaby bull**** from the media and fans on this site.

Boo Hoo.....we didn't get Hunter. Well I got news for you. He didn't want to be here in the first place. He actually said to a USA today reporter that we were "the enemy" and that he didn't like us and it would've been weird to play for the badguys. (paraphrasing)

Good riddance Torii.....have fun in LA....don't let the AL Central door hit your ass on the way out.

So we couldn't get Miguel Cabrera. Well guess what? WE DIDN'T NEED HIM!! He can't leadoff, play CF, or pitch in the starting rotation or out of the bullpen. (our most glaring needs.) We already have 2 3b as it is. and we just acquired a LF.

Who Agrees? Who's with me on this? GO WHITE SOX!!!

Rocky Soprano
12-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Love the spirit.
You made some great points, reading your post made me feel much better about the past few days.

GO SOX!

Law11
12-07-2007, 12:53 PM
and we needed another SS because???
We still have no leadoff hitter, no bullpen to speak of, no CF and if you call Quentin some big pick up your nuts.
Not to mention a rotation that scares the crap out of me.. Floyd,Danks & contreras? Really this is what your going to battle with?

veeter
12-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I like the way the off-season has gone so far. More will be done, but the three pick-ups are going to do the job. Carlos Quentin's aquisition compares to: Jose Valentin, Scott Podsednik, Keith Foulke, Neil Cotts and any other not-so-big name guys, that flourished with the Sox.(Kenny's specialty) Now, after he becomes great and wants a big contract, things will get ugly. But for now I like these moves.

voodoochile
12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
We still have no leadoff hitter, no bullpen to speak of, no CF and if you call Quentin some big pick up your nuts.
Not to mention a rotation that scares the crap out of me.. Floyd,Danks & contreras? Really this is what your going to battle with?

Wrong thread - the hater thread is down a couple...

areilly
12-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Agreeing with you would be the equivalent of me, small-time writer, deducing that since I've been published in magazines, I'm on par with the Gary Smiths and Chris Joneses of the world.

No one's saying KW hasn't made any moves, it's just that he hasn't made any that anyone can point to and say "Okay, we're getting there." 72 wins is a pretty deep hole to dig your way out of, and Scott Linebrink and Orlando Cabrera don't represent a 20-game turnaround.

I like your enthusiam though. Just wish I shared it. :cool:

Juice16
12-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Wrong thread - the hater thread is down a couple...

Why are people who don't agree with the Sox deals or lack of called haters?

voodoochile
12-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Not all of them are, just the rabid ones...

palehozenychicty
12-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Agreeing with you would be the equivalent of me, small-time writer, deducing that since I've been published in magazines, I'm on par with the Gary Smiths and Chris Joneses of the world.

No one's saying KW hasn't made any moves, it's just that he hasn't made any that anyone can point to and say "Okay, we're getting there." 72 wins is a pretty deep hole to dig your way out of, and Scott Linebrink and Orlando Cabrera don't represent a 20-game turnaround.

That is part of the issue with people all around, that with an average farm system and aging, injury-prone veterans a quick fix is in order. Not really. I think this year is really about showing solid improvement, then get ready for '09-'10. Nobody wants to admit it, but if the Sox make a 25-game turnaround next year, I'll eat it.

Chicken Dinner
12-07-2007, 01:19 PM
How do you play Ozzieball with a bunch of plow horses.

voodoochile
12-07-2007, 01:20 PM

Lots of stickum so you can get the bat to stay attached to the hooves.

Law11
12-07-2007, 01:22 PM

whatever, I guess voicing your opinion is only good if its what people like to hear.

russ99
12-07-2007, 01:25 PM

The other side of that is do we really need a deal to point to and make ourselves feel good about 2008?

That's what the Cubs did last year and despite the insane media hype from last December on and all the talk about the winning the Series - they barely made the playoffs (mostly due to a weak division) and got swept in the 1st round.

I'd rather see results on the field than hot stove hype. Kenny will make more additions and the Sox will be better in 2008 regardless of how the media spins it and how people feel about "how great we did in the offseason".

I'm with "Thome25" 100 percent.

voodoochile
12-07-2007, 01:26 PM
whatever, I guess voicing your opinion is only good if its what people like to hear.

Yes, and I have so silenced you opinion. I mean I obviously deleted your post and banned you from posting, right? No? Well then I moved it to the other thread and gave you a time out? No?

Look, I was mostly being sarcastic. It's been a wild ride around here the past few days and some of the posts have been over the top.

Relax, Francis...

It

Was

A

Joke...

oeo
12-07-2007, 01:26 PM

I think the biggest problem is all the morons that are acting like Kenny is just sitting around and scratching his ass. He was close to acquiring both Hunter and Cabrera...unfortunately it didn't happen. Then you have to put up with the idiots that say Kenny doesn't know what he's doing and should now start to spend $15-20 million per player in order to fix the team. Sitting there whining like the Sox have been the Cards this offseason (just as an example, because they haven't done anything), is hating.

Things just haven't worked out. Hopefully Kenny still has a good plan (whichever direction he now decides to go). Time's running out quickly, so hopefully things start moving in the right direction soon (like today, soon).

GAsoxfan
12-07-2007, 01:39 PM
So we couldn't get Miguel Cabrera. Well guess what? WE DIDN'T NEED HIM!! He can't leadoff, play CF, or pitch in the starting rotation or out of the bullpen. (our most glaring needs.) We already have 2 3b as it is. and we just acquired a LF.

I agree with most of your post, but I disagree with this paragraph. I guess technically you could say no one needs Cabrera since I'm pretty sure there are 30 guys out there capable of playing 3rd, and 30 to play LF, but to say the Sox (or any team for that matter) couldn't use Cabrera b/c he doesn't fill a hole is ridiculous. Cabrera is one of the top 10 position players in MLB.

skottyj242
12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I like beer.

churlish
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM

72 wins is a pretty deep hole. But, already, we have a significant upgrade at SS and another legitimate option out of the pen. It is likely that some of the veterans will rebound. Our outfield is already better than last year, and CF has yet to be addressed.

I think this team is already better than last year, and KW still has plenty of money to spend to improve it more.

Law11
12-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Yes, and I have so silenced you opinion. I mean I obviously deleted your post and banned you from posting, right? No? Well then I moved it to the other thread and gave you a time out? No?

Look, I was mostly being sarcastic. It's been a wild ride around here the past few days and some of the posts have been over the top.

Relax, Francis...

It

Was

A

Joke...

ANy of you #!@&$ call me Francis...
I know I need to lighten up but after last year we needed some real impact guys in FA and it doesn't appear likely thats going to be happening..

The original post has solid validity but those of us in disgust over this offseason have stated some very valid points as to the needs still yet to be addressed.

goon
12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
It's fairly difficult to rate this off-season because it isn't over. The few acquistions made by Williams HAVE been very good. Linebrink was the best SU man on the market, Orlando Cabrera gives us some stability in the lineup, a #2 hitter and rock in the infield and Quentin could be a sleeper, his stats in the minors are fantastic. What I like the most so far is the organization cutting the fat. Releasing Cintron, Erstad, Bukvich, Myers and Pods, with likely more to follow.

It was disheartening to lose out on Cabrera, especially to a division rival. Hunter was hard to take at first because of the vacancy in CF, but after info on the size of the contract was released, I can't say I was too upset. Everyone knows Williams is in a tough spot and he put himself there. I don't see him trading away the veterans, but if he wants to compete he's going to have to make a big move, maybe two. There's still a lot of time left and Williams isn't the kind to stand pat, he's going to do something.

voodoochile
12-07-2007, 01:59 PM
I know I need to lighten up but after last year we needed some real impact guys in FA and it doesn't appear likely thats going to be happening..

The original post has solid validity but those of us in disgust over this offseason have stated some very valid points as to the needs still yet to be addressed.

Show me a single post by a single poster which states the Sox are clearly the team to beat in the AL or even the ALC and that KW is a God amongst boys for the efforts, trades and signings he has caused to happen this season.

Aside from Soxwon (who won't ever say anything bad about the Sox) there simply aren't any. No one is jumping up and down for joy over the current status of the Sox roster compared to the Tigers, Angels, BoSox or Yankees and most people feel they are behind at least the Toons too.

The big FA acquisitions and trades fell through, not for lack of trying but simply because the Sox got beat out. That's life. That's baseball.

There have been some nice solid additions and the odds are more likely, IMO that several players will bounce back next year as opposed to sliding into decline. I expect more of a bang next season than is generally expected at this stage of the game even if nothing else changes. I also expect some more things to change and increase the Sox odds of competing. Whether it will be enough, I don't know. The AL is loaded at the moment and I mean big time loaded...

kittle42
12-07-2007, 02:07 PM

Good, because I think this offseason has pretty much been a disaster thus far. Unless I'm one of the rabid ones....:D:

russ99
12-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Show me a single post by a single poster which states the Sox are clearly the team to beat in the AL or even the ALC and that KW is a God amongst boys for the efforts, trades and signings he has caused to happen this season.

Aside from Soxwon (who won't ever say anything bad about the Sox) there simply aren't any. No one is jumping up and down for joy over the current status of the Sox roster compared to the Tigers, Angels, BoSox or Yankees and most people feel they are behind at least the Toons too.

The big FA acquisitions and trades fell through, not for lack of trying but simply because the Sox got beat out. That's life. That's baseball.

There have been some nice solid additions and the odds are more likely, IMO that several players will bounce back next year as opposed to sliding into decline. I expect more of a bang next season than is generally expected at this stage of the game even if nothing else changes. I also expect some more things to change and increase the Sox odds of competing. Whether it will be enough, I don't know. The AL is loaded at the moment and I mean big time loaded...

We don't need to be the overhyped favorite anyway. We weren't in '05...

I'm just glad the Sox roster is better now than it was in September. I don't feel the need to compare against other teams, and Kenny's far from finished.

areilly
12-07-2007, 02:27 PM
72 wins is a pretty deep hole. But, already, we have a significant upgrade at SS and another legitimate option out of the pen. It is likely that some of the veterans will rebound. Our outfield is already better than last year, and CF has yet to be addressed.

I think this team is already better than last year, and KW still has plenty of money to spend to improve it more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's also the matter of the Tigers improving the '07 model more than the Sox improved theirs, and that the Twins are going to get a killing back for Santana, and that Cleveland was already a 96-win team.

People seem to only be looking at this only in terms of, head-to-head, could the '08 Sox (as they stand now) beat the '07 Sox head-to-head? Of course they could. Hell, everyone else already did. But are the '08 Sox-to-be keeping up with the '08 competition to come? At this rate, no, and the Sox are not in a position where some simple tweaking and fine-tuning will get them there. The Sox as we know them need big help, and most (if not all) of the big help has been taken off the FA market. Barring something huge - which would be nice - it's not likely they're getting it via trades, either.

Will the Sox be a better team - as in, will they execute better? Will they put up better numbers? Most likely. Will they fare any better? At this point, that's doubtful.

spawn
12-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I find the angst against KW amusing. I was at another site where Sox fans think he acted too quickly in trading Garland and signing Linebrink. It seems KW was supposed to just sit on his hands and do nothing until Hunter was signed or Miggy was acquired via trade. Just think, if we still lost out on Torii and Miggy being traded to the Tigers, if Linebrink signed with someone else or we were stuck with Uribe as the only viable SS, people would be *****ing at him about that as well. Also, as was mentioned, what if JD wasn't resigned, or Buehrle, or AJ. I remember people around here *****ing when Javy's contract was extended. KW can do no right with some Sox fans. Am I happy with the way the offseason has gone. No. Is KW blameless? No. I do believe he is making every effort to make this team better. To me, that counts for something.

munchman33
12-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I think the real problem isn't that we aren't getting the huge impact superstars. It's that we have so many holes to fill, that we can't feasibly fill them all. So we have to get those huge impact superstars to overcome the holes. And those guys are disappearing off our radar faster than a Chinese spy plane.

jsg-07
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's also the matter of the Tigers improving the '07 model more than the Sox improved theirs, and that the Twins are going to get a killing back for Santana, and that Cleveland was already a 96-win team.

People seem to only be looking at this only in terms of, head-to-head, could the '08 Sox (as they stand now) beat the '07 Sox head-to-head? Of course they could. Hell, everyone else already did. But are the '08 Sox-to-be keeping up with the '08 competition to come? At this rate, no, and the Sox are not in a position where some simple tweaking and fine-tuning will get them there. The Sox as we know them need big help, and most (if not all) of the big help has been taken off the FA market. Barring something huge - which would be nice - it's not likely they're getting it via trades, either.

Will the Sox be a better team - as in, will they execute better? Will they put up better numbers? Most likely. Will they fare any better? At this point, that's doubtful.

Here is the part of all of this that I dont get. People looking at last year as if the sox were actually a 72 win team. Yes I know they only won 72 games, but they had no bullpen and a ton of injuries. I have to believe that part of the struggles PK, AJ, Dye, Thome, etc., had was because of the lack of anyone in front of or behind them to play the kind of baseball they needed to play.

I personally dont expect these guys to be bad this year coming up and I think if we can fill the CF hole and tighten up the bullpen, we will be a lot better than people think. Is it enough? Who knows, but I personally cannot look at last year as a realistic sample of what this team is capable of.

I also hope the rest of the league looks at it the way a lot of posters here are and that we are considered "underdogs" again because I think anyone who takes us lightly next year is going to get slapped in the face.

dickallen15
12-07-2007, 03:20 PM

That is getting old. Neither were the Royals. The Sox also weren't the overhyped favorite in 2007.

Chipol
12-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I’m not at all disappointed in Kenny’s success so far this off-season.

I was pretty indifferent about Hunter. You could make a good case that he would be the Sox’ version of Ben Wallace—still has some value, better than who he replaced, but in no way providing value vs. cost. And what return he would provide would be declining over his tenure.

I was more against the Miggy trade and am glad that one didn’t pan out. If Fields comes in next year at .270/35/85 and Cabrera comes in at .320/45/120, you are giving up what little future this team has for the sake of 30 hits, 10 HR and 35 ribbies over the course of a season. I just don’t see it. I hated seeing him go to Detroit; but I didn’t want to give up Fields, Danks, Gio and more for 30 hits.

I was hoping for a better return, or maybe a different kind of return, from Garland, so that is one in the other column. But at least when Cabrera bolts next summer, we’ll get some draft choices as compensation, because for once we will almost certainly offer arbitration.

For all the gnashing about Danks and Floyd, I can picture them as the toast of baseball, just as easily as being flops. That sort of thing happens all the time with young pitchers. There are very few sure things in baseball, either good or bad.

In time, KW will move Uribe, Crede and probably a couple others, and we can see what we have to work with.
I think jsg-07 makes a great point about whether the ’07 team was actually better constructed than 72 wins. But that also leads me to a bigger concern than KW’s performance—why the ’07 team looked like a latter day version of Jerry Manuel’s corpseball teams. Even before the injuries hit, that team played with zero fire. If they come out again like that, none of KW’s magic will do any good.

russ99
12-07-2007, 05:23 PM

That is getting old. Neither were the Royals. The Sox also weren't the overhyped favorite in 2007.

Tell you what. If on July 1st the Sox are stinking up the joint and out of the playoff race, I'll eat some crow.

However, I don't believe that will be the case if Kenny makes 3-4 moves he needs to and will make before Spring Training.

I really couldn't care less about how the Sox vs. their competition is perceived to be in 2008, especially what the lay of the land is in early December and on paper. We'll just see when they play the games...

nccwsfan
12-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Only a select few are haters- those who haven't posted squat until the last three weeks would qualify. I would more classify it as a group of posters with a case of "knee-jerk" reaction. Some on WSI have thrown themselves off the deep end because we didn't get Hunter and Cabrera, and instead of waiting it out for a few months to see what KW we have posters giving the White Sox no chance to win until 2010/2011/2012, openly rooting for the Cubs to win the World Series, demandng Williams' resignation, etc. Just some real goofy stuff.

If they sign Fukudome and make a trade for a quality starter I'd love to see how many would still be going nuts- probably not as many. Yes the bullpen needs some more work, yes we need another OF, yes we would be better off with another starter. Let's see how it all pans out. :cool:

Jerome
12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I don't care if he makes a lot of moves or no moves. I care about the team. This is a 90 loss team that so far has added a quality shortstop, a solid set up man, and has lost one of our top startings pitcher over the last couple of years. I don't think the Sox are in any position to compete for a division title in next year's AL Central and I personally wish to commit to a rebuilding plan, but it's a long offseason.

Edit: forgot about Carlos Quentin, he can only help an outfield that offensively was a black hole last year.

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I definitely like the 3 moves so far. Getting Quentin gives us a good young core of position players (along w/Fields and Richar) for the future; Linebrink is rock solid; and OC is a very good upgrade at SS.

Having said that, the only thing that really bothers me is the Andruw Jones situation. Kenny says he is not our type of player because he is looking for a high OBP and patient hitters, yet he offered Torii Hunter 75 mil???

Jones has a higher career OBP, sees more pitches per at bat, and has been waaaaayy more productive in his career than Hunter. He is also, IMO, a better CF.

It bothers me that we couldn't buy low on Andruw. 2/36 is all he got from LA, therefore, 3/54 would have gotten the deal done and we would have had our CF.

Jurr
12-08-2007, 10:53 AM
I definitely like the 3 moves so far. Getting Quentin gives us a good young core of position players (along w/Fields and Richar) for the future; Linebrink is rock solid; and OC is a very good upgrade at SS.

Having said that, the only thing that really bothers me is the Andruw Jones situation. Kenny says he is not our type of player because he is looking for a high OBP and patient hitters, yet he offered Torii Hunter 75 mil???

Jones has a higher career OBP, sees more pitches per at bat, and has been waaaaayy more productive in his career than Hunter. He is also, IMO, a better CF.

It bothers me that we couldn't buy low on Andruw. 2/36 is all he got from LA, therefore, 3/54 would have gotten the deal done and we would have had our CF.
Ummm..."buying low" is not 18 mil a year. Isn't he also a Boras guy? Oh, by the way, you do nothing but add a name to your team by signing Jones. 18 mil per year for a .222 avg? Huh?

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Ummm..."buying low" is not 18 mil a year. Isn't he also a Boras guy? Oh, by the way, you do nothing but add a name to your team by signing Jones. 18 mil per year for a .222 avg? Huh?

The .222 that you're talking about is last year only; he's better than that. It's buying low when you consider that we would only have been on the hook for 3 years and less money than Hunter. Andruw would have been at least a 5/100 if he doesn't tank last year.

Also, I'm just saying that if KW went after Hunter, he shouldn't use the excuse he gave as to why we don't want Jones. It makes no sense.

And, yes, of course it's about Boras. That is the reason we didn't go after him; it still doesn't make it right.

Jjav829
12-08-2007, 12:57 PM
What do you call the signings of ...Uribe...?

A waste. :smile:

TommyGavinFloyd
06-29-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm starting to get ticked off with all of the media members and all of the chicken littles on this site who are whining and complaining about KW's lack of player moves.

Whoever thinks this team hasn't been active is full of ****. PERIOD. KW just started a little earlier than most GMs with his player signings etc.

What do you call the signings of Buehrle, Dye, Uribe and Pierzynski? Seems like we signed a few players huh? The fact that they were our own soon-to-be free agents is irrelevant.

How about Linebrink? Or the Orlando Cabrera deal? What about Quentin? KW has been pretty damn active in the trade and free agent market.

Like I said, he just started a little earlier than most GMs and signed some of our free agents before the season ended.

KW has been active and aggressive. In fact he has been more active thatn 90% of the other GMs in baseball by virtue of all the moves he's made in the last 6 months.

I'm sick and tired of all the pants pissing and whiny, crybaby bull**** from the media and fans on this site.

Boo Hoo.....we didn't get Hunter. Well I got news for you. He didn't want to be here in the first place. He actually said to a USA today reporter that we were "the enemy" and that he didn't like us and it would've been weird to play for the badguys. (paraphrasing)

Good riddance Torii.....have fun in LA....don't let the AL Central door hit your ass on the way out.

Who Agrees? Who's with me on this? GO WHITE SOX!!!

You win.

You win the internets.

:gosox:

SBSoxFan
06-29-2008, 05:57 AM

Perhaps, but stating that "we have no bullpen to speak of" completely ignores the facts of the season so far. Oh, and Danks is something like 2nd or 3rd in the league in ERA.

Brooding can be fun sometimes, but so can rational optimism. :bandance:

hawkjt
06-29-2008, 09:27 AM
A tip of the hat to all that embraced Carlos Quentin as the answer in left. I had no clue about this guy.

Kenny looks like a genius at the halfway point...just another 82 games and he is home free....til Sox convention time anyway.

Jimmy John
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM

:D:

lukeman89
06-29-2008, 11:38 AM
:D:

haha i read that and laughed too. ban the guy:D:

Jerome
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't care if he makes a lot of moves or no moves. I care about the team. This is a 90 loss team that so far has added a quality shortstop, a solid set up man, and has lost one of our top startings pitcher over the last couple of years. I don't think the Sox are in any position to compete for a division title in next year's AL Central and I personally wish to commit to a rebuilding plan, but it's a long offseason.

Edit: forgot about Carlos Quentin, he can only help an outfield that offensively was a black hole last year.

:redface::redface:

however I believe this was before Swisher and Linebrink / Dotel were aquired and I wasn't THIS pessimistic going into the season.

soxrme
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
What the hell is Ozzie ball? We hit a lot of home runs in 2005. We have decent speed in Ramierez, Cabrera, Qeuntin, we have good infield defense. We do not have a good centerfielder, but we have a real shot if Konerko, Thome, and Swisher start hitting.

Frontman
06-29-2008, 12:38 PM
What the hell is Ozzie ball? We hit a lot of home runs in 2005. We have decent speed in Ramierez, Cabrera, Qeuntin, we have good infield defense. We do not have a good centerfielder, but we have a real shot if Konerko, Thome, and Swisher start hitting.

Very good point. We had ONE speed guy in Pods during the 2005 season in the starting lineup, and ONE coming off the bench in Ozuna. 2005 was a pack 'em then slam 'em lineup. The Sox this season are doing what they did then, with a few clitches in Konerko and Thome's lack of hitting; yet we are on top of the divison with a few weeks to the AS break. I can't really get crazy over them not playing "Ozzieball" which was a creation of the media/hype.

The biggest moments remembered from the 2005 season? AJ/Crede's walk off, the big back to back to back inning against the Yankees, etc. I don't remember Scotty Pods doing a whole heck of a lot of stealing in the second half of that season.....

UofCSoxFan
06-29-2008, 12:56 PM
For those that don't realize this thread was originally started back in December...I don't really see the point of bumping it.

TommyGavinFloyd
06-29-2008, 01:08 PM
For those that don't realize this thread was originally started back in December...I don't really see the point of bumping it.

How about because the original poster was right on almost every single point? Is that good enough, your majesty?