PDA

View Full Version : How deep are Reinsdorf & Company's pockets

eastchicagosoxfan
12-07-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm curious, in baseball money terms, how deep are the pockets of the Reinsdorf group in comparison to other owners? I recall reading an article after the 2005 season, which broke down the Reinsdorf group, and it indicated that some of the guys, while certainly wealthy, were by no means in the league of Arte Moreno of the Angels. Reinsdorf and company don't cry poor, but more often than not, they do preach restraint. The Albert Belle signing being a notable exception. I don't know the payrolls for the Sox over the past 26 years, but the perception has been that it's middle of the pack, most seasons. Last year, it was near the top. The perception I've gotten, is that next season, the payroll will not increase substantially, but that may be wrong, or it (the payroll) may change. Has baseball ownership changed from a millionaires club to a billionaires club, and has it or will it make the Sox ownership group uncompetitive over the next few seasons?

Flight #24
12-07-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm curious, in baseball money terms, how deep are the pockets of the Reinsdorf group in comparison to other owners? I recall reading an article after the 2005 season, which broke down the Reinsdorf group, and it indicated that some of the guys, while certainly wealthy, were by no means in the league of Arte Moreno of the Angels. Reinsdorf and company don't cry poor, but more often than not, they do preach restraint. The Albert Belle signing being a notable exception. I don't know the payrolls for the Sox over the past 26 years, but the perception has been that it's middle of the pack, most seasons. Last year, it was near the top. The perception I've gotten, is that next season, the payroll will not increase substantially, but that may be wrong, or it (the payroll) may change. Has baseball ownership changed from a millionaires club to a billionaires club, and has it or will it make the Sox ownership group uncompetitive over the next few seasons?

By all accounts, the "master plan" was to trade Garland for Cabrera (save $5M), sign Linebrink (add $5M), sign Hunter (add $15M), trade for Cabrera (Add ~$8-10M via arbitration), and deal Crede (save $5M). And IIRC they stop getting the $3M subsidy from the DBacks for Javy which adds another $3M. That adds up to a payroll increase on the order of $20-28M. That's plenty deep right there. The problem is that the Sox have little young/cheap talent so they're forced to plug veteran/expensive guys in at so many positions that they can't get the real value out of that payroll.

This is NOT a Jerry problem, it's a Kenny problem. Unless you want to say that Jerry's controlling the scouting budget, but even then, I'd expect Kenny to shift resources from the MLB payroll to the minor leagues if necessary.