PDA

View Full Version : Do the Sox have any interest in Chone Figgins/Scot Shields?

cards press box
12-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Is there any chance that this trade could happen: Joe Crede (and perhaps a minor leaguer) for Chone Figgins and Scot Shields?

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Is there any chance that this trade could happen: Joe Crede (and perhaps a minor leaguer) for Chone Figgins and Scot Shields?

Definitely not both. I suggested the Crede for Figgins or willits in another thread, which I hope can happen, but I am doubtful.

guillen4life13
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I really think it will take much more than just Crede to get Figgins or Willits.

Crede+prospect for Shields+Figgins wouldn't happen either unless said prospect is one of the top ten, and even that is a stretch.

JermaineDye05
12-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Scott Shields is not leaving LA, not unless the Sox offer them Gio Gonzalez (this I don't even think they'll accept). Or something overwhelming like Konerko/Crede for Shields/Figgins.

AZChiSoxFan
12-06-2007, 08:07 PM

:rolleyes: Sure, maybe we can even get the Halos to throw in Vlad.

Brian26
12-06-2007, 08:29 PM
That trade had a better chance of happening last year at this time than it does now. Crede doesn't get you either of those guys until he shows he can catch a ground ball in Spring Training.

cws05champ
12-06-2007, 08:58 PM
That trade had a better chance of happening last year at this time than it does now. Crede doesn't get you either of those guys until he shows he can catch a ground ball in Spring Training.

Isn't this like the 49th different thread about a Figgins and or Shields trade over the last year?

Lukin13
12-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Ask an Angel fan if they are interested in giving up their second best bullpen arm and a speedy utility player in exchange for an arbitration eligible third baseman, that runs in quicksand, has as low of an OBP as any everyday player in baseball and just happens to be coming off career threatening back surgery? See if they want him.

Please stop with the Crede trade rumors that involve MLB talent that is under contract... let alone great players.

Jjav829
12-06-2007, 10:25 PM
A quality bullpen arm and a quality leadoff hitter with good speed? On a team that last year had an awful bullpen and struggled offensively, including at the leadoff spot? Uhh, yeah, I'd say the Sox would have interest.

I think the question is whether the Angels have enough interest in anything we could offer them that they would give up these two.

Fantosme
12-06-2007, 10:36 PM
The Cubs asked about Figgins, and the Angels reportedly asked for Aramis Ramirez. That is how highly the Angels value Figgins. I don't see them trading him for anything less than Konerko. So nothing is going to happen.

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't see them trading him for anything less than Konerko.

The Sox need a fast, high OBP leadoff hitter and the Angels need a cleanup hitter to play first base to hit behind Vlad. It's a natural fit and that's why it keeps coming up in trade proposals.

Then, use the net savings (I realize that PK is not overpaid in today's market) on Fukudome (LF) and pitching, pitching and more pitching.

cards press box
12-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Ask an Angel fan if they are interested in giving up their second best bullpen arm and a speedy utility player in exchange for an arbitration eligible third baseman, that runs in quicksand, has as low of an OBP as any everyday player in baseball and just happens to be coming off career threatening back surgery? See if they want him.

Please stop with the Crede trade rumors that involve MLB talent that is under contract... let alone great players.

I agree that the Sox are probably a year late to deal Crede for Figgins/Shields. However, no less an authority than Steve Stone opined today on WSCR that a Crede for Figgins trade made sense for both the Sox and the Angels.

PorkChopExpress
12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Scott Shields is not leaving LA, not unless the Sox offer them Gio Gonzalez (this I don't even think they'll except). Or something overwhelming like Konerko/Crede for Shields/Figgins.

Throw in Kotchman and I'm all for it.

Flight #24
12-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, rotoworld says that that Angels claim they're not trading Figgins "unless they acquire a 3B".......

Hmmmm.......Wait until ST and Joe can show he's healthy, then flip him + ????? to the Halos for Figgins to play 3B or OF and lead off?

SBSoxFan
12-08-2007, 10:44 PM
The Sox need a fast, high OBP leadoff hitter and the Angels need a cleanup hitter to play first base to hit behind Vlad. It's a natural fit and that's why it keeps coming up in trade proposals.

Then, use the net savings (I realize that PK is not overpaid in today's market) on Fukudome (LF) and pitching, pitching and more pitching.

No. It keeps coming up because you won't let it die. :tongue:

SBSoxFan
12-08-2007, 10:47 PM
A quality bullpen arm and a quality leadoff hitter with good speed? On a team that last year had an awful bullpen and struggled offensively, including at the leadoff spot? Uhh, yeah, I'd say the Sox would have interest.

I think the question is whether the Angels have enough interest in anything we could offer them that they would give up these two.

Is Figgins really that good? I rarely see him play or look at his stats. All I have to judge him on was his performance in the 2005 ALCS, and he didn't look so good. :D:

palehosepub
12-08-2007, 11:11 PM
The Cubs had intrest in Chone Figgins and an Angels representive said the Angels value him so much they could ask for as much as Aramis Rameriz.
So if the Angels are going to ask for Rameriz why would they trade Figgins and one of the best relievers in the league in Shields, for Joe Crede.

Frater Perdurabo
12-09-2007, 08:42 AM
No. It keeps coming up because you won't let it die. :tongue:

Hey, I didn't start this thread! :tongue:

oeo
12-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Is Figgins really that good? I rarely see him play or look at his stats. All I have to judge him on was his performance in the 2005 ALCS, and he didn't look so good. :D:

He just finished off a career year last year, but I'd say he's pretty solid.

Last year would have been the time to acquire him (he would have come cheap after a not-so-stellar year). If there's one thing that Kenny needs to learn, it's to sell high on his players (I guess this goes back to our scouts; they need to know when the ceiling has hit and to deal...the Braves do this all the time). Last year he had an opportunity to get a lot in return for Crede (probably the best shot he will ever get), and decided not to do it.

I know it's hindsight on my part, but Kenny knew that Fields was on the rise, that Joe's agent was Boras, and that Crede had a bad back. He should have pressed the deal button when Figgins and Shields were on the table last year.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-16-2007, 10:06 AM
If we can get him at a reasonable cost, do you guys think he would be a good fit with this years team?

Still looking for hope in 08!

The Thomenator
12-16-2007, 11:21 AM
He batted .330 and his OBP was .393 last year, not to mention 41 stolen bases in a down year in that category. I doubt he'd come cheap. I wouldn't give up any of our top prospects. The only way this works out is if we play the waiting game and Crede can prove he's healthy during Spring Training. Then trade him and some mid-level prospects for Figgins and hope he could play CF. Fields would have to take 3rd with Quentin and Dye at the corner OF spots.

MCHSoxFan
12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
He batted .330 and his OBP was .393 last year, not to mention 41 stolen bases in a down year in that category. I doubt he'd come cheap. I wouldn't give up any of our top prospects. The only way this works out is if we play the waiting game and Crede can prove he's healthy during Spring Training. Then trade him and some mid-level prospects for Figgins and hope he could play CF. Fields would have to take 3rd with Quentin and Dye at the corner OF spots.

Sound good!!! :D:

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-16-2007, 02:27 PM

If Figgins is decent in CF, or he can play LF im sure and Owens in CF. I do like what I hear about Quentin (OBP, D, Arm). What would we have to give up, and can Figgins play CF?

Frater Perdurabo
12-16-2007, 03:11 PM
You know what my answer is. :happyguy:

Daver
12-16-2007, 03:14 PM
If Figgins is decent in CF, or he can play LF im sure and Owens in CF. I do like what I hear about Quentin (OBP, D, Arm). What would we have to give up, and can Figgins play CF?

Great, a bad leftfielder in center and an infielder playing left.

Start printing the playoff tickets.

Brian26
12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
You know what my answer is. :happyguy:

:walnuts

thomas35forever
12-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Put me on the bandwagon. He could even play third if Crede or Fields go down. Figgins '08!

Optipessimism
12-16-2007, 04:34 PM
No.

I'd do Crede for Figgins straight up though because I think that's way more than we could expect to get for him, but even if we could make that deal I'd still ship him off somewhere else. He has no business in CF, and he has no business stealing playing time away from Quentin in left, Fields at 3B, or Richar at 2B.