PDA

View Full Version : The use of technology in the MLB

Noneck
12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
In the past 10 years the use of modern technology has surged in all work places. We see it in retail, public service, law enforcement, educational institutions, manufacturing, transportation, financial markets etc.

Why don't we see it in baseball? I have never seen a laptop in any dugout. Is this an unwritten rule or written, to try to give the public the perception that baseball hasn't changed from the days of Ruth?

Dan the Man
12-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Why don't we see it in baseball?
Well the Cubs had cordless phones in the dugout and bullpen..

dwalteroo
12-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I know there was an article a year or two ago about how teams have started using iPods so that players can watch individual films on opponents. That way they can tailor films for each player as to what to look for, etc. Dunno if the Sox do this.

Max Power
12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I've read about players going into the clubhouse video room during games to watch video of their at-bats. I think there is plenty of technology at use, but it's all in the clubhouse/video room so we don't see it. It's pretty easy to duck into the clubhouse when your team is in the dugout and take a look at video/stats.

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Football still uses chains when there is a perfectly good yellow line on TV. :?:

ilsox7
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I've read about players going into the clubhouse video room during games to watch video of their at-bats. I think there is plenty of technology at use, but it's all in the clubhouse/video room so we don't see it. It's pretty easy to duck into the clubhouse when your team is in the dugout and take a look at video/stats.

Agreed. I think the use of technology has increased significantly, but it's mostly out of the public's view.

Daver
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Baseball was a pioneer in using computer technology in umpiring the game with the implement of Questec.

DumpJerry
12-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Eric Wedge has been using a laptop for a few years for now to figure the optimal match-ups for his hitters and pitchers.

Noneck
12-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Eric Wedge has been using a laptop for a few years for now to figure the optimal match-ups for his hitters and pitchers.

Does he use it in the dugout? I'm sure alot of coaches and managers use them but I've never seen one in clear view for the public to see.

DumpJerry
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Does he use it in the dugout? I'm sure alot of coaches and managers use them but I've never seen one in clear view for the public to see.
It's in his office, but I'm his printouts are in the dugout with him.

Noneck
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Baseball was a pioneer in using computer technology in umpiring the game with the implement of Questec.

Yes but it is something that most fans don't know about and very few if any have ever seen.