PDA

View Full Version : Is Anybody Happy?

skottyj242
12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Is anybody else happy right now? I know we haven't gotten what I wanted out of the offseason (so far, it is only Dec. 6. In Kenny I trust...) but I still love this team and wished the season started tomorrow. I know I'm one of the always half full people when it comes to the Sox, even though I curse them a lot I can never be too mad at them. When I get the paper in the morning I'm just happy if there's anything about the White Sox in the paper, no matter if it's good or bad. Is it April yet? Oh yeah, they did give us the best joy in most of our lives, and this is more than at least a couple of generations before us got.

soxfan13
12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I happy evey morning when I realize I have lived to see another day:tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm happy.

The Sox have always been the black sheep of this city, (Veeck, exploding scoreboard, Disco demolition)--that's part of their charm. To me at least.

Do I want them to win? Hell yeah. But will I turn my back on the them if they don't make the moves everyone thinks they should make? Never.

whitesoxwilkes
12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
While I'm not exactly happy about how the offseason has gone so far, I'm not any less of a Sox fan than I was 6 years ago.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm happy we have a lot of really great young talent who's going to get a chance to play in 2008.

I'm really excited to see Danks, Floyd, and Fields play

voodoochile
12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
:happyguy: <--------------that's me all the time...

spiffie
12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I love the Sox more than most things in my life. I want nothing more to see them do well, and I can't wait to go to USCF, one of my favorite places on earth and watch them play. I'm happy that they're here, and that hopefully in a few months the snow will be gone and baseball will be back. But I'm not happy with what they're doing so far this offseason, because I hate to see the team I love lose, and I fear that they will be doing that a lot this coming year.

I'm also happy that I will get to watch Mark Buehrle pitching for the Sox for years to come.

AJ Hellraiser
12-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I live and die with the SOX... when they are great it directly effects my attitude and personality for the better... when they are bad it effects them for the worse...

That's why I am unhappy right now... because I look at the current roster and see bad baseball with no postseason for a while...

chisoxmike
12-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I love the Sox no matter what. But they do piss me off sometimes, but that goes with the territory. It's an abusive relationship.

It's just so sad to watch this team fall so far from two years ago. There's no reason for this. But I'll never stop being a fan. I'm no less of a fan now than I was when I watch the Sox get shelled 20-14 this summer. Or sitting in the stands when the Sox lost to the Tigers in the final homestand of September last year ending the season. Or sitting in the second to last row in the upper deck in the 2005 ALDS. Or the countless meaningless games I've attended the past 14 years.

spawn
12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Am I upset we lost out on Torii? Yes. Am I happy we didn't get into a bidding war and overpay for him? Damn right.

Am I upset we traded Garland? Yes. Am I happy we significantly upgraded the SS position? Damn right.

I'm not even upset we didn't get Miggy. I figured we didn't have what the Marlins were looking at in return, so honestly I wasn't upset about that at all.

To make a long story short...I'm definitely happy. :D:

nccwsfan
12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm proud to say the White Sox are my team, win or lose, good times or bad. It's more fun when they're winning, of course, but it's always fun to follow the team.

I'm looking forward to 2008 and the road trips that go with it! :)

LITTLE NELL
12-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Sox fan since 1953, not going to change my stripes now. Its a long way to the opener. One thing that would cheer me up is to sign Rowand.

chisoxmike
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
This summer after the 20-14 loss to the Twins, I went to some bar after the game that night, (and this was after the second loss of the day) some Lincoln Park trixie went up to me in a Twins shirt and goes "Um, aren't you, like, embarrassed to be wearing that shirt?" (I had a Sox shirt on) I replied with "No, never." She goes "Well, you should, we kicked your ass today." I finished with this "I'll never be embarrassed to be a Sox fan. Never."

Chez
12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Am I happy? Very. Just not about the state of the Sox.

soxfan21
12-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty happy right now. As stated before, it is only December 6th, and a lot can still happy. I am kind of happy that Kenny isn't really telling the media what he is thinking about trades and such anymore because it sort of reminds of pre-2005 Kenny. I am a sox fan for life and even though things have not gone our way so far this offseason, I expect things to get better hopefully sooner than later.

tebman
12-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm happy, but it's a big-picture happy. I'm happy that I've been a Sox fan for so long and for all the fun I've had over the years. I'm not happy about missing out on the big names this past week, but I'm happy that KW and JR try to use some financial common sense in building a team.

I'm a monogamous baseball fan. For better or worse, etc. Right now it's "worse".

Dolanski
12-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Uh, its Dec 6th. Spring Training starts in March. Still alot of time to make some moves.

asindc
12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Happy? Yes. Happy about being a Sox fan? Yes! Happy that the Tigers have improved signficantly? No. Happy that the Sox have 4 months to improve themselves? Yes.

pdimas
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Am I upset we lost out on Torii? Yes. Am I happy we didn't get into a bidding war and overpay for him? Damn right.

Am I upset we traded Garland? Yes. Am I happy we significantly upgraded the SS position? Damn right.

I'm not even upset we didn't get Miggy. I figured we didn't have what the Marlins were looking at in return, so honestly I wasn't upset about that at all.

To make a long story short...I'm definitely happy. :D:

Ditto. You can also add that I am pretty happy that we didn't get stuck with Dontrelle. Yeah ok maybe he is an innings eater and he was rookie of year and is a left hander. But his is an NL pitcher coming to the AL and his ERA in the NL was above 5 last year :o:. Plus I can't imagine our guysall having off years like last year. It was really really flukey (fluky?). Maybe we overpaid for Linebrink but he brings a veteran presence to the bullpen that we really didn't have last year. I am really glad we didn't get into the Andruw Jones bidding (2 years 36 million :o:) just because we need an outfielder. I don't want to see moves made just to make moves. With both of the big fish we missed out on I was a little miffed at first but when I sat back and looked at them I was ok with the fact that they didn't go through.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm simply happy cuz when I read the thread title, I thought Soxyess :rolleyes: started it and it was only gonna make me more frustrated than I am now. But I am happy with the few moves we have made. I'm mad we lost Fernando Hernandez (nothing to do with the '08 Sox, but still). When you look at teams like the Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, you see them overpay and buy talent all the time, and it doesn't always equate to championships. I just pray to God this will be the situation with the Angels and Detroit, just to give us a fighting chance...

skottyj242
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm simply happy cuz when I read the thread title, I thought Soxyess :rolleyes: started it and it was only gonna make me more frustrated than I am now. But I am happy with the few moves we have made. I'm mad we lost Fernando Hernandez (nothing to do with the '08 Sox, but still). When you look at teams like the Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, you see them overpay and buy talent all the time, and it doesn't always equate to championships. I just pray to God this will be the situation with the Angels and Detroit, just to give us a fighting chance...

I may be dumb here but who is Fernando Hernandez?

kitekrazy
12-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm happy we have a lot of really great young talent who's going to get a chance to play in 2008.

Great comment. I'd rather see young talent than over paid, over achieving veterans.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 11:53 AM
I may be dumb here but who is Fernando Hernandez?

A minor league reliever that has done very very well for us the past 2 seasons. He also dominated the Fall league this year. He was not on our 40 man roster, and he got drafted by the A's today in the Rule 5 Draft.

schmitty9800
12-06-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not happy with the offseason overall, but it's no comparison to how I'd feel if we panic trade for Pierre or some other no OBP player. I'd rather have a stagnant offseason than one filled with bad trades, and so far I think KW's done decently; good value for Garland, bullpen help, and a risk-reward OF.

chisox77
12-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm happy being a White Sox fan. I think KW has done his best. There's still time to make moves, or to decide on a new direction, because I don't want to see KW make impulsive moves to try and "make us happy."

But overall, I'll always be enthusiastic about the Sox. I'll wear the hat, the jersey, the starter jacket, etc. No doubt, there's always a reason to be happy about the team I love . . .

:cool:

Frontman
12-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Of course I'm happy. Kenny has started to improve this club and still has time to make additional moves. Has Santa Kenny given me all on my Christmas list? Nope. But I refuse to go negative and think the team is a lost cause until the numbers say otherwise.

And as the phrase goes, "We're with you all the way."

Goose
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I know I'm one of the always half full people

Half full of...?

:D:

Dick Allen
12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Thrilled.

asindc
12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm simply happy cuz when I read the thread title, I thought Soxyess :rolleyes: started it and it was only gonna make me more frustrated than I am now...

Best post I've read all week!:gulp:

downstairs
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Hell, I'm happy. LSU is going to the national championship in my city!

Oh, the White Sox? I reserve judgement until sometime in May.

russ99
12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sure it hurts to lose out on Hunter and Cabrera, but Kenny's not done yet, and I still trust that he'll get some additional pieces to at least make the Sox competitive and fun to watch, unlike last season.

Playoffs would be a nice bonus, but a winning team that's fun to watch is essential.

munchman33
12-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I am incredibly unhappy with the White Sox right now. I know it's only December. But there isn't a lot I realistically see us doing to compete within our division this year. And our GM isn't the type to develop for the future. I'm afraid we're becoming the Baltimore Orioles.

jabrch
12-06-2007, 12:36 PM
It's December 6...We've got a long way to go before anyone can conclude anything with any basis of fact.

That won't stop the dark clouds, pants pissers, haters and trolls from trying to create issues where none exist.

CubKilla
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Since I'm a season ticket holder, I'm not too excited to see Danks pitch slightly over .500 ball, if lucky, hear about Floyd owning in AAA come June or July after he's sent down, AGAIN, and watching Fields hit 30-35 HR's while breaking Dunn's single season K record.

IlliniSox4Life
12-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm always happy when it comes to the Sox.

Sure, they may do things that I wish they didn't, and sure I will occasionally get caught up and frustrated. However I always come back to the fact that it is baseball we are talking about, the greatest sport on earth. I haven't grown up extremely privileged by todays standards, but I am lucky enough to be able to spend several days a summer out at the ballpark enjoying a kosher dog and soda. There's something about walking up those ramps, through the tunnels and into the stadium that makes you realize how lucky we really are. No matter what boneheaded moves the Sox make, I don't think I will ever forget that.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Since I'm a season ticket holder, I'm not too excited to see Danks pitch slightly over .500 ball, if lucky, hear about Floyd owning in AAA come June or July after he's sent down, AGAIN, and watching Fields hit 30-35 HR's while breaking Dunn's single season K record.

What would that put him at, about 13-12? If that comes with a 4.7 or 4.8 ish era, I think that's pretty damn good for his 2nd league in the majors, in the AL, in the AL Central.

duke of dorwood
12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
No and very disappointed. You'd think I'd expect this from Williams, but I always hope. Not any more. He's a horrible GM

CubKilla
12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
What would that put him at, about 13-12? If that comes with a 4.7 or 4.8 ish era, I think that's pretty damn good for his 2nd league in the majors, in the AL, in the AL Central.

That's where I put him at, hopefully with a slightly lower ERA. Danks easily could have been an over .500 pitcher this season if the White Sox could hit early on. Floyd I have no confidence in except against DET and Fields will strike out a ton.

cws05champ
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
There is a difference between being happy and pissing and moaning about what has happened this ofseason. I'm not happy about what has gone but I'm not going to be pissy and ***** and moan on every post when there is still plenty of offseason. I'm really tired of all the negative people proclaiming we do not stand a chance for the next 3 years. Does it look bleak on paper...yes, do they play games on paper, NO. Baseball is a strange game that does not always go the way of the strongest team on paper.

For all of you who are moaning in every post, wait until the offseason is over and then start peeing your pants when the season starts, it will make these boards a lot more managable to come on and tolerate.

JB98
12-06-2007, 01:13 PM
No, I'm not happy. We lost 90 games last year, and I don't think we're any stronger now than we were on September 30. Still waiting for our GM to change things....

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Ask this same question on October 1st, 2008. If were still on the schedule to play more baseball then I'll be happy. As for right now............hard to say. I definitely expected more just like everyone else.

voodoochile
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
At this stage of the game, I'm happy for the following reasons...

-"I have some faith"
-"anything can happen"
-"teams that look good on paper aren't always good"
-"there's still 5 months left"
and
-"Not a single game has been played yet"

:)

spiffie
12-06-2007, 01:23 PM

-"I have some faith"
-"anything can happen"
and

:tongue:

Don't forget "no one thought the 2005 team would do good, and look what happened."

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 01:37 PM

-"I have some faith"
-"anything can happen"
and

it's "that's why they play the games"

:rolling:

:thumbsup:

Dan Mega
12-06-2007, 01:52 PM
It's December 6...We've got a long way to go before anyone can conclude anything with any basis of fact.

That won't stop the dark clouds, pants pissers, haters and trolls from trying to create issues where none exist.

I have some land in Florida to sell you.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I have some land in Florida to sell you.

Will you take mediocre minor leaguers for that land?

voodoochile
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Will you take mediocre minor leaguers for that land?

Does Juan Uribe's ass count as a large tract of land?

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Does Juan Uribe's ass count as a large tract of land?

a continent even!

put him and freddy and miguel cabrera together and you have pangaea

spiffie
12-06-2007, 03:02 PM
a continent even!

put him and freddy and miguel cabrera together and you have pangaea
And they're all orbiting Prince Fielder.

Frontman
12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
And they're all orbiting Prince Fielder.

He's such a waste. Incredibly talented young man, but if he doesn't take care of himself, he'll have a shortened career carrying all that extra weight around.

Law11
12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't get all this negative media attention.:?:

A couple of weeks after Thanksgiving and the 2008 season is a total loss . It's all a bunch of crap and is a big turn off.

Whats a turn off is not doing anything except landing a reliever since the season ended. SS was hardly the issue we had to deal with. And losing a major piece to your rotation at that.

We arent competing for a damn thing with this setup as is right now.

soxtalker
12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Is anybody else happy right now? I know we haven't gotten what I wanted out of the offseason (so far, it is only Dec. 6. In Kenny I trust...) but I still love this team and wished the season started tomorrow. I know I'm one of the always half full people when it comes to the Sox, even though I curse them a lot I can never be too mad at them. When I get the paper in the morning I'm just happy if there's anything about the White Sox in the paper, no matter if it's good or bad. Is it April yet? Oh yeah, they did give us the best joy in most of our lives, and this is more than at least a couple of generations before us got.

Can't say that I'm terribly unhappy about them. My impression is that there has actually been a lot of news and discussion about them, and I like that. The Sox are by far my favorite team -- and have been since the 60's -- and I love the hot stove discussion.

As far as the trades -- there's lots of competition out there. We dealt with one of our big needs in the OC trade. And KW isn't done. I'm always interested in his unexpected moves.

rainbow6
12-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm still optimistic.

If it's April 1st and the Sox have Owens, Richar, and Fields in the opening day line up, I'll offically assume that we won't content this year. If one of those positions are filled by a veteran/lead off hitter and additional tweaking is done to the bullpen I think we'll be in the hunt.

It's easy to be critcal of what your team is lacking (understandably so) but I think this team still has an excellent foundation (2 front of the rotation starters/great closer/gold glove SS/power/players with postseason experience) that it should not be written off so quickly.

It's also common for "stacked" teams like Detroit to wet the bed once the season starts and I for one will be looking foward to it.

I'm fairly certain that if the Sox had pulled of the Cabrera trade (Danks,Fields,Gio, ?) that they would have been roundly criticized for selling off thier future for an out-of-shape, error prone third baseman that they really didn't need anyway.

BainesHOF
12-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm still optimistic.

If it's April 1st and the Sox have Owens, Richar, and Fields in the opening day line up, I'll offically assume that we won't content this year. If one of those positions are filled by a veteran/lead off hitter and additional tweaking is done to the bullpen I think we'll be in the hunt.

Why do you think we'll be in the hunt? We've been one of the worst teams in baseball for the past season and a half. Adding a good shortstop and a set-up man doesn't make for a complete turnaround, especially in one of the best divisions in baseball.

Dolanski
12-06-2007, 03:45 PM
One, its a LONG way until Spring training and there are still decent FA out there and deals to be made.

Two, sometimes, the best deals are the ones that aren't made. I remember in 2004 when everyone here was up in arms that we didn't go after Jared Wright. Look how he turned out for the Yankees:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wrighja02.shtml

soxfan13
12-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Im still very happy skotty so happy i made something with a pic of you and i:tongue:

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1200191334

Chicken Dinner
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
He's such a waste. Incredibly talented young man, but if he doesn't take care of himself, he'll have a shortened career carrying all that extra weight around.

And money.:D:

jabrch
12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Adding a good shortstop and a set-up man doesn't make for a complete turnaround, especially in one of the best divisions in baseball.

So you expect the same injuries and the same lack of performance from PK/Dye/etc.? You think this team played to its potential last year, and we are destined to repeat that? You don't anticipate and improvement from Fields? You don't anticipate Owens playing more like he did in the last month of the year and less like he did in his first month in the majors? You don't think there's a chance Crede is productive? You think Hall will tear his shoulder again? Dye, AJ and PK will all hit 20 points lower than their career averages for sure. Richar has no upside.

There are lots of components to a turn around besides Cabrera and Linebrink. And I am nearly certain that KW is not done.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
So you expect the same injuries and the same lack of performance from PK/Dye/etc.?

Career norm numbers from those 2 won't be more than 3 or 4 games improvement.

You think this team played to its potential last year, and we are destined to repeat that? You don't anticipate and improvement from Fields?

Could happen. Or he could experience a sophomore slide like Crede had. Or neither. It's a bad idea to rely on him to improve.

You don't anticipate Owens playing more like he did in the last month of the year and less like he did in his first month in the majors?Probably not, as he doesn't seem to be part of this team's plans for 08...and if he is, that's not a good sign.

You don't think there's a chance Crede is productive? You think Hall will tear his shoulder again? Dye, AJ and PK will all hit 20 points lower than their career averages for sure. Richar has no upside.

There are lots of components to a turn around besides Cabrera and Linebrink. And I am nearly certain that KW is not done.There's a CHANCE all those things happen, but that's not a ****ing 20 game difference, especially both Cleveland and Detroit well ahead of us

jabrch
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
There's a CHANCE all those things happen, but that's not a ****ing 20 game difference, especially both Cleveland and Detroit well ahead of us

Yet somehow it was a 20 game difference last year...

I'm not at all ready to say this team is a 90 loss team given what we see they have already, and the fact that it is December 6th.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Yet somehow it was a 20 game difference last year...

That's what happens when the teams around you get better and you get worse.

When the teams around you get better and you continue to stay more or less the same, you don't really beat them

I'm not at all ready to say this team is a 90 loss team given what we see they have already, and the fact that it is December 6th.

Me either. But I am ready to say they aren't a playoff team.

The players just aren't out there to make us a playoff team. It doesn't matter if it's December 6th or March 27th

kobo
12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
SS was hardly the issue we had to deal with.
I love how all through last season and when the season ended everyone wanted Uribe off the team and out of town. Then they resign him and everyone *****es about how it was dumb to resign him and give him the $ they gave him. Then a trade is made that upgrades the SS position not only offensively but defensively and now people say SS wasn't a concern or wasn't an area we needed to deal with. Unreal.

Am I happy? Not completely. I like the Linebrink signing, I like that we got Cabrera, I'm happy about not signing Torii or Jones to deals paying them $18 million a year. I'm upset over the state of the farm system and the lack of development that has happened while KW has been GM. But I still have faith he will upgrade CF, find a leadoff hitter, and maybe even find another starter. I don't expect the Sox to be playoff contenders next year, but if they can be competitive and finish .500 or slightly better, I'll be happy.

ilsox7
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I love how all through last season and when the season ended everyone wanted Uribe off the team and out of town. Then they resign him and everyone *****es about how it was dump. Then a trade is made that upgrades the SS position not only offensively but defensively and now people say SS wasn't a concern or wasn't an area we needed to deal with. Unreal.

Just quoting this b/c it is so true. Another prime example of how the fan base does not embrace good things.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
I love how all through last season and when the season ended everyone wanted Uribe off the team and out of town. Then they resign him and everyone *****es about how it was dumb to resign him and give him the $ they gave him. Then a trade is made that upgrades the SS position not only offensively but defensively and now people say SS wasn't a concern or wasn't an area we needed to deal with. Unreal.

Amen.

I'm not sure how people can fault Kenny for the deals he HAS made this offseason...

asindc
12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Amen.

I'm not sure how people can fault Kenny for the deals he HAS made this offseason...

I assume you meant to put this in teal. If so, while I've criticized you recently for your pessimism, I somewhat agree with you here. Actual criticizm of deals already made/not made I think are fair enough.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
I assume you meant to put this in teal. If so, while I've criticized you recently for your pessimism, I somewhat agree with you here. Actual criticizm of deals already made/not made I think are fair enough.

I mean it.

We fixed a huge problem at SS (Uribe's attitude, weight, and awful hitting)

Plugged one of our hugest holes (middle relief)...so what if we "overpaid"? We got the guy we needed for 4 million

And traded from strength (1B) for weakness (MLB-ready OF)

All we gave up was a slightly-above-average pitcher in his walk year (admittedly, I hope Kenny will extend Cabrera for me to fully support that deal), 19 million over 4 years, and an A-level 1B prospect.

The problem is, it doesn't seem like the guys are out there to continue making deals like this to plug our slightly bigger to significantly bigger holes...

kobo
12-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Amen.

Nobody is talking about the deals he's made, they'd rather ***** and moan about the deals he lost out on and rant and rave about what a horrible GM he is.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Nobody is talking about the deals he's made, they'd rather ***** and moan about the deals he lost out on and rant and rave about what a horrible GM he is.

sure they are. You just quoted someone *****ing about the Garland deal

spiffie
12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Amen.

I think that one can question if the hole created is bigger than the hole filled by the Cabrera/Garland trade. There is NO DOUBT that Cabrera is a much better fit at SS than Uribe. None. But is it worth opening up a pretty big hole in the rotation, one where there were already two big question marks, to pick up Cabrera? If you're thinking that OC will give good production for the next few years and that 2-3 of the young arms are good bets to develop, then I can see it. But, and this goes out to everyone who gets apoplectic when you say the Sox might not be a contender in 2008, I don't see how we can reasonably expect the pitching to be better this year with a rotation of MB/JV/JC/Danks/Floyd, which seems to be the plan. Hell, even with those first four and some retread gamble it seems highly unlikely.

fquaye149
12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I think that one can question if the hole created is bigger than the hole filled by the Cabrera/Garland trade. There is NO DOUBT that Cabrera is a much better fit at SS than Uribe. None. But is it worth opening up a pretty big hole in the rotation, one where there were already two big question marks, to pick up Cabrera? If you're thinking that OC will give good production for the next few years and that 2-3 of the young arms are good bets to develop, then I can see it. But, and this goes out to everyone who gets apoplectic when you say the Sox might not be a contender in 2008, I don't see how we can reasonably expect the pitching to be better this year with a rotation of MB/JV/JC/Danks/Floyd, which seems to be the plan. Hell, even with those first four and some retread gamble it seems highly unlikely.

I look at that deal as a look to the long term--veteran presence in a young infield to help the young kids improve, and hopefully extend Cabrera. Also it opens up a rotation spot so Floyd can have a season of work.

I HOPE that's the case. If it's meant to improve the team for this year, it's definitely a sketchy deal

chisoxfanatic
12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm happy the entire year, because I always have a team to follow at all times. The greatest thing about the Sox season is that it's played when Chicago has the best weather. Nothing feels better than being able to go to a game in shorts and a tank top. This stuff is making me long for that 95-degree Wednesday afternoon game against Kansas City towards the end of August. It looks like everyone in the area has renewed their season tickets, so we should have fun regardless.

kobo
12-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't expect the Sox to contend in 08 and never had illusions of them contending despite comments by KW. Even if Hunter had signed and that trade with the Marlins went through, I still wouldn't think the Sox would be contenders in 08. They dealt Garland because they knew he would walk after this year, and they upgraded a position that needed to be upgraded. It does hurt that Garland is gone, but let's see if the young guys can step up or maybe the Sox somehow acquire another starter before ST begins.

santo=dorf
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
The 2008 World Series doesn't start until the third week of October. That's PLENTY of time to improve this garbage team.

:rolleyes:

MySoxAreClean
12-06-2007, 09:49 PM
:rolleyes:Prozac and laxitive, Make me feel happy and relieved

A. Cavatica
12-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm not going back to read this whole thread...so I imagine my mixed feelings will repeat what others have said.

I am happy that KW realized major changes were needed, and I'm happy that he got good value in the two trades he made. I am also fairly happy about Linebrink because he was the best FA reliever, though going to four years (and $19M) for him was nuts.

I am not happy that he seems to have gotten stuck halfway through his grand plan, with too few starting pitchers and too many third basemen, shortstops, and fourth outfielders, but at least he had a grand plan.

Last year I thought the Garcia trade was a prelude to something else, since I couldn't (and still can't) believe KW actually wanted Floyd in the rotation. But the something else never happened. Here we are a year later and I'm still praying for Floyd to be traded, along with Crede or Uribe, for a player who can actually help us.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Are you guys serious? You're happy with this team? You are looking FORWARD to watching this team?? And did I hear someone say they're looking forward to watching the Charlotte Knights playing at U.S. Cellular Field?

*****. Wake up folks. Be pissed because you have every right to be pissed. Jermaine Dye is already pissed because he and Buehrle were promised either Torii Hunter and/or Miguel Cabrera to be a part of the team.

Happy? Let us look at the current 2008 starting lineup...
1) Owens - CF
2) Cabrera - SS
3) Konerko - 1B
4) Thome - DH
5) Dye - RF
6) Crede - 3B
7) Pierzynski - C
8) Fields - LF
9) Richar - 2B

Oh yes, I can't wait to watch 3-8 run the bases. 4 singles in a row MAY produce a run.

SO FAR, I'm disgusted by Kenny Williams. How can he make this offseason right?
1) Sign Aaron Rowand. Don't overpay, you didn't overpay (prospect wise) for Cabrera or Hunter (in terms of dollars), so don't do it on this guy who is clearly your 3rd choice. You want to offer him 3 years, he wants 5 years, give him 4. He wants 14-15 mill per, you want to offer him 12-13, give him 13.5. 4 years, $54 mill, he signs.
2) Trade Uribe for a bullpen arm. Any bullpen help would be nice. Richard can be our backup infielder.
3) Sign the second basemen out of Japan. We struck gold once already (Iguchi in '05), go for it again. Or hell, BRING GOOCH BACK!
4) Sign Fukudome. What is he asking for, 5 years $55 million? Give him 5 years $60 million, hell, even 5 years $70 million. Bring him in! Dye can move to LF as he has lost a lot of speed.
5) Trade Contreras and a solid prospect for crap. I know this sounds nuts but this will be the only way to get rid of deadweight and a huge salary like Contreras'. How do you replace Jose in the rotation? Have Don Cooper pitch, he'll probably be just as effective. OR, go out and sign any of the available starters to a reason 1-2 year deal. These starters include such names as: Livan Hernandez, Matt Clement, Shawn Chacon, Jon Lieber, Carlos Silva, etc.

These 5 steps would make me feel soooo much better. Heck, 3 out of the 5 would make me feel good. But right now? No, I'm disgusted.

fquaye149
12-07-2007, 06:38 AM
come on man...you're giving us dark clouds a bad name!

Even though there's no way we can compete in 2008, there's plenty to be optimistic about--we have a lot of great young talent

kitekrazy
12-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh yes, I can't wait to watch 3-8 run the bases. 4 singles in a row MAY produce a run.

1) Sign Aaron Rowand. Don't overpay,

Oh so true. The Sox just can't break from station to station baseball.

Anyone who signs Rowand will probably over pay.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
come on man...you're giving us dark clouds a bad name!

Even though there's no way we can compete in 2008, there's plenty to be optimistic about--we have a lot of great young talent

do we? WHO??? we need to wake up man, I love this team as much as the next guy, but where is this young talent? only guys i see with talent are fields and danks. who else do we have? ive been hearing about gio gonzalez for 4 years now. is he in AAA yet?? and if we do have "a lot of great talent", why wasn't it good enough to land us miguel cabrera? or even edgar renteria? why did we have to trade one of our top 3 starters to get orlando cabrera? and why wouldn't we take on willis also? he becomes our # 3 starter if he was acquired.

you guys can try to paint this picture with as much optimism as you'd like, but i choose to be a realist. this team, as it is today on december 7th, sucks, and our farm system has been and is a disappointment. call me a dark cloud, tell me how much we have to "look forward to", and ill see the same people complaining during the season in 2008 about what the hell happened to our ML team and the system.

fquaye149
12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
do we? WHO??? we need to wake up man, I love this team as much as the next guy, but where is this young talent? only guys i see with talent are fields and danks. who else do we have? ive been hearing about gio gonzalez for 4 years now. is he in AAA yet?? and if we do have "a lot of great talent", why wasn't it good enough to land us miguel cabrera? or even edgar renteria? why did we have to trade one of our top 3 starters to get orlando cabrera? and why wouldn't we take on willis also? he becomes our # 3 starter if he was acquired.

you guys can try to paint this picture with as much optimism as you'd like, but i choose to be a realist. this team, as it is today on december 7th, sucks, and our farm system has been and is a disappointment. call me a dark cloud, tell me how much we have to "look forward to", and ill see the same people complaining during the season in 2008 about what the hell happened to our ML team and the system.

MacDougall and Thornton had lousy 2007's but it's pretty early to give up on them.

Quentin and Owens will get their shakes in 08 and one of the two could very well get the job done. Richar wasn't great in 07, but there's reason to believe he could play well this year. Floyd showed signs of improvement.

I expect good things out of Danks and Fields, but I also expect 1 or 2 of the people I just listed to step up and show that they might be ready to take that step to the next level. I think that's pretty exciting.

FarmerAndy
12-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Of course a GM would never admit it to the fans, but I'm hoping that Kenny is working on building a team for '09. I'm fine with a down year, as long as there is a building strategy in place.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 03:41 AM
How can he make this offseason right?
1) Sign Aaron Rowand. Don't overpay, you didn't overpay (prospect wise) for Cabrera or Hunter (in terms of dollars), so don't do it on this guy who is clearly your 3rd choice. You want to offer him 3 years, he wants 5 years, give him 4. He wants 14-15 mill per, you want to offer him 12-13, give him 13.5. 4 years, $54 mill, he signs.
2) Trade Uribe for a bullpen arm. Any bullpen help would be nice. Richard can be our backup infielder.
3) Sign the second basemen out of Japan. We struck gold once already (Iguchi in '05), go for it again. Or hell, BRING GOOCH BACK!
4) Sign Fukudome. What is he asking for, 5 years $55 million? Give him 5 years $60 million, hell, even 5 years $70 million. Bring him in! Dye can move to LF as he has lost a lot of speed.
5) Trade Contreras and a solid prospect for crap. I know this sounds nuts but this will be the only way to get rid of deadweight and a huge salary like Contreras'. How do you replace Jose in the rotation? Have Don Cooper pitch, he'll probably be just as effective. OR, go out and sign any of the available starters to a reason 1-2 year deal. These starters include such names as: Livan Hernandez, Matt Clement, Shawn Chacon, Jon Lieber, Carlos Silva, etc.

These 5 steps would make me feel soooo much better. Heck, 3 out of the 5 would make me feel good. But right now? No, I'm disgusted.

Cross # 4 off the list. Man KW, you are really down to your last bullet.... it's Rowand or bust for you now buddy... good luck.

Grzegorz
12-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Perspective please...

It's December 12th 2007. I'll wait to see what the team looks like going into the season starting in March of 2008 before I make an assessment.

santo=dorf
12-12-2007, 06:30 AM
Perspective please...

It's December 12th 2007. I'll wait to see what the team looks like going into the season starting in March of 2008 before I make an assessment.
I'm not tossing in the towel yet either, but when March 2008 rolls around I hope I don't see many "prespective people. We haven't even played the season" posts.

Fantosme
12-12-2007, 06:41 AM
I am happy with the three moves that Kenny made this offseason. Cabrera is a huge upgrade at SS. Linebrink, while on the decline, was a necessary addition. And if Quentin reaches his potential, he will be one of the best LFs in baseball.

But overall I am unhappy because of the moves that are not being made. This team has a huge number of holes, and plays in the best division in baseball. There is little room for error. The Sox need 95 wins or so to make the playoffs, and I cannot see that occuring without all of the following happening...

* Rowand or Hamilton replaces Owens
* Dye returns to MVP form
* Thome stays healthy
* Konerko avoids a 3-month slump
* Richar reaches his potential
* Quentin reaches his potential
* Floyd reaches his potential
* Linebrink pitches like he did in SD
* Contreras returns to 2005 form
* Danks replaces Garland's production
* The bullpen as a whole is one of the better ones in the AL

With so many things that need to go right, it is hard for me to envision the team in its current form finishing any higher than 3rd in the division.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm not happy with how the team gets dragged through the mud because of the big FA signings we didn't get. I'm not happy that this whole town's media spin will be how the other team in town is building a contender....because if it fails at Clark and Addison, there won't be an outpouring of what went wrong. Right now it's popular to crucify KW because of what he didn't land...but some of these same writers would be complaining about money spent IF he did sign Andruw Jones, Torii, etc....

Do I wish we had nailed down some FA's? Of course. Is there anything I can do about it? Nope...I'm not the GM.

Over By There
12-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm not happy with how the team gets dragged through the mud because of the big FA signings we didn't get. I'm not happy that this whole town's media spin will be how the other team in town is building a contender....because if it fails at Clark and Addison, there won't be an outpouring of what went wrong. Right now it's popular to crucify KW because of what he didn't land...but some of these same writers would be complaining about money spent IF he did sign Andruw Jones, Torii, etc....

Do I wish we had nailed down some FA's? Of course. Is there anything I can do about it? Nope...I'm not the GM.

Good post, that's pretty much the way I see things as well. I would feel more comfortable if we had addressed more needs at this point, sure. But there is still plenty of offseason, and if trading Crede is part of the plan, we probably can't do that until spring training. I'm not saying that the Sox can win the WS as currently constructed... but I hate the way that the Dark Clouders around here discount the fact that tons of people were skeptical our 2004/5 offseason moves too. It sure is easy to look back through the lens of a world championship and see that the moves worked that year. It's harder to look through the lens of last season and see how much of anything is going to work, frankly.

I want to win the WS again as bad as anybody, and sure I wish we had a lineup of all stars. But the fact is that you never really know in baseball - the Yankees are a great example of the fact that just because you build a great team on paper, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed the division, much less the World Series (as many people have already given the Tigers). So I'm not willing to piss my pants in early December. I still have faith in KW that he's doing what he can, and that the upgrades we've made are going to mean a better, more enjoyable product on the field next year.

spiffie
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm not tossing in the towel yet either, but when March 2008 rolls around I hope I don't see many "prespective people. We haven't even played the season" posts.
I hope to win the Mega Millions jackpot this Friday. I'm thinking my odds are slightly better than yours of getting what we want.

Chicken Dinner
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I guess I just don't understand re-signing the core team and spending all that coin on those contracts but not doing anything much to improve/fill the holes that are so blatantly obvious.:(::(::(::(::(:

voodoochile
12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I guess I just don't understand re-signing the core team and spending all that coin on those contracts but not doing anything much to improve/fill the holes that are so blatantly obvious.:(::(::(::(::(:

You mean like acquiring a top of the order gold glove SS?

You mean like signing a stud relief pitcher?

You mean like acquiring a good young OF prospect who appears to be ready to play in the majors?

Chicken Dinner
12-12-2007, 11:44 AM

You mean like acquiring a good young OF prospect who appears to be ready to play in the majors?

Well we have too many short stops, have yet to see if this relief pitcher is going to be a "stud" for 4 years, and I don't think the prospect is going to start in center.

Dolanski
12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
No, I am not happy. But that has more to do with all the whiners and crybabies who bemoan every deal we didn't do/get. I just thank God that none of you PPDCers are our GM. We would have a team full of overpaid over the hill losers.

In any case, you can't pass judgement on the off season until Spring Training.

spiffie
12-12-2007, 11:47 AM
No, I am not happy. But that has more to do with all the whiners and crybabies who bemoan every deal we didn't do/get. I just thank God that none of you PPDCers are our GM. We would have a team full of overpaid over the hill losers.

You can't pass judgment on them then. They haven't played a single game at that point! Best to wait until the All-Star Break.

No, wait, that doesn't work, since who knows what we might add at the trade deadline, best to wait until the end of the season to pass judgment.

Nah, wait, that sucks too. Then it is just hindsight, and no one could have seen it, whatever it is, coming.

Dolanski
12-12-2007, 11:55 AM
You can't pass judgment on them then. They haven't played a single game at that point! Best to wait until the All-Star Break.

No, wait, that doesn't work, since who knows what we might add at the trade deadline, best to wait until the end of the season to pass judgment.

Nah, wait, that sucks too. Then it is just hindsight, and no one could have seen it, whatever it is, coming.

So just complain constantly about everything? You are making judgements and statements on the upcoming season with an incomplete picture. For example, who is our starting centerfielder next season? Rowand? Brian Anderson? Someone else?

If things are so bad and so worth writing negative after negative post, why don't you just join the dark side on be a Cub fan? Then you have 100 years of things to complain about.

Chicken Dinner
12-12-2007, 11:55 AM

I guess in your mind that losing 90 games is acceptable.:o:

rdivaldi
12-12-2007, 11:57 AM

:?:

Where in the wild world of sports did that come from?

Dolanski
12-12-2007, 11:59 AM

I just refuse to say our season is over in December.

asindc
12-12-2007, 12:07 PM

How could you possibly reach that conclusion based on what he said?

spiffie
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
So just complain constantly about everything? You are making judgements and statements on the upcoming season with an incomplete picture. For example, who is our starting centerfielder next season? Rowand? Brian Anderson? Someone else?

If things are so bad and so worth writing negative after negative post, why don't you just join the dark side on be a Cub fan? Then you have 100 years of things to complain about.
Nah, I'm a Sox fan. I have 90 years of things to complain about and 1 year to remember until I die.

And you just hit on the problem with the team. Rowand, Anderson, Owens...none of those names are likely to help this team much. The "anyone else" isn't likely to, since those names generally include Corey Patterson, Coco Crisp, and other assorted bad ideas.

Here's the problem with talking about the Sox right now...there's not much positive to talk about. The only thing that really was to me an unqualified positive this offseason is the Quentin trade. I am excited to see him healthy and in LF for us. Otherwise it is a series of risky moves and failed pursuits.

And since you decided to throw them on out there in the conversation (how they relate to talking about the Sox baffles me but whatever), perhaps you might think of hopping the Red Line up to a few stops north of 35th. After all, if you want a fanbase who couldn't care less about winning, who sees every year as the one where its going to happen, and who are happy as long as the grass is green and the beer is cold, they're right there for you and anyone else who can't tolerate anyone daring to speak ill of a 72-win team that has at best slightly improved overall this offseason.

The season is not over. But seriously, there's a point where it becomes about absolute refusal to even look at the team objectively. It's like wearing shorts every day in winter because "you never know, it might get really hot today!" Sure, there's a chance it might spike up to 80 degrees this afternoon, but most of the time you're just going to freeze because you don't want to be a pessimist and assume it will be cold in Chicago in December.

asindc
12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
It's like wearing shorts every day in winter because "you never know, it might get really hot today!" Sure, there's a chance it might spike up to 80 degrees this afternoon, but most of the time you're just going to freeze because you don't want to be a pessimist and assume it will be cold in Chicago in December.

No, a realist realizes its going to be cold in Chicago in December. A pessimist assumes since it is cold now in December, it will be just as cold in April next year.

spiffie
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
No, a realist realizes its going to be cold in Chicago in December. A pessimist assumes since it is cold now in December, it will be just as cold in April next year.
Problem is that a lot of folks simply refuse to watch a weather report since no one can truly predict what will happen with the weather, and since warm days are better than cold ones, they assume its going to be warm until proven otherwise, then they say "who could have known it would cold this winter?"

Dolanski
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Nah, I'm a Sox fan. I have 90 years of things to complain about and 1 year to remember until I die.

And you just hit on the problem with the team. Rowand, Anderson, Owens...none of those names are likely to help this team much. The "anyone else" isn't likely to, since those names generally include Corey Patterson, Coco Crisp, and other assorted bad ideas.

Here's the problem with talking about the Sox right now...there's not much positive to talk about. The only thing that really was to me an unqualified positive this offseason is the Quentin trade. I am excited to see him healthy and in LF for us. Otherwise it is a series of risky moves and failed pursuits.

And since you decided to throw them on out there in the conversation (how they relate to talking about the Sox baffles me but whatever), perhaps you might think of hopping the Red Line up to a few stops north of 35th. After all, if you want a fanbase who couldn't care less about winning, who sees every year as the one where its going to happen, and who are happy as long as the grass is green and the beer is cold, they're right there for you and anyone else who can't tolerate anyone daring to speak ill of a 72-win team that has at best slightly improved overall this offseason.

The season is not over. But seriously, there's a point where it becomes about absolute refusal to even look at the team objectively. It's like wearing shorts every day in winter because "you never know, it might get really hot today!" Sure, there's a chance it might spike up to 80 degrees this afternoon, but most of the time you're just going to freeze because you don't want to be a pessimist and assume it will be cold in Chicago in December.

Objectively. Right. So we are such a bad team that we have no hope, no chance. There are no moves or free agents that could help this team next season. You aren't being objective, you are being pessimistic. You have already decided that 2008 will be a last place finish.

I am just so sick of posters like you who just complain, complain, complain and complain. With so much negativity, it makes me wonder why you are a fan in the first place, thus the Cubs reference.

As a fan and season ticket holder, yeah, I want to win every year. It makes the summer that much more fun and games are more exciting and have more energy. But I don't spend my winters telling everyone how much we suck and how bad we are and how awful things are. I refuse to sit here and lament about the lost 2008 season before it is played.

The Milkman
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I think that the real reason most of us are so upset is that KW was talking TOO much and was TOO confident in Torii/MigCab that we were equally confident and completely derailed by the disappointment of not acquiring either. If he would not have been talking, I don't think any of us are nearly as upset. Simple enough.

It is only DECEMBER, but it's the fact that KW has been running his mouth with nothing to back it up that most of us (including me) are freaking out at this point.

gosox41
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
I think that the real reason most of us are so upset is that KW was talking TOO much and was TOO confident in Torii/MigCab that we were equally confident and completely derailed by the disappointment of not acquiring either. If he would not have been talking, I don't think any of us are nearly as upset. Simple enough.

It is only DECEMBER, but it's the fact that KW has been running his mouth with nothing to back it up that most of us (including me) are freaking out at this point.

I'm not freaking out at KW's over confidence. I'm not even freaking. But I see the Tigers getting better and the Indians are very good. Minnesota depends on Santana trade. KC is on the rise. And while some holes were filled, it's hard to get excited about Cabrera's & Quentin's offense. Defensively they're more then fine but there are questions offensively.

The team still needs some speed and a lead off hitter.

The Linebrink siging was decent for the near term but lousy for the next 4 years. I am concerned about his numbers going up in a hitters ballpark like the Cell when compared to Petco. He did give up a lot of home runs last year and now that he's in the AL, he's facing better offenses.

But he is an upgrade because he'll do better in the set up role then MacDougal. But that's kind of like being the tallest midget.

Bob

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Perhaps the worst case of being drunk off of the White Sox Kool-Aid ever. We are at an all-time high this offseason with this kind of stuff.

How about the leadoff man we still need?
How about the 2-3 other bullpen arms we STILL need?
How about losing a starter and HOPING we can rely on Contreras PLUS two young, unproven starters?
How about falling short on Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, and Fukudome when Buehrle and Dye were told, before signing their extensions last season, theat one of the first two would be a part of their team in 2008?
How about falling short on your promise of "we will return to championship baseball" and "we will not go through what we went through in 2007"? You can try and tell me the offseason isn't over yet, but what the hell is left out there? If you were to break the news of the Sox acquired Rowand AND Coco Crisp to me right now I still don't think I'd be so happy because we had to settle for Plan 1W and Plan 2H.

Stop. Defending. Failure.
This offseason has been a FAILURE so far. You can laugh in my face and say "I TOLD YOU SO, MORON!" if they got out and answer all these questions, I'll welcome that because it'll mean the team is in good shape.
But I have a feeling a lot of you guys will just fill up a balloon around here full of false hope and unexplained optimism labeled "We Are In Good Shape".
As a realist, I'm here to pop that balloon.

voodoochile
12-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Well we have too many short stops, have yet to see if this relief pitcher is going to be a "stud" for 4 years, and I don't think the prospect is going to start in center.

You wanted to see Uribe back at SS next year or are you mitigating the signing just because you don't feel enough has been done?

Linebrink was the single most sought after relief pitcher on the FA market wasn't he? I mean this was the TorIIII of relief pitchers as I undertand it. That's a pretty decent signing and all by itself may make the bullpen a functional unit if the kids who performed at the end of last season continue to do so.

Regardless of whether the Quentin plays CF or not, the Sox did need a LF too, correct?

Things have improved and some of the other issues are going to have to wait until the Crede situation works itself out. He cannot be traded until he proves he is healthy, and no guarantee the Sox are actually going to trade him before the season starts anyway.

Maybe these aren't the impact signings/trades you wanted, but they still make the team better...

voodoochile
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Way to put words in someone's mouth.

See this is why it's so hard to have a discussion with some of you ledge walkers. There's just no room for rational discussion.

Dolanski
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Perhaps the worst case of being drunk off of the White Sox Kool-Aid ever. We are at an all-time high this offseason with this kind of stuff.

How about losing a starter and HOPING we can rely on Contreras PLUS two young, unproven starters?
How about falling short on Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, and Fukudome when Buehrle and Dye were told, before signing their extensions last season, theat one of the first two would be a part of their team in 2008?
How about falling short on your promise of "we will return to championship baseball" and "we will not go through what we went through in 2007"? You can try and tell me the offseason isn't over yet, but what the hell is left out there? If you were to break the news of the Sox acquired Rowand AND Coco Crisp to me right now I still don't think I'd be so happy because we had to settle for Plan 1W and Plan 2H.

This offseason has been a FAILURE so far. You can laugh in my face and say "I TOLD YOU SO, MORON!" if they got out and answer all these questions, I'll welcome that because it'll mean the team is in good shape.
But I have a feeling a lot of you guys will just fill up a balloon around here full of false hope and unexplained optimism labeled "We Are In Good Shape".

You are quite possibly the most bitter and negative Sox fan I have ever seen. You may want to consider upping that dosage of Prozac.

spiffie
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Objectively. Right. So we are such a bad team that we have no hope, no chance. There are no moves or free agents that could help this team next season. You aren't being objective, you are being pessimistic. You have already decided that 2008 will be a last place finish.

I am just so sick of posters like you who just complain, complain, complain and complain. With so much negativity, it makes me wonder why you are a fan in the first place, thus the Cubs reference.

As a fan and season ticket holder, yeah, I want to win every year. It makes the summer that much more fun and games are more exciting and have more energy. But I don't spend my winters telling everyone how much we suck and how bad we are and how awful things are. I refuse to sit here and lament about the lost 2008 season before it is played.
Of course things could help this team. Things have helped this team. This is a better team today than they were on October 1st. But how good are they? Does adding a better SS, and subtracting a SP equal 24 more wins? If not, then what they've done isn't enough.

The problem is I don't want the Sox to win 85 games next year, and the year after, and the year after that. 85 games doesn't do **** for you except let you linger around a race like some baseball wraith until early September.

I don't think this team, barring some beyond unexpected move, can win 93-95 games next year. That's not pessimism. That's realism. I would rather make moves now that help us have a chance to win those 93-95 or more games needed to make the playoffs in 2009, or 2010, and if that means sitting through a ****ty 2008, so be it.

I will never abandon this team, but I want to see them choose a direction and stick to it. Right now I feel like I am watching the team I live for stuck in a netherworld where they can't move forward or backward. They can improve, but not enough to compete next year. They can get younger and plan for the future, but not enough to really be stocked and prepared for 2-3 years from now. So damn right I'm going to say my piece on it. I'm sorry you don't like seeing anyone say things aren't going to be peachy. I tried that last offseason, posting nothing but happy-joy posts that predicted 110 wins for the Sox and that Gavin Floyd would win 24 games for the Sox. Didn't change a damn thing except to dull my brain every time I tried posting it.

It's cold out today. Wear your jacket, or believe that if you just wish for it, the day will get much warmer. I have my Sox jacket on.

Dolanski
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Of course things could help this team. Things have helped this team. This is a better team today than they were on October 1st. But how good are they? Does adding a better SS, and subtracting a SP equal 24 more wins? If not, then what they've done isn't enough.

The problem is I don't want the Sox to win 85 games next year, and the year after, and the year after that. 85 games doesn't do **** for you except let you linger around a race like some baseball wraith until early September.

I don't think this team, barring some beyond unexpected move, can win 93-95 games next year. That's not pessimism. That's realism. I would rather make moves now that help us have a chance to win those 93-95 or more games needed to make the playoffs in 2009, or 2010, and if that means sitting through a ****ty 2008, so be it.

I will never abandon this team, but I want to see them choose a direction and stick to it. Right now I feel like I am watching the team I live for stuck in a netherworld where they can't move forward or backward. They can improve, but not enough to compete next year. They can get younger and plan for the future, but not enough to really be stocked and prepared for 2-3 years from now. So damn right I'm going to say my piece on it. I'm sorry you don't like seeing anyone say things aren't going to be peachy. I tried that last offseason, posting nothing but happy-joy posts that predicted 110 wins for the Sox and that Gavin Floyd would win 24 games for the Sox. Didn't change a damn thing except to dull my brain every time I tried posting it.

It's cold out today. Wear your jacket, or believe that if you just wish for it, the day will get much warmer. I have my Sox jacket on.

My mistake. You are the most bitter and negative Sox fan ever.

asindc
12-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Spiffle, if you and others who have bemoaned this offseason so far would just make comments like this one, which criticizes what has happened so far and offer at least a general suggestion for the direction of the team, I would not have a problem with the pessimism.

But what I and others have been objecting to all along is the persistent "Woe is us, we'll never win now" whining that comes with every FA signing by another team of a guy we (and when I say "we" here, I mean WSI posters) highly coveted. I can deal with, and will defend, any Sox fan's right to criticize management's actions, but this expecting the worse for 08 this early in the offseason has grown tiresome.

spiffie
12-12-2007, 12:45 PM
My mistake. You are the most bitter and negative Sox fan ever.
Oh that's so not true. I'm not even close to the most bitter and negative Sox fan on this site. Hell, I'm not even the most bitter and negative Sox fan in this thread. You obviously missed the raving lunatics calling for KW's job, demanding Reinsdorf cell, I mean sell. I have a long way to go to reach the rarified air of some of our true crazies. Hell, my big complaint is we might only win 85 games next year. But hey, if I'm the most bitter and negative Sox fan you've ever known, I guess I'm jealous, because you must have some damn happy folks in your life.

voodoochile
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM

I'll stop defending failure when it's obvious the Sox have failed.

Your post puts the whole realist thing in perspective. By your own admission, the Sox can still improve the team, but it simply won't be enough because it wasn't the ideal plan that KW and all the fans wanted. So at this stage of the game, you're already willing to write it all off because no matte what, the Sox simply cannot get good enough (IYO) to compete with the teams who are above them.

It no longer matters to you that the Sox can improve the team, since it is only a backup plan (or even the 23rd backup plan - nice use of letters even if you have no idea what KW's plans were past TorIIII and Cabrera - but keep assuming you know them that way you can look so cool by throwing out those magical letters - heck you even threw in a 2 well done) it simply isn't good enough and nothing ever will be and nothing can be done about it either...

spiffie
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Spiffle, if you and others who have bemoaned this offseason so far would just make comments like this one, which criticizes what has happened so far and offer at least a general suggestion for the direction of the team, I would not have a problem with the pessimism.

But what I and others have been objecting to all along is the persistent "Woe is us, we'll never win now" whining that comes with every FA signing by another team of a guy we (and when I say "we" here, I mean WSI posters) highly coveted. I can deal with, and will defend, any Sox fan's right to criticize management's actions, but this expecting the worse for 08 this early in the offseason has grown tiresome.
Some of us have. Problem is it gets drowned out by the true looneys who see no solution short of firing everyone in the organization, selling it to a Russian oil magnate, and becoming the Marlins.

Honestly, out of all the FA's on the market this offseason there's not one I would have really wanted the Sox to sign. The only move I've seen I wish we could have been in on was Cabrera/Willis, and even that would have been tough if they needed to move Willis. I would spend a lot of capital for Cabrera, but the amount needed for both of them is just too much for a team I think needs to rebuild over a 2-3 year span.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 12:53 PM
It no longer matters to you that the Sox can improve the team, since it is only a backup plan (or even the 23rd backup plan - nice use of letters even if you have no idea what KW's plans were past TorIIII and Cabrera - but keep assuming you know them that way you can look so cool by throwing out those magical letters - heck you even threw in a 2 well done) it simply isn't good enough and nothing ever will be and nothing can be done about it either...

Your runoff insults are cute, I might use them one day.

VDC, let me ask you this, KW even coming out and stating "so and so is our plan 1A and so and so is our plan 1B", how do you feel about that? why even put that out there? wouldnt you rather he use his "under the radar approach" and thennn we either hear about his intentions when we actually sign/trade for 1 of the 4 major players we've heard about or we hear about just how serious he was after he fails at acquiring them? doesnt that make more sense? dont come out pumping your chest telling the media, and essentially your fanbase, "we want torii", "we're going to get torii", and "we got torii". then, WHOOPS!, you got punk'd! torii just got a last second offer and he's going to the angels. ok, that happens, fine, move on. but dont comeback right away with "we still have BIG plans", "we will make a BIG move", and get everyones hopes up that miguel cabrera is coming to the sox and WHOOPS! you got punk'd again! cabrera is going to your division rivals WITH a solid left-handed starter!

give me a break. just keep your lips sealed, FROM DAY ONE, and go about your business. either get it done and we'll applaud you or go down as a loser as quietly as possible.

voodoochile
12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Your runoff insults are cute, I might use them one day.

VDC, let me ask you this, KW even coming out and stating "so and so is our plan 1A and so and so is our plan 1B", how do you feel about that? why even put that out there? wouldnt you rather he use his "under the radar approach" and thennn we either hear about his intentions when we actually sign/trade for 1 of the 4 major players we've heard about or we hear about just how serious he was after he fails at acquiring them? doesnt that make more sense? dont come out pumping your chest telling the media, and essentially your fanbase, "we want torii", "we're going to get torii", and "we got torii". then, WHOOPS!, you got punk'd! torii just got a last second offer and he's going to the angels. ok, that happens, fine, move on. but dont comeback right away with "we still have BIG plans", "we will make a BIG move", and get everyones hopes up that miguel cabrera is coming to the sox and WHOOPS! you got punk'd again! cabrera is going to your division rivals WITH a solid left-handed starter!

give me a break. just keep your lips sealed, FROM DAY ONE, and go about your business. either get it done and we'll applaud you or go down as a loser as quietly as possible.

If KW doesn't talk, everyone yells at him for not telling us his plans. If he does talk and things don't work out, he gets yelled at for telling us his plans and then failing to achieve them. It's a no win situation and this year the fans are even more up in arms because last year the Sox lost 90 games - regardless of whether it was a bit of a fluke or not and a lot of things had to break bad for it to happen.

For me it's not about what happened last week or even last month it's what can be done in the future and I have faith that KW still has options and some that people on this board aren't even considering because they involve trades.

We can run around in circles like chickens with our heads removed bemoaning our fate for the failed plans that went before or we can turn to the future and see what KW does. I am sure he isn't happy about how things have gone, but I'm equally sure he's not done trying...

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Last week I had us penciled in for 6th place in the AL Central. I am worried it might actually be 7th place now. I leave you with some Michelle Branch (Edit - it's actually Avril, shame on me):

You were everything, everything that I wanted
We were meant to be, supposed to be, but we lost it
And all of the memories, so close to me, just fade away
All this time you were pretending
So much for my happy ending
Oh oh, oh oh, oh oh...

ZombieRob
12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I think the guy i feel bad most for is Ozzie.2 years removed from winning a title ,now your basically at this point managing the the RoyalsI think some of the fans are Harsh on K.W to the point it gets silly.On the other hand he insults the fan base by saying he likes this starting rotation.So this laying it on poor K.W o give K.W a chance wears a little thin as well.So in essance sure the fans are a little out of line but so is K.W for some of the things that come out of his mouth.

spiffie
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Last week I had us penciled in for 6th place in the AL Central. I am worried it might actually be 7th place now. I leave you with some Michelle Branch:
Hey, that's Avril Lavigne! :redneck

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey, that's Avril Lavigne! :redneck

Damnit, where is my mind. OK, here's Michelle as promised:

Could you look me in the eye
And tell me that you’re happy now, ohhh, ohhh
Would you tell it to my face or have I been erased,
Are you happy now?
Are you happy now?

nevr say dye sox
12-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Granted the Marlins are in a weaker division than the Sox, everybody keeps talking about how their a joke with an $8 mil payroll. Guys call me crazy but I think their closer to a world series than we are. They have been aquiring Top prospects for a few years. And I think they are a few FA's from really contending. Once a few of these young guys have a chance to mature. The package they got from Detriot was unblievable. I really like the way they put a team together. It may take them a yr to make the playoffs again, but I would bet that they make the playoffs before we do!

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Last week I had us penciled in for 6th place in the AL Central. I am worried it might actually be 7th place now. I leave you with some Michelle Branch:

that also sounds a little bit like plain white tees.... "hate"......

You were everything I wanted
You were everything a girl could be
Then you left me brokenhearted
Now you don't mean a thing to me
All I wanted was your
Love love love love love love

TomBradley72
12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm not happy at all...not so much for the trade/FA activity but for the overall state of our farm system...there is very little hope in that area (especially for position players) in the near future. I'm not frustrated with KW on his trades/FA signings....but I'm 100% disappointed with our performance in player development. He's had 12+ years in various roles to get that right...based on his track record in that area...I'm not optimistic for the future.

With that said....the actual regular season alway brings alot of surprises...so we'll see what happens. I was looking at the "vaunted" Tigers starting rotation the other day...and I think they are not as good as publicized:

#2: Rogers (3-4,4.43 in 2007)
#3: Bonderman (11-9, 5.01 in 2007)
#4: Willis (10-15, 5.15 in 2007/National League)
#5: Robertson (9-13,4.76)

Big tub of goo Todd Jones is their closer...not much else in the bullpen.

I think there's some vulnerability there....I'd still put us at 4th place in the Central for 2008...but injuries, "career years", etc...can change things pretty dramatically.

I am glad though that I did not renew my weekend season ticket package.

Over By There
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
You can laugh in my face and say "I TOLD YOU SO, MORON!" if they got out and answer all these questions, I'll welcome that because it'll mean the team is in good shape.

Ahh, the ease and simplicity of being a PPDCer. Indulge the sophomoric temptation to criticize every offseason move, but always have the ability next year to say, "hey, who cares if I was wrong - we're winning! Right guys?"

voodoochile
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Ahh, the ease and simplicity of being a PPDCer. Indulge the sophomoric temptation to criticize every offseason move, but always have the ability next year to say, "hey, who cares if I was wrong - we're winning! Right guys?"

And the ability to scream, gloat and crow in satisfaction if they turn out to be right

Nellie_Fox
12-12-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm not tossing in the towel yet either, but when March 2008 rolls around I hope I don't see many "prespective people. We haven't even played the season" posts.Yeah, well, hope into one hand and **** into the other, and see which one fills up faster.

I hope every day that I won't have to come in here and wade through another gloom and doom thread like this, and every day I'm disappointed.

Over By There
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
And the ability to scream, gloat and crow in satisfaction if they turn out to be right

Oh, absolutely, that's a given...

Cuck the Fubs
12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm happy..........I'm also happy to be a season ticket holder.

Baseball is not played on paper, anything can & will happen.

That said, there is nothing like a day at the Cell with family & friends.

Kenny is doing all he can, and no matter what, I will remain a fan through thick & thin.

nevr say dye sox
12-12-2007, 05:00 PM
We can't even overpay for players and have them come to the Sox. In the Sun times article it says the Sox bid higher than the Cubs but he chose the Cubs because it is a more ready to win now ball club. How do you fix a team, when you can't even get players to come by over paying them.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah, well, hope into one hand and **** into the other, and see which one fills up faster.

I hope every day that I won't have to come in here and wade through another gloom and doom thread like this, and every day I'm disappointed.
I'm with you, for whatever it's worth. The Sox will play 162 games. Enjoy them.

delben91
12-12-2007, 07:01 PM
How do you fix a team, when you can't even get players to come by over paying them.

You play your own prospects, and if they aren't good enough, get some from other clubs by trading your veterans that have value.

Now, not saying have a fire sale.

Play Richar, Fields, Quentin, Owens/Sweeney/Anderson, Danks, Floyd, Wassermann, Logan.

See who can play and who can't. Let them get experience and improve. Build the team up enough and then the Sox will be the team with a better chance to win now.

Frontman
12-12-2007, 10:28 PM
You know what?

I'm happy to be a Sox fan, through thick and thin. Want to know why, that even with the bad times I'm happy?

Stories like this:

Sox entertain kids at holiday party
Jenks and Thome entertain more than 500 children

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071212&content_id=2323279&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

It's stories like that about my team that makes me proud to be a Sox fan; and to root on the team, even when it looks like the decks stacked against them.

It's a good team, and Kenny is trying. Beyond that, I can't wait for the first game I can go to next season to root them on.

LongLiveFisk
12-18-2007, 07:53 PM
I haven't been happy in years (well, except for that glorious 2005 World Series)...

I'm working on it, though. :wink:

Sox
12-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I would absolutely have to say that I am happy. I am also ready for baseball season to start and all though the Sox don't look all that great on paper right now I also believe that there is always room for improvement. Couple of good trades have been made which I am happy about. Diehard Sox fan always. Raised a Sox fan by my grandfather. Thanks Grand-dad.:D:

SluggersAway
12-19-2007, 03:32 AM
You know what?

I'm happy to be a Sox fan, through thick and thin. Want to know why, that even with the bad times I'm happy?

Stories like this:

Sox entertain kids at holiday party
Jenks and Thome entertain more than 500 children

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071212&content_id=2323279&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

It's stories like that about my team that makes me proud to be a Sox fan.

I am happy, but not for bull**** stories about millionaires handing out hot dogs to kids. Give me a ****ing break. Every team in the league does that ****. They are payed to play. Fake charity and generosity are nothing but cheap PR moves. If it takes Bobby Jenks to bring a smile to your kids face with a hot dog you are seriously a hopeless parent, need to get a life, think about the more important things in the world, and get your priorities straight. Rome burns while Nero plays his fiddle and we continue to idolize gladiators.

Maybe Jenks or Thome can teach them about motivation, passion, focus, a thirst for learning, technology, history, political science, economics, anything instead of stuffing their face with hot dogs.

All I ask of the Sox is to play the damn game with a little passion and fire.

Oh, did you hear? Britney Spears 16 year old sister is pregnant!

fozzy
12-19-2007, 04:44 AM
sluggersaway- if your that bitter towards baseball and the stars who play the game stop watching. i'm sure some of the stars do it just for the press... but most love to meet the kids. everyday i work with kids with down syndrome. i met the players all the time... even when i go there with my nephews there great to them. NEVER put jenks or thome and alot of other white sox's into any type of category of anything other then would do anything for the kids they meet.

maybe baseball players should just be hero's or idol's... that's what they were for me. if you want someone to teach kids learning, technology, history, political science, and economics maybe it should be their teacher's or parent's not baseball players. thats who did it for me despite the fact i am classified learning disabled or retarded just because i was slow. you know what i'm a teacher today in spite of it all... and i will never forget jim spencer, harold baines, britt burnes and countless others because they taught me to dream for the stars

voodoochile
12-19-2007, 09:24 AM
I am happy, but not for bull**** stories about millionaires handing out hot dogs to kids. Give me a ****ing break. Every team in the league does that ****. They are payed to play. Fake charity and generosity are nothing but cheap PR moves. If it takes Bobby Jenks to bring a smile to your kids face with a hot dog you are seriously a hopeless parent, need to get a life, think about the more important things in the world, and get your priorities straight. Rome burns while Nero plays his fiddle and we continue to idolize gladiators.

Maybe Jenks or Thome can teach them about motivation, passion, focus, a thirst for learning, technology, history, political science, economics, anything instead of stuffing their face with hot dogs.

Yeah, and I'm sure the 500 kids looked at it in exactly the same way.

Just because you are cynical of their motives and actions, doesn't mean no good came from it.

Guess what, the Santa at the mall probably isn't there for your amusement either...:rolleyes:

duke of dorwood
12-19-2007, 09:39 AM
And there are many pro athletes that wouldnt get involved in an event like that. That was great to be aware of that.

I'm not happy about the baseball operations, but thats not the players fault.

Harry Chappas
12-20-2007, 11:33 AM

And happy holidays to you too!

It's ironic that you mention priorities and suggest that the poster "get a life" while posting anonymously on a sports message board that "Rome burns while Nero plays his fiddle and we continue to idolize gladiators." Pot, meet kettle.

Perhaps you should focus more on something called "perspective." A couple Sox took time out to bring a little joy to KIDS. What that has to do with their salaries, I'm not sure, but try looking at it objectively without bringing to bare your own bitterness and petty jealousies.

SI1020
12-27-2007, 11:15 AM
As of now I see a team every bit as bad as the one last year. I'm trying to arrange a trip to Tucson sometime in March. If I can swing it, maybe I'll see some things that will change my mind. I'm not ever capable of being objective about the White Sox, but if I was, I'd see a team that needs several years of overhaul before seriously contending again. If KW admitted as much, and then applied the major part of his time, energy, and talent into rebuilding a sorry farm system, I would fully support him.

balke
12-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Reasons I'm happy:

One of the best left handed hitters in baseball is at DH. One of the best 1Bman in baseball is hitting behind him, and due for a full year of hitting instead of his half season crap. Jermaine Dye is still here and still can hit with those two guys.

Catcher is strong.
The infield is deep.
Buehrle is back.
Closer is sured up.
Bullpen looks potentially stronger.
Javier looked great last season, and might repeat when it counts.
Erstad is gone.
There's new faces with potential with Quentin and Ramirez.

I'm pretty happy going into next season. I'd be upset if Hunter was getting 18 mil to GIDP as much as Paulie. I have a feeling CF won't be what Sox fans are worried about in May. New problems come up all the time.

kitekrazy
12-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Reasons I'm happy:

One of the best left handed hitters in baseball is at DH. One of the best 1Bman in baseball is hitting behind him, and due for a full year of hitting instead of his half season crap. Jermaine Dye is still here and still can hit with those two guys.

Catcher is strong.
The infield is deep.
Buehrle is back.
Closer is sured up.
Bullpen looks potentially stronger.
Javier looked great last season, and might repeat when it counts.
Erstad is gone.
There's new faces with potential with Quentin and Ramirez.

I'm pretty happy going into next season. I'd be upset if Hunter was getting 18 mil to GIDP as much as Paulie. I have a feeling CF won't be what Sox fans are worried about in May. New problems come up all the time.

I was happy they didn't waste $10M+ on a player from Japan that has not played one MLB game.

Grzegorz
12-30-2007, 06:11 AM
I have a feeling CF won't be what Sox fans are worried about in May. New problems come up all the time.

I am cautiously optimistic on the 2008 season and I look forward to KW rounding the team into shape for spring training. I too have a feeling that by years end CF will not be the Achilles’ heel of this team.

Frontman
12-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Wow. Just wow. I waited this long to respond as I wanted to give you a post worthy of it, but my first few drafts probably would of earned me a ban over the holidays.

Look, just because you think so little of being nice to kids; it amazes me that you'd be a fan of baseball.

Baseball is a part of Americana. Its a part of our Nation's very soul. We've had baseball for over a century, and while many players have been jerks, it makes me happy to see OUR Sox giving back and being involved. In an era where most players can't be bothered with the city they play for during the off-season, I think its just absolutely cool the Jenks and Thome make their homes here and are involved year round.

You say they should teach motivation, passion, and focus?

I think by passing out hotdogs and being kind to some kids who could use it they most definately taught some passion. Passion for one's fellow man.

Focus? I'd rather see a man focus on helping others, and in turn setting an example for those kids to follow. That no matter what you have, where you come from, that you can not lose focus of caring for others.

Motivation? That anyone from any walk of life can aspire to do better is a pretty important lesson. It's a lesson we call can learn from, and every person; not matter if they do this for a living:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/37835-35038/Thome_500_V1.jpg

or this for a living:

http://pups.postaluniforms.net/images/letter_carrier.jpg

They can give back and help those less fortunate. Seeing our players giving back to the needy of Chicago will always bring a smile to my face. It's not always about championships.

Sometimes the greatest victory is when you bring a smile to a kids face.

Happy Holidays to you.

hi im skot
12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Great post, Front.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/tom_verducci/09/18/thome.hof/t1_jim_thome.jpg

Heffalump
12-31-2007, 10:54 AM
While I am not super excited about our team when compared to Cleveland and Detroit, I too am not as down as some other crazies here (read: sluggersaway).

while most are focused on our lineup and centerfield, my main concerns are our starting staff and bullpen. Konerko and Dye had down years, I expect them to bounce back. Thome was injured off and on all year, I epxect Ozzie to use him a bit smarter this year to preserve his health. We should have Fields and/or Crede at 3B all year. Cabrera is an upgrade at SS with the glove and the bat. So I am not worried about our hitting as much as the pitching.

Buehrle and Vasquez should be solid. Hopefully Contreras will bounce back from all his personal problems last year (divorce, etc.), Danks and Floyd are the huge questions marks here. If we can get 12 wins from each of them, I would be extremely happy.

Then there is the bullpen. Bobby is solid. Linebrink should be solid. The rest is a crapshoot that will hopefully recover from probably the worst season you could possibly have.

Finally, we could get a big upside surprise from guys like Quentin, Ramirez, and/or Owens.

Overall, I am hoping that KW has a few more moves up his sleeve, but nevertheless, I am excited for baseball to return in 2008!!

Happy New Year!!

Save McCuddy's
12-31-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm happy -- we're back in a position where no one expects us to win when we actually have enough talent to be dangerous.

Let the if parade begin:

if Thome can stay healthy, if Contreras returns to form, if Ozzie refrains from sending the bunt sign to anyone other than Owens or Richar, if Gio comes up by July, if Thornton rebounds ....

PaleHoseGeorge
12-31-2007, 12:13 PM

The good news is we're all settled at DH.

The bad news is we're now on Plan 1Q for finally fixing the hole left open in center field after trading for Thome 2 years ago.

Enjoy your new year, fquaye.

:wink:

fquaye149
12-31-2007, 12:37 PM
The good news is we're all settled at DH.

The bad news is we're now on Plan 1Q for finally fixing the hole left open in center field after trading for Thome 2 years ago.

Enjoy your new year, fquaye.

:wink:

BOVA!:angry::angry::angry:

:redneck

PennStater98r
12-31-2007, 03:38 PM

I think Slugger must have had a severe accident with a hot dog while watching Jim Rome talk about Britney Spears. Given the use of four letter words above, I'd guess that accident had something to do with <bleep> in the <bleep>. Just a guess though. Oh, and I'll bet that Britney Spears delivered the... hot dog...