PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi to the O's? O's and Cubs on the verge of a deal involving Brian Roberts.

It's Time
12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Looks like Brian Roberts could be heading to the Cubs for Rich Hill or Sean Gallagher.

The talk are serious enough where MacPhail has gotten in touch with Tad's agent, Rocky Hall.

This great off season just keeps getting better and better.:rolleyes:

If the Cubs land Roberts and Fukadome? Well, ****!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-roberts1205,0,2777882.story

SoxSpeed22
12-05-2007, 10:22 PM
If this happens, then would DeRosa make a good utility-man here?

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 10:23 PM
RF I would assume. If they sign Fukodome he would play CF if not Pie gets an everyday opportunity.

It's Time
12-05-2007, 10:24 PM

I would love to have Derosa. Man, Derosa would have to be trade bait if they make this deal. IF IF IF the Cubs sign Fukadome and IF IF IF they make the deal for Roberts, DeRosa has no where to play.

Kenny, are you ****ing listening??

It's Time
12-05-2007, 10:26 PM
RF I would assume. If they sign Fukodome he would play CF if not Pie gets an everyday opportunity.

Derosa in CF?? :redneck I don't see that happening. Something tells me the Cubs might move him for a pitcher.

Why do I feel the Cubs are about to rob the Orioles? :whiner:

getonbckthr
I would love to have Derosa. Man, Derosa would have to be trade bait if they make this deal. IF IF IF the Cubs sign Fukadome and IF IF IF they make the deal for Roberts, DeRosa has no where to play.

Kenny, are you ****ing listening??
what would stop the Cubs from trading Pie? Hell Pie, Patterson, Marshall and Marmol for Santana? Then Minnesota gets a big package for Nathan.

getonbckthr
Derosa in CF?? :redneck I don't see that happening. Something tells me the Cubs might move him for a pitcher.

Why do I feel the Cubs are about to rob the Orioles? :whiner:
Fukodome in CF, Derosa in RF

oeo
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Hill or Gallagher for Roberts, straight up? :?: If that's the rumored deal, I doubt it.

If it did go through, why does everyone like Rich Hill so much? People act as if he's some 20-year-old stud. He's in his upper-20s and just broke into the league in 2007 (with an okay year in the league's worst division). That doesn't sound like anything special to me.

cbrownson13
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I've been hoping all along KW would make a move for Roberts. It would solve the leadoff problem and lets Richar learn under him. I just think it is way too soon in Richar's career for the Sox to assume that he can be a productive everyday player. Unless they are going through a rebuilding stage. Then by all means, play Richar. But Kenny still acts like he wants to contend this year. Which is fine, but not with this current roster.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Hill or Gallagher for Roberts, straight up? :?: If that's the rumored deal, I doubt it.

If it did go through, why does everyone like Rich HIll so much. People act as if he's some 20-year-old stud. He's in his upper-20s and just broke into the league in 2007. That doesn't sound like anything special to me.
It would be Hill + Gallagher or Marshall. I myself am not impressed with Hill however many "baseball people" view him like a younger Barry Zito. Why I don't know.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I've been hoping all along KW would make a move for Roberts. It would solve the leadoff problem and lets Richar learn under him. I just think it is way too soon in Richar's career for the Sox to assume that he can be a productive everyday player. Unless they are going through a rebuilding stage. Then by all means, play Richar. But Kenny still acts like he wants to contend this year. Which is fine, but not with this current roster.
And you give solid prospects from the very little you have and remain a 3rd place team with the Roberts addition.

It's Time
12-05-2007, 10:40 PM

If it did go through, why does everyone like Rich HIll so much. People act as if he's some 20-year-old stud. He's in his upper-20s and just broke into the league in 2007. That doesn't sound like anything special to me.

Well, the source says it's a 3 player deal that is on the table. I would think the Cubs are probably offering up a minor league player as well.

And these are the O's.:rolleyes:

PalehosePlanet
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
This would make Marshall their #3, Marquis their #4 and Dempster their #5??? Ugh! Maybe they're planning to pick up an FA to help out.

KRS1
12-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Roberts would be a great addition to our team...........if he can play CF. :tongue:

valkyrie
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh please no. Tadaguchi needs to come to the Rockies. His agent met with the Rockies yesterday, but they're not in his top 3? That's a bummer.

champagne030
12-05-2007, 11:11 PM
what would stop the Cubs from trading Pie? Hell Pie, Patterson, Marshall and Marmol for Santana?

Hendry, while a dumbass, probably doesn't have the balls to insult the Twinkies with that offer for Santana.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-05-2007, 11:19 PM
We need Roberts for the Sox. KW, give them what they want. Roberts and Orlando in the 1 and 2 holes would be amazing....

AJ Hellraiser
12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
We need Roberts for the Sox. KW, give them what they want. Roberts and Orlando in the 1 and 2 holes would be amazing....

I completely agree.... and then he can sign almost anyone else for the outfield or starting rotation.....

But, I am bracing to be disappointed by KW yet again....:angry::angry::angry:

JB98
12-05-2007, 11:28 PM

I'd like to get Roberts too, but I think the Sox have every intention of giving Richar the job.

oeo
12-05-2007, 11:41 PM
There are very few guys I would want the Sox to trade away their future for. Brian Roberts isn't one of them. Miguel Cabrera was...now that he's gone, I doubt there's one guy on the market right now that I would want to trade away any minor league talent for.

We should be getting young talent right now, not trading it away.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-05-2007, 11:41 PM
I'd like to get Roberts too, but I think the Sox have every intention of giving Richar the job.

Only to watch him get replaced by mid-season. Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, Brian Anderson.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
There are very few guys I would want the Sox to trade away their future for. Brian Roberts isn't one of them. Miguel Cabrera was...now that he's gone, I doubt there's one guy on the market right now that I would want to trade away any minor league talent for.

and we have no one to trade that will get you young talent.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-05-2007, 11:44 PM
ESPN is reporting that Hendry is saying that Rich Hill is not on the table as part of the Roberts trade.

Furthermore, they say:

When teams bring up Rich Hill's name in trade talks with the Cubs, general manager Jim Hendry counters with Jason Marquis. Hendry has made it known that he's not going to move Hill or center fielder Felix Pie unless he receives an offer that blows him away.

It's Time
12-05-2007, 11:45 PM
There are very few guys I would want the Sox to trade away their future for.

Where is this future you speak of? The same future that was not enough to get a guy like MC?

oeo
12-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Where is this future you speak of? The same future that was not enough to get a guy like MC?

Good one.

So would you like an even further depleted minor league system? :rolleyes:

oeo
12-05-2007, 11:47 PM
and we have no one to trade that will get you young talent.

We don't? :?: I must have missed when we lost our entire roster.

We do have it. It's just a matter of giving it up and going through a rebuilding process. Most of you don't want to do that, though.

It's Time
12-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Good one.

So would you like an even further depleted minor league system? :rolleyes:

No. But you are saying you don't want to give up the future, to which I replied: "What future (players) do you not wan't dealt"?

oeo
12-05-2007, 11:53 PM
No. But you are saying you don't want to give up the future, to which I replied: "What future (players) do you not wan't dealt"?

None of them. Don't deal anyone.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-05-2007, 11:54 PM

We do have it. It's just a matter of giving it up and going through a rebuilding process. Most of you don't want to do that, though.

We have 3 players that could get you some young talent and I'm not moving them. Paulie, Javy, and Jenks are those 3 and I don't and wouldn't move them. So let's see:

Dye? No.
Mark B? Slightly but not with his contract.
AJ? No.
Cabrara? Possibly but we just got him and is a pending FA.
Count? No.
Our pen minus Jenks? No.

Shall I continue?

JB98
12-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Only to watch him get replaced by mid-season. Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, Brian Anderson.

Well, I hope that doesn't happen. I like Richar's approach at the plate much better than Anderson's, but of course, it is all about results.

Right now, I'd like to find a leadoff hitter, regardless of what position the guy plays. Doesn't need to be a CF.

JB98
12-05-2007, 11:57 PM

The Sox don't have any intention of doing that, so it doesn't make much sense to talk about it. The minute the ink was dry on the extensions for Buerhle, Dye and AJ, they decided to make another run or two with this core veteran group. I don't think it makes sense to abort the mission now, and certainly that's not what is going to take place.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Well, I hope that doesn't happen. I like Richar's approach at the plate much better than Anderson's, but of course, it is all about results.

Right now, I'd like to find a leadoff hitter, regardless of what position the guy plays. Doesn't need to be a CF.

I would love to be wrong but I just don't have high hopes for Richar.

It's Time
Good grief. Buster Olney just said that the Fukudome deal is going to get going big time after midnight (Levine said the same thing). He says the Cubs have the best offer on the table, with the Padres being second.

Back to the possible Roberts deal. If you insert him into the leadoff spot ahead of OC, then you have some table setters. Roberts can steal 50 plus bases and is a far better player then Pods is/was.

Oh, wait, KW has no intention of making a deal for him.

oeo
We have 3 players that could get you some young talent and I'm not moving them. Paulie, Javy, and Jenks are those 3 and I don't and wouldn't move them. So let's see:

Dye? No.
Mark B? Slightly but not with his contract.
AJ? No.
Cabrara? Possibly but we just got him and is a pending FA.
Count? No.
Our pen minus Jenks? No.

Shall I continue?

Yes, continue because you've been completely wrong with each one of those listed above (except Contreras).

Dye- yes...did you just see the contract Jose Guillen got? Power hitting outfielders are tough to find in this market.

Buehrle- definitely...although I don't remember how his no trade clause works right now.

AJ- do you know how many teams are without a catcher right now?

Cabrera- yes...there are still teams looking for a SS.

Jenks- the whole point is to rebuild...who cares how ****ty our bullpen is. Worry about how good the bullpen is in a few years when we're ready to compete.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Yes, continue because you've been completely wrong with each one of those listed above (except Contreras).

Dye- yes...did you just see the contract Jose Guillen got? Power hitting outfielders are tough to find in this market.

Buehrle- definitely...although I don't remember how his no trade clause works right now.

AJ- do you know how many teams are without a catcher right now?

Cabrera- yes...there are still teams looking for a SS.

Jenks- the whole point is to rebuild...who cares how ****ty our bullpen is. Worry about how good the bullpen is in a few years when we're ready to compete.

You will not get any blue chip prospects with any other those players. And you need blue chipers to rebuild. I'm not trading Jenks and if KW could of gotten anything for Dye or MB last season, they wouldn't be on this team right now. And most teams will not overpay for free agents to be like Cabrera. AJ right now is average at best, especially coming off a down year at the plate.

Domeshot17
12-06-2007, 12:08 AM
(Insert qoute of Kenny Babbling how Fukudome and Roberts will cost him 2 dollars and 18 cents and he only has a nickel 3 quarters and 2 pieces of bubble gum in his pocket here)

JB98
12-06-2007, 12:14 AM
(Insert qoute of Kenny Babbling how Fukudome and Roberts will cost him 2 dollars and 18 cents and he only has a nickel 3 quarters and 2 pieces of bubble gum in his pocket here)

LOL.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-06-2007, 12:14 AM

what kind of gum are we talking about here?

oeo
12-06-2007, 12:22 AM
The Sox don't have any intention of doing that, so it doesn't make much sense to talk about it. The minute the ink was dry on the extensions for Buerhle, Dye and AJ, they decided to make another run or two with this core veteran group. I don't think it makes sense to abort the mission now, and certainly that's not what is going to take place.

Sure it does.

I don't want everyone to go, but most of the 'core' needs to go. For once we need to sell high on guys like Vazquez and Konerko.

I was all for going for it all last year at midseason...I'm ready to change directions, now, though. It's not time to further deplete our farm system, that's for sure.

Tragg
12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
If the Sox want to rebuild, there's no reason that they have to do it by dumping doggie. Winning 60-70 games a year will not help rebuild squat.

What I would do is first, maintain a .500 team, in order to ensure interest and to maintain revenues. Second avoid trades like the Richar trade or the Quinten trade; actually take the Az side on some of those trades, dumping some AAA pitchers for more A and AA players. (for the Sox, who aren't dumping, I like those trades; but if we were dumping, I wouldn't). Don't sign FA that cost draft picks (LInebrink). They might selectively dump a few veterans IF they would bring young talent in. (But honestly, very few do that.) Be extremely alert in June and July, paying particular attention to dumping bullpen pitchers, which are typically overpriced at that time.

JB98
12-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Sure it does.

I don't want everyone to go, but most of the 'core' needs to go. For once we need to sell high on guys like Vazquez and Konerko.

I was all for going for it all last year at midseason...I'm ready to change directions, now, though. It's not time to further deplete our farm system, that's for sure.

Konerko hit .259 last year. He hit .313 in 2006. Why would trading him now be selling high? He's coming off his worst year, other than 2003. Paul value might be higher in July. If we're 10 games under .500 then, see what you can get.

Vazquez's value is high right now, but do we want to rush all the young pitchers to the bigs? Someone has to take those 200 innings. Hell, we're going to have a hard enough time finding someone to take Garland's 200 innings.

WhiteSox5187
12-06-2007, 12:28 AM
It's only December...it's only December...it's only December...GOD DAMMIT KENNY, DO SOMETHING!!!!

Tragg
12-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Vazquez's value is high right now, but do we want to rush all the young pitchers to the bigs? Someone has to take those 200 innings. Hell, we're going to have a hard enough time finding someone to take Garland's 200 innings.

Vazquez' value is going to double by July and or this time next year, if he repeats last year and shows it wasn't a fluke or a no-pressure meaningless pitching. A repeat will put him close to the elite category.

I wouldn't trade him now even if I did want to backtrack and regroup for 09 or 10. I'd take the chance and wait until July or next December to deal him.

thomas35forever
12-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Good grief. Buster Olney just said that the Fukudome deal is going to get going big time after midnight (Levine said the same thing). He says the Cubs have the best offer on the table, with the Padres being second.

Back to the possible Roberts deal. If you insert him into the leadoff spot ahead of OC, then you have some table setters. Roberts can steal 50 plus bases and is a far better player then Pods is/was.

Sad, but most likely true. I would love to have Roberts batting leadoff for us. He had a great year in '05, which proved he belongs on the ML level. I have a feeling WSI will crash if Roberts goes to the Cubs.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 12:38 AM

I'd love Roberts too, but hasn't he had some injury problems in the past? I don't recall how serious or how often, but I thought I remembered him being injured more than once the past few years.

oeo
12-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Konerko hit .259 last year. He hit .313 in 2006. Why would trading him now be selling high? He's coming off his worst year, other than 2003. Paul value might be higher in July. If we're 10 games under .500 then, see what you can get.

Value is not all in statistics. Not only do most teams realize that it was just a bad year, he still has 3 years left on his contract at a fairly reasonable price (in this market, it's almost a bargain).

Again, it's a rebuilding effort. Give the kids the time to develop at the big league level, who cares where we finish at?

JB98
12-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Value is not all in statistics. Not only do most teams realize that it was just a bad year, he still has 3 years left on his contract at a fairly reasonable price (in this market, it's almost a bargain).

Again, it's a rebuilding effort. Give the kids the time to develop at the big league level, who cares where we finish at?

The finish in the standings is beside the point. You don't just "bring up the kids." You bring up those that are ready, and I don't think we have too many of those. Danks and Floyd, yeah, OK. They are ready to learn at the big-league level. Guess what? They're already in the rotation. I'm not sure we have anybody else.

The Immigrant
12-06-2007, 07:43 AM
What's more comical: the fact that Hendry is targeting yet another second baseman, or that Andy the Clown is looking to trade young players signed to reasonable contracts?

It's a close call, but Andy the Clown should win this one.

chefra
12-06-2007, 08:51 AM
This is my first post. So be nice:smile:. I fully believe that JR has won his World Series and really doesn't care when he wins his next. The Sox have the money to go out and get ***, I also believe that Bay should still be in the equation but he won't be for the above stated reason. The dumbest thing that this organization did was to tell the public that they had a plan, then leaked out what that plan was and in turn really pissed of Sox fans when those plans fell through. I keep logging on and off just to see who the next player the Sox missed out on. If my first statement really isn't true then KW needs to keep his big ****ing mouth shut about who he is working on getting. I know I have bounced back and fourth on a few subjects so let this Rookie have it:redface:

chefra
12-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Sorry the *** was Fukodome:rolleyes:

alohafri
12-06-2007, 09:19 AM

How many utility guys do we need? I want guys who can start in ONE position.

DickAllen72
12-06-2007, 05:21 PM

What if, and this is just hypothetical of course, the Orioles would trade Roberts and Bedard for Konerko, Richar and one of Gio/Danks/Floyd/Broadway? Would you do it? I would.

guillen4life13
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
This is my first post. So be nice:smile:. I fully believe that JR has won his World Series and really doesn't care when he wins his next. The Sox have the money to go out and get ***, I also believe that Bay should still be in the equation but he won't be for the above stated reason. The dumbest thing that this organization did was to tell the public that they had a plan, then leaked out what that plan was and in turn really pissed of Sox fans when those plans fell through. I keep logging on and off just to see who the next player the Sox missed out on. If my first statement really isn't true then KW needs to keep his big ****ing mouth shut about who he is working on getting. I know I have bounced back and fourth on a few subjects so let this Rookie have it:redface:

Welcome aboard!

I disagree with most of what you've said. I think JR cares. If he didn't, the White Sox wouldn't have had the highest payroll in our division and a higher payroll than the Angels last year. I don't know if Kenny intended for us to know as much as we know now and a lot of this has come from second and third party sources.

But yeah, the guy could use good dose of shut the **** up.

getonbckthr
12-06-2007, 05:58 PM
What if, and this is just hypothetical of course, the Orioles would trade Roberts and Bedard for Konerko, Richar and one of Gio/Danks/Floyd/Broadway? Would you do it? I would.
I might. But would you attempt to make a Tigers-Marlins type deal to get Tejada and Bedard? Move Tejada to 3rd and try a Crede for Pierre deal?

DickAllen72
12-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I might. But would you attempt to make a Tigers-Marlins type deal to get Tejada and Bedard? Move Tejada to 3rd and try a Crede for Pierre deal?
Honestly I think I'd rather have Roberts over Tejada and let Fields stay at 3rd. I don't want any part of Pierre.

getonbckthr
12-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Honestly I think I'd rather have Roberts over Tejada and let Fields stay at 3rd. I don't want any part of Pierre.
Truthfully neither do I but i'm just trying to figure out anything for this team to do to compete. IDK a lineup of:
Pierre-CF, Cabrera-SS, Tejada-3B, Thome -DH. Konerko-1B, DYe-RF, AJ-C, Quentin-LF, Richar-2B
I really don't know anymore. The more I think about it the more I believe in my original thoughts yesterday.

Dan the Man
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
But yeah, the guy could use good dose of shut the **** up.
http://www.destinationhollywood.com/celebrities/benstiller/images/benstiller_happygilmore_06.jpg
How bout a warm glass of shut the hell up?

JB98
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM

I agree with that on all counts. I just don't think the Sox are going to deal with Baltimore because they want to give Richar his shot.

getonbckthr
12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I agree with that on all counts. I just don't think the Sox are going to deal with Baltimore because they want to give Richar his shot.
As they should. Truly is the difference of Roberts and Richar = catching up to Detroit?

DickAllen72
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
As they should. Truly is the difference of Roberts and Richar = catching up to Detroit?
No, but if you add Fukudome and a pitcher, it just might.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 06:19 PM

I would just because according to your proposal, your putting Gio/Danks/Broadway/Floyd on the same level that they get to choose from. I'm pretty sure 10 people out of 10 would give up Floyd to get Bedard. Fields can slide to 1B, Crede at 3B, Roberts at 2B. I'd give it some serious consideration.

JB98
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM

It's a clear upgrade, but it wouldn't catch us up to Detroit. If the deal expands to include Bedard, then we're talking.

guillen4life13
12-06-2007, 06:34 PM

It wouldn't be my ideal transaction. Bedard has been a respectable pitcher but has never pitched over 200 innings in a season and is already 29 this coming season. Nutshell: he's an older, less durable, less established pitcher than Buehrle and will be looking for an extension worth a bit more than the discount MB gave KW.

I think Danks is going to turn a lot of heads this coming season, and Floyd may do the same, though they're both still unproven and therefore question marks. One year older and for the first half of last season, Danks held his own. I think Gio is one year away from the show, and if Jose falters again, I think it's very likely that the rotation we see in 2008 will be the "rotation of the future" with Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Floyd and Gio. I'm actually very excited about it!

Out of the pitchers you've listed, the only one I'd deal is Broadway.

Richar is about five years younger than Roberts, cheaper and if his minor league track record means anything, he could be a regular ~.290/.350 hitter with a little pop in his bat given a little time.

So the way I'd break up your proposed deal is, more or less:
1) Richar+young SP for Bedard
2) Konerko for Roberts.

I'd do neither. The only four leadoff hitters in the MLB that I'd trade Paulie for straight up are Sizemore, Crawford, Ichiro and Figgins. Figgins would probably be the only realistic deal.

A. Cavatica
12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Bedard is worth Konerko and a good pitching prospect. Roberts is worth a lot more than Richar. That combination's not a realistic offer.

Hokiesox
12-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Bedard is worth Konerko and a good pitching prospect. Roberts is worth a lot more than Richar. That combination's not a realistic offer.

We're not talking about realism here. We're talking about a combination of Andy MacPhail, Peter Angelos, and WSI hot stove wisdom.

It could happen. We can dream of an altered reality.

HawkDJ
12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
The Orioles have asked the Dodgers for Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw and Andy LaRoche for Erik Bedard.

So basically, don't count on him coming to the Sox.

steely712
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM
How many 2nd baseman does that give them?

FedEx227
12-07-2007, 11:38 PM

They actually traded about 9 of their 15 in the past couple of weeks. So they definitely could use about 5-6 more.

Grzegorz
12-08-2007, 07:20 AM

One; his name would be Brian Roberts....

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 09:39 AM
The Orioles have asked the Dodgers for Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw and Andy LaRoche for Erik Bedard.

So basically, don't count on him coming to the Sox.

No, you're right, the only way Bedard comes to the Sox is if Konerko is in the equation. The Orioles do not have a legit 1B and were after PK when he was a FA. It would probably take Konerko, Uribe or Richar, and a top notch prospect (hopefully not Gio) to land both Roberts and Bedard.

I know most everyone here at WSI has an Angels obsession, but there are other teams that definetly need PK.

Personally, I do not want to trade PK, but if it made us better and if it wasn't for a freakin' midget 4th OF (Reggie Willits) and a failed prospect whom the Angels have been dangling --- with ZERO takers --- for two years (Ervin Santana), I'd be all for it.

The Thomenator
12-08-2007, 11:51 AM
No, you're right, the only way Bedard comes to the Sox is if Konerko is in the equation. The Orioles do not have a legit 1B and were after PK when he was a FA. It would probably take Konerko, Uribe or Richar, and a top notch prospect (hopefully not Gio) to land both Roberts and Bedard.

I know most everyone here at WSI has an Angels obsession, but there are other teams that definetly need PK.

Personally, I do not want to trade PK, but if it made us better and if it wasn't for a freakin' midget 4th OF (Reggie Willits) and a failed prospect whom the Angels have been dangling --- with ZERO takers --- for two years (Ervin Santana), I'd be all for it. I am absolutely all over the idea of landing both Bedard and Roberts, almost at nearly any cost. Brian Roberts is exactly what the Sox need offensively and Bedard is exactly what they need on the hill. If Kenny is serious about his claim to play for today, I highly doubt he plans on having 3 question marks in a staff.....absolutely no chance. Granted, he may get outbid from time to time on a free agent, but what GM not from Boston or NY has that not happen to them. He's not dumb.

He must know this: we need a damn leadoff hitter and we need to fill out an acceptable rotation

We (and he) must all know this: To even ponder trading for these two, we'd have to offer them a package of at least 2 of Crede, Konerko, Fields, and Gio. To ice it, we'd have to give them an option of Richar or Uribe (I'm sure they's prefer Richar)to fill their hole at 2nd as well as 1 or two of Danks, Floyd, Broadway, McCullough. The luxury of having 3 guys for 2 corner IF spots is what makes this so ideal. You can lose a Fields because you keep a golve of Crede and a bat of Konerko.

Roberts, Cabrera, and Thome would provide an outstanding 1-3 and this mix of offensive talent could be compared to any in baseball (and yes, I just said that) in those order slots. A middle of the order surrounded by Dye, Fields/Konerko, and Outfielder X (Rowand, Fukudome?)would make an excellent 4-6, with a Pierzynski, Crede/Fields, Quinten/Owens/Anderson could finalize a balanced lineup quite well with at least 1 above average young defensive outfielder (Quinten/Anderson) and 1 hell of a utility infileder in Uribe coming off of the bench. I am salivating at the idea of Owens beating out the other two and batting 9th in front of a Brian Roberts. They could compete to see who steals 50 bases first as the year goes on. On the other side of the coin, if Owens would get beat out by Quinten or Anderson it would just mean they are experiencing some sweet salvation to promising minor league careers. I'll take either.

I would certainly accept the challenge of any of the AL Central's top 3 of rotations vs. a Bedard, Vasquez, and Buehrle and yes, that includes the Red Sox and Tigers. Finished off with 2 of a Contreras (who has a chance of rebounding), Broadway, Floyd, or Danks closes out a rotation that can compete and win any night with the line-up I previously mentioned.

I know I am relatively new to this board, but the GM and fans of this team need to act like the Chicagoans that we are. Instead of whining about the halve-nots, we need to notice the obvious possibilities to improve this team like I just mentioned above. Rather than swaying to and fro on the thoughts of a future on this team, we need to realize that it is quite bleak, so we might as well get what we can for the prospects that we do have, and start drafting intelligently from here on out: Draft the best player. Pay him. It's simple as that.

I apoligize if I highjacked this thread. The writing's on the wall. We as fans and the Sox as an organization need to just read it.

thedudeabides
12-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I am absolutely all over the idea of landing both Bedard and Roberts, almost at nearly any cost. Brian Roberts is exactly what the Sox need offensively and Bedard is exactly what they need on the hill. If Kenny is serious about his claim to play for today, I highly doubt he plans on having 3 question marks in a staff.....absolutely no chance. Granted, he may get outbid from time to time on a free agent, but what GM not from Boston or NY has that not happen to them. He's not dumb.

He must know this: we need a damn leadoff hitter and we need to fill out an acceptable rotation

We (and he) must all know this: To even ponder trading for these two, we'd have to offer them a package of at least 2 of Crede, Konerko, Fields, and Gio. To ice it, we'd have to give them an option of Richar or Uribe (I'm sure they's prefer Richar)to fill their hole at 2nd as well as 1 or two of Danks, Floyd, Broadway, McCullough. The luxury of having 3 guys for 2 corner IF spots is what makes this so ideal. You can lose a Fields because you keep a golve of Crede and a bat of Konerko.

Roberts, Cabrera, and Thome would provide an outstanding 1-3 and this mix of offensive talent could be compared to any in baseball (and yes, I just said that) in those order slots. A middle of the order surrounded by Dye, Fields/Konerko, and Outfielder X (Rowand, Fukudome?)would make an excellent 4-6, with a Pierzynski, Crede/Fields, Quinten/Owens/Anderson could finalize a balanced lineup quite well with at least 1 above average young defensive outfielder (Quinten/Anderson) and 1 hell of a utility infileder in Uribe coming off of the bench. I am salivating at the idea of Owens beating out the other two and batting 9th in front of a Brian Roberts. They could compete to see who steals 50 bases first as the year goes on. On the other side of the coin, if Owens would get beat out by Quinten or Anderson it would just mean they are experiencing some sweet salvation to promising minor league careers. I'll take either.

I would certainly accept the challenge of any of the AL Central's top 3 of rotations vs. a Bedard, Vasquez, and Buehrle and yes, that includes the Red Sox and Tigers. Finished off with 2 of a Contreras (who has a chance of rebounding), Broadway, Floyd, or Danks closes out a rotation that can compete and win any night with the line-up I previously mentioned.

I know I am relatively new to this board, but the GM and fans of this team need to act like the Chicagoans that we are. Instead of whining about the halve-nots, we need to notice the obvious possibilities to improve this team like I just mentioned above. Rather than swaying to and fro on the thoughts of a future on this team, we need to realize that it is quite bleak, so we might as well get what we can for the prospects that we do have, and start drafting intelligently from here on out: Draft the best player. Pay him. It's simple as that.

I apoligize if I highjacked this thread. The writing's on the wall. We as fans and the Sox as an organization need to just read it.

If the O's trade Bedard and Roberts it will be for young, cheap talent. They are also shopping Tejada and Mora. Why would they want Konerko, Crede, and Uribe? Two of which are free agents next offseason. I understand you want to upgrade the current leadoff and rotation question marks, but it has to work for both teams.

The Thomenator
12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
If the O's trade Bedard and Roberts it will be for young, cheap talent. They are also shopping Tejada and Mora. Why would they want Konerko, Crede, and Uribe? Two of which are free agents next offseason. I understand you want to upgrade the current leadoff and rotation question marks, but it has to work for both teams.

In my opinion, Gio Gonzalez, Josh Fields, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, and Lane Broadway are both young and talented. Baltimore could have all of them for Bedard and Roberts IMO. Granted, it is nearly all the prospects we got. What better a way to start from scratch in the developmental stages of this organization. Two or three good drafts with the "draft the best player regardless" philosophy that I mentioned previously could get us a good farm system again relatively quickly