PDA

View Full Version : Sox contact Gonzo

Sockinchisox
12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
God I hope not, he's been done being a productive player for a couple years now.

• Clifton and partner Terry Bross said they've talked to Texas, Minnesota, San Francisco, Tampa Bay and the Chicago White Sox about Luis Gonzalez.http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings

Navarro's Talent
12-05-2007, 07:15 PM
He'd give us a ton of doubles, but I think the Sox would be better off spending the money elsewhere. Plus, the Sox need to get younger and this would not help matters.

btrain929
12-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Besides experience, I don't know what he'd bring to the table that Carlos Quentin couldn't....

Quentin has been known to be a doubles machine and to get on base at a pretty good clip. The only benefit to Gonzo is that he's left handed, and our team doesn't have many of them in our starting lineup as of right now.

I still say no go on Gonzo....

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 07:23 PM
If its a 1 year deal where he could maybe have a fluke 1/2 season so we could trade him for something, anything i'd be ok with it. A multi-year deal absolutely not.

FedEx227
12-05-2007, 07:43 PM
No more oldies. Especially not one who had 2-3 good vein-poppin' seasons.

santo=dorf
12-05-2007, 07:45 PM
The decent AVG and OBP (walks about as much as he strikes out) is there, but that SLG% is dipping big time. Perhaps we should wait for the Mitchell report.

BainesHOF
12-05-2007, 07:59 PM
If he can distribute his steriods to the rest of the team, I'm all for it.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 08:01 PM
If he can distribute his steriods to the rest of the team, I'm all for it.
So you want the Sox to cheat?:?:

rowand33
12-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I see the Sox are trying to become the Giants...

Let's trade Danks and sign David Wells!

JermaineDye05
12-05-2007, 08:11 PM
it doesn't necessarily say the sox contacted them. They could have contacted Kenny since they know we're looking for a left fielder/center fielder. Hopefully Kenny simply said he wasn't interested.

I really hope this is the case since Luis Gonzalez is just too old.

HebrewHammer
12-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm guessing this was done before we traded for Carlos Quentin.

It doesn't make much sense to make that trade and THEN call up Luis Gonzalez.

Slats
12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Please God no.

Domeshot17
12-05-2007, 08:58 PM
This years Grinder!!!!

Slowly but surely Grinder has change meanings, now it means Old Retread of a Player who had a few fluke years, probably juiced, and hasn't done squat in a while.

Last year was Erstad, this year Gonzo! Maybe if we sign him we can get Steve Finely to fill out hole in Center

thomas35forever
12-05-2007, 09:54 PM
We don't need another star past his prime. It's very likely he'll be named in the Mitchell Report anyway. Say no to Gonzo.

Jjav829
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Why? :?:

I sure hope the Sox "contacting" Gonzalez had absolutely nothing to do with him playing baseball for this team.

santo=dorf
12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
If he can distribute his steriods to the rest of the team, I'm all for it.I take it you would be pro-Barry Bonds playing in left for next year?

duke of dorwood
12-06-2007, 04:26 PM
We cant hit left handers, so look at another left hander-makes sense

Foulke You
12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Why? :?:

I sure hope the Sox "contacting" Gonzalez had absolutely nothing to do with him playing baseball for this team.
Actually, the quote implied that the agents for Luis Gonzalez contacted those listed teams, not the other way around. I imagine his agents contact any team that has an outfield position that needs filling. I would imagine that KW probably didn't have a lot of interest and who could blame him? Gonzo doesn't bring a whole lot to the table anymore.

Sockinchisox
12-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Actually, the quote implied that the agents for Luis Gonzalez contacted those listed teams, not the other way around. I imagine his agents contact any team that has an outfield position that needs filling. I would imagine that KW probably didn't have a lot of interest and who could blame him? Gonzo doesn't bring a whole lot to the table anymore.

It could be interpreted either way, the agent said he had talks with teams concerning Gonzo.

Foulke You
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
It could be interpreted either way, the agent said he had talks with teams concerning Gonzo.
I went back and read it again and you're right, I guess it could be interpreted either way. I just imagine that it had to be Gonzo's agent contacting the Sox. I don't see what role the guy could fill on our squad.:?:

TheVulture
12-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Take that Detroit!