PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to GM Kenny Williams

brumski
12-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Goose
12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Trade Konerko, trade Thome, trade Uribe, trade Crede, trade AJ, trade Dye, trade Buerhle, trade Contreras, trade Vazquez, trade Jenks, trade MacDoughal, even trade Cabrera...

Wow!

hi im skot
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Kenny,

Please let it be known that this open letter does not reflect the views of we rational folks, and therefore will not be signing the above letter.

Thanks,
-WSI

Over By There
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
We promise we will not grill you for it...

(snicker)

"New at WSI," indeed. :D:

cws05champ
12-05-2007, 12:23 PM
:moron

Did you all miss me?

nevr say dye sox
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree. We cannot fix it on the fly. No talent to trade , and no funds to bandage our gaping hole. BLOW IT UP!!!! Watch the Marlins will probably have more wins than us next year with an 8 mil payroll.

oeo
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree. We cannot fix it on the fly. No talent to trade , and no funds to bandage our gaping hole. BLOW IT UP!!!! Watch the Marlins will probably have more wins than us next year with an 8 mil payroll.

It's not even comparable considering the divisions each plays in.

hi im skot
12-05-2007, 12:41 PM

What happened to the "never say dye" Sox?

Buck up.

nevr say dye sox
12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
they dyed!:whiner:

DumpJerry
12-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow. This guy joins in May, 2005 and chooses today for his first post.

Maybe he was on a secret military mission for two and half years with no Internet connection.

nevr say dye sox
12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
if your referring to me, I think it says 140 posts.

hi im skot
12-05-2007, 01:36 PM
if your referring to me, I think it says 140 posts.

He's not.

Zisk77
12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Open letters suck, unless its "open letter to a landlord by living colour...then it rocks:Rocker::Rocker::Rocker::Rocker:

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Play me a tune....

:threadblows:

brumski
12-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Not looking for a rationalization of my post history as validation. That's just silly. Also, Im not looking to start anything. I just wanted my feelings to be vented. A longstanding championship run comes from a string nucleus of young talent surrounded by an infusion of veteran talent. I just dont think we have that mix right now. I could be dead wrong, but in my opinion, we are looking at a 90 loss / 4th place finish season with or without Aaron Rowand (even though Aaron would fit into the "help us in 3 seasons" bucket). So, we might as well make that a 110 loss season and stock our farm system. There isnt a veteran on our team that wouldnt waive a no-trade clause if we told them we were entering into a 3-year rebuilding phase... Its just thinking SMART and thinking AHEAD. Its time for Kenny to show that he can build something long-term...

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Kenny has been very busy today. No excuses for Monday or Tuesday.

http://hfeimages.aristotle.net/General/DW/DW_OpCalendar_2007.pdf

russ99
12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah, let's all quit watching baseball because the Royals signed Jose Guillen. teal?

Big whoop. The Tigers are better, so what. Cry running home to mommy.

That doesn't change anything about the White Sox and what they need to do to play better and have a chance to compete in 2008.

I and many other Sox fans won't keep my current ticket buying habits to see a Pirates/Royals type team play at Comiskey. I'd go back to my pre-2000 3-4 games a season if the Sox did a blow up and rebuild, white flag style.

thomas35forever
12-05-2007, 03:04 PM
This letter probably has the biggest liquidation plan I have ever read. Do we do it? Two simple words: HELL NO!

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
This letter probably has the biggest liquidation plan I have ever read. Do we do it? Two simple words: HELL NO!
Enjoy mediocrity.

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Enjoy mediocrity.

Because that asinine plan would do what? Cause us to suck and get high draft picks? Get some perspective...

spiffie
12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Because that asinine plan would do what? Cause us to suck and get high draft picks? Get some perspective...
As opposed to sucking a bit less and getting middle-round draft picks, which appears to be the course the team is on right now?

Frontman
12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Not looking for a rationalization of my post history as validation. That's just silly. Also, Im not looking to start anything. I just wanted my feelings to be vented. A longstanding championship run comes from a string nucleus of young talent surrounded by an infusion of veteran talent. I just dont think we have that mix right now. I could be dead wrong, but in my opinion, we are looking at a 90 loss / 4th place finish season with or without Aaron Rowand (even though Aaron would fit into the "help us in 3 seasons" bucket). So, we might as well make that a 110 loss season and stock our farm system. There isnt a veteran on our team that wouldnt waive a no-trade clause if we told them we were entering into a 3-year rebuilding phase... Its just thinking SMART and thinking AHEAD. Its time for Kenny to show that he can build something long-term...

So where you sitting tomorrow for the first game of the season?

Risk
12-05-2007, 03:31 PM
So let me get this straight. The Sox should trade most, if not all of their established players for prospects. Hasn't the problem been that the scouting and development has been subpar? So now the Sox are going to hinge their future on nothing but unestablished players and prospects. Weird idea.

For ****s sake. Some people seriously need to get a grip.

Risk

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 03:37 PM
As opposed to sucking a bit less and getting middle-round draft picks, which appears to be the course the team is on right now?

Draft picks are an absolute crap shoot as are prospects in general. I suggest a strategy of not sucking and getting low draft picks...

spiffie
12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Draft picks are an absolute crap shoot as are prospects in general. I suggest a strategy of not sucking and getting low draft picks...
That would be a great strategy. Sadly however the Sox seem to be dismissing the not sucking strategy as one that went out of date after the all-star break of 2006.

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 03:42 PM
That would be a great strategy. Sadly however the Sox seem to be dismissing the not sucking strategy as one that went out of date after the all-star break of 2006.

The sucking strategy seems closely tied to poor pitching IMO.

SoxGirl4Life
12-05-2007, 03:51 PM
So where you sitting tomorrow for the first game of the season?

Imagine... and WINTER hasn't even officially started yet..

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 03:54 PM

It's not a good plan, but if we did it, I would say we would have a better chance to have won a world championship sometime in the next 10 years than if we just stay the course.

I think the best course of action is to start building for 2009--

Look at what we have in Fields, Richar, the young crop of OF's we have, the young arms we've got...

Hopefully by the end of the season, at least 3 or 4 of them will give us reason to expect quality production in 09, then we can look and see what our holes are and fill them.

2008 is a very very very unlikely story for competing, but we clearly shouldn't throw in the towel. Maybe the kids can play. Trading our young talent like Jenks, Fields, and Danks for draft picks and even younger talent is probably not the answer for this team.

spiffie
12-05-2007, 03:55 PM
The sucking strategy seems closely tied to poor pitching IMO.
And how exactly did trading away a consistently better than average starter who gives you 200+ innings a year help with that strategy getting fixed?

brumski
12-05-2007, 03:56 PM

You are truly clueless. The point is not to get high draft picks, the point is to get solid low-to-mid-level talent. Draft picks are too much of a crapshoot. And, everyone has a perspective you nimwit, yours just happens to be muffled by the fact that you think you are special for some reason...

Nellie_Fox
12-05-2007, 03:59 PM
You are truly clueless. The point is not to get high draft picks, the point is to get solid low-to-mid-level talent. Draft picks are too much of a crapshoot. And, everyone has a perspective you nimwit, yours just happens to be muffled by the fact that you think you are special for some reason...Take three days to settle down. Argue with his argument, but we don't allow personal attacks and name calling.

A lot of people need to lower the rhetoric a notch or two. Just because you're mad at the Sox doesn't mean you need to take it out on other posters.

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 04:01 PM
You are truly clueless. The point is not to get high draft picks, the point is to get solid low-to-mid-level talent. Draft picks are too much of a crapshoot. And, everyone has a perspective you nimwit, yours just happens to be muffled by the fact that you think you are special for some reason...

Wow, I hope your next ID isn't quite so classless...

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 04:03 PM
And how exactly did trading away a consistently better than average starter who gives you 200+ innings a year help with that strategy getting fixed?

It didn't, I'm not pleased by that move even though I'm very excited about Cabrera. I just wish I had some sort of plan to land us one more starter and one more bullpen arm.

colles9
12-05-2007, 04:05 PM
How did everyone enjoy the first snow of the season??? I know Snow in April can you believe it???? Ok, back to reality... its Decemeber 5th.

There are a couple more days of the winter meetings, a few FA's still out there that can fill our holes... there is some stock in our minor league system that may net us some MLB ready players. JUST because the Tigers picked up D-Train and Miggy today is the end of the world? Yes, they got stronger no doubt about that... but we got stronger too in some aspects when we dropped Judy for a SS... didnt we? A lot of people blame a lot of the loses last season to the stellar clutch hitting of Juan or his errors during games (I for one thought that his error durning the Cubs series that extended the inning and cost us the win was a great play!) I wish for once people would just sit back relax and enjoy the ride... if things dont pan out I am sure there will be some changes in the front office staff. LIke I said its December 5th, enjoy the holiday season, play in the snow, do whatever you do but to jump ship this early is beyond me. (I get off my soap box now)

Mod edit: Enjoy the week off for using a female name as an insult.

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 04:05 PM
I think the best course of action is to start building for 2009--

If so, then this would not be the time to do it. Our biggest names are all coming off subpar years. It would be better to trade our veterans next summer, as I can't imagine they could get much worse.

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 04:11 PM
If so, then this would not be the time to do it. Our biggest names are all coming off subpar years. It would be better to trade our veterans next summer, as I can't imagine they could get much worse.

I don't want to sell out our vets.

I want to keep them with an eye on their viability for an 09 run.

i.e. keep Dye, for sure, but look at if he has a good year, will, say, Sweeney be able to replace him based on his playing time this year?

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 04:35 PM
i.e. keep Dye, for sure, but look at if he has a good year, will, say, Sweeney be able to replace him based on his playing time this year?

I don't think any youngster could replace Dye if he puts up numbers near his 2006 season. At that point in time, I'd be more concerned with the return in talent as opposed to who was going to fill in for him.

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't think any youngster could replace Dye if he puts up numbers near his 2006 season. At that point in time, I'd be more concerned with the return in talent as opposed to who was going to fill in for him.

I'm not saying to replace his production, but, for instance--if Dye produces like a madman in 08 and Sweeney shows he's a capable player, it might be worth considering shopping Dye for 09.

Konerko is another player who could up his stock in 08.

I definitely don't think we should PLAN on trading anyone unless the right deal comes along. When I say we should play this year to prepare for 09, I mean to give the rookies a chance to develop and give Kenny and Ozzie a chance to assess our needs for 09 based on who's capable of performing or not.

That means, as much as it may suck to watch, giving some minor league pitchers some SP opportunities when they're ready--that is, Giving Floyd a shot at an SP job, as brutal as he was at Phillie...

rgasser43
12-05-2007, 06:13 PM
DumpJerry (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=1723) http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_1739465", true);
Cleaning the restrooms
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/misc/im_icq.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95366#)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif

Maybe he was on a secret military mission for two and half years with no Internet connection.

Sometimes there are people that only speak when they have something to say. Some might learn from that advice. No need to criticize.

DumpJerry
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
DumpJerry (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=1723) http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_1739465", true);
Cleaning the restrooms
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/misc/im_icq.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95366#)

Sometimes there are people that only speak when they have something to say. Some might learn from that advice. No need to criticize.
When quoting a posting, click the "quote" button on the post you wish to quote.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Cleaning the restrooms

When quoting a posting, click the "quote" button on the post you wish to quote.
Possibly the funniest quoting i've seen here or hear.

Kidding.

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
That means, as much as it may suck to watch, giving some minor league pitchers some SP opportunities when they're ready--that is, Giving Floyd a shot at an SP job, as brutal as he was at Phillie...

I actually enjoy watching young players develop, even at the major league level. The other couple million Sox fans....well they might not enjoy that not so much.

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 09:33 PM
I actually enjoy watching young players develop, even at the major league level. The other couple million Sox fans....well they might not enjoy that not so much.

That's the problem with all these people on the board who are trying to convince themselves how possible it is to compete for a playoff spot in 08--it will be a tough pill to swallow when it becomes apparent that the shining bright spot of 08, looking back on it, will be the opportunity it gave (hopefully) future Sox superstars to develop

Kuzman
12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
As bad as this team will ever be, I'll still be purchasing my season tickets. Lost cause? Maybe, but who cares its the white sox we're talking about. If you're as big a fan, as many are here then just calm down and enjoy the ride. You have one life to live, you don't need to give yourself a brain hemorrhage over the game of baseball and our White Sox not looking good in December.

Now am I concerned that we'll be able to compete this upcoming season? A little, but I was also a little concerned in '05. Look what happened then. There's a lot of offseason left and the sky isn't falling. Maybe Kenny can still work some magic.

Also, credit to the mods during the offseason, it's gotta be rough.

Frontman
12-05-2007, 11:07 PM
That's the problem with all these people on the board who are trying to convince themselves how possible it is to compete for a playoff spot in 08--it will be a tough pill to swallow when it becomes apparent that the shining bright spot of 08, looking back on it, will be the opportunity it gave (hopefully) future Sox superstars to develop

Yep, because guys with little or no MLB experience could ever be a part of a playoff team.

:jenks:
"Iguchi, is he saying we had no business being on the 2005 squad?"

:iguchi:
"No, Bobby. He's saying we didn't contribute."

"Well, you didn't play in Game Four of the series. And I didn't lock down a save in Game Two. Maybe he's got a point."

"And if you would've struck that one guy out, I would never have had to do this:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/goochtheplay_1.jpg

"Dude, why do you bring that up every chance you get?"

"One, it was hela-cool. Two, the chicks dig a guy who can do things like that?"

"Really?"

"Er, no. Not really."

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Yep, because guys with little or no MLB experience could ever be a part of a playoff team.
"

Jesus Christ--your unfunny comedy routine aside, do you really mean to compare having a 2b with years of experience in Japanese professional ball and a relief pitcher who pitched in maybe 30 games all year (albeit many important one) with having as linchpins in our starting lineup (3B, 2B, probably either CF or LF) and at least one starting pitching spot and likely 3 bullpen spot YOUNG players with less than a full year of mlb experience?

Surely you can see the difference....

Frontman
12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Jesus Christ--your unfunny comedy routine aside, do you really mean to compare having a 2b with years of experience in Japanese professional ball and a relief pitcher who pitched in maybe 30 games all year (albeit many important one) with having as linchpins in our starting lineup (3B, 2B, probably either CF or LF) and at least one starting pitching spot and likely 3 bullpen spot YOUNG players with less than a full year of mlb experience?

Surely you can see the difference....

Jenks was in Designated for Assignment from Single A ball when brought over to the White Sox without ever logging a single inning in the majors. Surely you can see that he was vital to the Sox winning a championship. But by your comments, there is zero chance that a kid like Jenks would be able to make the transition to the majors and contribute and make a team competitive.

As far as Iguchi. The way the Japanese players are managed, play, and overall nature of the game is different than how its managed here in the U.S. So, yeah; as far as the "intangibles;" I considered Iguchi to be 'young' or better put, inexperienced, in how a MLB team would handle him.

I believe that in the first week of December 2007, with the Winter Meetings still going; and three full months until spring training to declare 2008 a wasted cause a bit of; shall we say, dramatic posturing? All because a player who has horrid mechanics and isn't as good as he was when he helped the Marlins win a World Championship goes to Detroit and an aging outfielder went somewhere FOR MORE MONEY didn't sign with the Sox?

For all the doom and gloom around here, I'd have to say the Sox fanbase ARE turning into the exact opposite of Cub fans. They believe that no matter what, their team will "win it all this year." The Sox fanbase is begining to believe that "this won't be the year."

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Jenks was in Designated for Assignment from Single A ball when brought over to the White Sox without ever logging a single inning in the majors. Surely you can see that he was vital to the Sox winning a championship. But by your comments, there is zero chance that a kid like Jenks would be able to make the transition to the majors and contribute and make a team competitive.

As far as Iguchi. The way the Japanese players are managed, play, and overall nature of the game is different than how its managed here in the U.S. So, yeah; as far as the "intangibles;" I considered Iguchi to be 'young' or better put, inexperienced, in how a MLB team would handle him.

I believe that in the first week of December 2007, with the Winter Meetings still going; and three full months until spring training to declare 2008 a wasted cause a bit of; shall we say, dramatic posturing? All because a player who has horrid mechanics and isn't as good as he was when he helped the Marlins win a World Championship goes to Detroit and an aging outfielder went somewhere FOR MORE MONEY didn't sign with the Sox?

For all the doom and gloom around here, I'd have to say the Sox fanbase ARE turning into the exact opposite of Cub fans. They believe that no matter what, their team will "win it all this year." The Sox fanbase is begining to believe that "this won't be the year."

We will likely have at least 6 opening day roster spots for players with less than 1 year experience under their belt.

Even if we accept your proposition that Iguchi is the same as a rookie and ignore the fact that Jenks was just there to take over for our injured closer in August, that's still just 2 rookies.

We will be looking at our 3B, 2B, probably one of the 2 OF spots, a starting pitcher and 2 bullpen spots (at least) being filled by youngsters.

Big difference.

Anyway, that's beside the point. A team with youth CAN play in the playoffs. I never said that.

The problem with our team is that the non-rookies filling out the rest of the roster are suspect as well--Thome's getting relaly old, Contreras and Danks are huge question marks (and Vazquez is a relatively small question mark). Combine all that uncertainty with the fact that we'll have 5-7 roster spots taken up by rookies, and 2008 will be a development year. Plain and simple.

Is it within the realm of possibility we'll make he playoffs? Sure. Anything's possible! And maybe Podsednik will catch on somewhere in spring training and win the NL MVP with 45 HR and a .394 BA! Anything's possible!!!!!!

brumski
12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
So, in light of being cast as a negative person, I would like to reiterate the original sentiments of this post. I am a HUGE sports fanatic and the White Sox are head and shoulders my favorite team on Earth. They have been that way for 30+ years now and Im lucky enough to have been a season ticket holder since 2002. All of that aside, I see the next 3 years as our opportunity to retool this machine. If we could land Fukudome, Rowand, Roberts, and about 3 solid bullpen arms, Id be the first one to jump for joy. That, unfortunately, is the only way that this specific team is going to contend over the next 2 years. I dont see that happening. So, in light of that, be a realist, and take the opportunity that is right in front of you. Deal everyone on this team that will not help us win the 2010 World Series. And, put together a team correctly this time, so we can win 3 more. I do not have any complaints over your previous moves. I fully believe that your intentions this offseason were of the best interest to this team. However, gravity failed. So, start this thing from scratch. And, get us some studs!!!