PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Payroll down to 8 MILLION!

BadBobbyJenks
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3141990

With this trade, the marlins highest paid player is keving gregg at $575,000!!!

I have a lot of praise for what the marlins have done winning 2 championships and the 2nd one was all buy tearing down and rebuilding through the minors but this is a joke.

What do they get in revenue sharing 30 million? There has got to be a rule put in place where you have to spend at least the amount you get in revenue sharing.

I know there are hardly any marlins fans out there but this is just a slap in the face to the ones they do have.

Get them out of miami.

PKalltheway
12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I wonder what percent of their total revenue they bring in is being spent on payroll...geez, I know the Marlins aren't exactly sitting on a gold mine, but this is ****ing ridiculous. The sad thing is that nothing will be done about this...

russ99
12-05-2007, 11:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3141990

With this trade, the marlins highest paid player is keving gregg at $575,000!!!

I have a lot of praise for what the marlins have done winning 2 championships and the 2nd one was all buy tearing down and rebuilding through the minors but this is a joke.

What do they get in revenue sharing 30 million? There has got to be a rule put in place where you have to spend at least the amount you get in revenue sharing.

I know there are hardly any marlins fans out there but this is just a slap in the face to the ones they do have.

Get them out of miami.

Yup. This and the Santana hoarding by the Red Sox/Yankees is why we need both a cap and a floor.

Fenway
12-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I wonder what percent of their total revenue they bring in is being spent on payroll...geez, I know the Marlins aren't exactly sitting on a gold mine, but this is ****ing ridiculous. The sad thing is that nothing will be done about this...

Loria and Samson are the worst owners in baseball......the killed the Expos and now this.

Tampa may get their new stadium before the Marlins as it appears Florida officials at least like the Rays ownership which is shown they are willing to invest big money in the project.

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Impeach!!

Corlose 15
12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Why should anyone support the Marlins? They'll keep all these players until they actually have to pay them and then do the exact same thing they've done the last couple of off seasons. They're a joke.

How can you ask somebody for a stadium with a straight face when you operate like this?

FedEx227
12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I've always said they need to have not a cap, but a floor. It is ridiculous that these teams clearly do not spend their revenue sharing money.

CashMan
12-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Loria and Samson are the worst owners in baseball......the killed the Expos and now this.

Tampa may get their new stadium before the Marlins as it appears Florida officials at least like the Rays ownership which is shown they are willing to invest big money in the project.

The sad thing is, Selig won't let Cuban in the MLB, but will keep owners with a payroll of 8mill.

Fenway
12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I've always said they need to have not a cap, but a floor. It is ridiculous that these teams clearly do not spend their revenue sharing money.

Hey the Royals bought a new scoreboard :smile:

http://www.daktronics.com/images/whatsnew/Royals%20Crown%20Display_200.jpg (http://www.daktronics.com/images/whatsnew/Royals%20Crown%20Display_500.jpg)

balke
12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, 4 games of A-rod = Kevin Gregg's (highest paid player on the Marlins) salary.

mjmcend
12-05-2007, 12:11 PM
The sad thing is, Selig won't let Cuban in the MLB, but will keep owners with a payroll of 8mill.

It's not Selig, its our own owner spearheading the charge to keep him out.

Hendu
12-05-2007, 12:17 PM

The MLBPA is against a salary floor on principal, because it's one step away from a cap. Also, it could backfire if a team like the Marlins gives a ridiculous contract to some scrub just to get over the floor. It could really screw up arbitration numbers for other teams.

I've gotta imagine that the big market clubs are not happy about their revenue sharing money going into owners' pockets instead of payroll. There should be a big fight amongst owners on this issue for the next CBA.

Huisj
12-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I think a salary floor would be too hard to enforce or manage. If a team is going to rebuild and they make a bunch of trades that would put them in danger of being below the floor, what do they do? Go plunk a bunch of money down on someone who stinks? That's absurd.

An $8 mil payroll is also absurd, but what can you do about it? You can't force a team to spend money, because you can't force players to sign with a team, and you can't force a team to not make trades.

Fenway
12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
South Florida reaction

MARLINS TRADE CABRERA, WILLIS

End of an era (http://www.miamiherald.com/589/story/331900.html)

The Marlins should finalize a deal Wednesday that sends Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for left-hander Andrew Miller, outfielder Cameron Maybin and four prospects.

Le Batard: Give Marlins benefit of doubt (http://www.miamiherald.com/609/story/332399.html)
The remaining Marlins fans cry on their message board

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1

FedEx227
12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
The MLBPA is against a salary floor on principal, because it's one step away from a cap. Also, it could backfire if a team like the Marlins gives a ridiculous contract to some scrub just to get over the floor. It could really screw up arbitration numbers for other teams.

I've gotta imagine that the big market clubs are not happy about their revenue sharing money going into owners' pockets instead of payroll. There should be a big fight amongst owners on this issue for the next CBA.

That's exactly the biggest thing I worry about if they did a floor. Was the Marlins saying "Fine" and giving Jacque Jones $14 million a year and calling it a day.

There has to though, if the MLB cared about creating more than 3 markets in their league.... the big IF, there has to be a way to punish owners who don't spend their revenue sharing money. It's ridiculous that the Marlins will probably get 30-35 million in sharing money and only use a very small portion of that on their payroll, use none of it for a stadium... and basically go right into the owner's pockets.

The Immigrant
12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
The amazing thing is that Andrew Miller is the only Marlins player currently under contract. Everyone else is either under team control or arbitration-eligible, but not under contract at this point. Loria could shut down the team tomorrow and the only player contract he'd have to pay would be Miller's.

HawkDJ
12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
If you read the article closely it looks like Andrew Miller will be the highest paid player at $1.25 million if he's on the big league roster which seems almost certain.

Anyway, I find it hard to criticize them when they've won 2 World Series in the past 11 seasons using this same philosophy.

eriqjaffe
12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Technically, there is a salary floor.

$9,750,000.

Of course, that's taking the 2008 league minimum of $390k and multiplying it by 25...

Grzegorz
12-05-2007, 01:10 PM
The sad thing is that nothing will be done about this...

What would you like to see done about this?

cws05champ
12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
This article details how much the Marlins are shoving in their pockets.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-flsphydespec05sbdec05,0,2222915.column?coll=sofla_ tab02_layout

This has been said before but needs to be shouted on days like today. This franchise makes bundles of money. It turns a wonderful profit. Take out the calculator and add up what they got last year:

$30 million. That's in revenue sharing.

$12 million. That's an estimated local TV deal, according to a source.

$18 million. That's from the national TV deal.

That's $60 million right there. That's before they sell a ticket, sign up a corporation or cash one of the increasingly lucrative checks from the merchandising arm of Major League Baseball. That's against a $32 million payroll last year that could dwindle to about half that this year.

Fenway
12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
This is the guy that figured out how to screw MLB on revenue sharing

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513TYAFN5KL._AA240_.jpg (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/images/155022512X/sr=8-2/qid=1196880143/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=916520&s=books&qid=1196880143&sr=8-2)

The book explains how he did it.

http://www.amazon.ca/My-Turn-Bat-Saga-Expos/dp/155022512X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196880143&sr=8-2

Steinbrenner was so furious he begged Selig to let one of his limited partners invest in the Expos and that is where Loria came from.

CubKilla
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
An organization the Sox could be proud of since they never overpay for talent!

munchman33
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
This article details how much the Marlins are shoving in their pockets.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-flsphydespec05sbdec05,0,2222915.column?coll=sofla_ tab02_layout

Well, it isn't like the Marlins don't try to acquire the best talent available for their players. And it isn't like the Marlins don't compete. And it certainly isn't like the Marlins don't surprise us all and win championships once in a while.

There are different routes to winning. The Marlins may have found one that is incredibly profitable. I'm not saying it's right. But if they can get away with it, why the hell not?

KyWhiSoxFan
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
The Marlins are probably the most profitable team in MLB. I understand the cries of competitive balance, but nobody says the team owner has to spend the money or has a cap on his profits.

The Marlins franchise is probably the least valued in MLB, but you have to give the owner some credit: He is in it to make money, and he is by fistfuls.

The Yankees are worth a billion and they may be making a little on their baseball operation (let's exclude YES network from the discussion), or even losing money has Cashman has intimated.

The Marlins franchise is worth, what, $150 to $200 million? And they're making $40 to $50 million a year. And they've won two WS in 11 years. I'd like a piece of that business.

The Immigrant
12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
An $8 mil payroll is also absurd, but what can you do about it?

You limit the revenue-sharing dollars that a team can receive so that it cannot exceed the team's total payroll for that year; the excess would be shared pro rata among the other teams. That wouldn't necessarily incentivize Jeffrey Loria to spend money on his team, but it would keep him from reaping a windfall at the expense of the other owners. This type of a fix also should not require any modifications to the CBA.

Without the revenue-sharing windfall, Loria would be forced to put money into his team in order to increase his other sources of revenue.

PKalltheway
12-05-2007, 04:51 PM
What would you like to see done about this?
Something. Anything. I do not know a whole lot about the financial side of baseball, but this is beyond ridiculous. There has to be some sort of rule implemented, or something of that nature, in order to prevent owners from doing this. Mercy, I don't even see how Bud Selig is letting these guys get away with this.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question, but seeing a Major League franchise with 2 World Titles getting run into the ground like this is pathetic. They won't ever develop a true, broad, fanbase by doing this.

nccwsfan
12-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Something. Anything. I do not know a whole lot about the financial side of baseball, but this is beyond ridiculous. There has to be some sort of rule implemented, or something of that nature, in order to prevent owners from doing this. Mercy, I don't even see how Bud Selig is letting these guys get away with this.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question, but seeing a Major League franchise with 2 World Titles getting run into the ground like this is pathetic. They won't ever develop a true, broad, fanbase by doing this.

Loria and the Marlins organization don't want to develop a broad fanbase, they want a new ballpark built for them so that they can increase their profits. If it's Miami great, if it's elsewhere great. They don't care and the fans of South Florida deserve better.

BadBobbyJenks
12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Well, it isn't like the Marlins don't try to acquire the best talent available for their players. And it isn't like the Marlins don't compete. And it certainly isn't like the Marlins don't surprise us all and win championships once in a while.

There are different routes to winning. The Marlins may have found one that is incredibly profitable. I'm not saying it's right. But if they can get away with it, why the hell not?

I am not arguing the way they go about things has worked extremly well, buts its not right. Gearing up for one season and then selling to be terrible for 5 years and then hoping all the talent you aquired builds into another championship is not the way to build a fan base. No one here is arguing whether his method is profitable we are saying its bull****.

WLL1855
12-06-2007, 11:44 PM
You limit the revenue-sharing dollars that a team can receive so that it cannot exceed the team's total payroll for that year; the excess would be shared pro rata among the other teams. That wouldn't necessarily incentivize Jeffrey Loria to spend money on his team, but it would keep him from reaping a windfall at the expense of the other owners. This type of a fix also should not require any modifications to the CBA.

Without the revenue-sharing windfall, Loria would be forced to put money into his team in order to increase his other sources of revenue.

That's exactly how you do it. You put in a hard floor and set penalties with teeth in the labor agreement (no owner would sacrafice revenue sharing money). Owners feel the pain in their pocketbooks. It would make them develop a healthy franchise or get the hell out of the business.

Mohoney
12-07-2007, 12:53 AM

Maybe I'm totally off base, but if I owned a big market team, I would LOVE to have a few owners sprinkled into the equation that won't even try to field a competitive team. Those owners make my product look even better by comparison, and the gimme wins sure do help in the standings.

Mohoney
12-07-2007, 01:06 AM

Why would Bud Selig do anything to drastically change the economic structure of the $6 billion dollar industry that he regulates?

It's simple economics. Revenue streams and profit margins are going up, up, up, any radical policy changes carry an inherent financial risk. Why risk killing this golden goose when you can just sit back and let the cash roll in?

BadBobbyJenks
05-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I thought I would bring back this thread in honor of the Marlins having the best record in baseball. I highly doubt they make the playoffs or anything, but you have got to give their management credit for consitently finding good young cheap talent.

FedEx227
05-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I thought I would bring back this thread in honor of the Marlins having the best record in baseball. I highly doubt they make the playoffs or anything, but you have got to give their management credit for consitently finding good young cheap talent.

Gee... great scouting and great, consistent minor league development/coaching.

What a hard concept for teams to figure out.

thomas35forever
05-11-2008, 05:15 PM
This thread needed as much bumping as the Carlos Quentin thread.:rolleyes:

Fenway
05-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Gee... great scouting and great, consistent minor league development/coaching.

What a hard concept for teams to figure out.

People forget that Loria somehow wound up with the bulk of the old Expos scouting system. It was a crazy situation with the Red Sox, Expos and Marlins sales all going at the same time. Loria also wound up with the Expos spring training base and the Expos/Nationals took over the Marlins complex.

Sometimes the best baseball played is at AA and AAA as young talent is trying so hard to make the show. This is what could be happening in Miami now.

BadBobbyJenks
05-11-2008, 05:25 PM
This thread needed as much bumping as the Carlos Quentin thread.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your input. I dont think I am alone in thinking a team with a payroll less than many super star players sitting inf first place in may is pretty impressive.