PDA

View Full Version : Indians Revisiting Bay

chitown13
12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07339/839260-63.stm

I don't think we can afford to let this happen too can we?

Flight #24
12-05-2007, 11:01 AM

A preview of coming attractions:

"It just didn't fit with what we were trying to do"
"We made an effort, but there just wasn't anything there that made sense"
"Sometimes you just don't match up"

And my personal favorite:

"I know I was willing to spend $15M on Hunter, but I couldn't take on the financial commitment necessary to get this deal done. You can't spend a dollar when you only have $1.50"

AJ Hellraiser
12-05-2007, 11:14 AM

No.... But, in all honesty, who cares at this point? Like I've said in other threads... Realistically, the right move at this point might just be to let the Indians and Tigers throw away their future while we start building one....

Flight #24
12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
No.... But, in all honesty, who cares at this point? Like I've said in other threads... Realistically, the right move at this point might just be to let the Indians and Tigers throw away their future while we start building one....

The problem is that in Granderson, Cabrera, Verlander, Zumaya, Bonderman they have a pretty good young core and Porcello is on the way. Plus they know how to draft, which the Sox have not shown they can do anywhere near as well.

oeo
12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Bay won't improve the Indians like Cabrera and Willis will improve the Tigers. If this is their 'answer' to the Tiger deal, it's laughable.

Flight #24
12-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Bay won't improve the Indians like Cabrera and Willis will improve the Tigers. If this is their 'answer' to the Tiger deal, it's laughable.

The problem is that the Indians were better than the Sox and this is a significant improvment for them. Not on the order of the Tigers, but they can at least realistically say "We were even with them before, now they've inched forward but we can still compete and if things gel right we'll beat them. In any case, there's always the WC".

The real problem is that the Sox continue to fall further behind as various options get closed off.

oeo
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
The problem is that the Indians were better than the Sox and this is a significant improvment for them. Not on the order of the Tigers, but they can at least realistically say "We were even with them before, now they've inched forward but we can still compete and if things gel right we'll beat them. In any case, there's always the WC".

It's an improvement, I wouldn't say a 'significant' improvement. They're going to have to give something up to get him, too. I don't think it's worth it from the Indians' end, but what the hell do I care, I hate the Indians.

The real problem is that the Sox continue to fall further behind as various options get closed off.

Jason Bay wasn't exactly an option I wanted to look at, anyway.

Sargeant79
12-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Jason Bay wasn't exactly an option I wanted to look at, anyway.

Agreed. While he would be a nice player to add, he doesn't exactly fill a need. Plus, he would likely cost parts that would be important for the '08 season. We need to figure out something for CF instead.

wulfy
12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
From the Winter Meetings Blog (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings)on ESPN.com:

10:23 a.m., from Buster Olney
Trade talks between the Indians and Pirates involving outfielder Jason Bay, left-handed starter Cliff Lee and others are dead.

alohafri
12-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Realistically, the right move at this point might just be to let the Indians and Tigers throw away their future while we start building one....

We had better get some new scouts then, because our minor league system is a shambles.