PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers = Jack Ass

veeter
12-05-2007, 09:11 AM
That's no news here, but today he gets personal. In the middle of his 'Kenny is stupid, the Sox are a bumbling franchise', article he says, and I quote, "For White Sox fans, the news just keeps getting better and better. They're probably just not clever enough to realize it." Who writes that crap??!! I know I shouldn't care, but I've just never seen or heard of a professional writer ripping a fan base. Especiallly when he knows, we do get it. Detroit gave up a lot, and it will hurt them badly in due time.

skottyj242
12-05-2007, 09:49 AM
That's no news here, but today he gets personal. In the middle of his 'Kenny is stupid, the Sox are a bumbling franchise', article he says, and I quote, "For White Sox fans, the news just keeps getting better and better. They're probably just not clever enough to realize it." Who writes that crap??!! I know I shouldn't care, but I've just never seen or heard of a professional writer ripping a fan base. Especiallly when he knows, we do get it. Detroit gave up a lot, and it will hurt them badly in due time.

:happybday

SOXPHILE
12-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Although not the complete bomb throwing ass-bag The Moron is, Phil Rogers has really become the Tribune's version of him, with the way he windsocks on a lot of things. My favorite was last year, when he informed us he had "developed a (mathamatical) formula" to support some argument or other pertaining to the White Sox season. Re-inventing math Phil ? I'm sure the Nobel people were calling, and I'm sure you changed your stance and reversed course a few days later.

SoxGirl4Life
12-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I'm running out of newspapers to read..

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Obviously you've never read a Mariotti column.

SoxGirl4Life
12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Obviously you've never read a Mariotti column.

Couldn't we put this word in the obscene language filter?

veeter
12-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Obviously you've never read a Mariotti column.I guess I meant a writer that tries to pass himself off as legit. Mariotti knows he writes for a tabloid. Rogers thinks he has credibility.

nevr say dye sox
12-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Acutally I can't say I disagree with Marriotti's article this morning. It's one thing to not be able to land guys due to lack of depth, and money. However, to come out and talk like you going to make all these moves and have it blow up in your face like it has deserves articles like this! Ozzie and KW have been an embarrassment to the organization. I've always been taught its better to have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! Well, KW and Ozzie have done this for the Sox this off season if nothing else!:angry:

veeter
12-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Acutally I can't say I disagree with Marriotti's article this morning. It's one thing to not be able to land guys due to lack of depth, and money. However, to come out and talk like you going to make all these moves and have it blow up in your face like it has deserves articles like this! Ozzie and KW have been an embarrassment to the organization. I've always been taught its better to have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! Well, KW and Ozzie have done this for the Sox this off season if nothing else!:angry:You're right they've only come up with one world championship. What an embarrassment.

SoxGirl4Life
12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Acutally I can't say I disagree with Marriotti's article this morning. It's one thing to not be able to land guys due to lack of depth, and money. However, to come out and talk like you going to make all these moves and have it blow up in your face like it has deserves articles like this! Ozzie and KW have been an embarrassment to the organization. I've always been taught its better to have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt! Well, KW and Ozzie have done this for the Sox this off season if nothing else!:angry:

Your first mistake was reading the article.

An embarassment? A World Series is an embarassment?

Talk about removing all doubt

wulfy
12-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Mariotti - while he may have some points that are valid - really has no credibility. And he turns everything into something personal.

He makes me miss Skip Bayless.

nevr say dye sox
12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
All I know, other GM's in the league that are respected like Theo Epstein, Ned Colletti, don't shoot their mouth off like KW and Ozzie. IMO they have made the Sox look like a joke of an organization. Right now there is nobody that wants to come here, and were going to have to over spend to have a chance to finish in thrid place. Our team is in a world of hurt for years to come. Only way to fix this is sign top minor league talent, which we are relucatant to do, or over spend for FA talent, which we are reluctant to do. Doesn't look good!

Chez
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree. Content aside, I thought the tone of the article was needlessly inflammatory and insulting to Sox fans. Perhaps when he comes back to WSI pimping some other book he's written (like he did following the 2005 season), the WSI faithful won't be as charitable or quick to kiss his butt like they were in '05.

rdivaldi
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Acutally I can't say I disagree with Marriotti's article this morning.

Then you need a vacation or an educational seminar on logic and reason. Agreeing with Kotex Boy is a first step towards insanity...

Bucky F. Dent
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I'm running out of newspapers to read..

I read what Merkin write's about the team coming off the team's website. Virtually everything I see from the Sun Times and the Trib is inflamatory, reactionary garbage

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Then you need a vacation or an educational seminar on logic and reason. Agreeing with Kotex Boy is a first step towards insanity...

Tell that to the 4 other threads that are currently going that basically say the same thing.

veeter
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
All I know, other GM's in the league that are respected like Theo Epstein, Ned Colletti, don't shoot their mouth off like KW and Ozzie. IMO they have made the Sox look like a joke of an organization. Right now there is nobody that wants to come here, and were going to have to over spend to have a chance to finish in thrid place. Our team is in a world of hurt for years to come. Only way to fix this is sign top minor league talent, which we are relucatant to do, or over spend for FA talent, which we are reluctant to do. Doesn't look good!Detroit is the team that'll be hurting in years to come. Basically, they HAVE to win now. They gave up the farm, literally. Andrew Miller will win more games with the Marlins, than Willis with the Tigers. Bank on it.

WizardsofOzzie
12-05-2007, 11:58 AM
All I know, other GM's in the league that are respected like Theo Epstein, Ned Colletti, don't shoot their mouth off like KW and Ozzie. IMO they have made the Sox look like a joke of an organization. Right now there is nobody that wants to come here, and were going to have to over spend to have a chance to finish in thrid place. Our team is in a world of hurt for years to come. Only way to fix this is sign top minor league talent, which we are relucatant to do, or over spend for FA talent, which we are reluctant to do. Doesn't look good!

So does that mean you are saying "Dye" :redneck

russ99
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Phil Rogers has always been and will always be a Cubbie apologist. Expect the same biased responses as Mariotti who has a grudge agains Reinsdorf.

I don't read either when it comes to White Sox related stories.

rowand33
12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't read Mariotti's articles, but was prompted to by posts in this thread...

it pains me to say it

but he hits the nail right on the head.

nevr say dye sox
12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Winning a world series is not an embarrassment, but making the playoffs 1 time in 7 years is. What's more embarrassing is when KW comes out in the papers and say where going to do this and that. We don't need to hear it until its done. As to the Tigers having to win now, so what. I would rather have that risk, than having to pay for season tickets for years to come with out any chance. I heard people say on this board many times yeah but they stripped their farm system. With the guys that the Tigers gave up their farm system is still better than ours. Thats how bad the Sox state is right now. So if the win in the next two years, they made a great move. There is nothing that gurantees prospects will become anything. I envy Dombrowski's aggressiveness, he actually does things. Our GM spats in the Media and then looks like a idiot! KW and Ozzie have become a joke!

DrCrawdad
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
That's no news here, but today he gets personal. In the middle of his 'Kenny is stupid, the Sox are a bumbling franchise', article he says, and I quote, "For White Sox fans, the news just keeps getting better and better. They're probably just not clever enough to realize it." Who writes that crap??!! I know I shouldn't care, but I've just never seen or heard of a professional writer ripping a fan base. Especially when he knows, we do get it. Detroit gave up a lot, and it will hurt them badly in due time.

Just curious, has Mr. Rogers ever taken a shot a Cubbie fans like that?

No doubt those snipes get Phil some hi-fives at the Cubune water cooler, but what a jackass.

But Williams concluded that the potential reward in adding two power arms for one polished workhorse was worth a roll of the dice. Good luck on that. - Phil Rogers, 12/2006

The "polished workhorse"? Brandon McCarthy, who had at that point tossed all of 150 IP in MLB. Hey Mr. Rogers, how many innings did that "polished workhorse" toss last year?

McCarthy 101 IP
Dank 139 IP
Masset 39 IP

tebman
12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I read what Merkin write's about the team coming off the team's website. Virtually everything I see from the Sun Times and the Trib is inflamatory, reactionary garbage

It's sad but true. I'm as disappointed and annoyed as the rest of the board for not landing Hunter and/or M. Cabrera, but I'm sure as hell not going to look to the newspaper columnists for commiseration.

Rogers, Couch, He Who Must Not Be Named, Morrissey, and Slezak are desperately holding on to their jobs. Newspapers in general are in financial trouble and they figure that throwing bombs in their columns is the way to compete with the sideshows of sportstalk radio and cable-TV shoutfests.

I don't read them. I read the game reports and news from the teams and boards like WSI so that I can mix them all into the total story. The only ingredient the Chicago columnists provide to that mix is a bitter, angry taste that adds nothing to the story and makes me want to wash my hands after I've read it.

Having said all that, I think KW's mistake was appearing on the Hunter & Cabrera radar instead of laying low. The offseason still has a long way to go and KW might surprise us yet, but yeah, these two that got away are going to gnaw at me for a while.

CubKilla
12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
"For White Sox fans, the news just keeps getting better and better. They're probably just not clever enough to realize it."

No, we realize the news isn't good Mr. Rogers. We also realize and let KW off the hook whenever another team overpays for talent.

Tragg
12-05-2007, 01:40 PM
"For White Sox fans, the news just keeps getting better and better. They're probably just not clever enough to realize it."

That is really vile.
Rogers knows better than to write garbage like that.

Gammons Peter
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I just sent Phil a go F yourself email

slavko
12-05-2007, 02:01 PM

And then there's "be a better judge of talent than others" which is what a GM is hired to do. Sorry I couldn't offer any help there either.

Walkman
12-05-2007, 02:05 PM
That is really vile.
Rogers knows better than to write garbage like that.

And Phil is not clever enough to research and write an article about baseball.

hi im skot
12-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I just sent Phil a go F yourself email

That'll show him!

ChiSoxFan35
12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I think you're reading it wrong. It context, it sounds like he's being sarcastic, with a rip on management to me. Like management is putting a positive spin, saying 'oh this move is good, it's good, Sox fans just aren't clever enough to realize it', bad words though because it ends up sounding bad

dickallen15
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I think you're reading it wrong. It context, it sounds like he's being sarcastic, with a rip on management to me. Like management is putting a positive spin, saying 'oh this move is good, it's good, Sox fans just aren't clever enough to realize it', bad words though because it ends up sounding bad
If anything Rogers is sticking up for Sox fans with his little quote. KW was in full spin saying its a good move, but Rogers is saying sarcastically White Sox fans aren't smart enough to realize Cabrera and Willis to Detroit is good for the White Sox. I think we agree.