PDA

View Full Version : Hey Kenny, How about going under the Radar for THIS GUY...

Domeshot17
12-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Brian Roberts. I know his name has briefly been mentioned, but with talks of Baltimore blowing it up under Mcphail he will be part of that. He has said that if Tejada and Bedard and co. go, he wants out too. He is a high contact good OBP stolen base machine who can lead off and serve as a tutor to Danny Richar. I think Richar has a bright future, but a season of being the utlity player around the IF, backing up 2b and SS, pinch running could be great for Richar, especially learning from Roberts. He is also signed to a reasonable 4.2 mil a year (less then Uribe!!).

I would not expect him to come cheap, and maybe, ultimately, Richar has to be used in the deal. Either way, If you want to win, this is a guy who can bring it. On top of everything else, he also creates freedom in the outfield as you now don't have to try and find a CF who can lead off and it lets Quentin play LF. Finally it gives you a FANTASTIC defensive middle IF and still lets you have 11 mil to throw in CF, 15+ if you then deal Uribe

1 Roberts 2b
2 Cabrera SS
3 Fukudome CF
4 Konerko 1b
5 Thome DH
6 Dye RF
7 Fields 3b
8 AJ C
9 Quentin LF

Thats a sick lineup that can score ALOT of runs and with the top 3, Fields hitting 7 and Quentin 9, you have good speed/athleticism/non cloggers.

btrain929
12-05-2007, 12:24 AM
I'd love to get Fukudome, but he will not be in the 3 hole on the Chicago White Sox anytime soon.

AJ Hellraiser
12-05-2007, 12:30 AM
WOW... Roberts was exactly the name I was thinking tonight when I thought about names flying around... he hits for average and a bit of power... plays solid defense and can steal bases...

Problem is, the Orioles are probably going to want a ton for him....But yes, trading for him to fill the leadoff hole would then mean KW could sign just about anyone to play CF and probably also afford a back of the rotation starter as well...

All that being said, the depressing thing is I still don't see how we would crash the top-5 of the AL as it stands... so, then really what is the point?

What a sad, sad day....:whiner::whiner::whiner:

Domeshot17
12-05-2007, 12:34 AM
I'd love to get Fukudome, but he will not be in the 3 hole on the Chicago White Sox anytime soon.

I know, I just like him there because (1) hes an On Base machine and (2) Him-PK-Thome-Dye goes Lefty Righty Lefty Righty in the heart which creates match up problems

Fantosme
12-05-2007, 01:57 AM
The Orioles owner vetoed a Roberts trade last year because he is the face of the franchise. It would probably take an insane offer to get them to move Roberts.

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2007, 02:09 AM
The Orioles owner vetoed a Roberts trade last year because he is the face of the franchise. It would probably take an insane offer to get them to move Roberts.
Never ever underestimate the stupidity of Peter Angelos...

It'd be a great move if it could happen...but I don't think it can.

cws05champ
12-05-2007, 07:33 AM
I know, I just like him there because (1) hes an On Base machine and (2) Him-PK-Thome-Dye goes Lefty Righty Lefty Righty in the heart which creates match up problems

Yes, he's got great OBP, but you do not bring in a guy from Japan and stick him in the 3 hole. That would be suicide....he needs to start out down in the order or in the 2 hole to prove he has enough power to bat at 3. I don't think he'll come here and have 30 + HR, more like 15-22HR. I would like for the Sox to sign him, but he has to get in a confort zone first.

I don't think we should give up a ton of prospects for Roberts...it is not a major need. We need more pitching and CF help.

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 07:38 AM
I like Roberts as a solution to the leadoff problem, but it allocates resources we might use to plug bigger holes.

I'm not exactly SOLD on Richar, but I think he'll be more serviceable at 2B than Owens, for instance, in CF....

Zisk77
12-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Roberts is a switch hitting witch as well.

ChiSoxPatF
12-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I like the idea but I'm sure you'll find some people nay-saying the fact that he is a 30-year old speedster and will likely be entering the downturn of his career. That said, its an interesting idea and I would do backflips for Kenny to do it (no easy feat for me).

Corlose 15
12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
At what point do the Sox just let their young players play? IMO, this team needs to get younger and they don't do that by trading youth for older players.

I think at some point you've just gotta see what Quentin, Fields, Richar, etc can do.

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2007, 09:09 AM
And this would help our Bullpen and CF problem how?

Domeshot17
12-05-2007, 09:24 AM
And this would help our Bullpen and CF problem how?

Well right now we can't sign a veteran CF because they don't lead off. If we do, it means we play the less talented Jerry Owens over the higher talented Carlos Quentin in LF. Trading for Roberts and his LOW SALARY lets you spend money on any CF you choose, and you aren't handicapped by this need for him to be a lead off man.

I don't know, if we are trying to win, Roberts-Jones/Rowand/Fukudome >>> Richar-Owens...Especially if we can hold Richar and have him tutored for a year by Brian Roberts.

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Well right now we can't sign a veteran CF because they don't lead off. If we do, it means we play the less talented Jerry Owens over the higher talented Carlos Quentin in LF. Trading for Roberts and his LOW SALARY lets you spend money on any CF you choose, and you aren't handicapped by this need for him to be a lead off man.

I don't know, if we are trying to win, Roberts-Jones/Rowand/Fukudome >>> Richar-Owens...Especially if we can hold Richar and have him tutored for a year by Brian Roberts.

the only problem is our resources--

We are pretty much maxed out payroll-wise...that's not to say JR won't open it up a little, but I can't see us going over 120 million...it just seems unlikely.

I'm not convinced that the O's will take minor league talent without salary relief, so we're looking at, best case, taking on an entire 4.2 million for Roberts--that pushes us to 105 mill or so, and with two more serious holes to fill, we're looking at bad financial straits.

I like him as a leadoff, and am certain he'll be better than Richar at second, but I wonder if our resources wouldn't be better suited to filling our most pressing needs right now, leadoff concerns be damned

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM

It ain't that low.

Brian Roberts inf
1 year/$4.2M (2007)
2 years/$14.3M (2008-09)

signed extension 3/07
08:$6.3M, 09:$8M
limited no-trade clause allowing Roberts to block deals to a small number of clubs each season
1 year/$4.2M (2007)
re-signed 2/07 (avoided arbitration, $4.6M-$3.8M)
award bonuses for MVP, WS MVP, LCS MVP, Gold Glove, All Star selection ($25,000) or Silver Slugger
1 year/$3.075M (2006)

re-signed 2/06, avoided arbitration ($3.6M-$2.4M)
performance bonus: $25,000 with 600 plate appearances
1 year/$0.39M (2005), re-signed 3/05
1 year/$0.345M (2004), re-signed 2/04
agent: Mark Pieper
ML service: 4.131

asindc
12-05-2007, 09:43 AM
the only problem is our resources--

We are pretty much maxed out payroll-wise...that's not to say JR won't open it up a little, but I can't see us going over 120 million...it just seems unlikely.

I'm not convinced that the O's will take minor league talent without salary relief, so we're looking at, best case, taking on an entire 4.2 million for Roberts--that pushes us to 105 mill or so, and with two more serious holes to fill, we're looking at bad financial straits.

I like him as a leadoff, and am certain he'll be better than Richar at second, but I wonder if our resources wouldn't be better suited to filling our most pressing needs right now, leadoff concerns be damned

I don't disagree with much of what you say, but as someone who watches the O's regularly, I can assure you that paying Roberts 6.3mil [edited after reading Chicken Dinner's post] would be worth every penny, even with our payroll as it is. I understand that the pitching holes would still need to be filled, but with the proposed lineup (I'd bat Dye 3d instead of the Japanese FA), our lineup could compete with any in the AL, including NY, Det, and Bos.

I suspect, though, that Baltimore would want a King's ransom for him. He is their most popular player. Keep in mind too that there have been whispers about Roberts juicing up. I would definitely want KW to wait until the Mitchell report comes out before going after some of the FAs or players on the trading block.

fquaye149
12-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I think Roberts is a great player and a great value...I just wonder if getting him at the expense of our other needs is the right decision.

That said, depending on the package, I'd be excited to see Kenny acquire him.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
So this move makes a better 3rd place team in 08 and further weakens are incredibly crappy system. No thank you.

russ99
12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes, he's got great OBP, but you do not bring in a guy from Japan and stick him in the 3 hole. That would be suicide....he needs to start out down in the order or in the 2 hole to prove he has enough power to bat at 3. I don't think he'll come here and have 30 + HR, more like 15-22HR. I would like for the Sox to sign him, but he has to get in a confort zone first.

Which is why the Sox won't be signing said player to the $12-17M per season deal as he's reported to want. If he were reasonably priced, like Iguchi was, I'd be all for it. Not at those prices...

ChiSoxPatF
12-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I know I'll take flack for quoting these guys as a source, but ESPN Radio is reporting that Brian Roberts has been placed on the block. Just thought I'd tack this on to the thread.

Unfortunately the team they tied to the rumor was the Flubs.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I know I'll take flack for quoting these guys as a source, but ESPN Radio is reporting that Brian Roberts has been placed on the block. Just thought I'd tack this on to the thread.

Great. The better the Cubs next season the less attention on our team.

NardiWasHere
12-05-2007, 04:42 PM

I know they traded Infante, but how many 2Bs do they want?

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I know they traded Infante, but how many 2Bs do they want?
If you were the Cubs Who would you rather have starting at 2b Fontenot or Roberts?

NardiWasHere
12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
If you were the Cubs Who would you rather have starting at 2b Fontenot or Roberts?

I know, its just that 2b is a position they don't need, while they have other positions to fill.

They also have DeRosa, right?

That's like the Sox getting a chance at adding another 3b or 1b/dh... you know? Yeah I'd rather have some other guys there, but is that necessary?

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I know, its just that 2b is a position they don't need, while they have other positions to fill.

They also have DeRosa, right?

That's like the Sox getting a chance at adding another 3b or 1b/dh... you know? Yeah I'd rather have some other guys there, but is that necessary?
Derosa will probably be the everyday RF. If they sign Fukodome he will play in CF. If that were to happen you might see a package of like Pie, Marshall, MArmol, Patterson and Gallagher for Roberts and Bedard.

JB98
12-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I think Roberts is a great player and a great value...I just wonder if getting him at the expense of our other needs is the right decision.

That said, depending on the package, I'd be excited to see Kenny acquire him.

I'd be enthused if Kenny could get Roberts too. That would fix the gaping hole at leadoff. Then try to sign Fukudome, maybe sign a stopgap veteran for the back of the rotation and then get ready to roll.

We'd still need some breaks to win, but it would become more doable.

Sockinchisox
12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Phillips is reporting they discussed a Hill & Marshall for Roberts swap.