PDA

View Full Version : Haren or Hernandez?

soxfanreggie
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Mods, please move if this should be somewhere else.

I am not saying this is a potential move that's in the works, but it's something I was thinking about at work today. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on either trading for Danny Haren or acquiring Liven Hernandez.

The A's would probably ask for too much for Haren, but Livan Hernandez is an option. He probably won't command near the $7 mil he made this year. As someone who could come in and give you some innings and wins for the right price. He was 11-11 with a sub-5 ERA. If you can get that kind of production, wins-wise out of a 4th/5th starter, you're not doing to bad. I certainly wouldn't mind a 1-year contract...$2.5-3 mil with heavy incentives for wins or innings. He can usually give over 200 IP a year. Why not throw in a $100 or 200k bonus for hitting a certain amount of innings (175 or 200) and then maybe another $100k or $200k for hitting 220 IP (he has hit that 6 times) In addition, you could add a club option for a 2nd year with a small buyout. He has never been a great pitcher, but we could use someone like him at the end of the rotation if we have some prospects that don't quite step up yet.

I don't think Hernandez would be an Earth-shattering signing, but I think it could be beneficial for the Sox to add some with a lot of stability to the rotation.

Sockinchisox
12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Livan Hernandez in the AL?

:puking:

rowand33
12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Hernandez.

We have no realistic hope of Haren. We don't have a package other teams would be interested in.

Domeshot17
12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I love Haren If we can get him do it. I think we could land Blanton easier and he would be a good find. From what I am hearing is Oakland has been working teams...oh you think thats too much for Haren ok, what do you think of Blanton he would only cost THIS....

But, to sustain long term success we need to get contributions from our young pitching. You look at the teams who win the most (although it doesnt feel like it this week), The Yanks got such a lift from their kids last year. Boston got a nice shot in the arm from their kids. Cleveland is almost entirely home grown, Detroit is 2 or 3 5th of their rotation is home grown. Sooner or later we Need a John Danks to give us 195 innings 14 wins and a 4.25 era, Floyd the same, Lance Broadway to win 11 out of the 5th slot if needed. We can't keep paying such a premium for pitching, or gambling soo much either.

ShoelessJoeS
12-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Haren?

:drool:

PalehosePlanet
12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Have Billy Beane and KW made a trade since Moneyball? Seems like they used to somewhat chummy, then Beane had some negative things to say about KW in the book, and since they do not deal anymore.

Haren would be WAAYYY to expensive (Santana like returns) to even consider. As for Livan? I'd rather give Floyd a shot in the 5th spot.

WhiteSox5187
12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd loooove to see Haren on this team, but I don't think we have a snowball's chance in hell of landing him.

Tragg
12-04-2007, 11:06 PM
What we need is a Center Fielder, LF, and leadoff hitter.

Let's get what we need.

sullythered
12-04-2007, 11:27 PM
What we need is a Center Fielder, LF, and leadoff hitter.

Let's get what we need.
Agreed. Next is relief help, then second baseman.

Still, people need to stop saying we don't have anything to offer. Fields, Gio, Broadway, Bobby Jenks, Danny Richar, Ryan Sweeny are all very very desirable commodities.

btrain929
12-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Agreed. Next is relief help, then second baseman.

Still, people need to stop saying we don't have anything to offer. Fields, Gio, Broadway, Bobby Jenks, Danny Richar, Ryan Sweeny are all very very desirable commodities.

No, they really aren't. All highly regarded within the White Sox because of our low-talent farm system, but not across the league. We got Richar for an A ball player (albeit a good one). Sweeney has no power and has gone down in the past year in whatever value he had. Broadway, ok maybe. But he won't be the headline of any deal. No GM is scratchin his head saying "How can I get Broadway away from KW. Hmmm....."

soxfanreggie
12-05-2007, 12:05 AM
My thoughts are that it wouldn't hurt to have another proven starter who can eat a lot of innings on the roster, especially if you're most likely to give up at least 1 or 2 SP prospects in any trades.

I don't see Jenks as a prospect you trade. Yes, he's not a long-term MLB vet, but he's been around the game, as a professional, for a long time. He is also one of our most valuable players, who I would rather not trade unless we get some irresistable offer for proven young talent. He's someone who comes out and does his job very, very well with some devastating pitches. He is also someone that can be our closer for a long, long time.

Also, the leadoff hitter is likely to be the LF or CF because all the other positions are full unless you make a trade, so you might want to comebine a couple of those desires.

Zisk77
12-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Please not Hernandez. I was going to say he could run the ball up to home plate faster than he can throw it, but then I tried to picture Livan running and couldn't sto laughing. :D:

Ika
12-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Hernandez was OK in the NL in a pretty good division, but I wouldn't waste a roster spot on him. If he'd be willing to take a minor league contract that'd be great, but I'm sure somebody in the NL Central would offer real money (3mil +) before that would happen.