PDA

View Full Version : American League vs. National League

ND_Sox_Fan
12-04-2007, 10:08 PM
After the Cabrera/Willis trade today and all of the debate that has followed about how good the Tigers will be, I got to thinking about the balance of power between the AL and NL.

Today's trade clearly benefits the AL in 2008 and only further cements Detroit as one of baseball's top 5 teams on paper. That said, is there any argument that all of baseball's top 5 teams are not in the AL?

1) Red Sox
2) Tigers
3) Yankees
4) Indians
5) Angels

Heck, how far does one have to go on this list before putting an NL team on it? Where do the Mets, Phils, Snakes, and Rockies enter the picture? Even if they are in the top 6 or 7, how much better are the teams in the first tier (1-5)?

As has existed for the last couple of years, there is a staggering imbalance between the two leagues that only appears to grow wider now with each trade.

AJ Hellraiser
12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
In the last 3 years, the difference between the leagues has become absurd...

The AL is full of quality, young talent and the teams are absolutely stacked...

The AL makes the NL look like AAAA....

PKalltheway
12-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I thought of the same thing today. There are a couple of good pitchers in the NL, and a few good hitters, but as far as good teams? I'd say the last REAL GOOD NL team was the 2005 Cardinals...

Heck, you have to go back to 2002 to when the last time a NL team was the favorite going into the World Series...

drewcifer
12-04-2007, 11:09 PM
After the Cabrera/Willis trade today and all of the debate that has followed about how good the Tigers will be, I got to thinking about the balance of power between the AL and NL.

Today's trade clearly benefits the AL in 2008 and only further cements Detroit as one of baseball's top 5 teams on paper. That said, is there any argument that all of baseball's top 5 teams are not in the AL?

1) Red Sox
2) Tigers
3) Yankees
4) Indians
5) Angels

Heck, how far does one have to go on this list before putting an NL team on it? Where do the Mets, Phils, Snakes, and Rockies enter the picture? Even if they are in the top 6 or 7, how much better are the teams in the first tier (1-5)?

As has existed for the last couple of years, there is a staggering imbalance between the two leagues that only appears to grow wider now with each trade.

I wouldn't put the Yankees in the top 5. Not with 2 (maybe 3) rookies in the rotation and Wang as the ace as they are today.

But I get your point and agree otherwise.

oeo
12-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't put the Yankees in the top 5. Not with 2 (maybe 3) rookies in the rotation and Wang as the ace as they are today.

But I get your point and agree otherwise.

Sorry, but the Yankees win ~95 games regardless of what their rotation is. And even with 3 rookies, it looks better than it did last year.

I wouldn't put them in the Top 3; definitely in the Top 5, though. What other teams are there?

DumpJerry
12-05-2007, 08:03 AM
We were saying the same thing in 2006.

Then the Tigers "played" in the World Series.

skottyj242
12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Heck, you have to go back to 2002 to when the last time a NL team was the favorite going into the World Series...

What does being favored have anything to do with anything? I like a lot of National League teams and I think that a lot of them are great. There is definitely a ton of starting pitching in the NL, just look at the Left Coast for proof of that.

Chicken Dinner
12-05-2007, 09:01 AM
The weak keep getting weaker. An NL team paying David Riske 13 million bucks for 3 years shows you that they have no intention of competing.