PDA

View Full Version : Crede to the Brew Crew?

SomebodyToldMe
12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
According to Yahoo/Sporting News (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AkeXgkCanSUYGZxidm.bQNcRvLYF?slug=update sfromthewintermeet&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

The Brewers are having an active day. According to a club official, the club has worked out a contract for free-agent righthander David Riske (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6309/;_ylt=Aoa8Pe9vYhsVE2.x0Ns_KesEvLYF), who will get a chance to be Milwaukee's closer. In addition, the Brewers are close to obtaining third baseman Joe Crede (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6411/;_ylt=AuQO_4gkNZ_4FuypN8Zea4gEvLYF) from the Chicago White Sox (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/chw/;_ylt=AnSnDmIJPG45SdOlodE0Wp8EvLYF). With the addition of Crede, the Brewers could move NL rookie of the year Ryan Braun (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players;_ylt=AvKS4vgAJd0LCAMC1imaTLwEvLYF?type=las tname&first=1&query=Ryan+Braun&q=Ryan+Braun) to left field. Braun had severe defensive problems at third.Has anyone else heard about this? After a super sucky day I'd like to see how Kenny wants to throw the rest of the season away. Ok, that was only partly sarcastic.

Sockinchisox
12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
I heard rumblings about this, this morning but it was a sort of in passing thing. I wouldn't mind trading him to the Brewcrew, I would assume Manny Parra is off limits though.

santo=dorf
That's the first time I heard they were "close" to acquiring him.

He's a free agent to be and hasn't proven himself healthy. Is a mid-level prospect and freeing up $5 million for the Sox really that bad of a deal? :?:

gogosox16
What would we get for him...Now that it seems that were screwed and we should go through rebuilding I say Crede for Tony Gwynn Jr.

rowand33
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Riske closing?!

:o:

SomebodyToldMe
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
That's the first time I heard they were "close" to acquiring him.

He's a free agent to be and hasn't proven himself healthy. Is a mid-level prospect and freeing up $5 million for the Sox really that bad of a deal? :?:

I'm just wondering who we'd be interested in getting. I'm all for trading Crede and keeping Fields, but I'd just like to know who the Sox have their eye on over there.

rowand33
12-04-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm just wondering who we'd be interested in getting. I'm all for trading Crede and keeping Fields, but I'd just like to know who the Sox have their eye on over there.

My gut tells my Turnbow or Rickie Weekes...

yay

Dub25
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
I saw this on MLBrumors.com. I'm thinking Chris Capuano could be in a potential deal since his name was mentioned in a potential Brew Crew deal to the Cards for Rolen. I wouldn't mind Capuano. He was terrible after coming off the DL but his career numbers are not that bad. He even won 18 games in a season. I would rather have him than Gavin Floyd in the rotation. And the Brewers do have some good young players they can throw in as well. Plus the Brewers GM and KW are pretty tight so who knows, maybe something gets done.

hi im skot
Riske closing?!

That's the first thing I thought.

Navarro's Talent
Riske closing?!

That is a very scary thought for Brewers fans.

12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
My gut tells my Turnbow or Rickie Weekes...

yay

Rickie Weeks will not be traded

drewcifer
12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
What would we get for him...Now that it seems that were screwed and we should go through rebuilding I say Crede for Tony Gwynn Jr.

Capuano maybe? I've been hearing his name alot.

palehosepub
12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I hope we get Capuano.

btrain929
12-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I wish we could ship Crede and 1-2 arms over there for Manny Parra. Free up money and give us a solid lefty for our pen. But Milwaukee is pretty high on him, so I doubt that'll happen.

santo=dorf
12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
I hope we get Capuano.
Why the hell?

Capuano pitched in 29 games last year. In the first 7 games he pitched in, the Brewers won. After May 7th, Capuano pitched in 22 games and the Brewers lost everyone of them.
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7132/g...WRXWLEMWCiFCLcF)

DumpJerry
12-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Riske closing?!

Cub fans who know anything about baseball should smile at that prospect.

Dub25
12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Why the hell?

Capuano pitched in 29 games last year. In the first 7 games he pitched in, the Brewers won. After May 7th, Capuano pitched in 22 games and the Brewers lost everyone of them.

Some of those games Capuano pitched pretty good but if you remember the Brewers had a bad habit of blowing games in the second half of the season and the reason why we were tortured by a Cub playoff appearance. Checkout these numbers and then ask yourself if you would rather have him or Floyd in the rotation.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/capuach01.shtml

russ99
12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
That is a very scary thought for Brewers fans.

Yep. Very Riske. (couldn't help myself)

Don't the Brewers have a glut of outfielders? I'd go Crede for Capuano and an OF.

btrain929
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Yep. Very Riske. (couldn't help myself)

Don't the Brewers have a glut of outfielders? I'd go Crede for Capuano and an OF.

If Crede is the only player we are giving up, we will not get any type of big return. Package him with some of those useless bullpen arms (Aardsma/Masset/Sisco/Day) and get something meaningful. The Brewers lost 2 huge bullpen free agents, so a deal around those parameters could be intriguing to them.

12-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Some of those games Capuano pitched pretty good but if you remember the Brewers had a bad habit of blowing games in the second half of the season and the reason why we were tortured by a Cub playoff appearance. Checkout these numbers and then ask yourself if you would rather have him or Floyd in the rotation.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/capuach01.shtml

Floyd any day of the week.

Dub25
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Floyd any day of the week.

I hope you forgot the teal... unless you like sh***y pitching!

12-04-2007, 08:49 PM
I hope you forgot the teal... unless you like sh***y pitching!

No teal necessary. Floyd costs us no talent, makes league minimum not to mention they will put up similar numbers next year...

Oh yeah, no need to avoid the language filters. Type the word you want and the system filters it if necessary.

cws05champ
12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Crede for a case of Point Beer and a bratwurst to be named later!! :D:

delben91
12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Riske closing?!

Paniagua was unavailable.

soxyess
12-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey Kenny lets cap a crappy day by giving away crede for someone coming off the DL who was the Brewers number one pick in 2003 who hit 500 in rookie league and 100 as a september call up but he has a HIGH CEILING!!

btrain929
12-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey Kenny lets cap a crappy day by giving away crede for someone coming off the DL who was the Brewers number one pick in 2003 who hit 500 in rookie league and 100 as a september call up but he has a HIGH CEILING!!

I hope you're not talking about Quentin. If so, it just shows how much you don't know about players outside of the White Sox.

soxyess
12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I hope you're not talking about Quentin. If so, it just shows how much you don't know about players outside of the White Sox.

Is quentin a guaranteed 280-300 hitter. Detroit gets the one of the best young hitters in the game and we get a project. SET THE BAR HIGH STOP SETTLING FOR 2ND AND 3RD TIER PLAYERS!!

veeter
12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Is quentin a guaranteed 280-300 hitter. Detroit gets the one of the best young hitters in the game and we get a project. SET THE BAR HIGH STOP SETTLING FOR 2ND AND 3RD TIER PLAYERS!!Get a clue.

Grzegorz
12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
I am amazed; why even play the 2008 schedule?

It's December; I am not going to give up in December because I see paper soldiers.

SoxxoS
12-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Why the hell?

Yeah, that does sound like a risk. You know what else is risky? A guy coming off back surgery.

CLR01
12-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah, that does sound like a risk. You know what else is risky? A guy coming off back surgery.

But he is a White Sox so that pretty much eliminates any risk/doubt another team may have.

soxyess
12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Get a clue.

I have a clue. I also demand more from my team. I wont settle for plan 8W. I want quality players!!

CLR01
12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Get a clue.

Keep it civil. There will be no more warnings in this thread.

Tragg
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Just what the Sox need -another mediocre veteran.

The Sox are absolutely scared out of their wits to use young players.

Even last year when 20 games out in September, there the Sox were, pitching terrible veteran middle relievers, while the young players wallowed on the bench.

Lip Man 1
12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Tragg:

I can't argue with you but I can also see the point that as bad as the prospects have been over the past fifteen years en masse (with certain exceptions) perhaps Kenny himself, let alone Ozzie just doesn't have any confidence in them.

Lip

drewcifer
12-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Let's qualify - An everyday 3B position coming off of back surgery. Though I think he'll be fine (Joe), let's do apples and apples.

And despite the 4 days of rest he gets b/w appeareances (unlike Joe), he costs less and fills a front line SP role that is vacant.

Having said, it wouldn't be a bad trade with something else thrown in (low level if we can get it).

duke of dorwood
12-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Tragg:

I can't argue with you but I can also see the point that as bad as the prospects have been over the past fifteen years en masse (with certain exceptions) perhaps Kenny himself, let alone Ozzie just doesn't have any confidence in them.

Lip

And they probably didnt want them to fail too badly, hoping someone would trade for one of them

Tragg
12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Let's qualify - An everyday 3B position coming off of back surgery. Though I think he'll be fine (Joe), let's do apples and apples.

And despite the 4 days of rest he gets b/w appeareances (unlike Joe), he costs less and fills a front line SP role that is vacant.

Having said, it wouldn't be a bad trade with something else thrown in (low level if we can get it).
He fills a position of mediocre 5th starter. And in return, we have no one who can field the position of 3rd base.
Last season we spent all offseason trading for mediocre middle relievers.
And we have several young pitchers who could be 5th starter, while the only player we have to play CF is Jerry Owens and in LF is, well, I don't know.
Hold onto Crede. The Sox don't have a great need for a mediocre pitcher.
And then we're going after Chris Burke - another mediocrity. We traded our BEST AA hitter for Richar, but after 6 weeks in the 9 hole, I guess it's time to dump him for a proven lousy veteran who swings at everything.

drewcifer
12-04-2007, 10:51 PM
He fills a position of mediocre 5th starter. And in return, we have no one who can field the position of 3rd base.

And we have several young pitchers who could be 5th starter, while the only player we have to play CF is Jerry Owens and in LF is, well, I don't know.

You put Capuano behind Danks? Or a Gio/Floyd spot (whoever that may end up being, if either one)? You're convinced of a Contreras 3 spot? ****... not me.

And what happened to Fields? He's in LF in your mind?

Not arguing... well, first 3 questions I am, but the last is more of a statement I guess because you're right - it's up in the air.

Crede_Fan
12-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Keep it civil. There will be no more warnings in this thread.

I really feel bad for the mods/admins this week.

KRS1
12-04-2007, 10:57 PM
We traded our BEST AA hitter for Richar, but after 6 weeks in the 9 hole, I guess it's time to dump him for a proven lousy veteran who swings at everything.

Aaron only got as high as W-S with us.

Scottiehaswheels
12-04-2007, 10:58 PM
I say we belly up and sign Joe to a 2 year deal and put Josh out in left for next year... Can't be much worse that the current situation in the FA/Trade markets...

drewcifer
12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Last season we spent all offseason trading for mediocre middle relievers.
And then we're going after Chris Burke - another mediocrity. We traded our BEST AA hitter for Richar, but after 6 weeks in the 9 hole, I guess it's time to dump him for a proven lousy veteran who swings at everything.

And Garland at $12M was ABOVE MEDIOCRE??????

Rockabilly
12-04-2007, 11:04 PM
I know its a long shot but how about Crede and a prospect for Corey Hart than the sign Rowand.

Sockinchisox
12-04-2007, 11:08 PM
I know its a long shot but how about Crede and a prospect for Corey Hart than the sign Rowand.

Corey Hart was one of the players that Melvin deemed "untouchable".

Lukin13
12-04-2007, 11:12 PM

Good luck with that :)

That is a Jordan Vs. Bird, off the Empire State Building, nothing but net: McDonalds commercial longshot.

Foulke You
12-05-2007, 02:23 AM
I really feel bad for the mods/admins this week.
My thoughts exactly. This site has been a nuthouse this week.

Madvora
12-05-2007, 09:17 AM
It looks like the Brewers were also trying to get Rolen for 3B. This was last updated yesterday (12/4) though.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel suggests the biggest obstacle for the Brewers to acquire veteran 3B Scott Rolen in a trade with the Cardinals would be his medical records. Rolen has been plagued by health issues, including an ailing back and his left shoulder. Acquiring Rolen would allow the Brewers to move Ryan Braun to left, filling a void there.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

seventyseven
12-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Why the hell?

He's due.

AzureJazzMan
12-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Apparently the Brewers got sick of trying to trade for a 3rd baseman, and have offered Iguchi a 2 year deal to handle the chores...http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/12/05/iguchi-s-agent-expecting-offer-from-brewers.aspx

Nellie_Fox
12-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Apparently the Brewers got sick of trying to trade for a 3rd baseman, and have offered Iguchi a 2 year deal to handle the chores...Iguchi doesn't have the arm for third.

KRS1
12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Iguchi doesn't have the arm for third.

Indeed. I just don't see how he can stick at 3rd for a full season, but stranger things have happened(like a guy with Eckstein's arm playing SS).

Paulwny
12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Iguchi doesn't have the arm for third.

Yep, I agree, however from the link:

The interesting part of this is that Iguchi has been a second baseman only in his three years in the majors with the Chicago White Sox and Philadelphia Phillies. But he played some third base in Japan, is working out at that position now and has agreed to switch to that position if given a multi-year offer.
The Phillies are trying to keep Iguchi -- also, to play third