PDA

View Full Version : Sox considering bid for Jones

StepsInSC
12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifWhite Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said his team is considering putting in a bid for Andruw Jones.
Jones has supposedly been well down on the White Sox's list from the start, in no small part because he's represented by Scott Boras. The White Sox might as well use their Torii Hunter money to make a run at him anyway. If Jones wants to accept a shorter deal, U.S. Cellular, arguably the game's top home run park, would be a great place for him to rebuild his value.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx

gogosox16
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
They should...expecially losing out on Torri, and now Cabrera.

ShoelessJoeS
12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
They should...expecially losing out on Torri, and now Cabrera.Indeed. Acquiring Jones would look really nice right about now.

beckett21
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Once the Sox show any interest, the *insert team name here*will probably swoop in and offer him a $200 mil deal. (Half teal).

delben91
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Indeed. Acquiring Jones would look really nice right about now.

Why bother, this team has no chance until at least 2018.

ShoelessJoeS
12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Why bother, this team has no chance until at least 2018.How 'bout you just let the games play out before losing all hope???

santo=dorf
12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Why bother, this team has no chance until at least 2018.
This made me laugh really hard. I know you're not serious, but I'm sure there are some Sox fans feeling this way, and it will be the Windsock's headline for tomorrow's article.

munchman33
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
This made me laugh really hard. I know you're not serious, but I'm sure there are some Sox fans feeling this way, and it will be the Windsock's headline for tomorrow's article.

Well, I for one am seeing a very difficult road to the playoffs next year. Probably impossible, unless some real **** goes down.

delben91
12-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Glad someone got the implied teal. Windsock can write what he wants, they play the games next year regardless. And while I hate when the Sox are terrible, I still enjoy a day at the ballpark.

Someone let me know when spring training starts. :cool:

Domeshot17
12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I personally wouldnt pump the money into Jones. He is aging, on the decline, and he doesn't hit for an average. We already have a 3-4-5 of hitters who won't hit 300 but can hit dingers. We needed a high average hitter with power like Cabrera. At this point save the money for next year when we need it, there just isn't anyone worth it right now.

As mad as I am about losing Cabrera to the tigers, I think i would be more pissed if we go into panic mode thinking Andruw Jones counters the tigers move.

With Quentin Fields Richar Danks Gio we have a nice core to make a stronger run in 2009. I was so anti trading Konerko thinking we could win in 2008, but right now I wouldn't oppose dealing him for a 3-4 prospect deal if 2 were MLB ready and strong (although I still think Connor Jackson is really over rated).

gogosox16
12-04-2007, 06:07 PM
I personally wouldnt pump the money into Jones. He is aging, on the decline, and he doesn't hit for an average. We already have a 3-4-5 of hitters who won't hit 300 but can hit dingers. We needed a high average hitter with power like Cabrera. At this point save the money for next year when we need it, there just isn't anyone worth it right now.

As mad as I am about losing Cabrera to the tigers, I think i would be more pissed if we go into panic mode thinking Andruw Jones counters the tigers move.

With Quentin Fields Richar Danks Gio we have a nice core to make a stronger run in 2009. I was so anti trading Konerko thinking we could win in 2008, but right now I wouldn't oppose dealing him for a 3-4 prospect deal if 2 were MLB ready and strong (although I still think Connor Jackson is really over rated).
He had one bad year overall....now if he was having his #'s going down for a few years in a row then I would be saying no but hes only like 30 and still has 5 good solid seasons left in him.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Now the Royals seem to have interest in him. Link (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071204&content_id=2317498&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc)

If we are gonna try to get him, please don't be outbid by the Royals...

getonbckthr
12-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Go ahead KC. Sign Jones statistically he earn every dime you give him. However you still won't finish any better than 3rd and you would have wasted seasons of developement.

Domeshot17
12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Go get Fukudome. He is more of a fit for us.

I would say this no matter what, its not a down on this team, and I don't even feel like Kenny got took or screwed up or anything. The tigers had more to offer. But it doesn't change the fact we don't need a low average high power guy. We need speed and contact and OBP. We need guys who can keep the train moving. We hav 4 guys who are going to hit 25 homers already. Now we need the guys who are going to hit 300-315 around them and drive the gaps.

Sockinchisox
12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. White Sox brass is reeling today after their proposed deal for Florida third baseman Miguel Cabrera fell apart. Cabrera appears headed to Detroit. But Ken Williams said rumors that the Sox are in play for Andruw Jones are completely unfounded.

lovely.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/680585,earlysox120407.article

russ99
12-04-2007, 06:31 PM

I would say this no matter what, its not a down on this team, and I don't even feel like Kenny got took or screwed up or anything. The tigers had more to offer. But it doesn't change the fact we don't need a low average high power guy. We need speed and contact and OBP. We need guys who can keep the train moving. We hav 4 guys who are going to hit 25 homers already. Now we need the guys who are going to hit 300-315 around them and drive the gaps.

I completely agree! (except for the Fukudome part - he's not worth $10M)

The Cubs made the big splash last December and they got swept by the D-backs in the 1st round.

I'm not saying the Tigers won't be tough, but I'm not panicking about the Sox chances and neither is Kenny.

getonbckthr
12-04-2007, 06:33 PM

He is a fit for us but why waste the money and developement time?
lovely.

As much as I wanted them to get Jones all offseason after what Detroit just did, I hope we don't. Its no longer worth it.

Dub25
12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
lovely.

No surprise here, did anyone actually think Jones was coming here when SCOTT BORAS is his agent?

AJ Hellraiser
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I want no part of Andruw and if KW signs him, it's a clear sign of desperation and just wanting somebody... ANYBODY to take JR's money....

Jones brings nothing to the table.. he's coming off his worst season and is finally showing signs of age.....

He has no speed and he is exactly the kind of hitter we don't need more of.. all-or-nothing... our lineup would be no better with another HR or K guy in the middle...

I'm a huge fan of Andruw's and I am saying this.. I saw him play in Curacao when i was a kid, got his autograph and followed his career since...

But, my allegiances to the Sox run deeper than any single player and I don't want him patrolling CF for the Sox....Ironically, on July 31, 2006 I was all about bringing him aboard...

Standing Ovation
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I completely agree! (except for the Fukudome part - he's not worth $10M)

The Cubs made the big splash last December and they got swept by the D-backs in the 1st round.

I'm not saying the Tigers won't be tough, but I'm not panicking about the Sox chances and neither is Kenny.

How on God's green earth do you know if Kenny is not panicking?

Dub25
12-04-2007, 06:57 PM
How on God's green earth do you know if Kenny is not panicking?

Because he is somewhere flying under the radar while teams on the radar improve their teams.

btrain929
12-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Seems like he's been too much on the radar, and someone else is always sneaking in to take someone from under our nose. What happened to the low profile moves that nobody sees coming?

WhiteSox5187
12-04-2007, 07:11 PM
I want no part of Andruw and if KW signs him, it's a clear sign of desperation and just wanting somebody... ANYBODY to take JR's money....

Jones brings nothing to the table.. he's coming off his worst season and is finally showing signs of age.....

He has no speed and he is exactly the kind of hitter we don't need more of.. all-or-nothing... our lineup would be no better with another HR or K guy in the middle...

I'm a huge fan of Andruw's and I am saying this.. I saw him play in Curacao when i was a kid, got his autograph and followed his career since...

But, my allegiances to the Sox run deeper than any single player and I don't want him patrolling CF for the Sox....Ironically, on July 31, 2006 I was all about bringing him aboard...
I DO think that Jones has lost a step in the OF...but he COULD bounce back offensively. I don't think he's much of a base stealing threat (duh!)...Offensively I think the biggest thing we need NOW is a leadoff guy, I don't think Jones (or Rowand for that matter) fits that mold, Fukodome might. So I don't think that the leadoff spot will come from CF.

veeter
12-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Jones would be great because he's a defensive wiz. Pitching and defense is STILL going to win this thing. Andrew would really help the pitching staff, and the Sox win games.

Sockinchisox
12-04-2007, 07:33 PM
The Cubune is reporting what the Sun-Times said now, Kenny said he's looking for player to lower the Ks and raise OBP, and Jones doesn't fit that mold.

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
The Cubune is reporting what the Sun-Times said now, Kenny said he's looking for player to lower the Ks and raise OBP, and Jones doesn't fit that mold.

It's KW, I'll believe it when I see it.

veeter
12-04-2007, 07:40 PM
At this point, Kenny isn't going to say anything that's true. And I don't blame him.

Brian26
12-04-2007, 07:40 PM
I want no part of Andruw and if KW signs him, it's a clear sign of desperation and just wanting somebody... ANYBODY to take JR's money.

I agree. Kenny does well when he signs players who have something to prove, sometimes even with a chip on their shoulders. I'm not sure signing Andruw Jones to a huge contract would be the right move, especially based on how much he tends to disappear in the playoffs (2003 comes to mind against the Cubs).

santo=dorf
12-04-2007, 08:26 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/12/reverse-on-jone.html

NASHVILLE - Despite earlier comments by manager Ozzie Guillen, general manager Kenny Williams said the White Sox have no interest in free agent center fielder Andruw Jones.
"Andruw Jones is not on our list," said Williams, adding that he liked Jones but wanted players who can help lower the team's strikeout total, raise their on-base percentage and work deep counts
Looks like the "Barry/Berry" Kenny is back. :anon:

Torii Hunter (Career): 3.51 Pitches/PA, .324 OBP, Strikes out a ton
Andruw Jones (career): 3.75 pitches/PA .342 OBP, strikes out a ton

Either the Old Kenny is back, or he's a complete hypocrite.

btrain929
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/12/reverse-on-jone.html

Looks like the "Barry/Berry" Kenny is back. :anon:

Torii Hunter (Career): 3.51 Pitches/PA, .324 OBP, Strikes out a ton
Andruw Jones (career): 3.75 pitches/PA .342 OBP, strikes out a ton

Either the Old Kenny is back, or he's a complete hypocrite.

Hahaha. Great post. I should bring this up to Kenny at Soxfest to see his reaction.

"What it really cuz he doesn't go deep into counts, or because Boras is his agent?"

ShoelessJoeS
12-04-2007, 08:37 PM
At this point, Kenny isn't going to say anything that's true. And I don't blame him.KW always seems to be in deceptive-mode. But after what happened to Torii and Miguel Cabrera, I would imagine him being extra coy for the remainder of this offseason.

And like you said, I don't blame him either.

duke of dorwood
12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Is coy another word for beaten?

ShoelessJoeS
12-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Is coy another word for beaten?Beaten? Far from....

Torii Hunter at 5/75 is waaaay overpriced. Torii Hunter at 5/90 is ****in ludicrous. To say the least, the Angels overpaid for Hunter.

Miguel Cabrera for Gio, Danks, and Fields is a good deal for both sides. Cabrera + Dontrelle for Maybin, Miller, and 4 other top prospects is a good deal for both sides. Florida was simply getting more in return.

Maybe it's actually a good thing that we didn't break the bank for above-average (but not great) talent, or that we didn't gut our already pathetic farm system for a soon-to-be free agent in a couple years.... who knows? Only time will tell, but I'd say KW is far from beaten this offseason.

chisoxmike
12-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Doesn't sound good for getting Jones.

Per whitesox.com article...

Williams, in turn, stated definitively later in the day that Boras was not an overriding issue, but Jones also wasn't anywhere on the White Sox radar.
"Because of his representation, he's not automatically off the list," said Williams, carefully choosing his words when asked about a Jones-White Sox fit. "He's a lot lower -- a lot lower. He would be a lot lower, but he's not on the list. Andruw Jones is not on our list.
"Andruw Jones is a great player. For our particular situation, to deliver some of the things that I wanted to get us to, that is reducing the strikeouts and getting our guys on base more, fighting through at-bats and driving up pitch counts and getting to the underbelly of the opposing pitching staffs, in this particular case, [Jones] doesn't help us."
Bringing free agent Aaron Rowand back into the mix also doesn't seem to be the next step for Williams because of an impasse in regard to the sort of long-term deal each side desires.

DickAllen72
12-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Beaten? Far from....

Torii Hunter at 5/75 is waaaay overpriced. Torii Hunter at 5/90 is ****in ludicrous. To say the least, the Angels overpaid for Hunter.

Miguel Cabrera for Gio, Danks, and Fields is a good deal for both sides. Cabrera + Dontrelle for Maybin, Miller, and 4 other top prospects is a good deal for both sides. Florida was simply getting more in return.

Maybe it's actually a good thing that we didn't break the bank for above-average (but not great) talent, or that we didn't gut our already pathetic farm system for a soon-to-be free agent in a couple years.... who knows? Only time will tell, but I'd say KW is far from beaten this offseason.
Good post. However I would have gutted our farm system for Cabrera if the Marlins would have accepted the offer.

KW has his work cut out for him now, but I'm looking forward to see what he comes up with. My opinion is he should go out and outbid the Cubs for Fukudome, then concentrate on the pitching staff for the rest of the offseason.

Juice16
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Beaten? Far from....

We can laugh at how overpaid Hunter is and how Detroit gave up way too much as the Sox spend another year at the bottom and the Angels and Tigers are in the playoffs.

ShoelessJoeS
12-04-2007, 10:29 PM
We can laugh at how overpaid Hunter is and how Detroit gave up way too much as the Sox spend another year at the bottom and the Angels and Tigers are in the playoffs.Another year at the bottom???

How about letting the games play out.... did the Sox look like the best team on paper in 2005? Or did they look like the best team on the field?

doublem23
12-04-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't even know why they say this. When Jones inevitably signs somewhere else for too much money for too many years, there will be another 300-post thread of wimping whining about how KW "lost another player" to have to read through.

Awesome. :thumbsup:

WhiteSox5187
12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't even know why they say this. When Jones inevitably signs somewhere else for too much money for too many years, there will be another 300-post thread of wimping whining about how KW "lost another player" to have to read through.

Awesome. :thumbsup:
Right now the Sox are in the unfortunate position of having to "over pay" players if they want to land them because if we're serious and we want to win in '08 we HAVE to improve in CF and LF/leadoff and the market is becoming more and more scarce. There was a good post in another thread about how if Torii Hunter is the guy you want to build around you make an offer that STUNS him, not one that is just competitive.

The Sox right now seem to be vying more for "Most Fiscally Responsible Team Champions" than World Series Champs right now. As someone else said earlier, we might be sitting here in October pointing out how much the Tigers and Angels overpayed for Hunter, Cabrera and Willis while they battle it out for the pennant.

The off season is not over, but KW just got his ass kicked by Hunter spurning us and the Tigers landing these two guys. And if that Sun Times Article is correct it sounds like he COULD be losing the confidence of his players and that isn't good at all. That is perhaps the scariest thing in all of this, not just that the Tigers got better and we didn't land our guy, but if our players (not to mention other potential FAs) seem to doubt Kenny's desire (perhaps desire is the wrong word, ability might be the better one) to win, it's a very very very bad situtation.

Lukin13
12-04-2007, 11:12 PM
If Andruw is willing to entertain a 3 year deal for less than 55 million I think the Sox should make a play for him.

I personally prefer three years of Andruw to 5 or 6 years of Hunter or Rowand.

Up until '07 Jones was a Superstar. Tori Hunter, Aaron Rowand: never superstars.

Andruw can take a walk. Even with his flat out embarassing season last year is OBP was still equal to our current starting center fielder Jerry Owens.

Andruw is waaaay above average defensively in CF even if he has lost a step.

Andruw hit lots of home runs in a below average hr park. If healthy 30+ homers has to be a given with 40 by no means out of the question.

And finally, with a three year deal Jones would always be tradable. No matter how much he struggles he will never be too far removed from greatness to find a team to take a flier on him.

I for one am not completely sold that Jones/Boras are even listening to 3 year proposals, but if this is true I think this would/could be the best move for the Sox this offseason afterall.

Tragg
12-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Sign Fukudome. OR
Sign Jones for 2/36 or 3/54

Leave Rowand alone - we need an impact bat and he ain't it.

btrain929
12-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree we should pursue him anyways, regardless of what KW said. Usually I'm in his corner, but if he comes out and says "we're looking for someone to get on base" bla bla bla, what were u doing going after Hunter?? Like Santa=Dorf pointed out, Jones is a better player across the board then Hunter and his .324ish OBP. Hunter doesn't do anything way better than Jones that would make him that much more desirable. Why go full force after Hunter, then say Andruw isn't the player the team needs. Am I missing something?

KW, get your **** together, and fast......

DeadMoney
12-04-2007, 11:48 PM
I agree we should pursue him anyways, regardless of what KW said. Usually I'm in his corner, but if he comes out and says "we're looking for someone to get on base" bla bla bla, what were u doing going after Hunter?? Like Santa=Dorf pointed out, Jones is a better player across the board then Hunter and his .324ish OBP. Hunter doesn't do anything way better than Jones that would make him taht much more desirable. Why go full force after Hunter, then say Andruw isn't the player the team needs. Am I missing something?

KW, get your **** together, and fast......

I agree as well. KW saying "Jones isn't the type of player we're looking for" is total BS. If he actually believes what he said, then we have a really stupid GM. If he's saying it because he hates Boras and doesn't want to deal with him, then we have a really stubborn GM. Really, no matter what way I look at it doesn't paint KW in the nicest picture. The only way it's OK is if he's bluffing, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that he is.

Day after day, the frustration grows...