PDA

View Full Version : Fukudome

Pages : [1] 2

thomas35forever
12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
They were making cases for the Cubs and Sox in the Sun-Times today on why either team should have him in their outfield. What do think are his chances of winding up on the South Side?

Jimmy Piersall
12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
They were making cases for the Cubs and Sox in the Sun-Times today on why either team should have him in their outfield. What do think are his chances of winding up on the South Side?

Those ****ers will outbid us.

veeter
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Last year their #1 priority was Soriano, this year Fukadome. Hendry is ready to write as many zeros as it takes. He's good at it too, since he is one.

thomas35forever
12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Last year their #1 priority was Soriano, this year Fukadome. Hendry is ready to write as many zeros as it takes. He's good at it too, since he is one.
:kneeslap:

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM

IMO, not as good as it used to be. Since we got Quentin, who seems to be set for LF, he'd have to play CF (has he?)

chisox77
12-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Has KW watched any videos of the guy?

WhiteSox5187
12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
IMO, not as good as it used to be. Since we got Quentin, who seems to be set for LF, he'd have to play CF (has he?)
I'm not sold on Quentin as our starting LFer...I think he's just a back up guy right now. I also think unless Hendry doesn't have the budget to work with this year he did last year, he's going to wind up with the Cubs. But then again, everyone thought that Iguchi would wind up going to the Red SOx or the Yankees and that somehow fell through so Kenny was able to land him relatively cheap.

DrCrawdad
12-05-2007, 12:44 AM
It's funny contrasting the responses from Sox fans and Cubbie fans on the possibility of signing Fukudome. Sox fans seem to be dealing quite dispassionately with this Fukudome matter. On the other hand, Cubbie fans are positively apoplectic about Fukudome, especially the blog BleedCubbieBlue (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/) where there are six discussion threads about Fukudome. IF Fukudome were to sign with the Sox I think quite a few Cubbie fans heads will explode in fury and those who's heads didn't explode would be mocking and belittling the Sox for signing Fukudome.

DSpivack
12-05-2007, 01:09 AM
It's funny contrasting the responses from Sox fans and Cubbie fans on the possibility of signing Fukudome. Sox fans seem to be dealing quite dispassionately with this Fukudome matter. On the other hand, Cubbie fans are positively apoplectic about Fukudome, especially the blog BleedCubbieBlue (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/) where there are six discussion threads about Fukudome. IF Fukudome were to sign with the Sox I think quite a few Cubbie fans heads will explode in fury and those who's heads didn't explode would be mocking and belittling the Sox for signing Fukudome.

I wouldn't mind signing him, but that pretty well explains the psychology of the two fanbases.

Domeshot17
12-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I think he is a must sign at this point.

I hate to say it, because its not totally how I think, but it represents a lot of the fan base. Right now its hard to now be down. Like Orlando or not, we lost Garland which is tough until we see Cabrera flash that glove in March. We brought in a very nice young OF who the casual fan may or may not have heard of. We signed a great set up man who every media outlet thinks we overpaid for. If you sign Fukudome, its going to create that positive buzz because of the feeling we stole him from the cubs.

I know the players don't put a ton of stock into it, but It has to feel better when you play infront of fans who think you can win and are vibing and alive then playing infront of a house that assumes the season is doomed.

oeo
12-05-2007, 01:19 AM
I'd say he's our best bet right now. He's a risk, but we don't lose anything by signing him.

Unfortunately, I think we'll lose again. :(:

steely712
12-05-2007, 01:46 AM
What kind of numbers has this guy put up? What kind of player is he?

dakuda
12-05-2007, 08:33 AM

IIRC, he played center in the World Baseball Classic.

DumpJerry
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Trey Hillman, the new Manager of the Royals, just completed several years managing in Japan. Yesterday I heard on The Score he said that you don't want to sign Fukudome if you have a large Center Field in your ballpark.

While Comiskey does not have a large CF, the Sox do play 81 games in other ballparks like Comerica and Fenway which have goofy Center Fields.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Trey Hillman, the new Manager of the Royals, just completed several years managing in Japan. Yesterday I heard on The Score he said that you don't want to sign Fukudome if you have a large Center Field in your ballpark.

While Comiskey does not have a large CF, the Sox do play 81 games in other ballparks like Comerica and Fenway which have goofy Center Fields.

I wonder if that is akin to saying you don't want to put him in CF any more than you would want Carl Everett or Rob Mackowiak in CF?

soxyess
12-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I have a close friend who is a scout for the Seibu Lions. I recently had dinner with him when he was in town for Thanksgiving. His opinion of Fukudome is that in the MLB he will probably hit 280-290 OBP around 350 and hit about 20-25 HRS depending on the ballpark he plays in. He's a patient hitter who uses all fields, and he can play all three outfield positions. His defense is good not great. He feels that he is better value than Hunter.

SOXPHILE
12-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I turn off the Score from 12-2, because of the Cub loving, mealy mouthed, Wally Phillips wanna-be that's on during that time slot; However, a friend of mine who's on the road sometimes during the day visiting clients, told me that he has him on for background noise while he's driving, and every single time he's on, he devotes a segment, or at least part of a segment, talking about, fantasizing, and generally just assuming that Fukadome's gonna be playing in the ivy covered urinal next year. It must be true then.

CHIsoxNation
12-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Per Rotoworld

New York Newsday reports that Kosuke Fukudome "has narrowed his choices to the Royals and Cubs."
Take the report with a grain of salt, because the Royals previously indicated that they weren't interested in Fukudome and the Padres reportedly offered him a three-year deal Tuesday. The one thing that seems certain is that the Cubs have remained heavily interested in Fukudome from Day 1.

veeter
12-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Per RotoworldNice choices. :o:

Flight #24
12-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I eagerly await the next "I can't spend a dollar if I only have $.50" comment form Kenny. Or the "It's not going to take away from what we're trying to do". Screw that, tell me what you actually do do.

Note to Kenny: No one believes your "$.50" comment. JR authorized Torii Hunter at $15M and trading prospects for Cabrera ($8M?). That's $23M. If Fukudome or Rowand sign for much more than half of that, I'll give you a break but otherwise it looks a lot like you're just saying "He's worth X, I don't care if every other team values things higher and if ther value of other similar players is more per the market. It will correct, damn you, it WILL!"

DrCrawdad
12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
I turn off the Score from 12-2, because of the Cub loving, mealy mouthed, Wally Phillips wanna-be that's on during that time slot; However, a friend of mine who's on the road sometimes during the day visiting clients, told me that he has him on for background noise while he's driving, and every single time he's on, he devotes a segment, or at least part of a segment, talking about, fantasizing, and generally just assuming that Fukadome's gonna be playing in the ivy covered urinal next year. It must be true then.

IF it's in the best interests of the Sox, I hope the Sox sign Fukudome. And it would be so sweet to see these (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/story/2007/12/4/205835/488) hyperventilating (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/story/2007/12/2/54946/7727#commenttop) Cubbie fans commit hara-kiri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku) IF Fuku signs with the Sox.

russ99
12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Quentin is the backup, that's obvious, and a pretty decent one too. Owens and Quentin are a nice 4th and 5th OF, now we need 2 and 3.

As for Fukudome, I've seen nothing from him that leads me to believe that he's worth the 3 years at $12-17M that I've heard being tossed around. I'd rather see the Sox give that to Andruw or Rowand, guys who have proved they can hit major league pitching.

Plus all Japanese hitters and most pitchers need a year adjustment to the Majors. Ichiro's been the lone exception to that rule. I'd let the Cubs make the mistake of overpaying for the unknown...

I'd like to see the Sox go after the Cubs plan B - Raul Ibañez. He'd be a great LF, then get Coco or Rowand for CF.

I agree with the other Flight 24. If Jerry's approved cash for Hunter and Cabrera, Kenny can't cheap out on us now.

rwcescato
12-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Slim and none. Nobody is coming We arent spending any money and have no prospects for seriuos trades.

soxfan13
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Quentin is the backup, that's obvious, and a pretty decent one too. Owens and Quentin are a nice 4th and 5th OF, now we need 2 and 3.

As for Fukudome, I've seen nothing from him that leads me to believe that he's worth the 3 years at $12-17M that I've heard being tossed around. I'd rather see the Sox give that to Andruw or Rowand, guys who have proved they can hit major league pitching.

Plus all Japanese hitters and most pitchers need a year adjustment to the Majors. Ichiro's been the lone exception to that rule. I'd let the Cubs make the mistake of overpaying for the unknown...

I'd like to see the Sox go after the Cubs plan B - Raul Ibañez. He'd be a great LF, then get Coco or Rowand for CF.

I agree with the other Flight 24. If Jerry's approved cash for Hunter and Cabrera, Kenny can't cheap out on us now.

Dont seem to recall Matsui needing a year to adjust:tongue:

spiffie
12-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice choices. :o:
Who would want to go to a team that won its division last year, is bringing back all the same talent, and still has money to spend to add more talent?

The Immigrant
12-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Dont seem to recall Matsui needing a year to adjust:tongue:

I also think Tadahito had a pretty decent year in 2005.

munchman33
12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Quentin is the backup, that's obvious, and a pretty decent one too.

I don't think we acquired a mlb ready top tier prospect like Carlos Quentin so that he could ride the pine.

Sockinchisox
12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Will Carroll of BP is saying the Sox are making a last minute strong push for Fukudome.

DrCrawdad
12-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Will Carroll of BP is saying the Sox are making a last minute strong push for Fukudome.

Uh-oh, get ready for some...

http://www.monochrome.se/cob/tummar/tete.gif

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm begging the Chicago Cubs to sign Fukodome. It will enhance their chances of going to the Series thus taking away notice on our old, expensive going no where with nothing to fall back on team.

DickAllen72
12-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I'd say he's our best bet right now. He's a risk, but we don't lose anything by signing him.

The Sox should make it a priority to sign this guy at almost any price since he is only asking for a three year contract.

Fukudome CF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Quentin LF
Fields 3B
Richar 2B

After this signing, KW should concentrate on spending the rest of his trade chips on bolstering the pitching staff. The above lineup coupled with a good pitching staff would be a contender.

DickAllen72
12-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm begging the Chicago Cubs to sign Fukodome. It will enhance their chances of going to the Series thus taking away notice on our old, expensive going no where with nothing to fall back on team.
:dtroll:

russ99
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
The Sox should make it a priority to sign this guy at almost any price since he is only asking for a three year contract.

Fukudome CF
Cabrera SS
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Quentin LF
Fields 3B
Richar 2B

After this signing, KW should concentrate on spending the rest of his trade chips on bolstering the pitching staff. The above lineup coupled with a good pitching staff would be a contender.

Fukudome's not a leadoff hitter. If we're going with that team, I'd swap 1 and 2. Hopefully Kenny can get us a leadoff guy before Spring.

Also, I think getting Quentin was a really good deal, but there's no guarantee he'll be healthy for Opening day. I'd prefer the Sox get another guy for LF and let Quentin be our 4th OF for a year than take over for Dye in 2009.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm a troll because I want as little attention on this teams malfunctions as possible?

PorkChopExpress
12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
mlbtraderumors suggests that Fukudome will decide today because someone made a really big offer. Sounds like a Cubs move, but maybe Kenny is throwing money out there to prevent the Hunter fiasco again.

gogosox16
12-05-2007, 06:46 PM
mlbtraderumors suggests that Fukudome will decide today because someone made a really big offer. Sounds like a Cubs move, but maybe Kenny is throwing money out there to prevent the Hunter fiasco again.
Sox probably offered 3 years 40mill while Cubs did 3/30 and he'll take the Cubs to have the shot at getting to the World series and being on a contender:whiner:

Foulke You
12-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't count KC out of this either. They threw BIG bucks at Gil Meche last offseason when everyone thought he'd go elsewhere. They don't seem as cheap as they were in past years.

gogosox16
12-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't count KC out of this either. They threw BIG bucks at Gil Meche last offseason when everyone thought he'd go elsewhere. They don't seem as cheap as they were in past years.
Why would they spend money too? To beat the Sox out for 4th. Congrads

btrain929
12-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Well you can make the same argument for the Sox, so that doesn't hold much water. However, with this late "huge" offer, I think it has KW all over it. For once this offseason, he's gone under the radar at a big time FA. We haven't heard the Sox connected to him TOO much. Mainly the Cubs and Royals. Plus the Royals just threw abunch of money at Jose Guillen and have their eye on Andruw Jones. I think it'll be between the Cubs and Sox. It seems like the Cubs whole offseason has been to get this guy (by trading all the OF'ers), but the same can be said by the way the Sox offseason is going (finishing in 2nd place for everybody they wanted.) They might have put out the huge offer to make sure there's no doubt he signs with us. 3/42 anyone?

DickAllen72
12-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Well you can make the same argument for the Sox, so that doesn't hold much water. However, with this late "huge" offer, I think it has KW all over it. For once this offseason, he's gone under the radar at a big time FA. We haven't heard the Sox connected to him TOO much. Mainly the Cubs and Royals. Plus the Royals just threw abunch of money at Jose Guillen and have their eye on Andruw Jones. I think it'll be between the Cubs and Sox. It seems like the Cubs whole offseason has been to get this guy (by trading all the OF'ers), but the same can be said by the way the Sox offseason is going (finishing in 2nd place for everybody they wanted.) They might have put out the huge offer to make sure there's no doubt he signs with us. 3/42 anyone?

3/48 just to make sure.

btrain929
12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
3/48 just to make sure.

Hahaha yeah last thing we need is ANOTHER team that doesn't even need an OF'er (like the Angels did, so lets say the Yankees) offer 3/60. There will be some suicide attempts if it goes down like that.

This is exactly the type of player Kenny told people he wants: OBP, defensive minded, good at bats. No reason to give him an average contract or a market-reasonable contract. Go above and beyond to make sure we land him.

AzureJazzMan
12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
It wouldn't suprise me if KW is throwing money at Fukudome. It's about as splashy as it could get locally, what with the Cubs begging for him.

One of the most fun aspects of this..That is, if we blow a bunch of money here on an unproven 30+ year old outfielder...and he fails at the MLB level(god forbid)...Just think of all of the colorful terminology that could come of it, when referencing the bust.

"Kenny's (enter coloful Fukudome phrase here) Failure", or something thereof.

But, hey...If we get him, and he does great. There are fun terms for that too...

"Kenny's (colorful play on Fukudome) Awesome Acquisition", or something akin to that....

Just havin' a little fun folks....

Foulke You
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
You're right, the Sox and Royals should just forfeit the entire season.

Brian26
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I wonder if that is akin to saying you don't want to put him in CF any more than you would want Carl Everett or Rob Mackowiak in CF?

I still can't believe that Carl Everett was playing centerfield as recently as 2003.

Brian26
12-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm a troll because I want as little attention on this teams malfunctions as possible?

You were exposed last year. Keep bleeding Cubby blue.
Someone comes onto a White Sox message board and proclaims that they hope the Cubs win the World Series =:dtroll:

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
You were exposed last year. Keep bleeding Cubby blue.
Someone comes onto a White Sox message board and proclaims that they hope the Cubs win the World Series =:dtroll:
Jesus, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's not like he comes on and says "Sox suck! Go Cubs!" I think he's a legimate Sox fan who just happens to have a different theory of what the Sox should do...Let's take some deep breaths here people, the season hasn't even started yet and we want to kill each other.

Brian26
12-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Jesus, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Nope. There's a pattern that's been established over the past couple of years. It's not an isolated incident.

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Nope. There's a pattern that's been established over the past couple of years. It's not an isolated incident.
Yes I don't hate the Cubs. I wish them success. By the way i'm a Bears fan, get this, whose favorite player is Bret Favre. One step better I'm a Bulls fan but I don't hate the Pistons or Knicks (just laugh at them). I also enjoy wathing the Red Wings and i'm a BLACKHAWKS fan, OMG!!!! I should be stoned for such blasphemous decisions.

soxinem1
12-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I still can't believe that Carl Everett was playing centerfield as recently as 2003.

Why? Rob Mackowiak was playing CF as recently as 2006!!:smile::smile:

getonbckthr
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Why? Rob Mackowiak was playing CF as recently as 2006!!:smile::smile:
Don't forget Luis Terrero.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Olney just said on BBTN that the Fukudome talks are expected to "heat up" after midnight tonight and that the Cubs are the front-runner with the largest offer - Padres in second place.

Tragg
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
The Sox need to sign this guy.

I don't know what all of this cub crap is - as if that bunch is going to the WS. Go celebrate the .500 quality team, because that's what they were last year and still are.

JB98
12-05-2007, 11:59 PM
The Sox need to sign this guy.

I don't know what all of this cub crap is - as if that bunch is going to the WS. Go celebrate the .500 quality team, because that's what they were last year and still are.

We should have plenty of money to make a bid. All those dollars they were going to give to Hunter are still available.....

JB98
12-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Yes I don't hate the Cubs. I wish them success. By the way i'm a Bears fan, get this, whose favorite player is Bret Favre. One step better I'm a Bulls fan but I don't hate the Pistons or Knicks (just laugh at them). I also enjoy wathing the Red Wings and i'm a BLACKHAWKS fan, OMG!!!! I should be stoned for such blasphemous decisions.

Yes, you should. Supporting the Cubs is unforgivable for a Sox fan.

JermaineDye05
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM
We should have plenty of money to make a bid. All those dollars they were going to give to Hunter are still available.....

Yeah but god knows how much the Cubs have thrown at him already. I mean they haven't made any 'big' moves this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs have offered him something around 16 mil per.

chisoxmike
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM

:rolleyes:

Get fleeced.

JB98
12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Yeah but god knows how much the Cubs have thrown at him already. I mean they haven't made any 'big' moves this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs have offered him something around 16 mil per.

Well, at those dollars, they'll probably get him. The Sox offered Hunter $15 mil per, so they could certainly offer Fukudome $12 mil per. Right?

Would that do it? No clue. I just hope KW is going to do SOMETHING besides dumping Crede and Uribe for whatever we can get.

Walkman
12-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Jesus, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? It's not like he comes on and says "Sox suck! Go Cubs!" I think he's a legimate Sox fan who just happens to have a different theory of what the Sox should do...Let's take some deep breaths here people, the season hasn't even started yet and we want to kill each other.

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

Cubbie-sympathizing trolls be gone. Where's that picture of that chick crying with the Cub stocking hat?

ND_Sox_Fan
12-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Well, at those dollars, they'll probably get him. The Sox offered Hunter $15 mil per, so they could certainly offer Fukudome $12 mil per. Right?

Would that do it? No clue. I just hope KW is going to do SOMETHING besides dumping Crede and Uribe for whatever we can get.

The only thing that I have seen today that specified any dollar amounts said that teams were upset with the Royals for "upping" the Fukudome asking price after signing Jose Guillen to $12 million per. I would assume that Fukudome's asking price is now north of that.

JB98
12-06-2007, 12:13 AM
The only thing that I have seen today that specified any dollar amounts said that teams were upset with the Royals for "upping" the Fukudome asking price after signing Jose Guillen to $12 million per. I would assume that Fukudome's asking price is now north of that.

Yes, I saw the same report. We can only speculate about Fukudome's asking price. I do know that the Sox like the guy, so I hope KW has a seat at the table in these talks.

Tragg
12-06-2007, 12:14 AM
If he's only asking for a 3 year deal, you can go higher I would hope.
Honestly, $12 mill seems light for this guy, compared to other deals this year. But he's an unknown, too. His ML performance is all guesswork to some extent.

JB98
12-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Honestly, $12 mill seems light for this guy, compared to other deals this year. But he's an unknown, too. His ML performance is all guesswork to some extent.

And he's coming off an injury. Don't know what effect that has on the process.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 12:44 AM
The only reason I'm optimistic about KW getting him is that for other people we were after, it was pretty known that we were the front runners for a while (Hunter, Cabrera), then last second someone swept in. Now the Cubs and Padres are the lead teams for these guys. Now hopefully KW can do the sweeping in. 3/42 maybe???

rowand33
12-06-2007, 01:08 AM
The only reason I'm optimistic about KW getting him is that for other people we were after, it was pretty known that we were the front runners for a while (Hunter, Cabrera), then last second someone swept in. Now the Cubs and Padres are the lead teams for these guys. Now hopefully KW can do the sweeping in. 3/42 maybe???

I hope we're willing to go as high as 3/48. That's 16 per. vastly overpaying.

But we have to do something.

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 09:53 AM
With Jones just getting $36mil for two years, this guy's price tag just went up as did Rowand's. I agree that it is going to take about 3/48, but that makes him the highest paid player on the team and he has yet to play a game in mlb. Just seems strange to me.

Taliesinrk
12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
With Jones just getting $36mil for two years, this guy's price tag just went up as did Rowand's. I agree that it is going to take about 3/48, but that makes him the highest paid player on the team and he has yet to play a game in mlb. Just seems strange to me.

I agree. My choice would be Rowand

D. TODD
12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
The only reason I'm optimistic about KW getting him is that for other people we were after, it was pretty known that we were the front runners for a while (Hunter, Cabrera), then last second someone swept in. Now the Cubs and Padres are the lead teams for these guys. Now hopefully KW can do the sweeping in. 3/42 maybe??? I never saw us as a frontrunner for Cabrera. We were a darkhorse at best. I doubt we get Fukadome either, but I am still cautiously optimistic that Kenny will bring in a quality outfielder.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I never saw us as a frontrunner for Cabrera. We were a darkhorse at best. I doubt we get Fukadome either, but I am still cautiously optimistic that Kenny will bring in a quality outfielder.

About an hour before the Tigers acquired him, there were reports that the Sox were making a very strong push for him, and that the Sox were going to make an announcement very soon regarding Cabrera......

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 10:08 AM
About an hour before the Tigers acquired him, there were reports that the Sox were making a very strong push for him, and that the Sox were going to make an announcement very soon regarding Cabrera......

:KW
"I just wanted to remind those of you who forgot I traded for Orlando Cabrera."

StepsInSC
12-06-2007, 12:06 PM
http://eastwindupchronicle.com/?p=778

Rumors abound that the bidding price for Kosuke Fukudome has reached $15 Million, with the Cubs and White Sox front runners in the sweepstakes to acquire the Chunichi Dragons star outfielder. Carol Slezak of the Chicago Sun-Times recently interviewed ESPN Analyst Orestes Destrade (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/655747,CST-SPT-cub18.article), who had this to say about Fukudome:Fukudome will play an exceptional outfield, and he can produce offensively at the major-league level. He also has very good speed. He could steal 25-30 bases and be disruptive on the base paths. And he’ll score a lot of runs.
However, the Sox and Cubs have, er, stiff competition from the Tokyo Giants, with Fukudome declaring:
”Since I was little I’ve dreamed about the Giants,” Fukudome said after meeting with that franchise Wednesday in Tokyo. ”I felt their passion [for me].”

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
http://eastwindupchronicle.com/?p=778

Well I guess that's that then. We lose out on him. Anytime we are mentioned as frontrunners someone else gets him. :D:

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Ideally I want to see both Rowand and Fukodome signed by the Sox... they were planning on paying Torii over 17MM per year and tried to get in on Cabrera. They should have the funds to give Rowand 14 to 15 and Fukodome the same... If we don't have the budget to add those two players with the attendance the last few years, something is wrong. Hell we get 30MM from MLB every year at least.

munchman33
12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Ideally I want to see both Rowand and Fukodome signed by the Sox... they were planning on paying Torii over 17MM per year and tried to get in on Cabrera. They should have the funds to give Rowand 14 to 15 and Fukodome the same... If we don't have the budget to add those two players with the attendance the last few years, something is wrong. Hell we get 30MM from MLB every year at least.

We didn't acquire Carlos Quentin to not play him everyday. We're getting one more outfielder. Not two.

jsg-07
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
We didn't acquire Carlos Quentin to not play him everyday. We're getting one more outfielder. Not two.

Is Quentin going to be ready by opening day to play every day?? I thought (and I could be wrong) that he was coming off surgery and may not be 100% ready??

Also, the same argument could have been made for Uribe. Why sign him then trade for Cabrera? Because it is an upgrade. If we can upgrade a position and can afford it, I dont see why we would not.

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 12:21 PM

I thought we were only offering Torii 15MM per year, and now Rowand is likely to command that.

The Cubs have stated from day one that they wanted Fukudome. I find it hard to believe they will not throw the most money at him to get him.

asindc
12-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I eagerly await the next "I can't spend a dollar if I only have $.50" comment form Kenny. Or the "It's not going to take away from what we're trying to do". Screw that, tell me what you actually do do.

Note to Kenny: No one believes your "$.50" comment. JR authorized Torii Hunter at $15M and trading prospects for Cabrera ($8M?). That's $23M. If Fukudome or Rowand sign for much more than half of that, I'll give you a break but otherwise it looks a lot like you're just saying "He's worth X, I don't care if every other team values things higher and if ther value of other similar players is more per the market. It will correct, damn you, it WILL!"

Actually, I don't want KW telling you, or anyone else publicly, what he wants to do. I can live with not knowing as long as KW does not tip his hand.

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Is Quentin going to be ready by opening day to play every day?? I thought (and I could be wrong) that he was coming off surgery and may not be 100% ready??

Also, the same argument could have been made for Uribe. Why sign him then trade for Cabrera? Because it is an upgrade. If we can upgrade a position and can afford it, I dont see why we would not.

I am shy to announce Quinten is our starter... he should start out as a 4th OFer and if he is performing very well in that role and deserves a starting position then you start to think about a Dye trade at mid season or move to a platoon situation where he plays LF 1 game, RF 1 game, DH 1 game... get at bats that way. Ozzie loves to play everyone, lets make sure we have people on the bench that are going to produce. I'm sick of seeing the Cintron's, Terrero's etc... I want to see Quentin, Uribe, etc playing as back ups!

twentywontowin
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Thing I have been wondering: If we still had Iguchi on the team, do you think it would have helped get Fukudome here?

He'd have another guy on the team he could relate to, and it could be a big help playing in a new place.

Just a thought.

munchman33
12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I am shy to announce Quinten is our starter... he should start out as a 4th OFer and if he is performing very well in that role and deserves a starting position then you start to think about a Dye trade at mid season or move to a platoon situation where he plays LF 1 game, RF 1 game, DH 1 game... get at bats that way. Ozzie loves to play everyone, lets make sure we have people on the bench that are going to produce. I'm sick of seeing the Cintron's, Terrero's etc... I want to see Quentin, Uribe, etc playing as back ups!

Quentin has too much talent to not be starting, if he's healthy. He might be our best outfielder right now, depending on which Jermaine Dye shows up.

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Quentin has too much talent to not be starting, if he's healthy. He might be our best outfielder right now, depending on which Jermaine Dye shows up.

I don't want to go through another year of Erstad, Pods, etc... if he's not an almost guarantee not to be healthly we need to have another person start the year there, and Quentin needs to prove himself first!!!!

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2007, 12:32 PM
If we sign both Fukodome and Rowand here is what a line-up looks like:

1. Fukodome LF
2. Cabrera SS
3. Thome DH
4. Konerko 1B
5. Dye RF
6. Rowand CF
7. Fields 3B
8. Pierzynski C
9. Richar 2B

Looks like good speed and good defense... if Quentin is in the line-up he can replace Thome against LH pitchers, put Dye at DH and Q in RF... Sometimes Q can give Dye a rest and keep him healthy.

IMHO you're looking at a much better team with both these guys starting and Q on the bench as a super sub! I believe we could compete with the Tigers with this line-up... we still need 1 more above average starter to go with Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Contreras...

munchman33
12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't want to go through another year of Erstad, Pods, etc... if he's not an almost guarantee not to be healthly we need to have another person start the year there, and Quentin needs to prove himself first!!!!

So we should sign someone long term at CF and LF for big dollars? Then why the heck did we even acquire Quentin?

Quentin came here because he's going to play. If there's a contingency plan, it's for Quentin. Quentin is not the contingency plan. He is plan A, left field.

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 12:42 PM
So we should sign someone long term at CF and LF for big dollars? Then why the heck did we even acquire Quentin?

Quentin came here because he's going to play. If there's a contingency plan, it's for Quentin. Quentin is not the contingency plan. He is plan A, left field.

Quentin would make a great 4th OF next year and can back up JD if/when he goes down with injury and after his contract expires.

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Why is that a bad thing? We would have Fukodome and Rowand locked up for 3 - 5 years... we have an aging RF that needs to be replaces very soon, Quentin would fill that role, along with playing during injuries, days off until he becomes the replacement for Dye... I see nothing wrong with giving Quentin 300 AB this year in that role... Hell, maybe Fukodome stinks... then we have Quentin to replace him... We have to be more prepared than we were last year. We were counting on Pods and Erstad and couldn't count on either of them. Had we had a Quentin on the bench to replace in for injury, we don't lose 90 games!

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Quentin would make a great 4th OF next year and can back up JD if/when he goes down with injury and after his contract expires.

My point exactly! When has Quentin showed anyone at the ML level he is ready to start 150 games??? He has the talent... hell BA has the talent...

Don't get me wrong... i love the Quentin trade... but I don't want to put him as the starter until he proves he's ready.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 12:44 PM

Exactly. ESPECIALLY since we gave up Chris Carter, possibly our best positional prospect, for him. Same thing with Richar. We gave up Aaron Cunningham for him. I don't know why people think we should look to upgrade at 2b. Let them play.

JohnTucker0814
12-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Exactly. ESPECIALLY since we gave up Chris Carter, possibly our best positional prospect, for him. Same thing with Richar. We gave up Aaron Cunningham for him. I don't know why people think we should look to upgrade at 2b. Let them play.

He IS GOING TO PLAY as the 4th OFer... do you guys realize that Ozzie puts a different line-up on the field on a daily basis... regardless if you start opening day in LF or not... you may get a lot of at bats... Can we count on Dye to stay healthy all year? What are you going to do when Dye goes on teh 15 day dl... bring up Andy Gonzalez... LUis Terrero... why not have Quentin there and fill that starter role and bring up a Gonzalez, Terrero to be the 4th OFer!!!!

I don't get why some people don't want to improve the team... just because Quentin looks like he could be great... why not get someone that can help us win this year!

btrain929
12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
He IS GOING TO PLAY as the 4th OFer... do you guys realize that Ozzie puts a different line-up on the field on a daily basis... regardless if you start opening day in LF or not... you may get a lot of at bats... Can we count on Dye to stay healthy all year? What are you going to do when Dye goes on teh 15 day dl... bring up Andy Gonzalez... LUis Terrero... why not have Quentin there and fill that starter role and bring up a Gonzalez, Terrero to be the 4th OFer!!!!

I don't get why some people don't want to improve the team... just because Quentin looks like he could be great... why not get someone that can help us win this year!

If he plays every day, he'll help us win. The WORST thing you could do is make him a 4th OF'er and give him inconsistent playing time. If we wanted a 4th OF'er, then we'd sign Luis Gonzalez, not trade our best positional prospect for him.

Craig Grebeck
12-06-2007, 12:52 PM
It is extremely difficult, short sighted, and flat out stupid to expect a young player to earn playing time by being a fourth OF. He needs ABs. If he has the talent (which he does), let him prove himself when he's playing everyday.

Gammons Peter
12-06-2007, 01:08 PM

If Kenny would have acquired Torii and Miggy (the 23M you speak of) he would have moved a big salary or two (Crede, Konerko,,,)

munchman33
12-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Jermaine Dye didn't resign her to sit for a rookie. Aaron Rowand isn't going to sign here to sit for a rookie. And a stud prospect like Quentin, who's used to playing, isn't going to be happy sitting on the bench either. You have all the makings of a very volatile clubhouse.

Rocky Soprano
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I have no problem with Quentin as our starting LF.
I truly believe he is going to be great.

I would have a problem with Owens being our starting CF.

At this point, as much as most of us dont like it, Kenny HAS to sign Rowand.
I would like Fukudome, but he's not a CF, is he?

munchman33
12-06-2007, 01:14 PM

I would have a problem with Owens being our starting CF.

At this point, as much as most of us dont like it, Kenny HAS to sign Rowand.
I would like Fukudome, but he's not a CF, is he?

He has played center. He's more of a RF. But he can cover ground and has a good arm. He'd be more than adequate defensively in center.

Rocky Soprano
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
He has played center. He's more of a RF. But he can cover ground and has a good arm. He'd be more than adequate defensively in center.

Thanks for the info Munchie.

popilius
12-06-2007, 01:36 PM

About Quentin: Didn't see that there was much conversation about this, but I read that Arizona didn't expect to be healthy enough to play until after the start of the season (meaning, of course, he'd miss spring training). He had shoulder surgery on October 12th.

Just wondering how this would play into how Guillen and KW see Quentin's role at the start of the season. I would not be against Quentin starting in LF, but the fact that he might not be healthy until April or May would be concerning.

Here's the link: http://www.rototimes.com/mlb/player/5178

champagne030
12-06-2007, 01:44 PM

And you know this how? There's plenty of publications out there that are questioning whether he can really handle CF at this level. I've seen an analogy to Soriano in the OF and I wouldn't want that player anywhere near CF.

Lukin13
12-06-2007, 02:03 PM
It is extremely difficult, short sighted, and flat out stupid to expect a young player to earn playing time by being a fourth OF. He needs ABs. If he has the talent (which he does), let him prove himself when he's playing everyday.

Tell that to Ozzie. Our opening day 4th outfielder will get 400 ABs this year between "Ozzie Sundays" and injuries. Possibly even more if we hold onto Crede and Fields is starting in left.

munchman33
12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
And you know this how? There's plenty of publications out there that are questioning whether he can really handle CF at this level. I've seen an analogy to Soriano in the OF and I wouldn't want that player anywhere near CF.

Because I watched every game Japan played in the WBC. And he played CF everygame. And did a damn fine job.

champagne030
12-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Because I watched every game Japan played in the WBC. And he played CF everygame. And did a damn fine job.

He did not play CF in the championship game. He was benched the final two games and pinch-hit in both. The first game he remained in the game in CF and the championship game he played LF after pinch-hitting. So, if we can assume from his 6 starts in the WBC that he's fine in the field, what do we do about the fact he batted a .180?

Look, I wouldn't mind having the guy, but there's plenty of people questioning whether he can play CF. He came up a SS and sucked, was moved to 3rd and sucked, was moved to RF (where he remained) and was considered excellent. Prior to elbow surgery this past August, he had a very strong arm. He does have decent speed, so maybe he could learn to adjust to CF.

chaerulez
12-06-2007, 03:12 PM
He did not play CF in the championship game. He was benched the final two games and pinch-hit in both. The first game he remained in the game in CF and the championship game he played LF after pinch-hitting. So, if we can assume from his 6 starts in the WBC that he's fine in the field, what do we do about the fact he batted a .180?

Look, I wouldn't mind having the guy, but there's plenty of people questioning whether he can play CF. He came up a SS and sucked, was moved to 3rd and sucked, was moved to RF (where he remained) and was considered excellent. Prior to elbow surgery this past August, he had a very strong arm. He does have decent speed, so maybe he could learn to adjust to CF.

You really think the fact that he batted .180 in the WBC means much? It was a glorified exhibition game and he probabaly had 25 at bats or so? That's a pretty small sample size. He was a few at bats from hitting .320

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 03:22 PM
You really think the fact that he batted .180 in the WBC means much? It was a glorified exhibition game and he probabaly had 25 at bats or so? That's a pretty small sample size. He was a few at bats from hitting .320

I think he was comparing it to someone else's comment that he could play CF based on the same small sample size.

munchman33
12-06-2007, 03:25 PM

What he batted in the WBC is irrelevant because of sample size.

What we can gather was that he was able to move quickly to the ball, showed good instincts in the outfield, and a cannon.

If you want to say he might not have a great arm because of surgery, well okay. But he certainly has shown in his time playing center that he can move and adjust appropriately for the position.

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2007, 03:52 PM

MLBTraderumors says the Cubs are willing to go $12-15mil per year. The question now is whether KW is willing to match that. It seems like KW is having a hard enough time giving that kind of money to Rowand, a known commodity. I find it hard to believe that he would give that money to an unknown commodity.

Madvora
12-06-2007, 03:54 PM
So is this guy a lead off hitter? I don't know if that's been discussed yet.

The Immigrant
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I find it hard to believe that he would give that money to an unknown commodity.

Nor should he. Fukudome's closest comparison is Iwamura, who went from hitting 44 HR in Japan to hitting 7 in MLB. There's no guarantee that Fukudome's success in Japan will translate to the U.S., which is why it would be crazy to take a $50 million gamble on him. We took a gamble on Iguchi but were only on the hook for $5 million over 2 years.

oeo
12-06-2007, 03:58 PM
So is this guy a lead off hitter? I don't know if that's been discussed yet.

I don't know that anyone knows where he would hit in a lineup over here. Remember, Iguchi was a middle of the order hitter in Japan, but was best suited in the 2-hole over here.

He gets on base, and apparently can steal you some bags so he has some speed. I guess it would be worth a try.

Madvora
12-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't know that anyone knows where he would hit in a lineup over here. Remember, Iguchi was a middle of the order hitter in Japan, but was best suited in the 2-hole over here.

He gets on base, and apparently can steal you some bags so he has some speed. I guess it would be worth a try.
Well did he lead off over there?
What are MLB teams talking about doing with him? What would the Sox do with him? They need a lead off hitter, would they go after him because he'd lead off, or just to play the outfield?

oeo
12-06-2007, 04:04 PM

I don't think he did...he was a middle of the order power hitter. But power in Japan does not translate here (just look to Matsui, Iguchi, and most recently, Iwamura for examples of that), so I'm really doubting the people that say he could eventually be a #3 hitter.

What are MLB teams talking about doing with him? What would the Sox do with him? They need a lead off hitter, would they go after him because he'd lead off?I don't know what the Sox would do with him (it really depends on what the rest of the team looks like), but it seems like most teams would put him at 5, 6, or 7 in the lineup.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 04:04 PM
What are MLB teams talking about doing with him? What would the Sox do with him? They need a lead off hitter, would they go after him because he'd lead off, or just to play the outfield?

If we got Fukudome and he was the last offensive starter addition, 1-2 would have to be Cabrera/Fukudome, in any particular order. Fukudome might leadoff because Cabrera is best at the 2 whole and Thome is our 3 hitter, so it'd go L-R-L-R etc. But that's just pure speculation on my part.

Madvora
12-06-2007, 04:12 PM
That's interesting to hear because I thought we were going after this guy as the solution to our leadoff/outfielder dilemma.
We'll see how this ends up I guess. I wonder if things are really going to slow down now that the meetings are over.

oeo
12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
That's interesting to hear because I thought we were going after this guy as the solution to our leadoff/outfielder dilemma.
We'll see how this ends up I guess. I wonder if things are really going to slow down now that the meetings are over.

The thing is, no one really knows what kind of player he will be here. It seems like every guy is different when coming over here. One thing that looks certain, is that power numbers will drop...but you don't even know how much. Akinori Iwamura hit 44 homeruns a couple years ago in Japan, and hit 7 this year with Tampa Bay. Then there's HIdeki Matsui, who saw a drop, but not nearly as much as Iwamura.

We'd have to find out what kind of player he is over here. I personally think he'd be better suited at the top of the order because history shows that he will not hit for a ton of power over here. And since they apparently do not steal a lot of bases in Japan, he may be able to rack up more than the 10 or so that he usually does.

Sockinchisox
12-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I dunno if this guy would be worth 15 mil a season if his best comparison is Iwamura who is worth 7 mil a season.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I dunno if this guy would be worth 15 mil a season if his best comparison is Iwamura who is worth 7 mil a season.

Iwamura was hurt, too, during the season.

The Immigrant
12-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Iwamura's contract is $7.7 million over 3 seasons. He'll make $2.4 million next year.

Here's a comparison of his and Fukudome's numbers during their respective last seasons in Japan:

Fukudome: .294/.443/.520
Iwamura: .311/.389/.544

Iwamura went on to hit .285/.359/.411 with Tampa, with only 7 HR and 34 RBI. Now, I don't think that Iwamura is a bad player by any means, nor do I think that Fukudome will be a flop in MLB. But I do think that his production in the U.S. is more likely to match Iwamura's than Matsui's, and giving him $12-$15 million/year is a rather risky gamble to make.

Rockabilly
12-07-2007, 03:17 PM
It's official: Japanese outfielder Kosuke Fukudome will play in the majors next season.

Fukudome, 30, is set to announce that he is leaving Japan, the first step toward him signing a free-agent contract with a major-league club.

His decision on whether to join the Cubs, Padres or an unidentified third finalist might come as soon as late Friday night or early Saturday, sources say. The Rangers, White Sox and Giants are among the other teams that have shown interest in Fukudome, a player whom major-league scouts frequently compare to Raul Ibanez.

btrain929
12-07-2007, 04:01 PM
It's official: Japanese outfielder Kosuke Fukudome will play in the majors next season.

Fukudome, 30, is set to announce that he is leaving Japan, the first step toward him signing a free-agent contract with a major-league club.

His decision on whether to join the Cubs, Padres or an unidentified third finalist might come as soon as late Friday night or early Saturday, sources say. The Rangers, White Sox and Giants are among the other teams that have shown interest in Fukudome, a player whom major-league scouts frequently compare to Raul Ibanez.

I don't doubt you at all cuz I've heard the same thing, but, source??

Nevermind. Found it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7537414

JermaineDye05
12-07-2007, 04:29 PM

My guess is he's going to the Cubs. I'll be surprised if his contract isn't over $12 million per year.

ilsox7
12-07-2007, 04:34 PM
My guess is he's going to the Cubs. I'll be surprised if his contract isn't over $12 million per year.

I'm having sushi with him at Ringo tonight right after my tea time with Rowand. I'll report back afterwards.

rowand33
12-07-2007, 04:40 PM
If he really compares to Raul Ibanez and we sign him, Hawk might have an orgasm-enduced heart attack next year.

soxyess
12-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Anyone else annoyed at Paul Sullivans' portrayal of the Fukodome situation basically saying that " nobody will get into a bidding war with the Cubs for his services" Since when did the Cubs become the Yankees. Its going to suck if they sign him.

Sockinchisox
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Anyone else annoyed at Paul Sullivans' portrayal of the Fukodome situation basically saying that " nobody will get into a bidding war with the Cubs for his services" Since when did the Cubs become the Yankees. Its going to suck if they sign him.

I really wouldn't be that worried, because if we signed him and he was a bust we'd be hearing lots and lots of "The Cubs were smart enough not to sign him and let him go to the Sox".

thedudeabides
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Get prepared for it, I can't see him coming to the Sox.

Ibanez seems like an odd comparison considering he's not much for speed or defense. Anyway, it seems weird how everyone is going to be bumbed when we don't get him and none of us has even seen him play. I think I'll be indifferent no matter how this shakes out.

rowand33
12-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Get prepared for it, I can't see him coming to the Sox.

Ibanez seems like an odd comparison considering he's not much for speed or defense. Anyway, it seems weird how everyone is going to be bumbed when we don't get him and none of us has even seen him play. I think I'll be indifferent no matter how this shakes out.

I want him bad.

Apparently, I really like Japanese position players.

Hopefully, Gooch called and put in a good word for us.

thedudeabides
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I want him bad.

Apparently, I really like Japanese position players.

Hopefully, Gooch called and put in a good word for us.'

Don't forget Shingo. (Every time I say his name a gong goes off in my head. Is that weird?)

rowand33
12-07-2007, 05:05 PM
'

Don't forget Shingo. (Every time I say his name a gong goes off in my head. Is that weird?)

Shingo in 04 was so awesome. Some of my best recent memories of Sox games are being at games where Shingo came out in the 9th with the gong banging over that crappy japaneses techno.

DickAllen72
12-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I hope Fukudome winds up on the Sox.

If he doesn't, I certainly hope it's because someone offered him a ridiculous contract ala the Angels with Hunter. If he signs for anywhere under say $16Mper year for 3 or 4 years, it better be with the White sox.

Lorenzo Barcelo
12-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Shingo in 04 was so awesome. Some of my best recent memories of Sox games are being at games where Shingo came out in the 9th with the gong banging over that crappy japaneses techno.

Shingo's theme song was actually music from Academy Award winning movie Speed 2.

rowand33
12-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Do we have any idea when the announcement is supposed to be?

Sockinchisox
12-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Do we have any idea when the announcement is supposed to be?

It might not be anytime soon anymore.

Agent Joe Urbon said there was no truth to the report that Kosuke Fukudome was set to announce his intention to play in the U.S.
That was reported by FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal earlier in the day. It's still expected that Fukudome will play in the U.S., but Urbon indicated that he's a few days away from choosing his new team.
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/weblog/2007/12/fukudome_timetable.html)
Related: Cubs (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=CHC), Padres (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=SD)

rotoworld

JB98
12-07-2007, 07:53 PM

Don't listen to Paul Sullivan. He bleeds Cubbie Blue. For two years, Sully reported that Carlos Lee was counting the days until free agency, so that he could sign with the Cubs and "get back at" Ozzie and KW.

Caballo, of course, signed with the Astros.

DumpJerry
12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Channel 5 reported last night it's probably down to the Padres and Cubs.

If he watches The Weather Channel today (or any day between now and March 31st), the Padres become a no-brainer.

Pasqua's Mailman
12-08-2007, 09:52 AM

This may true but I doubt that Channel 5 is airing any original reporting on this... they probably got it from the internet and/or newspaper reports... when was the last time a TV sports guy did their own reporting? 1979?

thedudeabides
12-08-2007, 10:04 AM

If he watches The Weather Channel today (or any day between now and March 31st), the Padres become a no-brainer.

Maybe he is from the mountains and likes snow. Besides it's always nice in San Diego, isn't that predictability boring?

I think I have a weak argument.

SoxxoS
12-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Maybe he is from the mountains and likes snow. Besides it's always nice in San Diego, isn't that predictability boring?

I think I have a weak argument.

Kind of off topic, but sunny and 72 degrees is predictably boring? I guess its that argument "if everyone else is a millionaire, are you rich? Or are you "rich" b/c there are lower income levels than you?"
B/c the poor have things the kings in the mid century and on could only dream about.

You appreciate the summers THAT much more in Chicago then most other climates like San Diego, do.

To me, who has lived in Arizona for 4 years in college, and live back here now - Predictably sunny and nice out is A-OK with me, and never really got boring. I would still get PO'd if it rained in AZ (mostly b/c all the drivers think its acid rain and is going to melt their cars, apparently). :cool:

DumpJerry
12-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I guess I should have used teal.:rolleyes:

Fantosme
12-09-2007, 05:19 AM
Fukudome has officially decided to play in the US

per Rotoworld

goon
12-09-2007, 05:45 AM
It's go time!

btrain929
12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
His agent DID say that after he decided where he'll play (Japan or the U.S), that if it was the U.S, the team he'd play for would come quickly thereafter. My guess is it's announced by Wednesday. C'mon KW, sell the southside to Fukudome........somehow :(:

Rockabilly
12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
In other developments, the Padres were still waiting to learn the outcome of their bids for outfielders Milton Bradley and Kosuke Fukudome. Fukudome reportedly has decided not to play for the Yomiuri Giants and has narrowed his choice to the Padres, Cubs and White Sox.

source San Diego Trib

RowanDye
12-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have any details about Fukodome's elbow surgery and recovery?

I heard it was endoscopic surgery on his right (non-throwing?) elbow to remove bone chips.

Does anyone have any idea how this might affect his swing?

oeo
12-09-2007, 12:58 PM
In other developments, the Padres were still waiting to learn the outcome of their bids for outfielders Milton Bradley and Kosuke Fukudome. Fukudome reportedly has decided not to play for the Yomiuri Giants and has narrowed his choice to the Padres, Cubs and White Sox.

source San Diego Trib

Since we're one of the finalists...Kenny just needs to offer more than the Padres (shouldn't be too difficult), and let Fukodome know what hell the Cub organization is, and he'll be wearing silver and black.

JermaineDye05
12-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Since we're one of the finalists...Kenny just needs to offer more than the Padres (shouldn't be too difficult), and let Fukodome know what hell the Cub organization is, and he'll be wearing silver and black.

Just show him video of the 07 playoffs :D:.

And maybe show him a bit of the trash throwing the Wrigley fans are prone to :D:.

JermaineDye05
12-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Just out of curiosity if we do get him and he proves to be pretty damn good, what will our chant for him be?

FUUUUUUUUUUUK?

Martinigirl
12-09-2007, 01:17 PM
How do you actually pronounce his name. It can't possible pronounced the way it looks, can it?

JermaineDye05
12-09-2007, 01:51 PM
How do you actually pronounce his name. It can't possible pronounced the way it looks, can it?

Foo-kuh-Doh-May

Martinigirl
12-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Thank you :smile:

WhiteSox5187
12-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm glad to see we are the finalists however we're going to have to dole out some big time money to this guy to keep him away from the Cubs, but as mentioned in another thread hopefully if he tours the ballparks he might shrudder at Wrigley and also the fact that the White Sox have had two other guys come over from Japan and do quite well for themselves (though sadly Shingo didn't last as long) might help too.

DickAllen72
12-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm glad to see we are the finalists however we're going to have to dole out some big time money to this guy to keep him away from the Cubs, but as mentioned in another thread hopefully if he tours the ballparks he might shrudder at Wrigley and also the fact that the White Sox have had two other guys come over from Japan and do quite well for themselves (though sadly Shingo didn't last as long) might help too.
If the Cubs decide to offer Fukudome a ridiculous contract like the Angels did to Hunter, there's nothing the Sox can do.

But there is no way that the Sox should allow this guy to get away to another team for a reasonable offer. If Fukudome signs elsewhere, it better be because someone is giving him at least $16M for at least 4 years, or something like that.

johnny_mostil
12-09-2007, 03:45 PM
But there is no way that the Sox should allow this guy to get away to another team for a reasonable offer. If Fukudome signs elsewhere, it better be because someone is giving him at least $16M for at least 4 years, or something like that.

What if Fukudome isn't really a CF? Let's say he has to move to right in a couple of years. His hitting will look a lot weaker then... I'm worried that fans are over-projecting this guy.

RowanDye
12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
What if Fukudome isn't really a CF? Let's say he has to move to right in a couple of years. His hitting will look a lot weaker then... I'm worried that fans are over-projecting this guy.

You may be right, but I don't think KW should really worry too much about what this guy is going to be after 2-3 years.

If the price is right, his game sounds like exactly what the team needs.

Zisk77
12-09-2007, 07:37 PM

I know how it will be be pronunced the first time he whiffs with the bases loaded or drops a fly ball :cool:

WhiteSox5187
12-09-2007, 07:57 PM
You may be right, but I don't think KW should really worry too much about what this guy is going to be after 2-3 years.

If the price is right, his game sounds like exactly what the team needs.
What is his game? I've heard he's a good (but unorthodox) leadoff hitter but I've also heard he'd be better hitting three...I know this isn't going to happen, but ideally I'd like to see Fukodome in left and Rowand in center.

PKalltheway
12-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Let's do it. Go for it Kenny!

Lillian
12-09-2007, 11:13 PM
It has probably already been mentioned, but there is one big benefit to selecting him to fill our CF opening. We can be certain that he won´t be in the Mitchell Report. Maybe that´s worth a substantial premium.

btrain929
12-09-2007, 11:26 PM

He's not requesting a 6 year deal. All reports are that he wants a 3 year deal, no more no less. If he has to move to right in a couple years, it'll most likely be the last year of his contract. But I don't think it would come to that. Either way, he has experience in CF (its not a move like throwing Josh Fields in LF) and would be the biggest upgrade to our OF that is currently on the FA market.

Fantosme
12-09-2007, 11:27 PM

source San Diego Trib

I just read that article, and it makes no mention of the Sox. Only the Cubs and Padres. So where is this Sox are finalists information coming from?

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2007, 02:17 AM
I just read that article, and it makes no mention of the Sox. Only the Cubs and Padres. So where is this Sox are finalists information coming from?
Phil Rogers had it there today...I've also read that on MLB.com and a couple of other places.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-10-2007, 02:24 AM
(Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071209&content_id=2321824&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp) to story I'm quoting)

I present to you the first piece of evidence...

Several teams are bidding for Fukudome, and Urbon said he sent details to the outfielder on Thursday. The Cubs are one of the teams, as are the crosstown White Sox. Other teams believed to be courting Fukudome include the Padres and the Giants.

I present to you my second piece of evidence...

If Fukudome decides to come to the U.S., Urbon was not sure whether the outfielder would need to tour the Major League stadiums, but said the teams involved know that is a possibility.

...if he tours these ballparks he's clearly going to be looking at which one is the most hitter friendly, specifically to left-handed hitters who have above average pop (as he does). That immediately rules out the Giants and Padres and narrows it down to The Cell or The Urinal.
Urinal: 400' to dead center, 368' to right-center, and 353' to straight-away right.
Cell: 400' to dead center, 375' to right center, and 335' to straigh-away right.
Take into effect just how hitter friendly U.S. Cellular is throughout the baseball season (and not just when the wind is blowing out). Hmmmm.... which ballpark do you think he'll be interested in the most?

My third piece of evidence: the White sox have had very good relations with Japanese players signing two of the more popular imports in the last four seasons (Shingo Takastu and Tadahito Iguchi).

My final piece of evidence: Kenny Williams looks like crap after whiffing on Torii Hunter and Miguel Cabrera. He needs this guy much worse than the Cubs, Padres, AND Giants.

I say the chances of the four teams involved of signing him: White Sox 40%, Cubs 35%, Padres 15%, Giants 10%. Oh, and the Angels' chances are 100% because they're going to come in and offer him 5 years, $75 million when everyone else is offering 4 years $40-$44 million.

ChiSoxPatF
12-10-2007, 04:19 AM
Is anyone else as concerned as I am about committing $10-13 mil/year on a guy you've never seen hit in the major leagues? At least Tadahito was relatively cheap when we signed him....

WSox597
12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
The numbers that should be shown to Fukudome-san are these:

That might make up his mind.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2007, 08:03 AM
some good points, although try not to be too upset if he signs with the cubs. I have a feeling this is the one guy Hendry wants to sign this offseason, and if he has to give him a Soriano-like contract to sign him he might just do that.

Rockabilly
12-10-2007, 08:08 AM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20071209-9999-1s9padres.html

Sockinchisox
12-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Words don't mean anything, The Cubs have targeted Fukudome from day one, they will do w/e it takes to get him. The only shot we have is if he thinks the south side is the right side for him.

hi im skot
12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Torii Hunter is all but guaranteed to sign with the White Sox, too.

Madvora
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Keep in mind that KW also likes to pout and complain when market prices go up for players. If the bidding for this player goes up too much, KW won't overpay, these other teams might.

Gammons Peter
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Is anyone else as concerned as I am about committing $10-13 mil/year on a guy you've never seen hit in the major leagues? At least Tadahito was relatively cheap when we signed him....

The Sox should make sure that you have seen the players that they want to sign with your money

btrain929
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM

No, because I'm not committing that money to him. The White Sox would be, and THEY have had people that watched him and seen him play. Fukudome in CF at 13 mil per is a better risk than any trade we'd have to make for any other CF. We're not giving up players for a CF, creating more holes....

twsoxfan5
12-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Words don't mean anything, The Cubs have targeted Fukudome from day one, they will do w/e it takes to get him. The only shot we have is if he thinks the south side is the right side for him.

I agree with this 100 percent. The Cubs have made it known they want this guy and I would be suprised if they dont get him. Hendry will pay whatever he needs to get a guy. Kenny and Jerry use a little more common sense when it comes to years and money. I bet some Cub fans wish Hendry used more common sense and i bet we wished Kenny/Jerry used less some of the time.

The Immigrant
12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
The Rangers just signed Milton Bradley to a one-year deal, which means that the Padres need to make a strong push for Fukudome. The way I see this shaping up is that either the Cubs or the Padres will lose out on Fukudome and will then turn to Rowand as the best remaining option. If it's the Padres, Mike Cameron could probably be signed on the cheap.

russ99
12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I agree with this 100 percent. The Cubs have made it known they want this guy and I would be suprised if they dont get him. Hendry will pay whatever he needs to get a guy. Kenny and Jerry use a little more common sense when it comes to years and money. I bet some Cub fans wish Hendry used more common sense and i bet we wished Kenny/Jerry used less some of the time.

I don't understand this sentiment among fans or sportswriters. It's a free market, and being so, there's no reason to assume the Cubs will "Do whatever it takes" or whatever garbage the Cubune is spewing forth to try and keep the market price down.

To me it seems the Cubs are lowballing him at $10-12M with the added incentive of extra years. I think the Padres and Sox, and any other interested team may have a chance by offering more (say $15M) and 3 years, as if Fukudome breaks out he could make a lot more (like Ichiro) in 3 years rather than being locked in cheaply for 5-6, like the Cubs want to do.

He's not signed until he's signed, and this assumption that the Cubs have a monopoly on signing him is ridiculous.

russ99
12-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Phil Rogers had it there today...I've also read that on MLB.com and a couple of other places.

Oh yeah, Phil Rogers. That unbiased source of information that just coincidentally happens to be hired by one of the bidders for Fukudome...

skottyj242
12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Why would the Giants be immediately ruled out? Wouldn't they be looking to replace a left handed slugger with some pop?

dickallen15
12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I think the biggest factor will be who will give him the biggest check.

veeter
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
The thing with Fukudome is, he only wants three years. So, matching years won't be a problem. Deep down I want Rowand because you know what he brings. This guy could be like Hideki Matsui, or like Kaz Matsui, who knows. It would be fun though, to get him, just to spite the stupid cubs. But if we don't get him, no hope is lost for me.

hi im skot
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
The thing with Fukudome is, he only wants three years. So, matching years won't be a problem. Deep down I want Rowand because you know what he brings. This guy could be like Hideki Matsui, or like Kaz Matsui, who knows. It would be fun though, to get him, just to spite the stupid cubs. But if we don't get him, no hope is lost for me.

I'm glad you're not the GM.

veeter
12-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm glad you're not the GM.Obviously with the knowledge he can play. Take it easy smart guy.

hi im skot
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Obviously with the knowledge he can play. Take it easy smart guy.

Of course. I think Fukudome might end up being a solid player and hope that he signs with the Sox. That being said, I think it's silly to use the "let's piss off the Cubs/Cub fans" as motivation.

veeter
12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Of course. I think Fukudome might end up being a solid player and hope that he signs with the Sox. That being said, I think it's silly to use the "let's piss off the Cubs/Cub fans" as motivation.That would just be icing on the cake. And it would just be MY motivation, certainly not Kenny's. And he's the one making the moves.

KyWhiSoxFan
12-10-2007, 10:37 AM

If the Cubs sign him, it's pronounced ***-u

spawn
12-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I just hope that when the Sox don't win his services, people here and in the media don't start *****ing about KW losing out on another FA...but I know they will. :tongue:

hi im skot
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
That would just be icing on the cake. And it would just be MY motivation, certainly not Kenny's. And he's the one making the moves.

Fair enough. :cool:

chaerulez
12-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't understand this sentiment among fans or sportswriters. It's a free market, and being so, there's no reason to assume the Cubs will "Do whatever it takes" or whatever garbage the Cubune is spewing forth to try and keep the market price down.

To me it seems the Cubs are lowballing him at $10-12M with the added incentive of extra years. I think the Padres and Sox, and any other interested team may have a chance by offering more (say $15M) and 3 years, as if Fukudome breaks out he could make a lot more (like Ichiro) in 3 years rather than being locked in cheaply for 5-6, like the Cubs want to do.

He's not signed until he's signed, and this assumption that the Cubs have a monopoly on signing him is ridiculous.

Do you have any evidence that the Cubs are lowballing him and the Sox are offering him $15 million a year? While the assumption that the Cubs will do whatever it takes to get him is ridiculous, so is the one where we assuming we have a better offer on the table than the Cubs.

Zisk77
12-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Of course. I think Fukudome might end up being a solid player and hope that he signs with the Sox. That being said, I think it's silly to use the "let's piss off the Cubs/Cub fans" as motivation.

Oh lets piss on them anyway :tongue:

russ99
12-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Do you have any evidence that the Cubs are lowballing him and the Sox are offering him $15 million a year? While the assumption that the Cubs will do whatever it takes to get him is ridiculous, so is the one where we assuming we have a better offer on the table than the Cubs.

None whatsoever, unless you believe some of those rumor sites... :D:

From those non-credible sources I hear the Cubs are offering $12M for 5 years, and Fukudome wants 3 years at anywhere from $12-17M. I also have no assumptions that the Sox are in that ballpark or are even interested in signing him at this point...

I only wish to debunk this absurd notion that certain publications are putting forth that the Cubs are the only team to have a chance to sign Fukudome. It's a free market, and the player decides which team he signs with...

Surely if the Cubs are dumb enough to sign him for upwards of $17M, they'll get him, but there are multiple teams in the chase, and it's not a given. I for one am not following the Cubune's suggestion that all the local media has picked up on we should all (sheep-like) automatically assume he's going to the Cubs.

chaerulez
12-10-2007, 01:45 PM
None whatsoever, unless you believe some of those rumor sites... :D:

From those non-credible sources I hear the Cubs are offering $12M for 5 years, and Fukudome wants 3 years at anywhere from $12-17M. I also have no assumptions that the Sox are in that ballpark or are even interested in signing him at this point...

I only wish to debunk this absurd notion that certain publications are putting forth that the Cubs are the only team to have a chance to sign Fukudome. It's a free market, and the player decides which team he signs with...

Surely if the Cubs are dumb enough to sign him for upwards of $17M, they'll get him, but there are multiple teams in the chase, and it's not a given. I for one am not following the Cubune's suggestion that all the local media has picked up on we should all (sheep-like) automatically assume he's going to the Cubs.

I've heard the Royals have also made a run at him, so it's really up in the air where he goes at this point.

munchman33
12-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't think we'll sign Fukodome because he isn't our top priority. I think he should be, but I have a feeling we're more in on Rowand, and we're leading Fukodome on about our interest a little and simply considering him a secondary option. It's unfortunate, because Fukodome is more what we need. But it sounds like he wants to sign soon, and I don't think we'd sign him unless Rowand's off the market.

Too bad. Because I don't think Rowand's coming here either. Someone's gonna cave on that fifth year. It won't be us.

JohnTucker0814
12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm still on the let's throw $30MM/yr and get both of these guys. I still think it will be foolish on the White Sox to go into next year with Quentin penciled in as our everyday left fielder. The best option IMHO is to do everything you can to get both Fukodome and Rowand. Here is your outfield/DH for the next 3-4 years:

2008:
LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Dye
DH - Thome
Util - Quentin

LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Quentin
DH - Dye

LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Quentin

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm still on the let's throw $30MM/yr and get both of these guys. I still think it will be foolish on the White Sox to go into next year with Quentin penciled in as our everyday left fielder. The best option IMHO is to do everything you can to get both Fukodome and Rowand. Here is your outfield/DH for the next 3-4 years:

2008:
LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Dye
DH - Thome
Util - Quentin

LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Quentin
DH - Dye

LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Quentin
I was hoping that Quentin plays more of a ulitility role this year (like Mackowiak in '06) and is eventually eased into a starting spot. But I don't think the Sox sign both Fukodome and Rowand. I would love it if they did that, but I don't think they will.

I still think that Fukodome is going to go wherever the most money is right now and the Cubs potential ownership thing leaves the situation in flux, major league baseball might not tolerate them spending an absurd amount of money that they don't intend to pay...as for the ballpark tour, I don't think the dimensions are going to be what scares Fukodome, I think he might see that bare brick wall and think "I might have to run into THIS?" along with that basket they have to hanging over the walls, it is a difficult place for a defensive minded outfielder to play. We'll see. I hope we sign him, that would make me feel a whole lot better.

munchman33
12-10-2007, 02:09 PM

2008:
LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Dye
DH - Thome
Util - Quentin

LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Quentin
DH - Dye

LF - Fukodome
CF - Rowand
RF - Quentin

Our outfield next year will be Quentin Patterson Dye. We don't have $30 million to spend and we're not giving Aaron Rowand, a nice but not great player coming off a career year, five years.

JohnTucker0814
12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Our outfield next year will be Quentin Patterson Dye. We don't have $30 million to spend and we're not giving Aaron Rowand, a nice but not great player coming off a career year, five years.

Currently we are on the hook for $102 MM payroll as we stand today.

Buehrle - 14MM
Thome - 14MM (-7MM from Phillies)
Konerko - 12MM
Vazquez - 11.5MM
Contreras - 10MM
Dye - 9.5MM
Cabrera - 9.5MM
Pierzynski - 5MM
Crede - 4.94MM
Uribe - 4.5MM
Linebrink - 4MM
MacDougal - 1.95MM
Hall - 1.75MM
Ozuna - 1.05MM
Thornton - .875MM
Jenks - .45MM
Sisco - .405MM
Anderson - .39MM
Aardsma - .3875MM
Massett - .381MM
Quentin - .381MM
Danks, Owens, Fields, Floyd, Logan, Richar, Wasserman - .38MM

That is a total of 102.1195MM plus we are recieving cash from Anaheim...

Why can't we spend another 30MM on two players? Then if we can dump Uribe we can use his 4.5MM for some more relief help?

130MM /year payroll should be a no brainer for this team!

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Currently we are on the hook for $102 MM payroll as we stand today.

Buehrle - 14MM
Thome - 14MM (-7MM from Phillies)
Konerko - 12MM
Vazquez - 11.5MM
Contreras - 10MM
Dye - 9.5MM
Cabrera - 9.5MM
Pierzynski - 5MM
Crede - 4.94MM
Uribe - 4.5MM
Linebrink - 4MM
MacDougal - 1.95MM
Hall - 1.75MM
Ozuna - 1.05MM
Thornton - .875MM
Jenks - .45MM
Sisco - .405MM
Anderson - .39MM
Aardsma - .3875MM
Massett - .381MM
Quentin - .381MM
Danks, Owens, Fields, Floyd, Logan, Richar, Wasserman - .38MM

That is a total of 102.1195MM plus we are recieving cash from Anaheim...

Why can't we spend another 30MM on two players? Then if we can dump Uribe we can use his 4.5MM for some more relief help?

130MM /year payroll should be a no brainer for this team!
The Sox can afford to have a 130MM payroll, whether or not Jerry wants to is the bigger question. We might be able to get rid of Uribe's and/or Crede's salary though so that should give us some room to play with there...A 100MM payroll might be the norm soon.

jabrch
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
The numbers that should be shown to Fukudome-san are these:

That might make up his mind.

I hardly think he cares...he'd likely be more concerned about 2007 when the numbers that the Cubs could show him are #1 and #4 or 85 and 72...

I don't know if we will get him or not, but this silly intercity rivalry and using 1908 as an arguement for or against joining the 2008 Cubs seems to be a bit...weak.

Madvora
But I don't think the Sox sign both Fukodome and Rowand. I would love it if they did that, but I don't think they will.

Yeah, there's no way they're going to get two free agents. If they get two more players for this outfield, it will be one free agent and one trade.
Right now it looks like they'd only get one or the other instead of two guys.

JohnTucker0814
The Sox can afford to have a 130MM payroll, whether or not Jerry wants to is the bigger question. We might be able to get rid of Uribe's and/or Crede's salary though so that should give us some room to play with there...A 100MM payroll might be the norm soon.

I think that is a slap to the face of all the faithful fans that have season tickets and flock to this ballpark since 2005. As Kenny has said several times, if we get people to the park the payroll will be adjusted according. I think there has been a significant boost in attendance and we need to see that in the payroll. Hell, after this year if our roster stays as is our payroll is 77MM... if we have Rowand and Fukodome on that it is 107MM and we would need to add a shortstop... our DH would be filled by Dye and Quentin moves to RF, 3b is Fields... our pitching staff is still in tact... so theoretically we could reduce payroll after this year and get better... say we sign Cabrera to a 10MM extenstion... now our payroll is 117MM in 2008 with the same core, only losing Thome... signing Rowand and Fukodome even at 5 years, is not going to cripple us because of the likes of Fields, Quentin, Floyd, Danks, Jenks, etc...

Just go for it!

johnr1note
12-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I was hoping that Quentin plays more of a ulitility role this year (like Mackowiak in '06) and is eventually eased into a starting spot. But I don't think the Sox sign both Fukodome and Rowand. I would love it if they did that, but I don't think they will.

Ah, but this still really doesn't solve the "legit leadoff man" issue. Who leads off in that scenario? Richar?

chisoxfanatic
12-10-2007, 03:01 PM
I wonder if there's any way Shingo can help sell the idea of coming to play at 35th & Shields. He enjoyed his stay here and had nothing but great things to say about the organization.

Sockinchisox
12-10-2007, 03:34 PM
FWIW, Wittenmeyer has a blog out saying the Cubs could have him signed by mid-week.

Dick Allen
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
FWIW, Wittenmeyer has a blog out saying the Cubs could have him signed by mid-week.Wittenmeyer, yet another member of the Cub-Times cheerleading squad. Somewhere, Handsome Mike Kiley must be proud.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
FWIW, Wittenmeyer has a blog out saying the Cubs could have him signed by mid-week.

FWIW that's exactly what Joe Cowley said about Torii Hunter and the White Sox.

Fantosme
12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Fukudome will make his official decision to leave Japan tonight. He probably will not pick a team tonight, but it is possible.

per Rotoworld

russ99
12-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Ah, but this still really doesn't solve the "legit leadoff man" issue. Who leads off in that scenario? Richar?

I'm not sold on Fukudome especially at $14M+ per season. The Sox can better spend that elsewhere.

I'd go for signing Rowand for 4 years and whatever cash it takes to ink him for that. Then I'd try to send Crede and a decent prospect (Sweeney?) to Anaheim for Figgins, play him at 2B and have him lead off.

We'd still need a LF, a RH reliever and a older starter, but there will be guys available by trade and FA at far lesser prices than now in January and early February which is when Kenny did his best work before the '05 season.

jabrch
12-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Then I'd try to send Crede and a decent prospect (Sweeney?) to Anaheim for Figgins, play him at 2B and have him lead off.

YUCK

munchman33
12-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Fukudome will make his official decision to leave Japan tonight. He probably will not pick a team tonight, but it is possible.

per Rotoworld

Yeah, we've heard that everyday for the last week. It really sounds like he's having a hard time deciding to leave.

btrain929
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, we've heard that everyday for the last week. It really sounds like he's having a hard time deciding to leave.

Or his agent is using this method for all teams involved to submit a new, higher "final offer" .....

munchman33
12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Or his agent is using this method for all teams involved to submit a new, higher "final offer" .....

Either way, I have a feeling this is gonna drag out longer than the next few days.

oeo
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM

He already made his decision, he just wanted to make it official with a press conference.

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2007, 11:23 PM
He already made his decision, he just wanted to make it official with a press conference.
You mean he knows he wants to play in the MLB or he knows who he is going to play with?

The Thomenator
12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I have heard all this talk that Fukudome is a hybrid of Hideki Matsui and Ichiro. What skill sets of each player does he have? Anyone out there with a detailed explanation? Would he take right, moving Dye to left?

Sockinchisox
12-10-2007, 11:32 PM
I have heard all this talk that Fukudome is a hybrid of Hideki Matsui and Ichiro. What skill sets of each player does he have? Anyone out there with a detailed explanation? Would he take right, moving Dye to left?

He'd take center most likely with Quentin in left and Dye in right.

CHIsoxNation
12-10-2007, 11:33 PM
FWIW, during the sports segment of NBC Channel 5 news tonight they said there is no deadline for him to make his decision and that the Cubs and Padres are considered the front runners. No mention of the Sox.

thomas35forever
12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
There's one question you have to consider: is Fukudome our solution at leadoff? I really don't know. If he's not that fast and we sign him, that leaves Cabrera, a no. 2 hitter, to hit first. I'm also not sure how Dye would adjust to left were that the case.

The Thomenator
12-10-2007, 11:45 PM
There's one question you have to consider: is Fukudome our solution at leadoff? I really don't know. If he's not that fast and we sign him, that leaves Cabrera, a no. 2 hitter, to hit first. I'm also not sure how Dye would adjust to left were that the case.

I just looked at his stats from Japan. His career OBP is .397 with .443, .438, and .430 in each of the last 3 years respectively. Granted, it's Japan, but if it's a good eye at the plate that gets him on base, that good eye will get him on base anywhere. His SB numbers are not ideal, but I'll take baseball players that can get on base regardless of speed at this point. If we pick him up (at this point it's a huge if), it seems as if we'll have two #2 hitters on our hands. I hate this crap. I'm talking myself retarded. When's Spring Training start?

Flight #24
12-11-2007, 12:00 AM
While they wouldn't have a prototypical leadoff guy, if you add Fukudome, Cabrera, Quentin in place of Uribe, Owens, Terrero/Gonzalez/etc, then you've significantly upgraded your team OBP and general offensive skillset. Speed is still an issue, but while you wouldn't have a speedster you'd have a bunch of guys with double-digit speed and extra-base speed (Cabrera, Fukudome, Richar, Fields). And your D should still be as good or better.

It's still light on stars, but it's a significant improvement over last year. The problem is that there was a lot of ground left to make up and Detroit increased that distance.

JermaineDye05
12-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071210&content_id=2322271&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp)

However, the Cubs, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, "are prepared to offer a mega-package similar to the eye-popping deal they presented last offseason to free-agent left fielder Alfonso Soriano, who bagged an eight-year, $136 million contract."

If he gets a contract similar to Soriano's, wow.

JB98
12-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Hard to believe they're going to give him Soriano money. Wow. Just wow.

I'd like for the Sox to sign this player, but giving him $16-18 million a year is patently insane.

Fantosme
12-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071210&content_id=2322271&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp)

If he gets a contract similar to Soriano's, wow.

I remember reading somewhere that Fukudome wants 3 years. No more, no less. So I find it hard to believe that there is a "mega offer" out there. Another reason to be skeptical of this is the fact that he is considering the Padres offer, which is something like 3/30. You mean to tell me that he would turn down a Soriano-like contract for 3/30?

oeo
12-11-2007, 02:53 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Fukudome wants 3 years. No more, no less. So I find it hard to believe that there is a "mega offer" out there.

You know how the Flubs are. They come right in there with some absurd offer that can't be turned down. He wants 3 years? They'll offer him 6. All he's asking is $12 million per? They'll offer him $15 million per. They don't like getting in bidding wars, remember? So they just splurge and take the guy right there.

Another reason to be skeptical of this is the fact that he is considering the Padres offer, which is something like 3/30. You mean to tell me that he would turn down a Soriano-like contract for 3/30?I think the biggest reason the Padres are one of the finalists, is because of their location. If he goes to San Diego, it will be because he wants to be on the West coast.

Fantosme
12-11-2007, 03:05 AM
I think the biggest reason the Padres are one of the finalists, is because of their location. If he goes to San Diego, it will be because he wants to be on the West coast.

His agent said that location would only be a tiebreaker. So if he is considering the Padres at 3/30, then the Cubs offer has to be similar.

oeo
12-11-2007, 03:18 AM
His agent said that location would only be a tiebreaker. So if he is considering the Padres at 3/30, then the Cubs offer has to be similar.

Well, in that case...the Padres aren't going to win any bidding wars (they're too cheap), so they don't have much going for them.

Looks like it's us and the Flubs. Flubs will win because they're a stupid organization.

DumpJerry
12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
I wonder if there's any way Shingo can help sell the idea of coming to play at 35th & Shields. He enjoyed his stay here and had nothing but great things to say about the organization.
It's my understanding that Shingo once threw at his head. When Fukudome saw the ball coming at him, he got a hot dog and beer, put the mustard and relish on the dog. Ate it. Drank the beer. Wiped off his mouth. Got back in the Box. Ducked out of the way of the pitch. Probably no hard feelings there.

Jjav829
12-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I think we'll sign Fukudome because the Sox sales pitch led by Jim Thome, while not great, was much better than the Cubs. :D::D:

The Dugout - Fukudome meets the Sox. (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/09/the-dugout-f-ks-k/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/09/jim_thome.jpg (http://www.wordupthome.com/) WordUpThome: WE PLAY IN AN OUTDOOR PARK

ZombieRob
12-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Is this guy worth all the hype he's getting?Reading and listening to some interviews by scouts etc ,there seemed to be a few mixed reviews .

Madvora
12-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Another article about the Cubs and Padres being the "front runners" to sign Fukudome. Link (http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/690655,121107sptcubs.article)
I don't understand this. Nobody is a front runner. Either he signs with you or he doesn't. It's not like all of these teams are paying him in installments and the Cubs have sent the most money so far or something.
The guy is unsigned. Unsigned for all teams involved. The only way "front runner" would make sense is if it came out of Fukudome's mouth. He could be leaning one way or another, but that's up to him.

DrCrawdad
12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Another article about the Cubs and Padres being the "front runners" to sign Fukudome. Link (http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/690655,121107sptcubs.article)
I don't understand this. Nobody is a front runner. Either he signs with you or he doesn't. It's not like all of these teams are paying him in installments and the Cubs have sent the most money so far or something.
The guy is unsigned. Unsigned for all teams involved. The only way "front runner" would make sense is if it came out of Fukudome's mouth. He could be leaning one way or another, but that's up to him.

Wait for the collective amnesia IF FukUdome signs with Sox OR if he flops after signing with the Cubs. Cubbie fans and the Cubbie fans in the media will forget their breathless reports about this guy, IF he flops with them or if he signs with someone else.

Of course IF he signs with the Cubs the hype machine will be running on overdrive.

Oh, and BTW more ads for the "Sacred Confines..."

The Cubs recently announced they will increase the ad signage at Wrigley, and since more Cubs games will be televised in Japan if Fukudome signs, it makes sense that some of the ads will be in Japanese.

I love how each year the Cubune has added more and more advertising at The Shrine as though each off season they were making a new decision for increased advertising and not part of a 5-10 plan.

veeter
12-11-2007, 09:31 AM
The cubs may get him. Just in time for Lilly to go 9-16, Maquis 8-14, Hill 10-11 and Bozo 14-12.

AZChiSoxFan
12-11-2007, 10:39 AM
It's my understanding that Shingo once threw at his head. When Fukudome saw the ball coming at him, he got a hot dog and beer, put the mustard and relish on the dog. Ate it. Drank the beer. Wiped off his mouth. Got back in the Box. Ducked out of the way of the pitch. Probably no hard feelings there.

LOL!!!

PorkChopExpress
12-11-2007, 10:41 AM
San Diego seems to think the Cubs are offering him close to $50mil.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20071211-9999-1s11padres.html

It looks like pure speculation, but then again it does not seem unlike the Cubs.

VenturaFan23
12-11-2007, 10:41 AM
per rotoworld....

The Cubs have offered Kosuke Fukudome close to $50 million, according to the San Diego Union Tribune.

That deal would likely trump the Padres' initial offer, which is reportedly worth over $10 million per season for three years. The White Sox are also believed to be in the running for Fukudome, who announced Tuesday that he's leaving Japan for MLB.

Edit: Doh! Beat me to it by seconds!

doctor30th
12-11-2007, 10:45 AM
What happened to him last year though. I looked at his numbers and he only played 81 games and I think Japans season is 142 games. It might be related to the "Jul 24, 2007 - Pain in right elbow" that was on this link with his stats. Makes me wonder though, he only played 57% of last season.

The other interesting thing I saw was the last 3 years his OBP was been well over .400.

Something to nibble on.

http://japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1064

The Immigrant
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
50 million? Someone should tell Hendry he's not bidding in yen.

Sockinchisox
12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
What happened to him last year though. I looked at his numbers and he only played 81 games and I think Japans season is 142 games. It might be related to the "Jul 24, 2007 - Pain in right elbow" that was on this link with his stats. Makes me wonder though, he only played 57% of last season.

The other interesting thing I saw was the last 3 years his OBP was been well over .400.

Something to nibble on.

http://japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1064

He injured his shoulder and had shoulder surgery.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Why should he care? It's not his money and the team's going to be sold soon so the contracts will be someone else's problem.

Lip

spiffie
12-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Why should he care? It's not his money and the team's going to be sold soon so the contracts will be someone else's problem.

Lip
Well that and they most likely have the revenue stream to support a payroll closer to the Red Sox than the White Sox.

Craig Grebeck
12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
The funny thing about all of this is that the Cubs insist on overpaying for Fukudome when Matt Murton is a good bet to post similar numbers in the same position. If they plan on using him in center, they have Felix Pie - who has proved all that he can in AAA.

We, on the other hand, could really use Fukudome in CF, but I would not be too upset if we went with BA and saved our money for a better FA class. There's no reason to overpay for Aaron Rowand.

Sockinchisox
12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
The funny thing about all of this is that the Cubs insist on overpaying for Fukudome when Matt Murton is a good bet to post similar numbers in the same position. If they plan on using him in center, they have Felix Pie - who has proved all that he can in AAA.

We, on the other hand, could really use Fukudome in CF, but I would not be too upset if we went with BA and saved our money for a better FA class. There's no reason to overpay for Aaron Rowand.

They want him because he's a left handed hitter, and they want him to play right, Soriano in left, and probably Pie in Center.

esbrechtel
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Then what do the Cubs do with derosa if they also go for roberts? I'd take him....

PorkChopExpress
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but mlbtraderumors suggests that Fukudome is looking for 5 years. That changes things in my opinion. if this is true, forget it and move on.

soxyess
12-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but mlbtraderumors suggests that Fukudome is looking for 5 years. That changes things in my opinion. if this is true, forget it and move on.

Forget it and move on to what? If KW thinks that Fukudome is a difference maker then go get him and do what it takes to get him. If he doesnt think he is a difference maker he shouldnt have been wasting his time on him to begin with. If this organization thinks it can sneak in and get players on the cheap they will have big problems competing. The payroll climate is changing.

Gammons Peter
12-11-2007, 12:34 PM
If this organization thinks it can sneak in and get players on the cheap they will have big problems competing. The payroll climate is changing.

you hit the nail on the head

PorkChopExpress
12-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Forget it and move on to what? If KW thinks that Fukudome is a difference maker then go get him and do what it takes to get him. If he doesnt think he is a difference maker he shouldnt have been wasting his time on him to begin with. If this organization thinks it can sneak in and get players on the cheap they will have big problems competing. The payroll climate is changing.

How can someone who has yet to play a single game in MLB be considered a difference maker? He is the same as a highly touted prospect as far as I am concerned. KW is looking at him because he is supposed to do well in MLB, had high OBP in Japan and good defense, and can possibly play one of the positions at which we are trying to improve. I doubt KW is willing to throw money at him like he would a true "difference maker."

As for move on to what, move on to whatever is left, i.e., Rowand, Patterson, Pierre, Figgins, Willits. KW is sure to have plans in case he can't get Fukudome. Move on to those plans.

SoxGirl4Life
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
I get the feeling that Kenny can't win no matter what happens with this guy.

If he doesn't overpay to get him, he'll be called cheap.
If he does, he'll be called stupid for trying to save face this offseason.

Either way, he's going to get dumped on.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Either way, he's going to get dumped on.:nod: :thumbsup:

soxyess
12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
How can someone who has yet to play a single game in MLB be considered a difference maker? He is the same as a highly touted prospect as far as I am concerned. KW is looking at him because he is supposed to do well in MLB, had high OBP in Japan and good defense, and can possibly play one of the positions at which we are trying to improve. I doubt KW is willing to throw money at him like he would a true "difference maker."

As for move on to what, move on to whatever is left, i.e., Rowand, Patterson, Pierre, Figgins, Willits. KW is sure to have plans in case he can't get Fukudome. Move on to those plans.

If KW thinks based on his scouting that this guy is everything you just said then do everything to sign him. If his scouting tells him otherwise then I dont want him at any salary. Your logic is faulty. He's good enough to pay 13mil but he's not worth 15mil. If he cant do ant of the things you mentioned I dont want him for a dollar. If he can, Ill be the highest bidder.

soxyess
12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Its not fair to dump on KW if he signs this guy. This overpaying stuff is nonsense. If KW thinks this guy can help us get to a WS I dont care what he pays him. If the guy fails then question his talent evaluation not the overpaying garbage. Fukudome will be paid his market value. If someone pays him 18M a year then thats his market value.

Nellie_Fox
12-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Its not fair to dump on KW if he signs this guy. This overpaying stuff is nonsense. If KW thinks this guy can help us get to a WS I dont care what he pays him. If the guy fails then question his talent evaluation not the overpaying garbage. Fukudome will be paid his market value. If someone pays him 18M a year then thats his market value.So if three teams are pursuing the same guy, each team should just keep topping the last bid forever, and the first one that doesn't is failing to pay "market value?" And the team that finally gets him, by definition, isn't overpaying? That's just nuts.

Over By There
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Either way, he's going to get dumped on.

Welcome to WSI, where no player is "worth that much" (at least until another team signs them), and KW/JR are bumbling and cheap.

Domeshot17
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Its getting thin though, after Fukudome, where are we, plan g7?

There are bingo games with less letter number combos then K dubs offseason plan

Rockabilly
12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Its getting thin though, after Fukudome, where are we, plan g7?

There are bingo games with less letter number combos then K dubs offseason plan

If we dont get Fukudome and I heard on the radio today that the Giants are making a big push for Rowand do if we dont get either of these guys its going to be a long season. If we dont up grade our OF situation

soxyess
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
So if three teams are pursuing the same guy, each team should just keep topping the last bid forever, and the first one that doesn't is failing to pay "market value?" And the team that finally gets him, by definition, isn't overpaying? That's just nuts.

Isnt that how it works in the real world. If two or more people wish to buy the same thing the one who pays the most gets it.

Tekijawa
12-11-2007, 01:31 PM
If we dont get Fukudome and I heard on the radio today that the Giants are making a big push for Rowand do if we dont get either of these guys its going to be a long season. If we dont up grade our OF situation

I hear Bonds, Sosa, and Cameron are still available...