PDA

View Full Version : Nate McLouth: An Inexpensive CF Option

ND_Sox_Fan
12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Per this Rosenthal article (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396), the Pirates are actively shopping centerfielder Nate McLouth.

The Pirates are aggressively shopping Nate McLouth, who is a popular target for teams looking for left-handed hitters and/or center fielders. McLouth could be a lesser option for the Cubs if they fail to land Kosuke Fukudome, and the Padres, Phillies and Braves also are expressing varying degrees of interest. Guillen's deal with the Royals virtually ensures that free-agent center fielder Aaron Rowand will move beyond the Phillies' price range.

Maybe I am biased having grown up and played across town from Mclouth in Michigan, but I think McLouth would be a better CF/leadoff option than some being thrown around. Here's a guy who has succeeded every time the Pirates have given him regular playing time, including a two-month stretch last season. He has speed and steals bases, hits the ball into the gap, has some HR pop, takes walks, has a decent OBP, and is 25.

I realize that we don't want too many young guys patrolling the OF next year, but if there is a Cabrera trade, I think McLouth makes for a nice leadoff hitter and centerfielder in an OF of Cabrera, McLouth, and Dye.

To give him a fair shake on the stats, don't go to Baseball Reference and take the totals - most of his duties early in the year were as a pinch hitter and occasional starter. Still, in 329 ABs, he ended up with 21 2Bs, 13 HRs, 22 SBs with an OBP of .351.

hi im skot
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I read that as Nate McLoudMouth. I need a nap.

:redface:

The Immigrant
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I find it odd that the Pirates would be looking to move such a young, cheap and productive player, but then again they are the Pirates.

The more interesting part of Rosenthal's article is the availability of Alex Rios - a/k/a Hawk's Second Biggest Man-Crush in the American League (after Grady Sizemore).

Grzegorz
12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd take a chance on Nate McLouth, or the DeJesus kid in KC.

KRS1
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Per this Rosenthal article (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396), the Pirates are actively shopping centerfielder Nate McLouth.

and is 25.

He's actually 26, not that it is a big difference, just wanted to correct that. Nate has always been and interesting guy. Good speed (more importantly he knows how to use it to steal bases), and has some good pop in his bat too. However, I have read he is pretty atrocious in CF, and a lot of Pirates fans don't want to see him starting for them. I wouldn't want us to give up anything of considerable value for him, but for a Sisco type guy, I wouldn't mind him getting a shot.

Evman5
12-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I read that as Nate McLoudMouth. I need a nap.

:redface:

You are not the only one...i read it the same way!

ND_Sox_Fan
12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
He's actually 26, not that it is a big difference, just wanted to correct that. Nate has always been and interesting guy. Good speed (more importantly he knows how to use it to steal bases), and has some good pop in his bat too. However, I have read he is pretty atrocious in CF, and a lot of Pirates fans don't want to see him starting for them. I wouldn't want us to give up anything of considerable value for him, but for a Sisco type guy, I wouldn't mind him getting a shot.

Good catch on the age - he was a year ahead of me in high school, so I just added a year to my age.

His natural position was 2B and the Pirates made him an OF because of his speed. He played about half-time for them in the corners - I didn't see him play in the field a lot last year (just caught the ABs), but he makes some highlight reels because he gets to balls with his speed that a lot of guys don't get. His arm would also be better than Owens' - but that is a slow race.