PDA

View Full Version : Cubes trade Infante, Ohman for RP

RowanDye
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Looks like the Losers flipped Infante and Ohman to ATL for Jose Ascanio.

Per Rotoworld:

"ESPN Radio 1000 reports that the Cubs have traded Omar Infante and Will Ohman to the Braves for Jose Ascanio.
The Cubs traded for Infante last month, but both he and Ohman were somewhat redundant on the roster and figure to cost a combined $3.5 million or so for 2008. A 22-year-old reliever, Ascanio had a 2.54 ERA and 71/18 K/BB ratio in 78 innings at Double-A in 2007 before a 13-game stint with the Braves to end the season."

link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=227049&id=3555)

D. TODD
12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Looks like the Losers flipped Infante and Ohman to ATL for Jose Ascanio.

Per Rotoworld:

"ESPN Radio 1000 reports that the Cubs have traded Omar Infante and Will Ohman to the Braves for Jose Ascanio.
The Cubs traded for Infante last month, but both he and Ohman were somewhat redundant on the roster and figure to cost a combined $3.5 million or so for 2008. A 22-year-old reliever, Ascanio had a 2.54 ERA and 71/18 K/BB ratio in 78 innings at Double-A in 2007 before a 13-game stint with the Braves to end the season."

link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=227049&id=3555)Seems like a solid move for the Chubbies, nothing big, but if the kid has some potential Infante & Ohman were very expendable.

Tragg
12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
That's like getting something in trade for Boone Logan and Cintron.
AA (edit) pitcher with good potential, but very unpolished.

RowanDye
12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
That's like getting something in trade for Boone Logan and Cintron.
AAA pitcher with good potential, but very unpolished.

I think Logan is more valuable than Ohman though, especially to a relief anemic team like the White Sox.

They had similar numbers last year, but Logan put his numbers up in the AL central instead of the NL central and he is exactly seven years younger (oddly enough they were born on the same day!) .

Edit: It's easy to forget that Logan is only 23.

D. TODD
12-04-2007, 11:36 AM
A couple more million saved as well to throw at Fukidome (spelling?) for the Chubs.

D. TODD
12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I think Logan is more valuable than Ohman though, especially to a relief anemic team like the White Sox.

They had similar numbers last year, but Logan put his numbers up in the AL central instead of the NL central and he is exactly seven years younger (oddly enough they were born on the same day!) . I think Boone could be solid, but he hasn't been very good so far so maybe not, but I also like him more then Ohman.

The Immigrant
12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
So basically Jim Hendry managed to turn Jacques Jones's salary and Will Ohman into a AA reliever.

Tragg
12-04-2007, 11:49 AM
They're both situational lefties. Olhman is a proven crud I guess.
I guess maybe Logan could evolve into something more.

A lot of good bullpens don't need situational lefties anyway (Sox 2005, e.g.)

I think the Cubs turned something out of nothing; or maybe they turned a negative into a nothing.

RowanDye
12-04-2007, 11:52 AM
So basically Jim Hendry managed to turn Jacques Jones's salary and Will Ohman into a AA reliever.

Yea I don't know much about Ascanio, but it seems kind of an odd move for the Braves. They have been looking for LH relief help, but I don't think Ohman is much to talk about.

the1tab
12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Yea I don't know much about Ascanio, but it seems kind of an odd move for the Braves. They have been looking for LH relief help, but I don't think Ohman is much to talk about.

The Braves needed a SS and bullpen help, and for what people are paying these days for questionable players (see Jose Guillen's 3 yrs @ $12m per), why not get a serviceable lefty and average to above-average SS/middle INF for a guy that may or may not make your roster next year?

It makes less sense to the Flubbies because they now have... Scott Eyre... as the token lefty in their bullpen. Looks like they're either going to rely on kids or start spending soon, because there aren't many lefties on the market. From the first post on this board, it looks like the kid put up sickening numbers in Double-A (the K/BB ratio) and is young, but the Cubs have how many young arms that nobody knows anything about now?

Maybe they'll hire Charlie Weiss as their pitching coach and bring up Samardzjia to be their #4 starter next season... LOL

:dtroll: