PDA

View Full Version : Baseball superstitions

Paulwny
04-17-2002, 11:51 AM
I'm having a slow day and located this article on individual player superstitions. Some of it is amusing, Voodoo do you remember last year and my Minoso cure?, it's in here.

http://www.whitecaps-baseball.com/PRESSBOX/FEATURE2001/Superstitions.html

voodoochile
04-17-2002, 12:11 PM
Can't say I remember the post, but that is pretty funny stuff...

I love the one about the guy wearing long-johns all summer. Man he must have stunk to high heaven most days after the game...

As to the question at the end of the article: Are baseball superstitions nonsense or do they really help?

I think the answer is a little of both...

It isn't that I think the superstitions work, but that if the players believe in the superstitions it will affect them when there is no more crutch to lean on. No more lucky charm? All of a sudden the players are thinking about that and not the game - presto they lose. Pitcher wears his shoes backwards to improve his luck and he starts thinking about the shoes and not how well he is pitching and then he gets in a groove following the oldest edict in the book - "don't think - just pitch".

Of course for the flubbies, it isn't the goat, they just stink... That's what happens when you start selling the stadium and the cute, cuddly team image. They even tried to break that curse, taking a goat to the stadium in 1998 and inviting Sianis's daughter or someone to walk with it. Didn't work then either...