PDA

View Full Version : Guillen: Cabrera wants to play for White Sox

Sockinchisox
12-03-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2007/12/03/1204marlins.htm (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2007/12/03/1204marlins.html)

Unfortunately, it's not up to him :-/.

thomas35forever
12-03-2007, 10:09 PM
We'd love him as much as he loves us.

santo=dorf
12-03-2007, 10:10 PM
:threadrules:

Let's wait until he's a free agent though. :D:

The Immigrant
12-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Man, I've missed Ozzie since the season ended.

:)

IceczMan
12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Cabrera would constitute the 'big fish' that Kenny has mentioned after Toriiiiii signed.

WhiteSox5187
12-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Cabrera is a GREAT hitter, but does he fill any of our needs right now? He's not a leadoff guy, he can't play CF...I think there are more urgent needs for us to fill before we get him.

ChiSoxFan35
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Ill be the minority but I don't really agree with this. I think we have bigger holes than 3B, and the last thing I want to see is to give away both our assets and future away for this, while keeping big holes.

That rumored Konerko trade would help this situation, but even that would keep our holes in the rotation. That's the problem with me. Every indication is that Kenny is fine with this rotation as is. I'm not. I really don't want to go back to 03 mode where we are relying on Lee/Konerko/Thomas/Ordonez to outslug the opposition, while we hope for Buehrle and someone else to be excellent, and that everyone else just doesn't lose the game for us.

soxfanreggie
12-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I would hate for other teams to file grievances to the commissioner's office about tampering, but I don't think this would happen in that instance. I think that we'd be a viable option for him in free agency, but I wouldn't expect him to take a discount to play for Ozzie. Great to see him working out with the trainer. That will be good for whatever team he ends up playing for.

santo=dorf
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Cabrera is a GREAT hitter, but does he fill any of our needs right now? He's not a leadoff guy, he can't play CF...I think there are more urgent needs for us to fill before we get him.
This team doesn't need any more future hall of famers, we need speedy GRINDERS!!!

When a player of this caliber says he want to play for you team, you will find a spot for him. Last time I checked, we still don't have a solid solution for LF.

hi im skot
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd rather have Crede or Fields. As others have said, this doesn't really address any of our true needs (CF/leadoff, bullpen).

Sockinchisox
12-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Ill be the minority but I don't really agree with this. I think we have bigger holes than 3B, and the last thing I want to see is to give away both our assets and future away for this, while keeping big holes.

That rumored Konerko trade would help this situation, but even that would keep our holes in the rotation. That's the problem with me. Every indication is that Kenny is fine with this rotation as is. I'm not. I really don't want to go back to 03 mode where we are relying on Lee/Konerko/Thomas/Ordonez to outslug the opposition, while we hope for Buehrle and someone else to be excellent, and that everyone else just doesn't lose the game for us.

If the Sox got him, Cabrera would play LF.

Lukin13
12-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Fields, Danks, Gio > 1 Yr of Cabrera and the right to sign him to a $150,000,000+ contract

I wish Ozzie's wife could make friends some player's wives that have a few more years left on their initial contracts. I hear Jose Reyes' baby mamma is looking for a bff.

chisoxmike
12-03-2007, 10:48 PM
This team doesn't need any more future hall of famers, we need speedy GRINDERS!!!

Don't forget guys with low risk high rewards!

DSpivack
12-03-2007, 10:52 PM
As far as I'm concerned, you gotta be nuts not to want Miggy; the guy's bat is up there with Pujols.

The article is Ozzie saying Cabrera wants to play here; not Cabrera saying that himself.

beckett21
12-03-2007, 11:20 PM
As far as I'm concerned, you gotta be nuts not to want Miggy; the guy's bat is up there with Pujols.

The article is Ozzie saying Cabrera wants to play here; not Cabrera saying that himself.

I'm with you on this.

Cabrera is indisputably one of the finest young hitters in the game, a proven veteran at the ripe old age of 24. Why people wouldn't want him is unimaginable to me.

What's not to like? He's worth whatever they would have to pay to get him.

chisoxmike
12-03-2007, 11:39 PM

:KW
"He doesn't fit the mold of a grinder."

Hitmen77
12-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm with you on this.

Cabrera is indisputably one of the finest young hitters in the game, a proven veteran at the ripe old age of 24. Why people wouldn't want him is unimaginable to me.

What's not to like? He's worth whatever they would have to pay to get him.

I'd love him on our team. But when does he become a free agent? I don't want the Sox to bankrupt what little young talent we have for just 1-2 years of Miguel Cabrera before he breaks the bank on some astronomical contract that the Sox will never match.

beckett21
12-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I'd love him on our team. But when does he become a free agent? I don't want the Sox to bankrupt what little young talent we have for just 1-2 years of Miguel Cabrera before he breaks the bank on some astronomical contract that the Sox will never match.

FA in 2010.

I definitely would want to see him here for the long haul. I agree that he's not worth exhausting what's left of the farm for a 2 year rental.

Whatever they could do to keep him here long term, I'd support though.

Rockabilly
12-04-2007, 12:23 AM
With all the talk about the Sox being very interested in Miguel the last few days and this Ozzie article talking about Miguel, I think their is something to all this and we just might get him...

DSpivack
12-04-2007, 12:32 AM
With all the talk about the Sox being very interested in Miguel the last few days and this Ozzie article talking about Miguel, I think their is something to all this and we just might get him...

I'm not sure we have the horses to get him, though, especially considering what the Marlins are apparently asking.

beckett21
12-04-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure we have the horses to get him, though, especially considering what the Marlins are apparently asking.

That's the biggest problem to me. The Marlins trade demands are ridiculous, and the Sox don't appear to have enough blue-chip prospects to make them happy.

Foulke You
12-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I tend to agree that a Fields and a John Danks alone won't get this deal done. However, it is possible that Kenny could bring a 3rd team to the table to make it happen. He does have some chips in Crede and Uribe that could be spun into prospects to send to Florida. I would say the Sox aren't the favorites but certainly a darkhorse team in the Cabrera derby.

WhiteSox5187
12-04-2007, 01:47 AM
I'm not trying to say that Cabrera isn't a great hitter, but right now we have two guys who can play third (potentially) if we throw Cabrera in left then our CF better be able to cover a whole lot of ground seeing as how he would be flanked by Dye and Cabrera and this still doesn't address the issue of leadoff. It seems to me that getting Cabrera is like going back to the '03 mode where we try and out slug the other team. I'd really much rather us land a guy who can get on base and steal a few to lead off the games, with a line up featuring Thome, JD and Konerko (unless that alleged AZ deal goes through in which case the whole thing changes but I doubt that would go through) I'm not worried about guys being able to hit for power. I'm worried about guys getting on so the heart of the order has someone to drive in.

Domeshot17
12-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Ok havent been too into this but with Quentin Ive thought of a few possible packages, and it keeps coming back to this. Fields is the deal breaker, and he seems to make any deal not work

Quentin-Fields-Owens/Sweeney-Gio-Sisco/phillips I feel like we lose too much

Quentin/Fields-Sweeney-Owens-Gio-Sisco/phillips maybe, but I dont know if they would want 3 OF in a deal

The always possibly Uribe-Sweeney-Owens-Gio-Egbert seems too soft too.

So in reality we have to deal Crede for an impact IF prospect to make it work with Florida.

AJ Hellraiser
12-04-2007, 02:07 AM
This is getting interesting... The Sox have popped up as one of the teams in on Cabrera, but never seriously... typical KW....

Ozzie has been talking to Cabrera a lot and seems to have piqued his interest in playing on the South Side... We all know KW and Ozzie talk a ton about the team and the roster.... I am sure KW is well aware of Ozzie's talks with Cabrera...

Today we get a highly touted prospect who is still young enough to meet his potential... a decision has been made on which 3B will be moved.... we still seem to have $15 mill a year to throw at someone... and it's obvious KW wants to win now instead of focusing on the future...

Call me crazy, but maybe.... just maybe... the big fish KW has wanted is Miguel Cabrera... a guy who could not only help us in 2008, but also smooth the transition period if/when signed to a long-term deal...

ChiSoxFan35
12-04-2007, 02:29 AM

It's not about denying that or not wanting him, but it's not as simple as saying 'top bat, get him here'. Based on what Fla wants, I could care less about a nice bat and a lot of HRs if we still get stuck with a lot of holes, average-a lot of losses, and empty seats

If the Sox got him, Cabrera would play LF.

I would guess they would want Fields, and a lot of signs have pointed to saying bye to Crede. I wouldn't think that Boras would be the difference maker, but who knows, esp with the Sox

ChiSoxFan35
12-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Plus it would be annoying to type and have to write a first initial in front of Cabrera every time :D

oeo
12-04-2007, 02:42 AM
This is getting interesting... The Sox have popped up as one of the teams in on Cabrera, but never seriously... typical KW....

No, he's been serious. The problem is, the Marlins aren't taking him seriously because he has nearly nothing to offer.

The Dude
12-04-2007, 08:44 AM

I agree. I don't know how anyone on here wouldn't want one of the top hitters in the game for prospects!?! However, I would obviously not want him as a 1 year rental but a long term deal would have to be in place. With some of the big old contracts off the books soon, he could be our cornerstone player to build around over the next several years.

RowanDye
12-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Ok havent been too into this but with Quentin Ive thought of a few possible packages, and it keeps coming back to this. Fields is the deal breaker, and he seems to make any deal not work

Quentin-Fields-Owens/Sweeney-Gio-Sisco/phillips I feel like we lose too much

Quentin/Fields-Sweeney-Owens-Gio-Sisco/phillips maybe, but I dont know if they would want 3 OF in a deal

The always possibly Uribe-Sweeney-Owens-Gio-Egbert seems too soft too.

So in reality we have to deal Crede for an impact IF prospect to make it work with Florida.

I don't really understand all of your dashes and slashes. Are you saying Quentin, Fields, Owens, and Phillips OR Sweeney, Gio, Sisco, and Phillips? I would do either of those in a heartbeat.

Fields is good, but he doesn't have a real position on the field and Cabrera more than makes up for his bat. All of the other guys are just potential, and other than Gio not much potential. There are not many 3 or even 4 player packages of young players that I would be against trading for Miguel Cabrera. If we lost Owens in the deal though, we would really be hurting to find someone to play CF and leadoff.

1 Owens (CF)
2 O. Cabrera (SS)
3 M. Cabrera (3B or LF)
4 Thome (DH)
5 Konerko (1B)
6 Dye (RF)
7 AJ (C)
8 Crede (3B or traded)
9 Richar (2B)

That lineup looks pretty nice to me. Since Cabrera can play 3B, you could trade Crede or sign an OF that could leadoff. How about Fukodome?

Iguana775
12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Go get him, Kenny! :supernana:

Mohoney
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm not trying to say that Cabrera isn't a great hitter, but right now we have two guys who can play third (potentially) if we throw Cabrera in left then our CF better be able to cover a whole lot of ground seeing as how he would be flanked by Dye and Cabrera and this still doesn't address the issue of leadoff.

I think Andruw Jones can cover that ground.

As for 2 years of Cabrera not being worth mortgaging the farm, I might disagree there, depending on what the organization wants to do. Buehrle, Konerko, Javy, AJ, and Dye are all in that general 2-4 year window, too, so a case can definitely be made to go for broke now and just start a total rebuild in 2 or 3 years.

I guess the question is this: would we as fans be willing to accept a few years of REALLY bad baseball starting in 2010 or 2011 for one more last-gasp effort to win now? I think that, looking at the contract situations for some of the guys we currently have, going for it all in 2008 and 2009 and then totally rebuilding from scratch in 2010 or 2011 might not be a bad idea.

Flight #24
12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I guess the question is this: would we as fans be willing to accept a few years of REALLY bad baseball starting in 2010 or 2011 for one more last-gasp effort to win now? I think that, looking at the contract situations for some of the guys we currently have, going for it all in 2008 and 2009 and then totally rebuilding from scratch in 2010 or 2011 might not be a bad idea.

You could look at it this way: By 2011, you'll have to replace your cornerstone offensive players anyway. So Konerko, Thome, AJ, Dye are all out. Who do you project to replace them? Fields is one guy. Quentin could be but seems more likely to end up a strong supporting player rather than a core guy. Same with Richar.

As for pitching, Buehrle & Vazquez will be reaching the end of their terms, but should still have a strong couple of years left. You'll need to find 2 top of the rotation guys from Danks, Floyd, Gio, DLS, Egbert, Broadway, Poreda, etc.

Now let's say you deal 2 of the pitchers (keep one of Gio/DLS) and Fields along with another prospect(Quentin?) for Cabrera. Now in 2011, you've got a resigned Miggy as your core offensive guy and you're filling in around him. Sure, you've lost 2 of your supporting guys, but it's a lot easier to find those than to find a superstar. Because Cabrera's already so good but still so young, it changes the usual "prospects for veteran" equation. You can deal a bunch of prospects for him because by the time they'd pan out (if they do), he'll still be in his prime.

GAsoxfan
12-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Because Cabrera's already so good but still so young, it changes the usual "prospects for veteran" equation. You can deal a bunch of prospects for him because by the time they'd pan out (if they do), he'll still be in his prime.

Not to mention that at least one of the prospects you're giving up (Fields) is older than Cabrera.

getonbckthr
12-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I would like the Sox to step up and offer Gio, De Los Santos, Fields, Egbert and Sweeney for Cabrera, then sign either Jones to a 3/54 or fukodome at a 3/40. Is that alot to give up, perhaps. But here's my reasoning. Buerhle, Danks and VAzquez are all here for at least 3 more seasons. Hopefully Floyd pans out as planned. Thats 4/5 of our rotation. We got Contreras for 2 more years, Thome for 2 more years, Dye for 3 more years and Paulie for 3 more years. We could afford to give Cabrera a 7-10 year backloaded (contract gets heavy in 3 years) contract. With all this money being freed up we will be able to attack the market again in the upcoming years while also competing for the next few. As far as Crede and Uribe trade them for young, single A prospects that might develop in 3 seasons.