PDA

View Full Version : Twins think Steinbrenner is tampering

Fenway
12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's La Velle E. Neal III reported Monday afternoon that the Twins are hot under the collar about Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner's "deadline" for getting a Santana deal done. Sunday night, Steinbrenner, vowing "not to be played" by the Red Sox, said publicly the Twins must make a decision on whether to accept New York's offer by Monday, or it will be withdrawn. When asked by the Star-Tribune if he thought the comments constituted tampering, a Twins official replied, "We're not happy. We'll deal with this internally.'' Additionally, the Star-Tribune reported Monday that Santana was angry after hearing of reports that he has ordered the Twins to trade him to either Boston or New York. "Johan told me to tell you that's completely inaccurate,'' Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, said. "He's upset about that. He's put no limitations on (Twins GM Bill Smith) to do his job.''

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/

UserNameBlank
12-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I applaud the Yanks for setting a deadline. They're offering Hughes + Cabrera + more. That's a nice haul. If that wouldn't get Santana I'd offer a slightly lesser package to Beane for Haren.

Oblong
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
I raised an eyebrow when he said something like "We want Santana" but I don't see anything that's tampering in the quotes above.

Fenway
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I raised an eyebrow when he said something like "We want Santana" but I don't see anything that's tampering in the quotes above.

So far all that Theo has said in public is "There are things going on."

34 Inch Stick
12-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Can you tamper when the other side has openly sought a trade with you?

asindc
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
So the Twinkees are not happy about the Yanks imposing a deadline on a trade with them. How is that tampering? I think the Yanks are playing this well. They are basically telling the Twins that they have made a good and fair offer (which I agree with) and that they will not get sucked into a bidding war over Santana when there are other top-flight pitchers available. If the Twins suddenly see their potential haul for Santana diminished because of that, well, thems the breaks.