PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: Bedard wants out, trade likely

Fantosme
12-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Bedard has told the Orioles that he has no interest in remaining an Oriole once he becomes a free agent, making a trade likely.

He is arbitration eligible for the next two seasons.

And, according to the Baltimore Sun, they turned down Bedard for Carlos Gomez, Aaron Heilman, and Philip Humber.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/01/AR2007120101394_2.html

WhiteSox5187
12-03-2007, 02:04 AM
Hmm...he'd be a great land if we could get him, now whether or not we can do that is the question. Certainly worth listening to what they want.

ZombieRob
12-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Doubt the Sox will get him.That's to big of a fish for the Sox to trade for.Come to think about it when is the last time the Sox made a huge splash trade or free agent wise? Albert Belle?

Mr. White Sox
12-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Doubt the Sox will get him.That's to big of a fish for the Sox to trade for.Come to think about it when is the last time the Sox made a huge splash trade or free agent wise? Albert Belle?

Freddy Garcia sort of qualifies, but I can't think of anyone outside of him.

ZombieRob
12-03-2007, 03:33 AM
Yea true .......I just can't think of another knock yourself out kind of deal the Sox have made.

DumpJerry
12-03-2007, 07:53 AM

Yea true .......I just can't think of another knock yourself out kind of deal the Sox have made.
You guys are 1,000% right. Kenny did nothing of much consequence during the 2004-2005 off season to improve the team. Nothing at all. Nosiree. Nada. Would have been better off standing pat.

johnr1note
12-03-2007, 08:10 AM

Paul Konerko? Jim Thome? Jose Contrares?

ZombieRob
12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
You guys are 1,000% right. Kenny did nothing of much consequence during the 2004-2005 off season to improve the team. Nothing at all. Nosiree. Nada. Would have been better off standing pat.
Think your getting a little defensive.Nobody is saying K.W is doing an awful job of creating the roster he has.Infact I think he has done a great job.I asked a question not to attack him or his ideals.I'm saying I can't remember when the Sox made a big splash with a big time name in the offseason.you could argue maybe Thome the last one.but was he really a household name when the Sox aquired him?I just don't expect anything huge in the offseason like some.I believe there will be moves and perhaps surprising ones.but as far as getting a huge name,I'm not so sure.

ZombieRob
12-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Paul Konerko? Jim Thome? Jose Contrares?
Konerko wasn't a big name neither was Contrares.I'm talking about big time F.A.Sox getting Bedard,I don't think so.I wasn't really all that hopeful about Hunter signing with the Sox.Especially when other teams out there like to sling big bucks around.Which isn't the norm for the Sox ,which is a good thing.Like i said you can Argue maybe Thome and like the poster said before maybe even Garcia.But i agree with K.W plan ,build team players.IMO you can win more with slightly above avg players than you can with a team loaded with superstars.

Zisk77
12-03-2007, 08:33 AM
How about Bartolo Colon. Everbody else was rumored to be getting him and in typical KW style sox land him under the radar.

ZombieRob
12-03-2007, 08:35 AM
How about Bartolo Colon. Everbody else was rumored to be getting him and in typical KW style sox land him under the radar.
That's a good call and he fleeced the Expos to get him.To bad he only stayed for a cup of coffee.I'd also like to add about my earlier posts,I just don't believe K.W has alot to deal from this year.He seems pretty strapped in what he can do.But at the same time maybe he can find a team desperate to unload someone.

NardiWasHere
12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
:?:

Boomer, Colon, Garcia, and Thome weren't big name guys when KW signed them?

That makes no sense.

rdivaldi
12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
.you could argue maybe Thome the last one.but was he really a household name when the Sox aquired him?

:thud:

I'm speechless...

Tragg
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Speaking of the Orioles, on that MLB trade rumors site, they are apparently interested in Adam Everett, the modern day Roger Metzger.
Gracious, Orioles, when you dump Tejada, come get you some Uribe

EastCoastSoxFan
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Doubt the Sox will get him.That's to big of a fish for the Sox to trade for.Come to think about it when is the last time the Sox made a huge splash trade or free agent wise? Albert Belle?The biggest splash in recent years (at least for one year) was probably Esteban Loiaza. From non-roster invite to 21 wins (and but for two 1-0 losses to the 113-loss Tigers probably would have taken the Cy Young).

Getting back to Bedard, when he's on he's dominant; but when was the last time he pitched anything close to 200 innings in a season...?

ZombieRob
12-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Speaking of the Orioles, on that MLB trade rumors site, they are apparently interested in Adam Everett, the modern day Roger Metzger.
Gracious, Orioles, when you dump Tejada, come get you some Uribe
you would think the O's would want some pitching in return.He may want out but I'd be shocked if the O's just gave him away like that.

chisoxmike
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
...you could argue maybe Thome the last one.but was he really a household name when the Sox aquired him?

Uh, yeah, he is. For a little over 10 years now.

spiffie
12-03-2007, 10:55 AM
The biggest splash in recent years (at least for one year) was probably Esteban Loiaza. From non-roster invite to 21 wins (and but for two 1-0 losses to the 113-loss Tigers probably would have taken the Cy Young).

Getting back to Bedard, when he's on he's dominant; but when was the last time he pitched anything close to 200 innings in a season...?
He pitched 196.3 innings in 2006.

I just don't think the Sox could pull the deal off without severely gutting the system if the report of what they rejected is true. It sounds like they would have to throw in probably 2 high-ceiling pitching prospects plus one more player to get them to move him. Now if they would do the deal for something like Danks, Egbert, and one more decent but not great deal it would be great, but I just don't see it happening that way. Odds are they demand Gio and/or DLS.

areilly
12-03-2007, 11:30 AM
The biggest splash in recent years (at least for one year) was probably Esteban Loiaza. From non-roster invite to 21 wins (and but for two 1-0 losses to the 113-loss Tigers probably would have taken the Cy Young).

Loaiza wasn't a big splash when he signed, though - just another scrap heap reclamation project for the Sox to take on. I'd put him more in the Biggest Surprises category.

I don't even count the Albert Belle signing, because that contract was only ever drawn up to spite the owners who were against JR in prolonging the strike.

Sockinchisox
12-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Mets are apparently "close" on trading for Bedard.

WFAN radio in New York reports that "there's news floating around that the Mets are close on Erik Bedard."
The Bedard rumors have picked up steam since he reportedly told the Orioles that he's not interested in working out a long-term contract extension. There's some speculation that the Orioles could ask the Mets to take Miguel Tejada and his contract back in a Bedard trade, but it's unclear where Tejada would play in New York. It remains to be seen if the Mets have the pieces to pull off a trade for Bedard even after dealing Lastings Milledge.
Source: Metsblog.com (http://www.metsblog.com/2007/12/03/buzz-mets-work-with-os-on-bedard/)
Related: Miguel Tejada (http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2474), Mets (http://rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=NYM)

chisox77
12-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Bedard would be nice to have.

:cool:

dakuda
12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Think your getting a little defensive.Nobody is saying K.W is doing an awful job of creating the roster he has.Infact I think he has done a great job.I asked a question not to attack him or his ideals.I'm saying I can't remember when the Sox made a big splash with a big time name in the offseason.you could argue maybe Thome the last one.but was he really a household name when the Sox aquired him?I just don't expect anything huge in the offseason like some.I believe there will be moves and perhaps surprising ones.but as far as getting a huge name,I'm not so sure.

Did you follow baseball before the trade in 2006? :?:

oeo
12-03-2007, 09:39 PM
you could argue maybe Thome the last one.but was he really a household name when the Sox aquired him?

Uh...yeah.