PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Set Deadline On Santana

Lip Man 1
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Apparently it's tomorrow according to Hank Steinbrenner who more and more is reminding me of his Dad back in the days before he learned a touch of humility.

"We'll see how it goes, but this is not an act. It's not a bluff. It's just reality," he said. "Because as much as I want Santana, and you can make that clear -- for his sake, to know that I do want him -- but the fact is that I'm not going to play the game. We've made them the best offer. And at this point, it's not going to get any better. So they (Minnesota) can decide. At this point, it's up to them. I don't think they want to lose us in this thing, obviously. Nobody wants to lose the Yankees in a negotiation."

:rolleyes:

Lip

Sockinchisox
12-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Ya, ok sure, set a deadline to trade for the best pitcher in baseball.

One of the worst bluffs ever.

KyWhiSoxFan
12-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, take yourself out of the negotiations so the BoSox don't have to give up as much.

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Is this just like the "We won't sign A-Rod if he opts out" position?

the1tab
12-02-2007, 11:21 PM
I have a gut feeling that the Yankees are more interested in making a deal w/ Oakland for Dan Haren... but right now they're taking a page out of ARod/Boras' book from their negotiations w/ the Rangers and they're just driving up the price for Santana and trying to sabotage the BoSox into giving up more than they wanted to originally. Suddenly they might give up Ellsbury when he was "untouchable" for 3 weeks? Hank Steinbrenner is starting to look like he's cut from the same sly fox cloth as Rocky Wirtz... someone who picked up on the good business practices of his father and who learned how to get things done as well. This could be a very bad thing... especially if he's a shrewd business owner who actually wheels and deals but still has the bottomless pockets.

Fenway
12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Hank needs to shut up

A Yankees beat writer blogs

Deal or no deal? The Twins can get Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera, but not Ian Kennedy. That seems to be the state of affairs at the moment. The Twins will try to turn this into a Red Sox-Yankees bidding war but Cashman and Theo Epstein are smarter than that. If the Yankees keep Kennedy and Alan Horne, itís a good deal. If not, itís bad. All sides are spinning here. The latest out of Minnesota is that the Twins are willing to keep Santana and take the draft picks when he leaves as a free agent. The Red Sox are sending out word that they would trade Jacoby Ellsbury. The Yankees are making noise about a deadline.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

From the Boston Globe's Nick Carfardo

What's the end game? If the Red Sox succeed in raising the price for the Yankess to acquire Santana they'd enjoy that. If they land Santana, they'll enjoy that, too. If neither the Red Sox or Yankees land Santana either because they can't agree to players or they can't agree to a deal for the lefty free-agent-to-be after the 2008 season, that's even better. In that scenario Santana stays with Minnesota for the time being or he's shopped out of the AL East.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

WBZ's Dan Roche

I know the Red Sox think Lester is going to be a very good pitcher for a long time and want to hold on to him. If they do...and get Santana...they would have an abundance of starting pitching that would include Beckett, Santana, Matsuzaka, Schilling, Wakefield, Lester, and possibly Buchholz. I'm sure the Red Sox feel it would be a decent problem to have.

http://wbztv.com/roche

Domeshot17
12-02-2007, 11:47 PM
I just don't think the Twins are this stupid. Hughes is good, solid, but Hughes and Cabrera DOES NOT equal Santana. I would want more then what I have seen from Jacoby to consider him the backbone of a deal for Santana, especially when we are talking a middle of the rotation starter like Lester.

I have a feeling there is only 1 team who has and is willing to meet the price of Johan, and that is the dodgers.

ksimpson14
12-03-2007, 12:03 AM
I praise/hail the Yankees! They fought Boras and won! They still payed a buttload of money, but they took control, and made a statement, meanwhile he's now an embarrassment with players dropping him

I still think Boston's offer sucks. I don't see why the Twins can't hold on to him, wait for one of the big guys have a starter go down

Sockinchisox
12-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Johan has told the Twins he will only waive his NTC to go to the Yankees or Red Sox.

IlliniSox4Life
12-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Is this just like the "We won't sign A-Rod if he opts out" position?

I agree

I praise/hail the Yankees! They fought Boras and won! They still payed a buttload of money, but they took control, and made a statement, meanwhile he's now an embarrassment with players dropping him

I still think Boston's offer sucks. I don't see why the Twins can't hold on to him, wait for one of the big guys have a starter go down

Boras may not look like that good in the media, but did they really win? Didn't Boras originally say he wanted to get ARod a 10 year 300 million dollar contract? Didn't most people sort of laugh at that? And now he's guaranteed 275 million over 10 years, with a possibility of it getting to be like 314 million or something? What do agents make, 10%? I'm sure Boras can live with the 27.5-31.4 million he will be making off of this one deal.

Fenway
12-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Santana reportedly has informed the Twins he would not be willing to waive his no-trade clause after the season begins, which would take away Minnesota's option of waiting until the July trading deadline, when it could either weigh its chances of winning with Santana in the rotation or offering him up for bidding again.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/12/03/ellsbury_not_untouchable_for_santana/

Oblong
12-03-2007, 08:33 AM
I agree

Boras may not look like that good in the media, but did they really win? Didn't Boras originally say he wanted to get ARod a 10 year 300 million dollar contract? Didn't most people sort of laugh at that? And now he's guaranteed 275 million over 10 years, with a possibility of it getting to be like 314 million or something? What do agents make, 10%? I'm sure Boras can live with the 27.5-31.4 million he will be making off of this one deal.

Boras makes 5% but you're point still stands.

I hope the Twins don't get Cabrera. That'd be bad news for other AL Central teams. I can live with them getting a great pitcher because they only play every 5 games.

Tragg
12-03-2007, 09:19 AM
The Twins need to keep him and take the draft picks.