PDA

View Full Version : Winter Meeting shopping list

Fenway
12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Boston Globe's national baseball writer looks at all 30 teams and what they may be looking for

on the White Sox he wrote

CHICAGO. With Orlando Cabrera on board from the Jon Garland deal, the White Sox would love to move former starting shortstop Juan Uribe (and his $4.5 million salary). The White Sox might move more pitching, even with Garland gone. The likely choice there is Jose Contreras, with the feeling that John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Mark Buehrle, and Javier Vazquez are set, and knuckleballer Charlie Haeger and lefty Heath Phillips, the International League Pitcher of the Year in '06, are ready. The ChiSox have a third base surplus with Joe Crede and Josh Fields (23 homers, .480 slugging percentage), though Crede's health after back surgery is still in question. They're in on Rowand but really need two outfielders. They've talked to Boston about Crisp.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/02/whats_the_deal_with_these_meetings/

For the minor league team 8 miles north
CHICAGO. The Cubs might move reliever Ryan Dempster with Kerry Wood now in the fold as the potential closer. They could also move former Red Sox farmhand outfielder Matt Murton, lefty reliever Will Ohman, shortstop Ronny Cedeno, and possibly a starting pitcher, Jason Marquis or Sean Marshall. There's been a lot of speculation about Mark Prior, who is coming off shoulder surgery and might be non-tendered. GM Jim Hendry might be in the market for a center fielder or left fielder. He's dipping into the Japanese market with interest in outfielder Kosuke Fukudome. He'll also seek a lefthanded hitter off the bench and a No. 2 starter. Kuroda is also on their radar.

jamokes
12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I would REALLY love to hear what kind of trade offers get turned down, I'm sure it's just like a poker game!

Sockinchisox
12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
The next 4 days are going to be hectic, thats for sure.

ksimpson14
12-02-2007, 11:12 PM
That's a pretty good gauge on the situation, kudos to the writer

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-03-2007, 12:47 AM
The next 4 days are going to be hectic, thats for sure.

Hopefully Kenny has something to do with that.

Oblong
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Fenway, what kind of reputation does this writer have? Tiger fans had a good laugh at his Tiger preview. We think he just made the stuff up.

Fenway
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Fenway, what kind of reputation does this writer have? Tiger fans had a good laugh at his Tiger preview. We think he just made the stuff up.

Carfardo has a good reputation. What do you find about his Detroit look that is laughable?

DETROIT. Having made a big splash on shortstop Edgar Renteria, the Tigers will try to deepen their starting rotation and add a power bat in left field. One of the rotation issues was solved when the Tigers reupped veteran lefty Kenny Rogers, but they'll also be on the lookout and may consider the Rehab 3 (Matt Clement, Jason Jennings, and Kris Benson) for the fifth starter. Jim Leyland wants another setup man to replace the injured Joel Zumaya. The Tigers are also eyeing Kansas City outfielder David DeJesus, but he might not be available.

Clement from all accounts came out of rehab in decent shape but Boston has no use for him now but he will wind up somewhere.

Oblong
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
We've never heard those names mentioned before as possible acquisitions and the team's said the final starting pitching slot will probably come from within. They also got Jacque Jones to fill most of the playing time in LF. Granted he may not meet the criteria of a "power bat" after 2007 but he's more of one that David DeJesus.

It just struck us as if he didn't do his homework. I know it's hard to do that for 30 teams so it wasn't really big deal. I only asked since you linked to the same story.

duke of dorwood
12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I'd like to take a chance on Murton

champagne030
12-03-2007, 11:03 AM

and knuckleballer Charlie Haeger and lefty Heath Phillips, the International League Pitcher of the Year in '06, are ready.

Yes, the above statement reeks of not knowing ****. I'm pretty sure Kenny would dump Contreras if he didn't need to eat salary, but Phillips and Haegar would be behind Broadway and Gio. And I doubt KW feels "set" with Floyd.

champagne030
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Boston Globe's national baseball writer looks at all 30 teams and what they may be looking for

on the White Sox he wrote

CHICAGO. With Orlando Cabrera on board from the Jon Garland deal, the White Sox would love to move former starting shortstop Juan Uribe (and his $4.5 million salary). The White Sox might move more pitching, even with Garland gone. The likely choice there is Jose Contreras, with the feeling that John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Mark Buehrle, and Javier Vazquez are set, and knuckleballer Charlie Haeger and lefty Heath Phillips, the International League Pitcher of the Year in '06, are ready. The ChiSox have a third base surplus with Joe Crede and Josh Fields (23 homers, .480 slugging percentage), though Crede's health after back surgery is still in question. They're in on Rowand but really need two outfielders. They've talked to Boston about Crisp.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/02/whats_the_deal_with_these_meetings/

Apparently the writer meant ready to be DFA'd. Memo to self: Treat Nick Cafardo's musings like I would the comics.