PDA

View Full Version : Linebrink signing

JohnTucker0814
12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
By us signing Linebrink do we give up our 2nd round pick? From what I read, the other team has to offer that player arbitration to recieve a draft pick. Can anyone clarify this for me?

southsideirish71
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
By us signing Linebrink do we give up our 2nd round pick? From what I read, the other team has to offer that player arbitration to recieve a draft pick. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Kiss the 2nd round draft pick goodbye.

On the good news front that should allow us to spend some money on the first rounder and get more of an impact guy. Say no to Danks brother.

KyWhiSoxFan
12-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Kiss the 2nd round draft pick goodbye.

On the good news front that should allow us to spend some money on the first rounder and get more of an impact guy. Say no to Danks brother.

Danks's brother is not draft eligible until 2009.

btrain929
12-02-2007, 05:09 PM

That's if the player is arbitration eligible (Crede, Miguel Cabrera, etc). I believe you have to be in your first 6 years (I believe) of MLB service to be arbitration eligible. You can't offer a free agent arbitration because they aren't really on that team anymore. Like the Cardinals can't offer arbitration to David Eckstein because he's a free agent and not on the Cardinals anymore. So depending on how good the player is that is a free agent determines what type of draft pick the losing team receives.

So bottom line, teams can receive a draft pick for a player leaving that team via free agency, without arbitration even being in the picture.

Daver
12-02-2007, 05:17 PM
That's if the player is arbitration eligible (Crede, Miguel Cabrera, etc). I believe you have to be in your first 6 years (I believe) of MLB service to be arbitration eligible. You can't offer a free agent arbitration because they aren't really on that team anymore. Like the Cardinals can't offer arbitration to David Eckstein because he's a free agent and not on the Cardinals anymore. So depending on how good the player is that is a free agent determines what type of draft pick the losing team receives.

So bottom line, teams can receive a draft pick for a player leaving that team via free agency, without arbitration even being in the picture.

You're wrong on most of this. You need six years of MLB service time to become a FA. Every player in the league is arbitration eligible, but if you lack the service time for free agency, you have no choice but to accept it. If a team does not offer arbitration to a free agent, they lose all rights to the player and any compensation picks they may have received.

btrain929
12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
You're wrong on most of this. You need six years of MLB service time to become a FA. Every player in the league is arbitration eligible, but if you lack the service time for free agency, you have no choice but to accept it. If a team does not offer arbitration to a free agent, they lose all rights to the player and any compensation picks they may have received.

Ok, my wording was off. Six years til you can become a free agent, I'll give you that. But your bolded statement above, I'm pretty sure, is wrong. EVERY player in the league is not arbitration eligible as you stated. You have to be in the league for a minimum of three years at league minimum before you can receive arbitration (or the Super 2 rule). Bobby Jenks is the example everyone would be familiar with around here. He wasn't arbitration eligible last year, and isn't this year.

Also, I didn't hear or know that the Brewers offered Linebrink arbitration. I keep hearing how Milwaukee will receive picks for him, so maybe they did, he declined, or he signed elsewhere before they could offer it?

Please tell me if I'm wrong in either of these instances, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct for the most part.

Daver
12-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Ok, my wording was off. Six years til you can become a free agent, I'll give you that. But your bolded statements above, I'm pretty sure, are wrong. EVERY player in the league is not arbitration eligible as you stated. You have to be in the league for a minimum of three years at league minimum before you can receive arbitration (or the Super 2 rule). Bobby Jenks is the example everyone would be familiar with around here. He wasn't arbitration eligible last year, and isn't this year.

Also, with guys like Eckstein and Linebrink and even Hunter, they just filed for free agency. Those teams didn't offer arbitration to those players, but they will still receive draft picks once they sign elsewhere. They didn't lose any picks as you stated.

Please tell me if I'm wrong in either of these instances, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct for the most part.

You need three years of MLB service time to be arbitration eligible. A player that is on your roster at the end of the season is considered to be offered arbitration unless you release them at the end of the season, or non tender them, if they file for FA when the signing period opens teams have a week to work out a deal, if that is not done the player is considered to have refused to accept the arbitration process, and therefore cannot negotiate with the team he is leaving, but he was offered arbitration.

btrain929
12-02-2007, 05:48 PM
You need three years of MLB service time to be arbitration eligible. A player that is on your roster at the end of the season is considered to be offered arbitration unless you release them at the end of the season, or non tender them, if they file for FA when the signing period opens teams have a week to work out a deal, if that is not done the player is considered to have refused to accept the arbitration process, and therefore cannot negotiate with the team he is leaving, but he was offered arbitration.

The last part of that is what I was unclear about. That's what I was getting at when I said there's a difference between filing for free agency and just not doing anything. You just worded it better than I did. That makes sense though.

P.S sweet run-on sentence :cool:

Daver
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
P.S sweet run-on sentence :cool:

The scary part is I was an English major a long time ago.