PDA

View Full Version : Rauch's little neurotic quirk?

Pete_SSAC
04-17-2002, 01:18 AM
ANybody else notcie that when he goes back to the dugout, that he doesn't step on the white chalk line between the mound and the dugout. He goes out of his way to step over it.

- Pete

RedPinStripes
04-17-2002, 02:08 AM
Yup. Superstitious i guess. Whatever it was, it worked.

kermittheefrog
04-17-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
ANybody else notcie that when he goes back to the dugout, that he doesn't step on the white chalk line between the mound and the dugout. He goes out of his way to step over it.

- Pete

I noticed that when I saw him in the spring. I love everything about this guy. I don't want to see this but when he gets hit a bit wait till you see him. He's a competitior. You could tell he didn't want to leave the game today. When I saw him in the spring he got into a bases loaded no outs jam and got out of it allowing just 1 run but he still snapped in the dugout and flung his glove into the wall. Man is a guy that big scary when he's pissed.

OfficerKarkovice
04-17-2002, 02:59 AM
I can't imagine it's too hard for the guy to get over the chalk line...I mean Christ about 3 steps and he's in the dugout. I can't wait to see this guy pitch on TV. From what it seems like this guy could be something special.

RedPinStripes
04-17-2002, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I can't imagine it's too hard for the guy to get over the chalk line...I mean Christ about 3 steps and he's in the dugout. I can't wait to see this guy pitch on TV. From what it seems like this guy could be something special.

I was very impressed. Not a bad debut for facing the hottest team in baseball.

Paulwny
04-17-2002, 07:56 AM

- Pete

Not stepping on the white lines is probably the oldest superstition in baseball, check out the players going on and off the field and the manager when he goes to the mound.
Here are the most common superstitions:

Spitting into your hand before picking up the bat is said to bring good luck.
A wad of gum stuck on a player's hat brings good luck.
It is bad luck if a dog walks across the diamond before the first pitch.
Some players believe it is good luck to step on one of the bases before running off the field at the end of an inning.
It is bad luck to touch the baselines while running off and onto the field between innings.
Lending a bat to a fellow player is a serious jinx.
Some players actually sleep with their bat to break out of a hitting slump or stay in a groove.
If a pitcher is throwing a perfect game or a no-hitter, never speak of it while it's going on.

harwar
04-17-2002, 11:36 AM
He did so much better than i thought he would.I noticed that about 90% of the tribune article,about him,was about his fall down the dugout steps.What is wrong with those cubs fans i wonder?

Randar68
04-17-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Not stepping on the white lines is probably the oldest superstition in baseball, check out the players going on and off the field and the manager when he goes to the mound.
Here are the most common superstitions:

Spitting into your hand before picking up the bat is said to bring good luck.
A wad of gum stuck on a player's hat brings good luck.
It is bad luck if a dog walks across the diamond before the first pitch.
Some players believe it is good luck to step on one of the bases before running off the field at the end of an inning.
It is bad luck to touch the baselines while running off and onto the field between innings.
Some players actually sleep with their bat to break out of a hitting slump or stay in a groove.
If a pitcher is throwing a perfect game or a no-hitter, never speak of it while it's going on.

You beat me to it. I would bet 99% of pitchers don't step on the line on purpose, although most don't look as obvious as Jon did last night...

Not as big a deal, seemingly for position players...

NUCatsFan
04-17-2002, 12:09 PM

- Pete

I seem to remember a broadcast a while back with one of our pitchers doing the same. JB perhaps? Did like a little hop over the line. But yeah, it's superstition.

Randar68
04-17-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan

I seem to remember a broadcast a while back with one of our pitchers doing the same. JB perhaps? Did like a little hop over the line. But yeah, it's superstition.

David Wells does it pretty pronounced as well. Amazing he never pulled a Gramatica getting his fat arse in the air like that!

Iwritecode
04-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan

I remember JB had a superstition of letting his afro grow as long as he was winning. I remember something about a pitcher doing a pronouced hop over the line last year I just can't remember who though. I thought it was one of the younger guys...

doctor30th
04-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Yeah he only joins the 70% of major league baseball players that do that.

Pete_SSAC
04-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Tell that one to Robbie Alomar when he barrowed Piazza's bat and hit two homers that day.

- Pete

Dadawg_77
04-17-2002, 01:54 PM
Former Cub now Met(I think) Turk Wendell had some infamous quirks.

Paulwny
04-17-2002, 02:09 PM

Tell that one to Robbie Alomar when he barrowed Piazza's bat and hit two homers that day.

- Pete

I think the hex falls onto Piazza.

pissonthecubs
04-17-2002, 02:19 PM
I was impressed with his starting debut and i want nothing more then to see him win his share of games and be a big part of our rotation. and how about that nasty curve that he got Fryman out with. i don't know if i have ever seen a ball brake like that ever before. then only thing that i can find negitive with him was his high pitch count (in the high 80's after 4 innings), and that our 6'11" pitcher can't overpower batters with a dominate fastball. but like i said, i can't have too many complants after his first start!! Go get 'em Jon!

:julie

Randar68
04-17-2002, 02:56 PM

- Pete

Yeah, or Miguel Olivo, who was using a corked bat he received from a friend on anothe Minor League team!

Chisox_cali
04-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I remember JB had a superstition of letting his afro grow as long as he was winning. I remember something about a pitcher doing a pronouced hop over the line last year I just can't remember who though. I thought it was one of the younger guys...

I remember on opening day that Freddy Garcia does that, it's a real obvious hop.

Paulwny
04-25-2002, 10:08 AM

- Pete

Hex goes to Piazza.
Maybe he shouldn't have given Alomar his bat.

-- Mike Piazza's left hamstring felt better Wednesday, but the New York Mets catcher probably won't return to the lineup for a couple of days.