PDA

View Full Version : Get Carter

hose
12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=2387

Do any of you see Chris Carter playing 1st base for the Sox in 2010 or sooner?

Also what are your opinions on Chris being the Sox best slugging prospect down on the farm?

chaerulez
12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd say he's a legit prospect with a chance to be an everyday player, if not a good one.

sox1970
12-01-2007, 11:43 AM
http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=2387

Do any of you see Chris Carter playing 1st base for the Sox in 2010 or sooner?

Also what are your opinions on Chris being the Sox best slugging prospect down on the farm?

He's got very good power, but I don't see the Sox rushing him. He'll probably be at high-A Winston-Salem next year, Birmingham in 09, and Charlotte in 2010. That is if he doesn't get traded. Supposedly he's a butcher in the field, so hopefully three more years in the minors will turn him into a serviceable first baseman.

Domeshot17
12-01-2007, 01:28 PM
He's got very good power, but I don't see the Sox rushing him. He'll probably be at high-A Winston-Salem next year, Birmingham in 09, and Charlotte in 2010. That is if he doesn't get traded. Supposedly he's a butcher in the field, so hopefully three more years in the minors will turn him into a serviceable first baseman.

I have heard/read the same thing about his glove. I think we are pretty spoiled to have Konerko and both his offensive and defensive skills, taking his D for granted often.

I see him getting his taste of the bigs in PK's final year of his current deal as they try and decide if he can handle first while PK moves to DH for the last years of his career (as he looks at 500 homers with the Sox!)

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 03:04 PM
His D supposedly improved quite a bit since moving permanently from third to first. We need more like him.

Besides Carter, we have Shelby, Sweeney, Getz, Lucy, maybe Collaro although its a stretch IMO, maybe Orlando, maybe Valido, maybe Francisco Hernandez, Schnurstein if you really want to stretch although his lack of a callup back to Double A this season IMO shows what the Sox think of him (nothing), maybe Gomes, Sergio Miranda looks good, maybe Brandon Allen, and that's about it for position player prospects above Rookie ball.

So yeah, Carter rules and we need him. He's the only one on that list who should be untouchable. The next closest should be Miranda since he's a SS and has hit well since the draft (.301/.397/.380 in 68 games between Rookie ball and Kanny last year, with only 7 being with Great Falls).

California Sox
12-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Carter is my favorite prospect right now, which almost guarantees he'll be traded. My biggest question with him is how will being hit in the face near the end of the year affect him? Haven't heard that anything was broken and I assume he played in instructional league, but I still worry.

Meanwhile, the guys who really turned it on in the second half at Kanny were Gomes and Shelby. It's unfortunate Shelby couldn't stick at 2nd, but as soon as he moved to the outfield his bat took off. Similarly, Gomes left to play for the Brazil team in the Pan Am games, and when he came back he was lights out. Hopefully those guys can build on that.

My question for next year is who makes the jump to AA? No way Orlando is ready. Gartrell only had a month at W-S but he's 23 and needs to be rushed. I wonder if Shelby or Gomes skips a level ala CYoung.

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Carter is my favorite prospect right now, which almost guarantees he'll be traded. My biggest question with him is how will being hit in the face near the end of the year affect him? Haven't heard that anything was broken and I assume he played in instructional league, but I still worry.

Meanwhile, the guys who really turned it on in the second half at Kanny were Gomes and Shelby. It's unfortunate Shelby couldn't stick at 2nd, but as soon as he moved to the outfield his bat took off. Similarly, Gomes left to play for the Brazil team in the Pan Am games, and when he came back he was lights out. Hopefully those guys can build on that.

My question for next year is who makes the jump to AA? No way Orlando is ready. Gartrell only had a month at W-S but he's 23 and needs to be rushed. I wonder if Shelby or Gomes skips a level ala CYoung.

Ahh, I was wondering why Gomes was out of the lineup so much last year. Didn't know he was playing in another league. I just thought the Sox had given up on hi or something. I know he was pretty highly touted when we signed him as a converted pitcher. I think we gave him something like 300K.

btrain929
12-01-2007, 06:18 PM
His D supposedly improved quite a bit since moving permanently from third to first. We need more like him.

Besides Carter, we have Shelby, Sweeney, Getz, Lucy, maybe Collaro although its a stretch IMO, maybe Orlando, maybe Valido, maybe Francisco Hernandez, Schnurstein if you really want to stretch although his lack of a callup back to Double A this season IMO shows what the Sox think of him (nothing), maybe Gomes, Sergio Miranda looks good, maybe Brandon Allen, and that's about it for position player prospects above Rookie ball.

So yeah, Carter rules and we need him. He's the only one on that list who should be untouchable. The next closest should be Miranda since he's a SS and has hit well since the draft (.301/.397/.380 in 68 games between Rookie ball and Kanny last year, with only 7 being with Great Falls).

Another name I'd add to that list is the 24 year old 5'8 OF'er Archie Gilbert. Like the last few names you mentioned, he might be a long shot, but in Great Falls last year, he hit .332/.408 with 35 sb's. This year in Kanny, he had a little drop off because of the tougher competition, but still hit .289/.372 with 35 sb's again. Both years he slugged around .450, which isn't bad at all for a potential top of the order guy. He also only struck out 39 times in 342 ab's. Because of his stature, I don't know about his defense/arm, but i've followed his stats the past 2 years, and think it'd be amazing if he could be an impact top of the order player one day ala Chone Figgins.

rdivaldi
12-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Chris is one of our top hitting prospects; however, unless he cuts down on that swing I don't think he'll make it in the bigs. It's not his fault that he's such a big guy (6'4") but he needs to make quite a few adjustments. I'll be interested to see what they do with him in ST.

Palehose Pete
12-01-2007, 08:55 PM
[quote=I see him getting his taste of the bigs in PK's final year of his current deal as they try and decide if he can handle first while PK moves to DH for the last years of his career (as he looks at 500 homers with the Sox!)[/quote]

I like where your head's at!!

:smile:

PalehosePlanet
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I have heard/read the same thing about his glove. I think we are pretty spoiled to have Konerko and both his offensive and defensive skills, taking his D for granted often.

I see him getting his taste of the bigs in PK's final year of his current deal as they try and decide if he can handle first while PK moves to DH for the last years of his career (as he looks at 500 homers with the Sox!)

Atta boy Dome!! :gulp:

Also, I really like Carter's prigress so far: I like the avg. and power numbers and a pretty good OBP too boot. We'll know more by the middle of next year; hopefully he keeps getting better.

The Wimperoo
12-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Carter is my favorite prospect right now, which almost guarantees he'll be traded.

:(:

soxwon
12-03-2007, 01:59 PM
rumors the Sox have dealt Chris Carter to the Diamondbacks for Carlos Quentin. Any confirmation on this?
MLBRadio is reporting this. No official press release yet.

DumpJerry
12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
He gone. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95257)

I guess someone in the D-Backs' organization lurks here and saw this thread title.

Crede_Fan
12-03-2007, 02:35 PM

There you go. Who's next?

santo=dorf
12-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Carter is my favorite prospect right now, which almost guarantees he'll be traded.
Cali, all you need to do now is claim you have a source and some of the guys will be eating out of your hands. :cool:

kjhanson
12-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Cali, all you need to do now is claim you have a source and some of the guys will be eating out of your hands. :cool:

Yeah, no kidding. I read your (Cali) post about 6 hours ago and sure enough he's already gone. Your next favorite prospect should be someone who sucks.

Rockin Robin
12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Juan Uribe is my favorite player on the current roster...

doublem23
12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I wonder if this works transitively for other teams to trade players to us, too....

My favorite MLB players right now are Johan Santana, Dan Haren, and Miguel Cabrera.

California Sox
12-03-2007, 09:07 PM

Wow. That didn't take long.

Quentin is a great athlete who certainly knows how to get hit by a pitch. But he looked overmatched last year in the bigs. Hopefully that's just an aberration.

I have to stop knowing who the Sox best prospects are, that way I won't have to go through the heartache.