PDA

View Full Version : Enemy Home Run Balls


Viva Magglio
04-16-2002, 11:11 PM
For the love of God, stop throwing the g**damn things back onto the field. This is not g**damn Wrigley Field. Before each game, Gene Honda should specifically instruct the fans not to throw enemy home run balls onto the field. Also, the outfielders should be instructed to toss balls thrown onto the field right back into the outfield stands. Any White Sox fan who performs this heinous act should be defrocked.

MarqSox
04-16-2002, 11:15 PM
You are so right, I can't STAND it when Sox fans throw balls back on the field. People, it won't take the run off the board! You aren't hurting the other team's feelings by throwing it back. All you do is give a nod to the drunks on the North Side who don't understand baseball. Keep the frickin' ball!

GASHWOUND
04-16-2002, 11:31 PM
Yeah, when Branyan hit is solo I didn't actually see the guy who threw it back cause theydidn't show it, but Farmer mentioned it and got really upset.

I hope when he did it he got a scolding by our fellow fans

Chisox353014
04-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
For the love of God, stop throwing the g**damn things back onto the field. This is not g**damn Wrigley Field. Before each game, Gene Honda should specifically instruct the fans not to throw enemy home run balls onto the field. Also, the outfielders should be instructed to toss balls thrown onto the field right back into the outfield stands. Any White Sox fan who performs this heinous act should be defrocked.

Amen to that.

MarqSox
04-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Yeah, when Branyan hit is solo I didn't actually see the guy who threw it back cause theydidn't show it, but Farmer mentioned it and got really upset.

I hope when he did it he got a scolding by our fellow fans

At the game Saturday, a Sox Fan caught Batista's home run and all these other "Sox Fans" were harrassing him to throw it back. There were a few of us talking sense to them, but we were greatly outnumbered. It was very disheartening.

MattSharp
04-16-2002, 11:55 PM
I always go nuts on stupid fans who throw this back. I also tend to yell when fans inist on doing the damn wave. Go to the north side if you are gonna do that crap......

GASHWOUND
04-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox


At the game Saturday, a Sox Fan caught Batista's home run and all these other "Sox Fans" were harrassing him to throw it back. There were a few of us talking sense to them, but we were greatly outnumbered. It was very disheartening.

What?! Good god, what's with these people. Did anyone say "This ain't Wrigley!" or something to that effect?
I would like to know why these "Sox" fans would want to do anything associated with cub fans! (like throwing the ball back)

So I'm assuming he threw the ball back...

MarqSox
04-17-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


What?! Good god, what's with these people. Did anyone say "This ain't Wrigley" or something to that effect?
I would like to know why these "Sox" fans would want to do anything associated with cub fans! (like throwing the ball back)

So I'm assuming he threw the ball back...

Actually, he kept the ball, and of course half the section booed him for it...

On top of that, I was yelling "Go to the North Side for that crap! Keep the ball!" and this loser in the row ahead of me, wearing a Sox hat, says "It doesn't matter where you are, you throw it back no matter what!" And I told him that was the stupidest thing I'd heard since last July when I was in Wrigley.

kermittheefrog
04-17-2002, 12:13 AM
This is really out of hand. They are doing this throw back opposing home run balls thing all over the majors now. It's screwed up, the way people have always fought for every ball entering the stands and now they are throwing them back. It's a damn souvenoir, take it home.

Nice article about this crap:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1200130.html

RedPinStripes
04-17-2002, 01:42 AM
i tried starting a new tradition at Comiskey in 93, but i got kicked out for it. I watched 2 home run balls get thrown on the field in the same game so me and guido wanted to start a new tradition. I caught a homer off someone's hands in RF, ran to the top of the section and threw it over the Winston sign over the RF wall.
Yeah, it's a toss, but that could have bben a Comiskey tradition that failed.

Seconds later i had Chicago's finest escorting me out. Since that day, I hate Jessie Barfield. It was his HR and i didn't want it.

Mathew
04-17-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
This is really out of hand. They are doing this throw back opposing home run balls thing all over the majors now. It's screwed up, the way people have always fought for every ball entering the stands and now they are throwing them back. It's a damn souvenoir, take it home.

Nice article about this crap:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1200130.html

At least he makes reference to the losing tradition at Wrigley.


"Seconds later i had Chicago's finest escorting me out. Since that day, I hate Jessie Barfield. It was his HR and i didn't want it."


I hate Jesse Barfield too, but I must admit you win, I don't have nearly as good a reason. Can't believe they tossed you.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2002, 02:30 AM
Ladies and Gents!

If you should be lucky enough to catch a homerun ball hit by our opposition, please don't throw it back! If you don't want it simply look for a kid nearby, I'm sure that he/she will appreciate it if you gave them the ball! By giving a kid a ball you make their day and also avoid the "throw it back" chant! Should anyone insist that the kid throw it back simply tell this lost soul that this only happens on the "North Side" and if he/she looks confused ask him to take off his/her Cubs hat and punch him/her between the eyes! :smile:

This Public Service Announcement was paid for by C.A.S.T. (Citizens Against Stupid Traditions)
Thank You and have a nice day! :smile:

RedPinStripes
04-17-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Ladies and Gents!

If you should be lucky enough to catch a homerun ball hit by our opposition, please don't throw it back! If you don't want it simply look for a kid nearby, I'm sure that he/she will appreciate it if you gave them the ball! By giving a kid a ball you make their day and also avoid the "throw it back" chant! Should anyone insist that the kid throw it back simply tell this lost soul that this only happens on the "North Side" and if he/she looks confused ask him to take off his/her Cubs hat and punch him/her between the eyes! :smile:

This Public Service Announcement was paid for by C.A.S.T. (Citizens Against Stupid Traditions)
Thank You and have a nice day! :smile:

LOL! I agree with that.

Procol Harum
04-17-2002, 10:26 AM
This tossing back of opposition hr balls is a distressing development. In fact, as a sociological issue I'm afraid it's throwing me into something of a tizzy. One might expect that the outfield crowd would most likely be the "salt of the earth" Sox fan without access to the corporate season ticket boxes. Yet, from testimony within this thread, a large % of folks in the bleachers--at Comiskey By God Park, Americans--were backing this hideous practice which, aside from infant sacrifice and bride burning, is one of the most repugnant rituals ever devised.

What this may, in fact, reveal--particularly in tandem with Tuesday night's bonehead behavior out there--is that the casual know-nothing Chicago "baseball fan" (known more simply in the local community outside his ballpark setting as an a**wipe) has begun to migrate back to Comiskey. Whatever the case, a major educational effort on the part of all true Sox fans is a must. Spread the word, brothers and sisters--keep the stinkin' ball!
:reinsy
"You can keep every home run ball that's hit into the stands . . . and don't say I never gave ya anything."

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Spread the word, brothers and sisters--keep the stinkin' ball!
:

I stand by my previous post! C.A.S.T. will soon begin to spread the word! We should sell some C.A.S.T. T-shirts and put all our posts on the back! Then slowly but surely our message will be conveyed!
Also I think that we might have some out of towners who believe that this practice goes on both sides of Chicago! When the Sox are on WGN, we should have Hawk and DJ remind everyone that is watching that we don't throw back visitors' home runs!

pissonthecubs
04-17-2002, 01:41 PM
we can only hope that anyone who thinks about throwing back an opponents home run ball will be hung by their toes and beaten with a flock of ball pen hammers and have their fingernails pulled out. how could any true sox fan want to do anything that is so f***ing flubs like!!!!!

if anything, give the ball to someone else who would want a ball, or give it to a kid who it would really mean something to.



:julie

duke of dorwood
04-17-2002, 01:49 PM
And practice that WAVE too. This is revolting.

Nellie_Fox
04-17-2002, 01:53 PM
There are only a limited number of "real" hardcore baseball fans in any city. They are not large enough in number to truly support a major league team.

If the Sox start drawing the kind of numbers we'd all like to see, a large chunk of every crowd will be the clueless trendoid sort who do whatever is the current rave, be it the wave, throwing the ball back, talking on the cell phone to people watching the game so they know when to wave at the camera, etc. I'm afraid that it is, and always will be, the price of success.

Cheryl
04-17-2002, 07:43 PM
I was at a game last year where a bunch of loser Cub fans were yelling at someone to throw the ball back. I sicced Security on them. The officer was GREAT---he explained to this pack of Neanderthals that 'this is the South side--we don't do that here.'

guillen4life13
04-17-2002, 08:45 PM
at the game on sunday, i think melvin mora hit one. everyone was telling the guy that he should throw the ball back. i just didn't say anything at all, except boo the player.

there isn't really a point to throwing it back, so i would say that the guy should keep it. that's how you do it really.

doublem23
04-17-2002, 10:05 PM
Hey, how bout this for the next batch of WSI shirts?

REAL Sox fans keep their balls...

Whadaya say, PHG? :D:

Mathew
04-18-2002, 01:38 AM
Sorry about this post but why is graduation after the end of school doublem?

RedPinStripes
04-18-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Hey, how bout this for the next batch of WSI shirts?

REAL Sox fans keep their balls...

Whadaya say, PHG? :D:

*****! Yes!!!!!!!!!!

foulkesfan11
04-18-2002, 08:55 AM
I hate it too when the ball is thrown back, it's almost as bad as doing the wave! As long as bandwagon fans invade our ballpark, they will keep doing this.