PDA

View Full Version : Rays Sign Percival

colles9
11-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Troy Percival to a two-year contract worth $8 million on Friday morning,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071130&content_id=2314215&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Troy Percival to a two-year contract worth $8 million on Friday morning,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071130&content_id=2314215&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

That's a lot of money for that old horse. And people say that Linebrink was overpaid.

colles9
11-30-2007, 12:59 PM
That's a lot of money for that old horse. And people say that Linebrink was overpaid.

He did have a good season with the Red Birds last season but he was out of baseball for 2 years prior.

soxinem1
11-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Not bad for a guy with two years rest.

Hope this does not fall with the Wilson Alvarez and Juan Guzman signings.

doublem23
12-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Two tears? Eight million?

:o:

Tragg
12-01-2007, 08:06 AM
The Rays are now into pitching. SUrely we can move some of our excess in mediocre relief pitching and get something from them.

DumpJerry
12-01-2007, 08:21 AM
My sources tell me that Percival is at his most effective when he has a Juan Uribe-type of Shortstop playing behind and really struggles when there is a Carl Crawford-type outfielder on the team.

infohawk
12-01-2007, 08:24 AM
I don't understand why they would sink $8 million over two years into a closer when they're certainly not going to be challenging for the division during that time period. Couldn't they have found a better use for the money? The only other consideration I can think of is that they are investing the money in the hope that he pitches well, stays healthy and, given the market for closers these days, they can move him to a contender at the trade deadline for more prospects. In this respect, its a calculated risk.

California Sox
12-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm not so sure the Rays believe they won't be contending. They're problem is their pitching staff, especially their bullpen which has been horrid the last couple of years. They're building a lineup of extreme magnitude. Crawford and Upton are studs. Longoria will be their best player and they're about to add Pedro Alvarez to the mix. A couple of veteran pitchers is exactly what they need. Not sure Percival's the answer but "what do we do about the bullpen?" was certainly the question.

tebman
12-01-2007, 09:35 AM
My sources tell me that Percival is at his most effective when he has a Juan Uribe-type of Shortstop playing behind and really struggles when there is a Carl Crawford-type outfielder on the team.
:rolling:

:thumbsup:

TDog
12-01-2007, 01:46 PM

I don't have the same sources, but I am guessing that Percival is still more effective when he has Juan Uribe at the plate.

soxfanreggie
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
With their young talent, they might as well try and sign a few risky veterans. With the Yankee$ and Red $ox seemingly with their own mints in their GM's offices, you have to take some risks, in this cases a major one, to make a run. If they can get some bullpen help behind Kazmir and the offense, they might have a better shot to breaking .500. The Rays have a great stockpile of young talent, but you need corresponding veteran help to help win.

Granted this is not the move I would make, but you have to give them credit for finally doing something.