PDA

View Full Version : Millidge to Nats for Schneider & Church

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Here (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/)

On the surface it looks like a good baseball trade, but the Nats could end up getting a steal here IMO.

PS I hope we're still not bashing MLB Trade Rumors. It's a good site.

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Actually, its Milledge... my bad; typo in the thread title.

doublem23
11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Is this official? I'm not bashing your site, but I don't see any confirmation from a credible news source.

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Is this official? I'm not bashing your site, but I don't see any confirmation from a credible news source.
It should be. It says it's been reported on the radio station out there as a done deal but there's no official story yet. It should be credible though because the guy who runs that site doesn't post stuff as done unless it has been reported as being done. But then again, I dunno. It seems like a logical trade for both teams anyway, since the Nats need youth with upside and the Mets supposedly have soured on Milledge and need a backup plan for Moises Alou. Plus they want another catcher so they can have three, I guess. I think they'll dump Johnny Estrada, and I think they only made that move to dump Guillermo Mota's contract.

Actually, how about Toby Hall for Estrada? He can hit. That one is not official though; just my own idea. :cool:

Over By There
11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
ESPN Radio was reporting it over the lunch hour, so I think it's official.

soxinem1
11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
It should be. It says it's been reported on the radio station out there as a done deal but there's no official story yet. It should be credible though because the guy who runs that site doesn't post stuff as done unless it has been reported as being done. But then again, I dunno. It seems like a logical trade for both teams anyway, since the Nats need youth with upside and the Mets supposedly have soured on Milledge and need a backup plan for Moises Alou. Plus they want another catcher so they can have three, I guess. I think they'll dump Johnny Estrada, and I think they only made that move to dump Guillermo Mota's contract.

Actually, how about Toby Hall for Estrada? He can hit. That one is not official though; just my own idea. :cool:

Whay? Neither of them can throw.

Toby Hall is worth about as much as Ryan Buckvich right now, and that is not a lot.

KRS1
11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
It was on the bottom line on ESPNews, so my guess is that it's true. Schneider is solid behind the plate, and has good patience at the dish, but isn't much of a hitter at all. Church is a good left-handed bat to add to a team, is cheap, has been overlooked and under appreciated by the Nats, and can play all three OF positions well. Lastings could be a stud, and had a pretty good 07' season, so this trade could turn out great for the Nats. However, I like Church a lot, and think he is a nice addition to any team(starter on some, key bench player on others).

BadBobbyJenks
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Unbelievable how far his value fell. Goes from the centerpiece of a deal for an ace to landing a good defensive catcher with no bat and a 4th outfielder.

Sockinchisox
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow, Mets gave away Milledge for pretty much nothing.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Nats have the potential for a steal. Even if Milledge hits .280 the rest of his career, they still got the better end of it.

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Whay? Neither of them can throw.

Toby Hall is worth about as much as Ryan Buckvich right now, and that is not a lot.
Well, at least 2/5 of our current pitching rotation sucks at holding on runners anyway. As a backup I'd like Estrada's bat and I'd like him as a late inning PH.

Toby has zero value, yes. The reason I mentioned it as an idea is because isn't Hall only making like $1mil or something? Could be a salary dump for the Mets who looked like they just wanted out of Mota's contract as it was.

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Nats have the potential for a steal. Even if Milledge hits .280 the rest of his career, they still got the better end of it.

I agree. While the Mets filled a couple of holes here with this move, I'm shocked they had to do it with a good prospect.

DSpivack
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Mets get a decent catcher and an platoon OF, while Milledge has yet to really do anything in the majors. Don't see it as a bad move for the Mets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/30/AR2007113001286.html

ndgt10
11-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Unbelievable how far his value fell. Goes from the centerpiece of a deal for an ace to landing a good defensive catcher with no bat and a 4th outfielder.
Yeah, the Mets could have dealt him last year straight up for Roy Oswalt.

Huisj
11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Well, at least 2/5 of our current pitching rotation sucks at holding on runners anyway. As a backup I'd like Estrada's bat and I'd like him as a late inning PH.

Toby has zero value, yes. The reason I mentioned it as an idea is because isn't Hall only making like $1mil or something? Could be a salary dump for the Mets who looked like they just wanted out of Mota's contract as it was.

But if they're looking to dump Estrada because they have three catchers now, why would they trade for another catcher since that would still leave them with 3 catchers?

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
But if they're looking to dump Estrada because they have three catchers now, why would they trade for another catcher since that would still leave them with 3 catchers?
To release him? Or get rid of him for a bag of balls? DFA him? I dunno. I just figured that's how salary dumps work. One team dumps a bad contract for a lesser bad contract and so on until they come across one manageable enough to just eat?

Anyway, I wish ninjas like KW weren't always so elusive. While I don't know if we would have been able to match up with the Mets anywhere to actually fill holes on their team, we easily could have offered more talent than this IMO. I wouldn't have had a problem giving up one of our young pitchers plus maybe a bullpen arm, depending on who the starter was, to get Milledge in our OF.

Trav
11-30-2007, 04:31 PM
It's easy to see why the Mets gave up on Lastings so fast. I got to watch him play while I lived in Norfolk. He is a great athlete and a pretty good outfielder. But he is lazy, runs his mouth, and has a bad attitude. That was clear. Every game I watched him play he ran his mouth at the umps and I was amazed he didn't get tossed in most of them. The Mets GM never took in one game of his AAA team during the last year they were affiliated. It is amazing that the organization allowed Milledge to get to that point, but they didn't have to lose out too much when that other kid shot up and started playing well for them.

The Immigrant
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Because Toby Hall can also play 1B in a pinch?

:duck:

ksimpson14
11-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Wow, Omar (and possibly Randolph) might not have a job before the 09 season. Well, at least it'll be a fresh start into the new park

santo=dorf
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Closer to $2 million:
signed 2-year deal worth $3.65M thru 2008 season on 12/17/06- + he receives salaries of $1.75M each year in 2007 and 2008- + the deal includes a team option for 2009 worth $2.25M or a $150K buyout- + 2006 salary: $2.25M, 2005: $1.95M (+ $950K deferred w/out interest; + $50K in performance bonuses)

If Jose Molina signs his rumored deal with the Yanks, I believe Hall will be the third highest paid back up in the league. (assuming the cubs are smart enough to make Soto their primary catcher.)

I can't help but notice how many inter-division trades have been made over the past few years.

Brian26
11-30-2007, 07:51 PM
PS I hope we're still not bashing MLB Trade Rumors. It's a good site.

I'll give the guy credit for keeping the site updated consistently during the day and even on the weekends.

Otherwise, the anti-White Sox/pro Cub bias on that site is nauseating. Most of his Chicago rumors are off Levineline on AM 1000 or Kaplan on WGN.

I'm actually secretly rooting for the Sox to make a play for Fukodome. I'd love to see this guy's take on that acquisition after he was pushing so hard that the Cubs would have him locked up/done deal.

BadBobbyJenks
12-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I for one would have traded AJ in a heartbeart for lastings, would the rest of you?

veeter
12-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I for one would have traded AJ in a heartbeart for lastings, would the rest of you?No, because replacing AJ would be very tough. Some think he's the heart and soul of the team.