PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 12-1

Lip Man 1
11-30-2007, 11:37 AM
December 1, 1964 - The Sox trade pitcher Frank Baumann to the Cubs for catcher Jimmie Schaffer. It was the first time the two Chicago clubs ever made a direct trade with each other.

December 1, 1970 - For the second and final time the White Sox trade Luis Aparicio. The future Hall of Fame shortstop is sent to the Red Sox for infielders Luis Alvarado and Mike Andrews. Those players helped the Sox in the early 70's but this is one Roland Hemond trade, that some have second guessed. In 1972 had the Sox had Aparicio to provide some stability to the infield, they may have copped the Western Division title. Lee ’Bee-Bee’ Richards and Rich Morales simply weren’t the answer at short that season. (Andrews talked about his reaction to the trade in his interview with White Sox Interactive.)

December 1, 1998 - Popular and proficient 3rd baseman Robin Ventura signs a contract with the Mets. Ventura, who was an outspoken critic of the ‘White Flag" trade, won five Gold Gloves in his time on the South Side. He was also one of the most powerful hitters at that position in club history.

http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/c6/b7/6ef3_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-Topps-774-Luis-Alvarado-EX-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ130177297682QQihZ003QQcategoryZ60501Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing) http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/c6/b6/8dc1_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-Topps-361-Mike-Andrews-EXMT-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ130177293389QQihZ003QQcategoryZ60501Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing)

Lip

Dan Mega
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I remember being horribly upset when Rockin' Robin signed elsewhere. That day I almost lost my Sox allegience.

SoxFanSince67
11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I remember being so so disappointed when I read the article in the sports sction of the Fort Wayne, Indiana paper about Apracio being traded!

Dan Mega
11-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I remember being so so disappointed when I read the article in the sports sction of the Fort Wayne, Indiana paper about Apracio being traded!

Now where is that old man smiley? :cool:

chisox77
11-30-2007, 09:33 PM
There were quite a few teams interested in signing Ventura besides the Mets. Weren't the Rangers pursuing him as well (which is kind of ironic)?

:cool:

ChiSoxGirl
11-30-2007, 10:24 PM
December 1, 1998 - Popular and proficient 3rd baseman Robin Ventura signs a contract with the Mets. Ventura, who was an outspoken critic of the ‘White Flag" trade, won five Gold Gloves in his time on the South Side. He was also one of the most powerful hitters at that position in club history.

Lip

And thus followed the only hate letter I've ever written- it was addressed directly to Uncle Jerry.

BRDSR
11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Man, Robin was so cool. In a few months we'll get to the day that Robin's bone protruded through his skin sliding into home in a spring training game. In some ways, that was worse because Robin was (is) one of the only White Sox players that I have really liked independent of him being on the White Sox. Mark Buerhle would fall into that category, too. But even guys like Frank Thomas wouldn't; I don't really get the feeling I would like him much if he didn't hit almost 500 home runs with the White Sox.

Railsplitter
12-01-2007, 07:04 AM
December 1, 1964 - The Sox trade pitcher Frank Baumann to the Cubs for catcher Jimmie Schaffer. It was the first time the two Chicago clubs ever made a direct trade with each other.

Lip

It should be said the interleague trading didn't start until after the 1959 season, and there was a window of about three weeks when it could be done.

TommyJohn
12-01-2007, 08:10 AM
My gosh, I just remembered. There is another December 1 date associated
with the White Sox, this one very tragic.

On December 1, 1975, former White Sox second baseman and Go-Go Sox
sparkplug Nellie Fox died of cancer at the too young age of 47. To say that
Nellie is a White Sox legend is to undertstate it. He personified the spirit
of the 1950's White Sox with his constant hustle and drive. Those White Sox
teams always were not quite as good as the Yankees, but gave it all they
had, like Nellie Fox himself. He was never a dangerous slugger like Mickey
Mantle or a base-stealing thief like Luis Aparicio, but he took the talent he
was given and made himself into a star.

Sadly, he would not be elected to the Hall of Fame until 1997, 22 years after
his death. A great life ended much too soon.

Hitmen77
12-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Lip

I was very disappointed to see Robin go. He was my favorite player. I will never forget his "walk-off" grand slam against Goose Gossage on 7/31/91. That was magical. Robin is tied for 4th for the most grand slams in MLB history.

I was amazed at the time that the Sox could give Albert Belle a huge contract and then 2 years later we had to let a home-grown, gold glove, good hitting, fan favorite 3B go because we couldn't afford to offer him a competitive contract.

Didn't Albert Belle opt out of his contract shortly afterwards? That took 2 big bats out of our lineup.

Robin then went on to have an MVP-type career year with the Mets in 1999. Was that the year of his famous "grand slam single" in the NL playoffs? But, after that one great year, he hit .232 in 2000 and .237 in 2001 and never hit above.250 again for his career.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Both left at the same time only for different reasons.

Belle had a clause put into his deal, I don't know if it was by JR to give him an 'out' or by the folks representing Belle, that he had the right to declare for free agency if he wasn't one of the three highest paid players in baseball.

In order to keep Belle if memory serves they would have had to increase his salary by about a million a season. They decided not to which meant the free agent clause went into effect.

Lip