PDA

View Full Version : New Day, New Rumor

DeadMoney
11-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=157):

Nov. 30 - 1:34 am et
Unwilling to pay the price for Aaron Rowand, the White Sox are looking at signing Kosuke Fukudome or trading for Jason Bay.

Bringing in an expensive left fielder like Fukudome could cause them to go cheap in center or perhaps even stick with Jerry Owens there. Fukudome's left-handed bat would seem to make more sense than another right-hander in Bay, especially since the White Sox don't have a lot of depth to trade from.

How I feel:
Rumors ... ugh ... whatever.

Everyday, we seem to be hearing new things about someone from from another team (or, in this case, another country). Don't you just love the off season!?

ksimpson14
11-30-2007, 02:00 AM
His last name is a good name for where the Twins play

pmck003
11-30-2007, 03:20 AM

:D:

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-30-2007, 04:33 AM
I wouldn't mind Bay for LF, but I thought I read he had knee issues last year?

WhiteSox5187
11-30-2007, 05:01 AM
I've heard the Cubs were all over Fukodome...again, if the price is right I'd do it...we'll see. He can lead off, right?

dickallen15
11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Fukudome would be a nice signing, but I have a hard time believing the White Sox would win a bidding war for him, although they did for Linebrink.

Sockinchisox
11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd like to see us make a run at Fukudome, a guy with his on base skills at the top of the lineup would really help.

I'd think the Pirates would ask something ridiculous for Bay so I'm not holding my breath on him. Although this is the Pirates we're talking about.

Jurr
11-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Well, I live in the 'burgh, and everybody's kinda down on Bay around here. If they received good value, I could see it.

Pittsburgh was really going to market around Bay as their "Crosby/Roethlisberger" guy for baseball, but the fan's aren't huge on him. That entire plan was shot to hell when the injury bug started creeping up on him.

champagne030
11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
I've heard the Cubs were all over Fukodome...again, if the price is right I'd do it...we'll see. He can lead off, right?

While he's posted a high OBP, he's not your typical leadoff guy. Are we moving Dye to left? He's a RF. His season was cut short last year due to having bone chips removed from his elbow. I doubt we outbid for his services, but if Kenny gets down to option 1S who knows.

minutia
11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I was thinking the same thing. :smile:

cbrownson13
11-30-2007, 11:55 AM

And could make for an interesting nickname and/or chants at the ballpark. What is the actual pronunciation?

jabrch
11-30-2007, 12:14 PM
And could make for an interesting nickname and/or chants at the ballpark. What is the actual pronunciation?

Phonetically - Foo Koo DOUGH May

DSpivack
11-30-2007, 12:17 PM

I believe it's foo-koo-doe-may.

DrCrawdad
11-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Ken Rosenthal (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7506740) mentions the Sox interest in Fukudome...

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8833097_6_1.jpg
The Sox are among the teams interested in Japanese free-agent outfielder Kosuke Fukudome, a rival GM says, and also are exploring a possible deal for Pirates left fielder Jason Bay.

PalehosePlanet
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Ken Rosenthal from fox sports has the same rumor in his column today.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7506740

It doesn't say what the Pirates might want for Bay, or what Fukudome might expect as far as years and money.

Also, he states, that the stalemate with Rowand is regarding years with no mention of money. We're willing to do 4, he wants 5 or 6.

wulfy
11-30-2007, 12:23 PM

It doesn't say what the Pirates might want for Bay, or what Fukudome might expect as far as years and money.

Also, he states, that the stalemate with Rowand is regarding years with no mention of money. We're willing to do 4, he wants 5 or 6.

What type of package could land Bay? Anyone know how much he makes and how long he is under team control?

Could a package of Haeger/Russell and Anderson get it done? Historically, the Pirates seem to take less (i.e. Ramirez to the Cubs??) in return than other teams for some of their veterans.

DrCrawdad
11-30-2007, 12:27 PM

I can imagine Nancy Faust (when or if she's there) playing The Beatles, "I Am The Walrus" as Fukudome is announced.

http://www.norwegianwood.org/beatles/disko/ep/mmtep.jpg

PalehosePlanet
11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
What type of package could land Bay? Anyone know how much he makes and how long he is under team control?

Could a package of Haeger/Russell and Anderson get it done? Historically, the Pirates seem to take less (i.e. Ramirez to the Cubs??) in return than other teams for some of their veterans.

Bay has 2 years remaining at 13.25 total (5.75 in '08 and 7.5 in '09).

As fas as The Pirates not being as demanding as other teams in trades, I don't think that is the case any longer. I've seen quotes from the GM stating that he won't be fleesed and if anyone wants one of his players they would have to pay a heavy price.

I personally would not give up Fields or Gio in this deal; de los Santos I might consider since he is a little less proven.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I could certainly live with Bay in left field.

Lip

Sockinchisox
11-30-2007, 01:01 PM
A Crede + prospects deal might get the Pirates interested.

santo=dorf
11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Swallowing Matt Morris' entire contract would get the Pirates more interested.

Jimmy Piersall
11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
We have enough slow power hitters as it is.Kenny needs to use what
chips he has on pitching.Think front to middle of the rotation kind of
guy first,then relief,then an outfielder who is not slower than our
current clydesdales.

ndgt10
11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Not to give myself props, but I broke that Jason Bay thing a week or two ago.

Ah hell, I'll give myself props.:bandance:

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 01:39 PM
That's not a bad idea. Then we could just dump him off on either the Cubs or Reds around the AllStar break; you know, because they're the Cubs and Reds.

DrCrawdad
11-30-2007, 01:47 PM
We have enough slow power hitters as it is. Kenny needs to use what chips he has on pitching. Think front to middle of the rotation kind of guy first, then relief, then an outfielder who is not slower than our current clydesdales.

Are you implying that Bay and/or Fukudome is slow? I'm asking because I don't know about either players speed or lack thereof.

getonbckthr
11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94534

Sockinchisox
11-30-2007, 02:11 PM

Well, obviously but Bautista isn't anything and the Pirates might be one of the few teams that would be interested in Crede.

Jimmy Piersall
11-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Are you implying that Bay and/or Fukudome is slow? I'm asking because I don't know about either players speed or lack thereof.

Not sure about Fukudome but from what we read it sounds good.Of
course signing him won't require losing anybody.Regarding Bay,he may
be faster than Paulie/Thome/JD/AJ but then so is my wife.I just think
whatever trading chips we have would be better used if someone
like Haren or Bedard was coming back.

munchman33
11-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Can't we get Bay and Fukudome, with Fukudome in center?

getonbckthr
11-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Well doing that would mean Crede is gone. Fukudome I think I heard is looking at 11 million per year, Bay gets like 6.5-7. Hunter + Crede would have been 19-21 million. So financially it should be able.

Rocky Soprano
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I could certainly live with Bay in left field.

Lip

So could I, I would love to see that happen.

champagne030
11-30-2007, 02:36 PM

Fukudome plays RF, not CF.

wulfy
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Not sure about Fukudome but from what we read it sounds good.Of
course signing him won't require losing anybody.Regarding Bay,he may
be faster than Paulie/Thome/JD/AJ but then so is my wife.I just think
whatever trading chips we have would be better used if someone
like Haren or Bedard was coming back.

I don't know if we have any chips that could bring either of those back in return.

soxwon
11-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Come on we dont want this guy!!!
I hope the cubs get him, so we can rip them with signs like
Cubs got ***'D, or FCK yu Dummy.
but if we get him, they;ll be all over us.

areilly
11-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Fukudome would be a nice signing, but I have a hard time believing the White Sox would win a bidding war for him, although they did for Linebrink.

There was a bidding war for Linebrink?

Seriously?

Foulke You
11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
I would prefer Jason Bay over Fukodome simply because Bay is a proven commodity in MLB. For every Iguchi or Ichiro, there is a Hideki Irabu or a Kaz Matsui. (even though Kaz had one good year). I'd be very nervous throwing an expensive multi year deal at a guy who hasn't played in MLB before. I also feel that Bay could put up huge numbers hitting in a HR friendly park like ours. I went to PNC last year and that is definitely NOT a hitters park. You really need to jaunt the ball to get it out of there.

Foulke You
11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
There was a bidding war for Linebrink?

Seriously?
Says here that there were three teams active in negotiations with Linebrink.

PER WHITESOX.COM:

"On a conference call the day after he signed a four-year, $19 million deal with the White Sox, the right-handed setup man said that three teams actively pursued him after he declared free agency. But it was the Sox aggressive approach, including Williams visiting the pitcher and his wife at their home in Texas, which won him over."

Mr. White Sox
11-30-2007, 03:50 PM

He'll be expensive, but considering what Rowand wants it wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think KW's #1 plan right now is to try to sign Andruw Jones, place him in a corner OF spot and look to trade for Crisp as a luxury, but if Jones proves too expensive Fukudome is his #2 with Crisp a priority in CF.

It would be nice to have some consistency in the OF, and in Fukudome's career consistency seems to be one of his strongest traits. I wouldn't go over 11-11.5mm/4yr for him, but considering the money the Sox have freed up this off-season, they could certainly go higher.

Iguana775
11-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd be happy with Bay. Dont know anything about Fukudome though.

WhiteSox5187
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Well if it's over years, that's a good thing cuz as we saw with Buerhle I think that's easier to work out than with money...I don't know a whole lot about Bay's numbers but people were talking about him being a leadoff guy, if we could get him in LF, Rowand in CF I think we'd be set...I'd also be willing to take a gamble on Morris if they take Uribe.

UserNameBlank
11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Well if it's over years, that's a good thing cuz as we saw with Buerhle I think that's easier to work out than with money...I don't know a whole lot about Bay's numbers but people were talking about him being a leadoff guy, if we could get him in LF, Rowand in CF I think we'd be set...I'd also be willing to take a gamble on Morris if they take Uribe.
Yuck. I know we all hate Brian Anderson and we all think that Ryan Sweeney couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag, but the amount of money and years Rowand is looking for is laughable. Seriously. Let's just not think about that as a serious option. I'd rather see the Sox go after Corey Patterson on a one year rebuild-your-worth type of deal with a team option for a second. At least then we wouldn't be saddled with a bad contract.

Bay shouldn't lead off. He would be nice to have though if he gets back to the real Jason Bay, especially once Thome's contract is up. Then he could be extended as a DH (in a perfect world of course).

Even though Morris would allow the Sox to dump one bad contract, we'd still be taking on another. We already have Contreras' to worry about, but at least with Contreras he has a WS ring, playoff success, and he's spent his whole career in the AL. If Contreras rebounds and has a nice first half I have no doubt we could trade him. If the same thing happens to Morris I think we'd have trouble finding a suitor.

I think the Sox FO should go into 2008 basically telling the fans "we want to contend," but behind closed doors I hope they're planning to blow this thing up at the deadline if we're in third place or lower.

cws05champ
11-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I'd be happy with Bay. Dont know anything about Fukudome though.

Fukudome showed decent power in Japan but it will probably translate to 12-17 HR's here. He is said to have gap power and his biggest assest is his OBP. I beleive he led the Japanese leagues 3 out of the last 5 years in OBP. He has a strong arm as well, from what I've read.

Foulke You
11-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Yuck. I know we all hate Brian Anderson and we all think that Ryan Sweeney couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag, but the amount of money and years Rowand is looking for is laughable. Seriously. Let's just not think about that as a serious option. I'd rather see the Sox go after Corey Patterson on a one year rebuild-your-worth type of deal with a team option for a second. At least then we wouldn't be saddled with a bad contract.

Bay shouldn't lead off. He would be nice to have though if he gets back to the real Jason Bay, especially once Thome's contract is up. Then he could be extended as a DH (in a perfect world of course).
Bay is definitely not a leadoff man, he is a middle of the order hitter. He would fit nicely in the middle of that lineup somewhere between Konerko, Dye, and AJ. In '05 and '06, Bay hit 30+ HRs and 100+ RBI playing in a non-HR friendly ballpark. Much like Jermaine Dye, he scuffled through some knee injuries last year with a .247 avg but still hit 20+HRs and 80+RBIs which would still be light years better #s than Terrero/A Gonzalez put up last year. If Bay returned to '06 form which could be likely in a hitters park like The Cell, he could be that impact player we've been searching for. Bay also might come cheaper in a trade than a Miguel Cabrera. Does anyone know what Bay's contract status is in Pitt? How much more money and years is he owed?

As far as Corey Patterson, I want no part of him. I'd be happier using the players in our system than that Cubs/Orioles reject. He Ks too much and doesn't have enough production to make him worth keeping in the lineup. Patterson has all the tools and none of the brains and ability to get it done which is why the Cubs parted ways with him. If you plan on having a lineup that features Owens and Patterson batting 8th and 9th (or vice versa) there is no way we're competing for an AL Central title. All speed and no .OBP, .AVG., and RBIs.

colles9
11-30-2007, 05:56 PM
As far as Corey Patterson, I want no part of him. I'd be happier using the players in our system than that Cubs/Orioles reject. He Ks too much and doesn't have enough production to make him worth keeping in the lineup. Patterson has all the tools and none of the brains and ability to get it done which is why the Cubs parted ways with him. If you plan on having a lineup that features Owens and Patterson batting 8th and 9th (or vice versa) there is no way we're competing for an AL Central title. All speed and no .OBP, .AVG., and RBIs.

Do you realize that in 07 Patterson had 65 Ks in 132 games, whereas Bay had 141 in 145 games??? Also in 06' Patterson had 94 Ks in 135 games and Bay had 156 Ks in 159 games? Those were Patterson's first 2 and only 2 years in the AL

The production numbers outside of HRs is not too bad
Patterson 26 (2b) 2 (3b) 124(hits) in '07, 19 (2b) 5 (3b) 128(hits) in '06.
Bay 25 (2b) 2 (3b) 135(hits) in '07, 29(2b) 3(3b) 163 (hits) in '06

MisterB
11-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Regarding Bay,he may be faster than Paulie/Thome/JD/AJ but then so is my wife.

Paulie/Thome/JD/AJ have never stolen 20+ bases in a season, Bay has. The problem is he's had knee trouble recently.

SoxxoS
11-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I wouldnt mind Corey Patterson in the least bit. He isn't going to carry a team to a championship - But something needs to be said about a guy that plays solid D with a little pop that can steal bases. He will be a 40 SB guy with the possibility for more - while hitting .265-.300 (career year) and hopefully 12-15 homers.

And I think this board doesn't realize HOW GOOD Jason Bay really is. Take away last season - The guy is incredibly good.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/jason-bay.shtml

And who hits behind him again? Exactly.

This would be the ultimate coup for Kenny if he can give him Crede/Broadway/Sweeney or something like that.

Oldschoolsoxguy
11-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Paulie/Thome/JD/AJ have never stolen 20+ bases in a season, Bay has. The problem is he's had knee trouble recently.

Why Jason Bay when we have more pressing needs ? unless KW would move another bat to get pitching after acquiring Bay then no need.

Rockabilly
11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
how does this trade sound

Sox send Fields, Broadway,Aardsma, Anderson and Chris Carter to the Pirates for Bay and Snell

sox1970
11-30-2007, 09:48 PM

Sox send Fields, Broadway,Aardsma, Anderson and Chris Carter to the Pirates for Bay and Snell

That's giving away too much. Fields isn't going anywhere anyway.

Bay would be a nice pickup. They could give Masset, Sisco, Aardsma, and Anderson since none of them have a future with the Sox.

gr8mexico
11-30-2007, 09:51 PM

That's crazy

nccwsfan
11-30-2007, 10:02 PM

Probably could be simplified to Bay for Anderson and a pitching prospect.

beck72
12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Crasnick mentions Fukudome as a CFer, but could play LF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3135031
Kosuke Fukudome

For a while, the consensus was that Fukudome would stay in Japan. That's no longer the case. Agent Joe Urbon told ESPN.com that he met with Fukudome in Nagoya, Japan, on Wednesday night and went over the "multiple offers" the outfielder had received from MLB clubs.

"Although staying in Japan certainly is an option, it is highly unlikely," Urbon said in an e-mail.

The Giants, Rangers and Cubs are among the clubs interested in Fukudome. After parting company with Cliff Floyd (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5177) and Jacque Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6246), the Cubs are looking for a more athletic left-handed hitting outfielder. And Fukudome's .397 career on-base percentage is certainly appealing.

"He's kind of a poor man's Carlos Beltran (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6132)," said a National League personnel man. "He's not top of the line, but a pretty good player. He can run, he can drive the ball in the gaps a little bit, and he can go get it pretty well in the outfield."

Sockinchisox
12-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Why Jason Bay when we have more pressing needs ? unless KW would move another bat to get pitching after acquiring Bay then no need.

Last time I checked, we don't have a LF.

oeo
12-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Last time I checked, we don't have a LF.

And last time I checked, we also need a leadoff hitter, a centerfielder, another veteran SP, and at least one more reliever.

Sorry, but I just don't see how Bay fits into our plans. If we're going to trade prospects (I hope not), I'd rather we trade them for a leadoff hitter or a SP.

santo=dorf mentioned him in a different thread, but Dan Haren is a perfect fit for this team right now. If we're giong to trade prospects, it should be for him. He's a top-of-the-rotation starter, who is still under contract for three more years. That's a much more pressing need than LF.

Bill Naharodny
12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
And last time I checked, we also need a leadoff hitter, a centerfielder, another veteran SP, and at least one more reliever.

Sorry, but I just don't see how Bay fits into our plans. If we're going to trade prospects (I hope not), I'd rather we trade them for a leadoff hitter or a SP.

Bay's fine if he's just a piece of what Kenny's doing in the outfield. But not if he costs a bunch -- because regardless of his OBP, the guy strikes out nearly 150 times a year, and he won't increase team speed much. I think we've seen too much of that combination during the past couple of years.

palehosepub
12-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Honestly I want the Sox to get Crisp and Bay but I don't think the Sox have the prospects to pull that off. Fukodome is projected to get about 11 million and with Bay's 5.75 million isn't that put together what we were going to pay for Hunter?

Tragg
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Crisp is probably out of the question if for no other reason that Boston wants a top prospect and he isn't worth more than a 2nd tier prospect.

As for Bay, do something with money - like take Morris off their hands. Reserve our best 4 prospects, whoever they are.

oeo
12-01-2007, 01:58 PM
As for Bay, do something with money - like take Morris off their hands. Reserve our best 4 prospects, whoever they are.

**** that. What are we going to do with Matt Morris? Pass...

The Pirates obviously wanted him, otherwise they wouldn't have acquired him at the deadline last year.

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Crisp is probably out of the question if for no other reason that Boston wants a top prospect and he isn't worth more than a 2nd tier prospect.

**** Coco.

I wouldn't assume a bad contract for a crappy player, but Bay could be worth it. Morris makes $9mil next year and then he's done. If the Sox could use money to save a prospect in a Bay deal that could be good.

Maybe something like Uribe ($4.5mil/1 year left) + Hall ($1.75mil/1 year left w/ buyout) + McCulloch (cuz we need to trade this guy before his value drops any futher) + an underpeforming bullpen arm like Sisco or Aardsma since Pitt always seems to cash in in that department + a young minor league player who has upside but is a ways off and a longshot like C Francisco Hernandez (who finally put up good numbers last year and should start out in W-S but is 22 next year) or Paulo Orlando. Man, we really don't have much for legit position player prospects.

How about Uribe + Hall + McCulloch + Sisco/Aardsma + Hernandez/Orlando for Morris + Bay? I like that deal because we're giving up nothing at all.

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 02:30 PM

The Pirates obviously wanted him, otherwise they wouldn't have acquired him at the deadline last year.
Their old GM picked him up because they wanted a veteran to help the youngsters. What? At least get a decent one...

Now the new GM has to clean up the mess.

SoxxoS
12-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Well, he is better than all of the outfielders the Sox currently have, so they should be able to fit them in their plans.

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 02:36 PM
I wouldnt mind Corey Patterson in the least bit. He isn't going to carry a team to a championship - But something needs to be said about a guy that plays solid D with a little pop that can steal bases. He will be a 40 SB guy with the possibility for more - while hitting .265-.300 (career year) and hopefully 12-15 homers.

And I think this board doesn't realize HOW GOOD Jason Bay really is. Take away last season - The guy is incredibly good.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/jason-bay.shtml

And who hits behind him again? Exactly.

This would be the ultimate coup for Kenny if he can give him Crede/Broadway/Sweeney or something like that.

I'd like to keep Broadway out of a deal if possible as I don't think he has hit his full trade value yet. Not saying that Bay isn't worth it, because he is, but considering how bad Bay was last year maybe the Sox can figure out a way to surrender maybe one of their lesser, more #5-ceiling type starters plus one of their many projects. That would be awesome.

Flight #24
12-01-2007, 02:42 PM

That's a hugely smart move to take advantage of other team's financial constraints. I'd look at it like instead of signing Hunter to $15M or whatever, you get Bay at $6 and Morris at $9. But in actuality, you save $$$ because Morris is on a 1yr deal and Bay will remain cheap for another year or 2, IIRC.

Plus, Morris gives you a veteran SP to compete for that #5 slot with Floyd, etc. And the 1 year deal makes me a lot less worried about the fact that he's overpaid.

oeo
12-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Well, he is better than all of the outfielders the Sox currently have, so they should be able to fit them in their plans.

That obviously wasn't my point. I'm trying to say that there's bigger issues that need to be addressed. If we're going to trade prospects, it should be to address those issues. Honestly, if we can find a centerfielder that can lead off, I wouldn't mind giving Sweeney/Owens a shot. Maybe even Anderson if he grows up in the next few months.

oeo
12-01-2007, 02:56 PM
That's a hugely smart move to take advantage of other team's financial constraints. I'd look at it like instead of signing Hunter to $15M or whatever, you get Bay at $6 and Morris at $9. But in actuality, you save $$$ because Morris is on a 1yr deal and Bay will remain cheap for another year or 2, IIRC.

Plus, Morris gives you a veteran SP to compete for that #5 slot with Floyd, etc. And the 1 year deal makes me a lot less worried about the fact that he's overpaid.

Money can be spent more effectively on someone that hasn't sucked for the past four years.

And I'd rather give the job to Floyd. If he doesn't make the roster, he's gone. I know a lot of people wouldn't mind that, but I still think the guy can be a solid pitcher.

SoxxoS
12-01-2007, 02:58 PM
I'd like to keep Broadway out of a deal if possible as I don't think he has hit his full trade value yet. Not saying that Bay isn't worth it, because he is, but considering how bad Bay was last year maybe the Sox can figure out a way to surrender maybe one of their lesser, more #5-ceiling type starters plus one of their many projects. That would be awesome.

True, but Broadway's trade value might be at his highest right now - and i personally think it is. He is off a great start against the Royals and a pretty good appearance in the majors last year.

I hope I am wrong, but I am not that high on Lance...and if we can get Bay for him and others I would do it in a heartbeat.

santo=dorf
12-01-2007, 03:09 PM
That was the final straw for Dave Littlebrain. There's new managment in town, and they don't want him.
According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, "general manager Neal Huntington has made it known to peers that he is open to trading starter Matt Morris."

The Pirates' previous regime misguidedly traded for Morris and he's set to make $9.5 million in 2008, so Huntington may have to eat some salary to get a deal done. The newspaper suggests that the Cardinals could be interested in re-acquiring Morris, who pitched in St. Louis from 1997-2005.

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
True, but Broadway's trade value might be at his highest right now - and i personally think it is. He is off a great start against the Royals and a pretty good appearance in the majors last year.

I hope I am wrong, but I am not that high on Lance...and if we can get Bay for him and others I would do it in a heartbeat.

Oh, I'd do that too. I'm probably a little but higher on him than you are then, but I still would deal him for the right player, which would be Bay. I'd just want to **** around with the Pirates first and see if I could get another huge steal like the Cubs always get. I'd try to sell them on McCulloch 'cause his numbers are very, very unimpressive, and I'd tell them that he was taken higher in the draft than Bobby Hill ever was. Maybe they'd bite on that. They are the Pirates, you know...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:buyaxLvhjcfDDM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/PittsburghPirates_100.png (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/PittsburghPirates_100.png&imgrefurl=http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php%3Ft%3D86033%26page%3D633&h=494&w=494&sz=20&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=buyaxLvhjcfDDM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=130&prev=)
"Arrrr, matey! We'll be walkin' the plank after this trade..."

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
And I'd rather give the job to Floyd. If he doesn't make the roster, he's gone. I know a lot of people wouldn't mind that, but I still think the guy can be a solid pitcher.
I would too. I'd just move Morris and his bad contract into the bullpen and let him complain about it until Kenny flips over a table.

oeo
12-01-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm not very high on him, either. At the same time, I don't think he's reached his peak yet, because he just had a terrible year in AAA. I'm sure he will improve on those numbers in 2008. Then deal him, as I don't expect much from the guy.

SoxxoS
12-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Oh, I'd do that too. I'm probably a little but higher on him than you are then, but I still would deal him for the right player, which would be Bay. I'd just want to **** around with the Pirates first and see if I could get another huge steal like the Cubs always get. I'd try to sell them on McCulloch 'cause his numbers are very, very unimpressive, and I'd tell them that he was taken higher in the draft than Bobby Hill ever was. Maybe they'd bite on that. They are the Pirates, you know...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:buyaxLvhjcfDDM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/PittsburghPirates_100.png (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/PittsburghPirates_100.png&imgrefurl=http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php%3Ft%3D86033%26page%3D633&h=494&w=494&sz=20&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=buyaxLvhjcfDDM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=130&prev=)
"Arrrr, matey! We'll be walkin' the plank after this trade..."

Littlefield isn't there anymore, correct? That was his name, wasn't it? The guy who the Cubs kept fleecing...

12-01-2007, 04:59 PM
SIGN FUKEDOME! I'd be fine with Owens in CF then.

UserNameBlank
12-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Littlefield isn't there anymore, correct? That was his name, wasn't it? The guy who the Cubs kept fleecing...
Yeah, Littlebrain is gone but as far as I know the new guy hasn't made any moves yet. Maybe he's an idiot too?

Flight #24
12-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Money can be spent more effectively on someone that hasn't sucked for the past four years.

You miss the point. It's got nothing to do with Morris, it's all about Bay. Basically, you take the money you were going to pay Hunter and you pay it to Bay for a year and then he takes a "pay cut". So even if you cut Morris after the deal, it's a good one for the Sox. And Morris gives you a "lightning in a bottle" chance that in ST he comes out and pitches well. It also theoretically lets you save a prospect versus getting Bay without Morris, which is a smart way to use finances. Especially when your farm isn't the deepest.

Tragg
12-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Cut him for all I care if it gets us Bay. It would be like a FA signing.

nccwsfan
12-01-2007, 10:11 PM
You miss the point. It's got nothing to do with Morris, it's all about Bay. Basically, you take the money you were going to pay Hunter and you pay it to Bay for a year and then he takes a "pay cut". So even if you cut Morris after the deal, it's a good one for the Sox. And Morris gives you a "lightning in a bottle" chance that in ST he comes out and pitches well. It also theoretically lets you save a prospect versus getting Bay without Morris, which is a smart way to use finances. Especially when your farm isn't the deepest.

I like it. It addresses one concern (OF situation) and if the gamble works could address another (starting pitcher).

PalehosePlanet
12-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Neil Huntington is the new GM of The Pirates. From wht I've read the guy really seems to have a chip on his shoulder about some of the Pirates previous regime's horrible trades ( don't forget that they let Jason Schmidt and Jon Lieber get away also.) He keeps saying that he won't be fleeced in any deal. If this isn't just posturing on his part then I would imagine that we would have to take Morris in a deal in order to not lose Fields, Danks or Gio.

As far as Fukudome goes: I really like the looks of that .397 OBP. All reports say that he is a very solid athlete too, which never hurts. We'd have to outbid the cubs for his services if the rumblings are true, but he might be worth it.

Flight #24
12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Neil Huntington is the new GM of The Pirates. From wht I've read the guy really seems to have a chip on his shoulder about some of the Pirates previous regime's horrible trades ( don't forget that they let Jason Schmidt and Jon Lieber get away also.) He keeps saying that he won't be fleeced in any deal. If this isn't just posturing on his part then I would imagine that we would have to take Morris in a deal in order to not lose Fields, Danks or Gio.

As far as Fukudome goes: I really like the looks of that .397 OBP. All reports say that he is a very solid athlete too, which never hurts. We'd have to outbid the cubs for his services if the rumblings are true, but he might be worth it.

Can Fukudome play CF? If so, a great offseason could include:
Fukudome signed to 3/$33. Sweeney/Anderson to Pirates for Bay+Morris. Maybe they give up a bit o'cash in the deal. Then Crede can be dealt for a reliever and/or prospects in ST. Or in Fraterworld, Konerko to the Angels for Figgins + prospects.

Cabrera (SS) - Fukudome (CF) -Thome (DH) - Konerko (1B) - Dye (RF) - Bay (LF) - AJ (C) - Fields (3B) - Richar (2B).

or

Figgins (2B) - Cabrera (SS) - Thome (CF) - Dye (RF) - Bay (LF) - Fukudome (CF) - AJ (C) - Fields (1B) - Crede (3B).

Fukudome ($11M) + Bay/Morris ($15M) less Crede ($6M) or Konerko ($12M) give you a payroll bump of somewhere between $14-$20M over where they are right now.

PalehosePlanet
12-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Fukudome signed to 3/$33. Sweeney/Anderson to Pirates for Bay+Morris. Maybe they give up a bit o'cash in the deal. Then Crede can be dealt for a reliever and/or prospects in ST. Or in Fraterworld, Konerko to the Angels for Figgins + prospects.

Cabrera (SS) - Fukudome (CF) -Thome (DH) - Konerko (1B) - Dye (RF) - Bay (LF) - AJ (C) - Fields (3B) - Richar (2B).

or

Figgins (2B) - Cabrera (SS) - Thome (CF) - Dye (RF) - Bay (LF) - Fukudome (CF) - AJ (C) - Fields (1B) - Crede (3B).

Fukudome ($11M) + Bay/Morris ($15M) less Crede ($6M) or Konerko ($12M) give you a payroll bump of somewhere between $14-$20M over where they are right now.

This sounded great, until you went to Fraterworld. Don't get me wrong as much as I like PK I would trade him for the right deal, I just simply don't understand the Angels obsession here at WSI.

Now, I know that part of it stems from the fact that we know the Angels covet Konerko, and I do like Figgins, but Santana? Willits? Absolutely no way do I deal him for a 4th OF type and a reclamation project 6th starter.

How about The Dodgers? Where names like Loney, Broxton or Kemp can be discussed? I mean as kong as where making wish lists, why not wish for real players in return. PK does have value.

And yes, from what I hear Fukodome is a solid CF'er.

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2007, 12:23 AM

or

Oooh, I dont' think I want Thome in CF. :D:

I don't think Konerko is going anywhere and I think that Fukudome would probably bat leadoff, not Cabrera. We'll see, I do like that first line up.

Sockinchisox
12-02-2007, 12:35 AM
This article refutes the Jason Bay rumors, but it says the Pirates are looking to deal Xavier Nady.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07336/838486-63.stm

A report on FoxSports.com (http://foxsports.com/) this week described the Chicago White Sox as being interested in Bay, but a White Sox source said yesterday that there have been no significant internal talks about Bay.

Domeshot17
12-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Oooh, I dont' think I want Thome in CF. :D:

I don't think Konerko is going anywhere and I think that Fukudome would probably bat leadoff, not Cabrera. We'll see, I do like that first line up.

why would you lead off Fukudome? everything I read compares him to Matsui (Hideki not Kaz). If that is the case I dont mind him hitting 2 because his OBP is so high, although it will often take the bat out of the hands of him inorder to make productive outs ala Iguchi.

If that was the case I would lead off owens in LF because of the speed with Cabrera 2 (who makes up for the lack of offensive talent owens actually has). I hit Fukudome 6th behind our big 3 because he breaks up the clog with Fields 7 AJ 8 and Richar 9.

Ideally if you HAVE to start Owens he is your 9 hitter, but in reality the only place he fits is 1 here.

WhiteSox5187
12-02-2007, 01:25 AM
why would you lead off Fukudome? everything I read compares him to Matsui (Hideki not Kaz). If that is the case I dont mind him hitting 2 because his OBP is so high, although it will often take the bat out of the hands of him inorder to make productive outs ala Iguchi.

If that was the case I would lead off owens in LF because of the speed with Cabrera 2 (who makes up for the lack of offensive talent owens actually has). I hit Fukudome 6th behind our big 3 because he breaks up the clog with Fields 7 AJ 8 and Richar 9.

Ideally if you HAVE to start Owens he is your 9 hitter, but in reality the only place he fits is 1 here.
I haven't read a whole lot about him, but I've read that he is the type of guy who hits for high average and OBP and the ability to steal a lot of bases. He has a bit of pop too, so I think he'd be a Crawford like guy almost. But I don't know enough about him, I wouldn't object to having him bat two with Cabrera leading off, but I got the impression that Kenny was thinking Cabrera would bat two and they'd get another guy to lead off.

soxfanreggie
12-02-2007, 02:05 AM
I wouldn't mind taking on Morris' contract if JR was willing to just eat the money to help us elsewhere. I also wouldn't mind Bay in LF and Crisp or Patterson in CF. They aren't the splash signing that Aaron or Jones would be, but they are better than what we put out there last year.

MisterB
12-02-2007, 04:14 AM
I haven't read a whole lot about him, but I've read that he is the type of guy who hits for high average and OBP and the ability to steal a lot of bases. He has a bit of pop too, so I think he'd be a Crawford like guy almost. But I don't know enough about him, I wouldn't object to having him bat two with Cabrera leading off, but I got the impression that Kenny was thinking Cabrera would bat two and they'd get another guy to lead off.

Fukudome isn't a big base stealer (71 SB in a 9 year career).

Power numbers don't translate well from the Japanese Leagues. For example Hideki Matsui had 35+ HR power in Japan, but has averaged about 25 a year here. Iguchi averaged about 25 HR a year over there, and high teens over here.

If I had to guess as to a stat line for Fukudome, I'd say .290 avg, .360 obp, 20 hr, 10 sb.

gogosox16
12-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Fukudome isn't a big base stealer (71 SB in a 9 year career).

Power numbers don't translate well from the Japanese Leagues. For example Hideki Matsui had 35+ HR power in Japan, but has averaged about 25 a year here. Iguchi averaged about 25 HR a year over there, and high teens over here.

If I had to guess as to a stat line for Fukudome, I'd say .290 avg, .360 obp, 20 hr, 10 sb.
Best on the Team from last year....Sign him now!!!!!!!

btrain929
12-02-2007, 04:23 AM
And there's a link on MLBtraderumors.com that he only wants a 3-year contract, no more. Sounds like a White Sox free agent to me! Get it done, KW! Keep him out of Wrigley and lets get a much needed OBP and left handed bat in our lineup.

gogosox16
12-02-2007, 04:26 AM
And there's a link on MLBtraderumors.com that he only wants a 3-year contract, no more. Sounds like a White Sox free agent to me! Get it done, KW! Keep him out of Wrigley and lets get a much needed OBP and left handed bat in our lineup.
I have a feeling he is going to end up in the Sox uni but I have a feeling that a bidding war will start with the Cubs and Sox that he will get a deal something like 3-39 or something. Could turn out to be a steal or could turn out to be a waste

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Or in Fraterworld, Konerko to the Angels for Figgins + prospects.

This sounded great, until you went to Fraterworld.

:rolling:

Fukudome in RF, Dye in LF, and Figgins in CF. With his OBP and at least decent speed, I'd bat him third to have Thome protect him.

Lineup: Figgins, OC, Fukudome, JT, Dye, AJ, Fields, Crede, Richar

Good OBP at 1, 2, 3 and 4; power at 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8; decent average at 1, 2, 3 and 6; good speed at 1, 2, 3, 7 and 9; balance with a leadoff switch hitter, then R, L, L, R, L, R, R, L.

Besides Hall, the the bench has speed with Ozuna (3B, SS, 2B) and Owens (LF, CF), so sign Mackowiak (1B, 3B, LF, RF) for some pop.

Now that's a team that can play "Ozzie Ball" (or whatever the heck it's called when teams have runners go from first to third, steal bases, hit and run, bunt, etc.) as well as get guys on base for the satisfying 3-run homer, and/or the very exciting (but not often experienced with the Sox) 3-run double.

That's also a pretty good defensive team, with the only question mark being Fields at 1B simply because he hasn't played there yet. Since Uribe is no longer the SS, if the biggest question mark on my team is the defense at first base, I'll live with it.

Plus, now there's some money to augment the pitching staff.

Jjav829
12-02-2007, 09:56 AM
This article refutes the Jason Bay rumors, but it says the Pirates are looking to deal Xavier Nady.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07336/838486-63.stm

Now would be a good time for KW to give the Pirates a call about Bay and 'leak' the discussion to someone in the Chicago media.

Baseball insiders are whispering that the Pirates are shopping outfielder Jason Bay, and that talks have heated up with the Indians in a multi-player deal that would include Cleveland backup catcher Kelly Shoppach.Link (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1048273#articleFull)

jabrch
12-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I still have no problem investigating trading PK. But it better be for a hell of a lot more than Chone Figgins. With contracts the way the have started off this offseason (Hunter getting 18mm), Konerko is a steal at 12mm.

I'm not tied to him - but I'm by no means willing to give him up for Figgins one year away from his walk year and "prospects" unless you are talking about top tier prospects. And since LAA has still shown no willingness to trade those guys for Cabrerra or Santana, I doubt they will for PK.

PorkChopExpress
12-02-2007, 11:59 AM
I still have no problem investigating trading PK. But it better be for a hell of a lot more than Chone Figgins. With contracts the way the have started off this offseason (Hunter getting 18mm), Konerko is a steal at 12mm.

I'm not tied to him - but I'm by no means willing to give him up for Figgins one year away from his walk year and "prospects" unless you are talking about top tier prospects. And since LAA has still shown no willingness to trade those guys for Cabrerra or Santana, I doubt they will for PK.

What about Figgins and Kotchman?

jabrch
12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
What about Figgins and Kotchman?

I'd have to listen to that...but I'm not sure what you do with a 1B who doesn't have much power. I'd really prefer to get a player at a position of need if we are trading PK. But if that's what they are talking about, I'd be marginally interested in at least doing what the Twins are doing right now and create a public market between multiple teams interested in him. I'd be particularly interested in talking to the Mets since Delgado is a FA after this year about a deal that might get us Fernando Martinez+...

btrain929
12-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I'd have to listen to that...but I'm not sure what you do with a 1B who doesn't have much power. I'd really prefer to get a player at a position of need if we are trading PK. But if that's what they are talking about, I'd be marginally interested in at least doing what the Twins are doing right now and create a public market between multiple teams interested in him. I'd be particularly interested in talking to the Mets since Delgado is a FA after this year about a deal that might get us Fernando Martinez+...

That's not gonna do anything for us this year. They aren't going to platoon him. Unless they think they can easily trade him right when they get PK.

jabrch
12-02-2007, 12:37 PM
That's not gonna do anything for us this year. They aren't going to platoon him. Unless they think they can easily trade him right when they get PK.

That would be the assumption that they'd move him also elsewhere...

And yes, it wouldn't help us this year. But I am uncertain that Figgins and Kotchman is much an upgrade over Konerko and whomever we are to have in CF.

103 screwball
12-02-2007, 12:47 PM
That would be the assumption that they'd move him also elsewhere...

And yes, it wouldn't help us this year. But I am uncertain that Figgins and Kotchman is much an upgrade over Konerko and whomever we are to have in CF.

I think it would be an upgrade if it also made it possible to fit Fukodome or Rowand into the budget. It would also improve team speed.

palehosepub
12-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Sign Fukodome
Trade Russell, Sweeney and Anderson for Bay and Morris
Trade Konerko and Valido for Loney and Bronxton
Trade Crede for prospects

CF Fukodome
SS Cabrera
DH Thome
RF Dye
LF Bay
C Pierzynksi
3B Fields
1B Loney
2B Richar

SOLID LINEUP and pitching improve with money stilll left.

gogosox16
12-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Sign Fukodome

CF Fukodome
SS Cabrera
DH Thome
RF Dye
LF Bay
C Pierzynksi
3B Fields
1B Loney
2B Richar

No way in hell do the Dodgers give us 2 of their top prospects...pitching is more valuable and they wouldn't even give 2 top prospects for a pitcher and plus they have Nomar at 1st right now and why would they do a trade that doesnt fill any of their needs and take away one of their better bulpen guys and plus you spelled Broxton wrong

gogosox16
12-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Sign Fukodome

CF Fukodome
SS Cabrera
DH Thome
RF Dye
LF Bay
C Pierzynksi
3B Fields
1B Loney
2B Richar

The Fukudome is the only thing I believe that has a shot in your ideas and possibly Crede for prospects. As for the Trade with the Pirates I think they would want something proven for their team and not just prospects that you dont know about, unless they might do it if we take both of the contracts of Morris and Bay.

palehosepub
12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Sign Fukodome and get Bay and then trade Thome.

gogosox16
12-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Sign Fukodome and get Bay and then trade Thome.
Thome for what? Only an A.L would want him for DH and most A.L. teams got their DH already so you can pretty much say he's worthless.

btrain929
12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Thome for what? Only an A.L would want him for DH and most A.L. teams got their DH already so you can pretty much say he's worthless.

That's why after this year (which I believe is his last year, maybe he has an option for next year), hopefully he can retire a White Sox, and take 1-2 year deals until he retires at a modest rate (6-9 million per year). We know he will play less and less games, but still be effective. If he stays somewhat healthy, I wouldn't mind that at all. As long as he doesn't insist on getting paid 12 million per.

Sockinchisox
12-02-2007, 01:10 PM
That's why after this year (which I believe is his last year, maybe he has an option for next year), hopefully he can retire a White Sox, and take 1-2 year deals until he retires at a modest rate (6-9 million per year). We know he will play less and less games, but still be effective. If he stays somewhat healthy, I wouldn't mind that at all. As long as he doesn't insist on getting paid 12 million per.

There's an option on him for 09.

Flight #24
12-02-2007, 01:41 PM

To be honest, that was laziness on my part in that I didn't really think through who else we'd get. Figgins is IMO a pretty good leadoff guy, and in my scenario that'd be the glaring hole. Maybe you get some good but young prospects from A or AA from them, or maybe you get a reliever. Don't forget there's also the financial benefit of trading Konerko at $12M (even though he's a steal at that price) for Figgins.

FWLIW, IMO Konerko is probably similar or slightly less value than Hunter given position. So while he's a steal, were he on the market I'd expect him to get 15-17M.

Tragg
12-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I'm not tied to him - but I'm by no means willing to give him up for Figgins one year away from his walk year and "prospects" unless you are talking about top tier prospects. And since LAA has still shown no willingness to trade those guys for Cabrerra or Santana, I doubt they will for PK. I agree with you.

Do the Angels need or want Konerko? Whenever the idea of trading Konerko comes up, it's always with the Angels. Just wondering.

gogosox16
12-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Do the Angels need or want Konerko? Whenever the idea of trading Konerko comes up, it's always with the Angels. Just wondering.
The only reason why people keep bringing up the Angels is cause Paulie almost signed their before resigning here and now every still assumes they want him...If they got him from the Sox I really believe they would be the favorite in the AL over the Red Sox...unless is the Red Sox got Santana.

Frater Perdurabo
12-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I agree with you.

As gogosox16 said, the Angels wanted him after 2005 and they still need a hitter to protect Vlad. Hunter just isn't the power threat that Paulie is.

btrain929
12-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I agree with you.

They don't have a typical 1B on their team (Kotchman lacks power, and most 1B's are power hitters). As a whole, their team lacks power unbelievably (Vlad, and that's it). Hunter definitely helps their case. But with those 2 factors above, along with their excess number of speedy OF'ers and young talent, it's natural pairing.