PDA

View Full Version : Who got the win tonight?

MattSharp
04-16-2002, 10:09 PM
I don't get it? Sox and Roll said Osuna did? ESPN says Marte did? Why did Rauch not get the win? Help me out here?

HawkDJ
04-16-2002, 10:11 PM
Not sure why but I know it was Damaso Marte who pitched great today BTW.

cheeses_h_rice
04-16-2002, 10:13 PM
I would assume Osuna, since he filled in for 2 innings or so and was there in the 5th.

But that's just a guess.

MisterB
04-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I don't get it? Sox and Roll said Osuna did? ESPN says Marte did? Why did Rauch not get the win? Help me out here?

Baseball rules say starting pitcher has to go 5 innings to qualify for a win, Rauch only went 4+. Don't really understand the logic of the rule myself, since a reliever can get just one out but get the win. :?:

Not sure how you figure who gets the win in this situation..

Nellsin
04-16-2002, 10:16 PM
The starter must finish five half-innings to be eligible for the win. Rauch left in the top of the fifth.

hold2dibber
04-16-2002, 10:17 PM
I believe a starter has to last at least 5 IP to get the win and Rauch only went 4.

Manual once again over-managed (and unnecessarily slowed the game) by pulling Marte in the 8th. He had looked awesome (4 strikeouts in 1 2/3 IP) and had a man on 2nd with a 5 run lead and two outs in the 8th. And he pulls him for Glover?!?!?! Why? Of course Glover promptly gives up the hit and costs Marte the earned run. Not a big deal, but Manual drives me crazy with that kind of crap.

cheeses_h_rice
04-16-2002, 10:22 PM
The Tribune's story says Marte got the W, so I'm going to go with that.

MisterB
04-16-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

Aha! Found the answer here. (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/baseball_basics/mlb_basics_official_scorer.jsp)

Baseball Rule 10.19c.1:
When, during the tenure of the starting pitcher, the winning team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game, credit the victory to the relief pitcher judged by the scorer to have been the most effective.

Guess they figure Marte was more effective because Glover allowed Marte's runner to score, while Osuna allowed both of Rauch's runners to score plus one of his own.

Bmr31
04-17-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

Baseball rules say starting pitcher has to go 5 innings to qualify for a win, Rauch only went 4+. Don't really understand the logic of the rule myself, since a reliever can get just one out but get the win. :?:

if they didnt have that rule, a starting pitcher could go 1 inning every day and win 60 games? Im not positive, but thats my take on the rule.

baggio202
04-17-2002, 06:38 AM
if the starter doesnt go 5 then its up to the official scorer to decide who gets the win...i guess he figured osuna did the best job...cant argue with that..both guys pitched well

Paulwny
04-17-2002, 07:05 AM
Marte was credited with the win.

harwar
04-17-2002, 09:44 AM
Rauch was very tired i heard when J.M took him out.I didn't see the end of the game but i'm very excited about Rauch.What a great up & down curve he had.I thought he would be intimidated and get rocked but he had guts looked great.