PDA

View Full Version : Sox have 14 players signed for 2008 totaling $99mil

Trav
11-30-2007, 12:08 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071129sox,1,7458745.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

If this is true, what is the expected payroll for this year? I can't imagine it will be THAT much over $100 million. Does this mean we have to dump more salary in any trade?

Edit, title should say "totaling $99 mil"

MisterB
11-30-2007, 12:26 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-071129sox,1,7458745.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

If this is true, what is the expected payroll for this year? I can't imagine it will be THAT much over $100 million. Does this mean we have to dump more salary in any trade?

Edit, title should say "totaling $99 mil"

I think that figure might be a typo. The 14 he refers to would be Pierzynski, Konerko, Cabrera, Dye, Thome, Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Hall, Ozuna, Uribe, Thornton, MacDougal and Linebrink. By my tally those 14 would make a combined $93.975M

P.S.: On further inspection, he may be leaving out the $5.5M Philly is paying on Thome's contract and the $.5M the Angels are paying on Cabrera's regular salary (but oddly doesn't count his pro-rated signing bonus of $1M, which the Angels are also paying)

ksimpson14
11-30-2007, 12:27 AM
They might not be completely paying for it? I'm not sure, but I don't think they're paying for all of Thome, and they've gotten cash in some deals

SOBdmb
11-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Their payroll should be at least a buck and a quarter, no reason not to be...81 home games is incredibly lucrative. Having a fan base that supports payroll expansion for things other than extra barstools and 7th inning "singers" seems to be under-rated. There's no doubt that the Sox have money to throw around!

DoItForDanPasqua
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Their payroll should be at least a buck and a quarter, no reason not to be...81 home games is incredibly lucrative. Having a fan base that supports payroll expansion for things other than extra barstools and 7th inning "singers" seems to be under-rated. There's no doubt that the Sox have money to throw around!

The Sox are in trouble with payroll. Last year they spent 109M on a team that lost 90 games. If they went to 125 million it would likely give them the third highest payroll in baseball without having a very good team. The Sox are not the kind of team that is going to keep spending that kind of money. They are going to need a major restructuring. I have faith that Kenny Williams can do this well.

Trav
11-30-2007, 01:19 AM
The Sox are in trouble with payroll. Last year they spent 109M on a team that lost 90 games. If they went to 125 million it would likely give them the third highest payroll in baseball without having a very good team. The Sox are not the kind of team that is going to keep spending that kind of money. They are going to need a major restructuring. I have faith that Kenny Williams can do this well.

You had me until your last sentence. I'm willing to wait him out before I start slamming KW or even thinking about firing him, but one of his strengths, in my eyes, was getting much out of the money he spent. However, as you point out, this isn't a team that is used to spending that kind of money. If JR is willing to start pumping in loads of cash then I'm on board. I just don't think that will happen. Eventually we are going to dig ourselves into a hole when some of the guys reach the latter part of their deals and I don't think they will continue to spend and keep us competitive without a serious rebuilding time.

Vernam
11-30-2007, 01:44 AM
You had me until your last sentence. I'm willing to wait him out before I start slamming KW or even thinking about firing him, but one of his strengths, in my eyes, was getting much out of the money he spent. However, as you point out, this isn't a team that is used to spending that kind of money. If JR is willing to start pumping in loads of cash then I'm on board. I just don't think that will happen. Eventually we are going to dig ourselves into a hole when some of the guys reach the latter part of their deals and I don't think they will continue to spend and keep us competitive without a serious rebuilding time.
I have faith in Kenny (there, I said it in the first sentence :cool:). But that being said, it doesn't take a mathematician or MLB GM to figure out we have trouble with the current roster and payroll. Two at 3B, one of whom will be an expensive risk if we don't trade him. Two at SS, one of whom is looking like an expensive backup if we don't trade him. Two at setup relief, at least one of whom looks to be grossly overpaid based on last year's performance. We shed Garland but would have preferred to shed Contreras because that would have given us the option of re-signing Garland.

As I said, it ain't complicated. If they want to contend, teams with under-performing farm systems find themselves with over-paid MLB rosters. It's a law of physics. And it's a legitimate question whether Kenny can turn both situations around in time to save Ozzie's job. I don't see JR firing KW, but another non-contending season will turn Ozzie into damaged goods. Then his contract will be another cross for the Sox to bear, I suppose. But I don't expect that to happen, because the team is highly motivated not to further squander the good will created by 2005. They dodged a bullet in 2007 when the Flubs crapped out in the first round. But that had to be like a near-death experience for the whole organization. I guarantee they don't want to go back to the bad old days of empty seats, and that might be my biggest cause for optimism about 2008.

Vernam

KRS1
11-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Well, we ditch a lot of money after 09' with the POTENTIAL cut of Dye's, Thome's, and Contreras' salaries. That right there is in the neighborhood of $30MM. Paulie's expires the year after that, further reducing the big deals currently in place. So long term it isn't that big of a problem to boost the payroll a bit now knowing that it should balance itself out in a few years.

Hitmen77
11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
All I know is that the Sox were apparently all set to offer Hunter $15 million/yr even with the current amount committed to payroll. So, that indicates to me that they are not at their payroll limit yet.

...though I believe they are still hoping to trade Uribe and Crede and unload those salaries.

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2007, 09:03 AM
I think that figure might be a typo. The 14 he refers to would be Pierzynski, Konerko, Cabrera, Dye, Thome, Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Hall, Ozuna, Uribe, Thornton, MacDougal and Linebrink. By my tally those 14 would make a combined $93.975M

P.S.: On further inspection, he may be leaving out the $5.5M Philly is paying on Thome's contract and the $.5M the Angels are paying on Cabrera's regular salary (but oddly doesn't count his pro-rated signing bonus of $1M, which the Angels are also paying)

Don't forget about the league minimum guys like Fields, Richar, etc.

balke
11-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd like to see the Sox offer Andruw Jones and a SP worth a crap big 1-year contracts to re-establish themselves on the free agent market. I've been fully prepared for 2009 to be the year this team gets bad. All the contracts were being structured as such. Get Andruw Jones here, do what you can with big money for one last hurrah, and if you don't win blow it all up next season. Go back to 80 mil and build around some of these pitchers the Sox have been drafting.

I would settle for Just a big contract for Jones to start though. If pitching is a problem, they could perhaps acquire a pitcher at the deadline.

russ99
11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
As I recall isn't 2008 the first year the Sox are paying full value on Thome's contract? I though the Phillies were only sending cash for 2006 and 2007.

That could make up the discrepancy.

As for trading payroll for flexibility in making deals, once the SP market gets going and bad pitchers like Lohse and Wolf get $15M contracts, Kenny may find a taker for Contreras. Also with Linebrink signed, I doubt MacDougal will be with the Sox too much longer.

champagne030
11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
As I recall isn't 2008 the first year the Sox are paying full value on Thome's contract? I though the Phillies were only sending cash for 2006 and 2007.

No, the Phillies are kicking in $5.5M per year for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

MisterB
11-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Don't forget about the league minimum guys like Fields, Richar, etc.

Those guys haven't actually been tendered contracts for 2008. Typically teams won't do that until sometime during spring training.

Also not counted is Crede who is (since Pods and Cintron were waived) the Sox' only arbitration eligible player.

Taking into account Crede's minimum salary (80% of his '07 salary) and all the league-minimum types, the Sox payroll stands at just under $102M.

schmitty9800
11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
If they can keep team revenue at around 170M/yr there's no reason why a 120M payroll isn't sustainable. I don't think there's anyone worth bumping it up for out there right now, but I'm more optimistic than pessimistic. I'd rather have some outfield prospects than a big FA acquisition at this point.

Sargeant79
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM
No, the Phillies are kicking in $5.5M per year for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

I'm pretty sure Thome is a free agent after 2008, hence no money coming from the Phillies in 2009.

KRS1
11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty sure Thome is a free agent after 2008, hence no money coming from the Phillies in 2009.

We hold the 09' option on him. The deal with the Phillies was reported as us being paid a total of $22MM over four years, 5.5 each year, which would extend to his option year.

Trav
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM

That could make up the discrepancy.

As for trading payroll for flexibility in making deals, once the SP market gets going and bad pitchers like Lohse and Wolf get $15M contracts, Kenny may find a taker for Contreras. Also with Linebrink signed, I doubt MacDougal will be with the Sox too much longer.

Pitching has been at a premium and the salaries for pitchers have been out of control for a few seasons now. So far, KW's track record is that he doesn't get much for proven starters (or washed up vets) in trades despite that.

And players don't want large one year deals. They want large 5 year deals.

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Seeing as we started last season at about 108.6 million, I think there's a few more bucks to be spent.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_23_mlbcontracts_archive.html

Sargeant79
11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
We hold the 09' option on him. The deal with the Phillies was reported as us being paid a total of $22MM over four years, 5.5 each year, which would extend to his option year.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Jurr
11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Well, I feel that the really good ballclubs combine their farm talent with the major leaguers to field a team. Ask the Yankees how the whole "fantasy baseball" thing has gone for them. Too many egos.

Hopefully, this team can successfully incorporate players like Fields, Richar, Owens, Broadway, and Gonzalez into the roster and get good results. Saves money and injects youthful enthusiasm into the roster.

DickAllen72
11-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Hopefully, this team can successfully incorporate players like Fields, Richar, Owens, Broadway, and Gonzalez into the roster and get good results. Saves money and injects youthful enthusiasm into the roster.

Man, I hope you're referring to Gio. :tongue:

soxfanreggie
12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
If you can trade Uribe and only eat 1 or 2 of the 5, we can use the savings elsewhere.