PDA

View Full Version : Matusi, Astros agree to 3 yr deal

Sockinchisox
11-30-2007, 12:24 AM
3 yrs, 15 mil according to Levine and the Daily Herald and someone from Houston is reporting it as well.

I was kinda hoping he'd choose the Cubs ha.

DoItForDanPasqua
11-30-2007, 01:22 AM
3 yrs, 15 mil

He came at a decent price. I thought a middle infielder that can hit .270 would get about 10M per season.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Didn't he hit like .230 at away parks last year? Not exactly a great idea there, IMO. I would have thought Iguchi or one of the other 2B FA's would go before Matsui.

russ99
11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Didn't he hit like .230 at away parks last year? Not exactly a great idea there, IMO. I would have thought Iguchi or one of the other 2B FA's would go before Matsui.

Yeah, but the Juice Box in Houston has a similar effect on hitters as Coors.

I like this signing. Not too expensive and upgrades the 2B spot (with speed and defense) over underachiever Chris Burke.

Given the other options of overpaying Iguchi, giving Burke a chance at 2B and #2 in the lineup and keeping Loretta and playing him everyday, I think the Astros made the right choice.

I also like how Ed Wade is cleaning house of all of former GM Tim Purpura's "project" players like Burke, Ensberg, Lane, etc.

palehosepub
12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Cubs lose out on a top target:smile:

3 years for 15.2 million

santo=dorf
12-02-2007, 12:08 PM

I also like how Ed Wade is cleaning house of all of former GM Tim Purpura's "project" players like Burke, Ensberg, Lane, etc.

The Juice box is a hitters park because of that short drive to LF. It's not similar to Coors. Even if it was exactly the same, why would it be a good idea to acquire a player if you KNOW he will suck for 81 games of the year?

Ensberg was released last year, and Ed Wade still hasn't changed as he's signing old middle relievers to deals.

palehosepub
12-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I made this thread earlier why did it get deleted?

FarWestChicago
12-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I made this thread earlier why did it get deleted?It didn't get deleted. It got merged into the one that was two days old.

russ99
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
The Juice box is a hitters park because of that short drive to LF. It's not similar to Coors. Even if it was exactly the same, why would it be a good idea to acquire a player if you KNOW he will suck for 81 games of the year?

Ensberg was released last year, and Ed Wade still hasn't changed as he's signing old middle relievers to deals.

Nope. It's not just the short porch in left, CF is massive at Minute Maid, though not as massive as Coors.

I guess the Astros would rather take a chance on Matsui sucking for 81 games over Burke sucking for 162 games. :D:

RockyMtnSoxFan
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM

I think one of the main reasons that Coors has higher offensive numbers is that offspeed pitches don't break as much they would elsewhere. This has the effect of giving hitters an advantage at Coors, but Rockies hitters have to readjust to "normal" break when they go on the road. So I think that, although home numbers might be inflated, road numbers are also deflated.

I think Matsui is a decent all-around second baseman. If Uribe is worth $4.5M, Kas certainly deserves $5.5M. His defense is every bit as good, he has a better work ethic, can run and bunt. He doesn't hit for power, but then, Uribe doesn't do anything else.