PDA

View Full Version : Sox outfield

gogosox16
11-29-2007, 03:25 PM
As of right now the Sox outfield would be Ryan Sweeney in left, Jerry Owens in center and Jermaine Dye in right....I think that would be a terrible outfield right now but by the day I just have a feeling that its going to be opening day starters....I like Sweeney and all but you can't have Sweeney and Owens in the same lineup....I would rather have Sweeney over Owens..So what I'm trying to say is if theirs only 1 open outfield spot(say that we don't need a lead off hitter) who would you rather have out their, Jerry Owens or Ryan Sweeney?

CHIsoxNation
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
As of right now the Sox outfield would be Ryan Sweeney in left, Jerry Owens in center and Jermaine Dye in right....I think that would be a terrible outfield right now but by the day I just have a feeling that its going to be opening day starters....I like Sweeney and all but you can't have Sweeney and Owens in the same lineup....I would rather have Sweeney over Owens..So what I'm trying to say is if theirs only 1 open outfield spot(say that we don't need a lead off hitter) who would you rather have out their, Jerry Owens or Ryan Sweeney?

If the roster stands as is, which I highly doubt it will, then you'd probably see Fields back in LF, Owens in CF, and Dye in RF with Crede back at third.

gogosox16
11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
If the roster stands as is, which I highly doubt it will, then you'd probably see Fields back in LF, Owens in CF, and Dye in RF with Crede back at third.
I could see that but I thought Kenny said he wouldn't have Fields back in left....Who do you think will come on this roster cause I dont see Rowand or Jones and now will supposably Crisp gone their really isnt that much to pick from.

BainesHOF
11-29-2007, 03:49 PM
This is like asking how would you like to be killed, a bullet in the head or a knife in the gut.

gogosox16
11-29-2007, 03:49 PM
This is like asking how would you like to be killed, a bullet in the head or a knife in the gut.
Good Analysists

chitown13
11-29-2007, 03:55 PM

:roflmao:

white sox bill
11-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Sweeny,Owens and Richar in same lineup and in some off days, Hall catching and Uribe at short with Gavin Floyd pitching. Boy if that doesn't strike fear in a pitchers heart!

Seriously, I'm trying not to be down on the new kids I realize that sometimes these kids stink the place up at first. Hopefully all the above have gone thru that stage and are ready to rock. But for now, the outfield of Dye,Ryan and JO ehhhhhhhhhh!

chisoxmike
11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
How about Cabrera-Jones-Dye? :cool:

California Sox
11-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm one of the diehards who also think BA should be in this poll. True, he'll probably be gone before spring, but given a shot he could beat either Sweeney or Owens out or at least force a platoon.

chitown13
11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
How about Cabrera-Jones-Dye? :cool:

Sounds good to me. Kenny needs to get on his ****

chitown13
11-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm one of the diehards who also think BA should be in this poll. True, he'll probably be gone before spring, but given a shot he could beat either Sweeney or Owens out or at least force a platoon.

Please God no. I'm sick of the experiments. Lets get someone that we "know" can consistently play well.

nccwsfan
11-29-2007, 04:36 PM
My hope is LF Owens, CF TBD, RF Dye. My prediction is LF TBD, CF Owens, RF Dye. I would like both players to be on the Opening Day squad with Owens starting- he'll do better than most of us think in 08'.

jshanahanjr
11-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I hope the Sox let Brian have a shot this spring. He has the talent to be a good player, so let him try and show it one more time. I don't think the Sox would be much worse record wise with Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens to fill 2 spots making peanuts vs. Coco Crisp and either Rowand or Jones. The Sox are going to be .500 at best unless the 3-5 starters have good to very good years.

ode to veeck
11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I hope the Sox let Brian have a shot this spring. He has the talent to be a good player, so let him try and show it one more time. I don't think the Sox would be much worse record wise with Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens to fill 2 spots making peanuts vs. Coco Crisp and either Rowand or Jones. The Sox are going to be .500 at best unless the 3-5 starters have good to very good years.

I just don't see Ozzie giving him a shot; he's great in the field defensively, but a project at best at the plate

Daver
11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
As of right now the Sox outfield would be Ryan Sweeney in left, Jerry Owens in center and Jermaine Dye in right.

I would think at this point they would flip Dye and Sweeney, Sweeney is better suited to RF, though he lacks the power some people think a RF should have.

California Sox
11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Because of his numerous wrist injuries I think Sweeney (and to some extent BA as well) is hard to get a read on. It seems like he has had a wrist/hand issue every year since hi-A. I'd love to see what he can do completely healthy before we give him away. Of course, if he's going to be hurt every year, we should have just kept Pods.

PeoriaSoxFan
11-29-2007, 06:31 PM
After reading today's Trib Sox story and now this thread, I am getting a real sick feeling. For the past two years, our OF has flat out sucked and Kenny has done nothing to fix it. Now, it looks like we may be headed in that same direction. It is too early to panic, but if we are looking at another year with the likes of Owens, Sweeney, Anderson, Ozuna, et. al., in the OF, we are are in serious trouble.

For anyone still having any doubt, Anderson sucks. They can't even get this guy to commit to winter ball. What more do they need to see from him on the field or off the field?

I don't know what I think of Owens. His numbers were similar to that of Coca Crisp last year, but I just don't want to see him as an opening day starting option. And Sweeney couldn't even hit in the minors last year. How is he suddenly going to be an everyday outfielder at the major league level?

Kenny, please don't ignore the OF position again this off-season. Nearly signing a free agent isn't good enough.

JB98
11-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Owens is ahead of Sweeney on the organizational depth chart, but I hope to see neither in the Opening Day lineup.

champagne030
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM

You're correct. I'd rather just OD.......

pmck003
11-29-2007, 08:23 PM

Definitely a bullet to the head