PDA

View Full Version : Jody Gerut

DVsoxfan
11-29-2007, 02:58 PM
ESPN.com has a blurb about Jody Gerut attempting a comeback. How about giving this guy a shot as a non-roster invitee? From what i remember of him as a rookie with Cleveland he was a pretty good hitter and outfielder. He was pretty awful when he left the Indians though. If I'm not mistaken though most of that was because of is knee injuries, and supposedly he's healthy now. Just an idea, don't know that he would be any better in LF then our in house options.

• Meanwhile, a hitter in Venezuela who has popped a few eyeballs is Jody Gerut (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6634), who is trying to prove he's over his knee issues. Well, here's a good way to prove that: bat .390, with a .488 on-base percentage. Which what Gerut is doing. "He's raking," said the same scout. "He should wind up in somebody's camp."

Taliesinrk
11-29-2007, 03:03 PM
SI has a blurb about Jody Gerut attempting a comeback. How about giving this guy a shot as a non-roster invitee? From what i remember of him as a rookie with Cleveland he was a pretty good hitter and outfielder. He was pretty awful when he left the Indians though. If I'm not mistaken though most of that was because of is knee injuries, and supposedly he's healthy now. Just an idea, don't know that he would be any better in LF then our in house options.

Ohhh... that's what Kenny meant by 1B.. "The Big Fish"

Seriously though, another low risk-high reward type. wouldnt mind seeing him given a shot in the spring.. as long as he's not in ANY type of a plan that we have

ilsox7
11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
He's from the suburbs, too. Willowbrook High School. Then Stanford I think. Then drafted by the Rockies.

thomas35forever
11-29-2007, 03:05 PM
I believe he was a White Sox fan growing up too. Just another one of the Rob Mackowiaks of the world, but I'd like to see the team give him a shot.

guillen4life13
11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Or Josh Paul.

I just saw a little blurb from ESPN.com that said the same thing, and I was immediately on my way to WSI to bring this up--looks like DV got there first.

I liked him when he was a younger player, and if he is back to 100% it could be a very, very good situation if the Sox pick him up.

ilsox7
11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I believe he was a White Sox fan growing up too. Just another one of the Rob Mackowiaks of the world, but I'd like to see the team give him a shot.

Not sure about this. A teammate of mine played with him, though Jody was 3 years older than us, I think. For some reason, it sticks in my head that he was a Cub fan. But this is going back about 12 years, so there is a decent chance I am wrong.

spiffie
11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Not sure about this. A teammate of mine played with him, though Jody was 3 years older than us, I think. For some reason, it sticks in my head that he was a Cub fan. But this is going back about 12 years, so there is a decent chance I am wrong.
I went to high school and graduated with Jody. He was a Sox fan, though not a rabid one as I remember.

soxinem1
11-29-2007, 03:12 PM
This guy is one of the recent mysteries of baseball. He came up and jumped right in to the line up, and was productive from day one.

Then he just dropped like a ton of lead.

He should be in winter ball or something so teams can look at him, if he thinks he's coming back.

ilsox7
11-29-2007, 03:14 PM
I went to high school and graduated with Jody. He was a Sox fan, though not a rabid one as I remember.

Cool. Glad my memory is wrong. :smile:

DumpJerry
11-29-2007, 03:58 PM

Sorry, his pedigree is not strong enough. We don't need him.

HawkDJ
11-29-2007, 04:22 PM

6 degrees of separation here, my mom used to work with his mom. Anyway, he's definitely a Sox fan.

champagne030
11-29-2007, 04:39 PM

I was long gone, but my brother played with him. I always wondered how he went from a 160# stringbean to 215# in about 3 years. I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'.....

He sure looked like he was going to be the real deal when the Indians call him up. Hopefully he gets another crack at the dream.

wulfy
11-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Jason Stark of ESPN.com had a blurb on him (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3132761&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)in Winter Ball:

Meanwhile, a hitter in Venezuela who has popped a few eyeballs is Jody Gerut (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6634), who is trying to prove he's over his knee issues. Well, here's a good way to prove that: bat .390, with a .488 on-base percentage. Which what Gerut is doing. "He's raking," said the same scout. "He should wind up in somebody's camp."

spiffie
11-29-2007, 05:39 PM
I was long gone, but my brother played with him. I always wondered how he went from a 160# stringbean to 215# in about 3 years. I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'.....

He sure looked like he was going to be the real deal when the Indians call him up. Hopefully he gets another crack at the dream.
I saw Jody in the weight room. I saw the way he worked out, I saw the way he ran at 530 in the morning. Obviously anything is possible, but considering the normal effects of growing up it wouldn't at all surprising for him to be all natural.

the1tab
11-29-2007, 05:51 PM
It might have escaped a few memories in here between his high school days as a Sox fan and his various travels though the bigs, but Jody Gerut was part of the glorious Matt Lawton trade from Pittsburgh to the Cubs... and Gerut couldn't get off the bench. He was a mess while a Cub, and was cut pretty quickly by the North Siders.

If the same Gerut is raking off 15 year old this winter, I would have some pause about getting all excited for a guy just because he's a fan. Buy him some season tickets w/ the money he earned playing pretty good ball in Cleveland a number of years ago. If he can play close to where he was in Cleveland, I'd take him as a 4th OF, but nothing more.

Kenny promised an answer. Torii's gone. Aaron's not coming. Andruw still works w/ Boras. Are we seriously trying, digging, praying for a guy like Gerut or (lower post) Preston Wilson to be excited about in our OF? I'm sick of grabbing for straws. Alex Cintron was grabbing for straws. Pablo Ozuna is grabbing for straws. These players do not bring up thoughts of the hardware Kenny has been lusting for openly all fall.

I want a winner. Kenny has told us he would get us one. I don't want to watch strike three get called on a looking GM in December...