PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bo story on ESPN.com

areilly
11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
I swear the Legend of Bo Jackson grows every year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bojackson

"But I also know, if I was healthy, with good hips right now, I'd be the fastest 45-year-old in the country, or in the world," Bo says. "That much I know. That much ... I know."

MUsoxfan
11-29-2007, 01:03 AM
I saw him a couple months ago and he looks to be in terrific shape.

SBSoxFan
11-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I think Bo'll be the greatest athlete I'll ever see. He had HOF talent in two sports.

asindc
11-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Legend has it that at Auburn, Bo spent less time lifting weights than anyone else on the team. He didn't have to, yet he was one of the strongest guys on the team. He is truly a freak of nature.

salty99
11-29-2007, 09:04 AM
And don't forget to visit the Bo Jackson Elite Sports Complex opening next year in Lockport and co-owned by John Cangelosi!

JackK
11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Anyone know what suburb he lives in? Please dont post his address if you have it.

eriqjaffe
11-29-2007, 09:16 AM
"But I also know, if I was healthy, with good hips right now, I'd be the fastest 45-year-old in the country, or in the world," Bo says. "That much I know. That much ... I know."Good to see that Bo still knows.

Rockin Robin
11-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Doesn't he live in Burr Ridge?

skottyj242
11-29-2007, 09:57 AM
When I was like 11 or 12ish I broke my arm and went to a place in Orland for my cast, the same doctor that did my cast did his hip and we were in there at the same time. I was getting a Sox cast put on and the doctor was like "Bo Jackson is in the next room, want to meet him?" So I got to meet him, he signed some autographs. When I went in there a couple of weeks later to get my cast off there were autographed photos and tix to a Sox game towards the end of the year all personalized waiting for me from Bo. Class act.

Anyone remember the show Pro-Stars?

salty99
11-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Anyone remember the show Pro-Stars?

Yes I do...haha! Wayne Gretzky and Jordan

ode to veeck
11-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Who could forget him running right through "the Boz" on a big MNF game, nearly ending the overheralded Boz's short career just on reputation alone

Bo's also a great cook and also a big bow enthusiast as well as all around classy guy (we could more guys like him vs the Moss's and TO's of the sports world these days)

Too bad the hip replacement stuff is still hit or miss as far as getting everything back. They got a lot better after in vivo strain and pressure gauges on a nearly 70 year old woman in the mid 80s found that actual pressures on points in the human hip were a couple of orders of magnitude higher than replacements had been designed for the previous 20 years. While reliability is greatly improved these days, actual performance recovery still has a lot of variance.

I used to play tennis with a guy with both hips barely replaced a year earlier who, at 65, could still rock climb, ride his bike from Mt View to Pescadero and back before playing 6 sets of grueling tennis. In singles I could hit a perfect lefty can-opener into the ad court and Tom could not only get to it and return it from somewhere off the side fence, but also chase down (on the other side) my cross court volley on his return. On the other hand I play with another guy who used to chase down every ball on the court, but with a replaced hip has greatly limited mobility. My brother-in-law, a former 3 sport HS star had the same hip joint syndrome as Bo and now is again playing BBall and other sports again with ease two years after replacement.

Red Barchetta
11-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Who could forget him running right through "the Boz" on a big MNF game, nearly ending the overheralded Boz's short career just on reputation alone

Wasn't that around the same time he broke in with KC and hit that monster CF home run in the All-Star game?!

It's really a shame he got hurt because Deon Sanders then took over as the 2-sport king and I remember thinking that Bo was twice as good. It's really sad that he had that injury because he might have been the best natural athlete of our lifetime.

Nellie_Fox
11-29-2007, 10:39 AM
[quote=ode to veeck;1732833]Who could forget him running right through "the Boz" on a big MNF game, nearly ending the overheralded Boz's short career just on reputation alone

Wasn't that around the same time he broke in with KC and hit that monster CF home run in the All-Star game?!

It's really a shame he got hurt because Deon Sanders then took over as the 2-sport king and I remember thinking that Bo was twice as good. It's really sad that he had that injury because he might have been the best natural athlete of our lifetime.I've gone back and fixed it on the original post, but this is what I was talking about in my "stuck" thread. If you see that the quote didn't work right, fix it or delete it. See how screwed up it gets when the next person quotes your messed up quote?

Dan Mega
11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
I still have a VHS tape somewhere regarding Bo Jackson and his early life along with some of his highlights. I'll have to dig that out.

ode to veeck
11-29-2007, 11:09 AM

The current question in WSI trivia is centered on this event

wulfy
11-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Doesn't he live in Burr Ridge?

Yeah, I've run into him in downtown Hinsdale a few times. He lives in Burr Ridge, which is next door.

JackK
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I've run into him in downtown Hinsdale a few times. He lives in Burr Ridge, which is next door.

Thats interesting. I wonder why so many sox players decide to live in the hinsdale area. I know thome and jenks live there, and frank thomas's doctor that misdiagnosed his fractured foot is in the area.

chaerulez
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Bo Jackson had an amazing career average of 5.4 yards per carry. I know it was only in 25 or so NFL games, but that's really impressive.

Dibbs
11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Thats interesting. I wonder why so many sox players decide to live in the hinsdale area. I know thome and jenks live there, and frank thomas's doctor that misdiagnosed his fractured foot is in the area.

Probably because it is an incredibly upscale area that also has easy access to I-55 and the Cell. Bo does have a home in Burr Ridge...he spotted me on the bench press at Lifetime Fitness about 3-4 years ago.

wulfy
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Probably because it is an incredibly upscale area that also has easy access to I-55 and the Cell. Bo does have a home in Burr Ridge...he spotted me on the bench press at Lifetime Fitness about 3-4 years ago.

Yep - I live in Western Springs, which is the next town east (and not nearly as $$) of Hinsdale, and I can be at the Cell in 20 minutes without traffic.

SBSoxFan
11-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I still have a VHS tape somewhere regarding Bo Jackson and his early life along with some of his highlights. I'll have to dig that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24RkiXnHFr8&feature=related

Fenway
11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
It was in spring training 1989 but I saw Bo Jackson hit a ball that was hit at least 550 feet.

It was at the old Boardwalk and Baseball park that the Royals used in Haines City, Florida ( a town that actually was nothing more than a gas station, the Ted Williams Motel and the amusement park ) I have no idea what is there now

Oil Can Boyd threw a fast ball down the middle and Bo got ALL OF IT.

They had a replica of the KC Crown scoreboard in left center that was 70 feet high and the ball was rising when it went over that.

from the NY TIMES
Bo knows Baseball City Stadium. Swinging against Dennis (Oil Can) Boyd when the Red Sox were here a year ago, Bo bench-pressed a home run over the three huge baseballs high atop the 70-foot scoreboard in left-center field. The ball landed beyond a parking lot, some 550 feet from home plate

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE7D61430F934A15750C0A9669582 60

Hitmenof77
11-29-2007, 12:58 PM

It's really a shame he got hurt because Deon Sanders then took over as the 2-sport king and I remember thinking that Bo was twice as good. It's really sad that he had that injury because he might have been the best natural athlete of our lifetime.

Bo ran over Bozo in 1987. Bo hit his AS game HR in 1989. Bo broke into the majors in 86 after saying no to the NFL.

FedEx227
11-29-2007, 12:59 PM

His son use to come by my store all the time to buy games.

balke
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Quite by coincidence I was looking up some clips of him yesterday. You want to talk about a running back who runs over people (which is what people claim Benson does)? Look at some of Bo's highlights, the guy was insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjO_QfFYV78

Dan Mega
11-29-2007, 03:21 PM
It was in spring training 1989 but I saw Bo Jackson hit a ball that was hit at least 550 feet.

It was at the old Boardwalk and Baseball park that the Royals used in Haines City, Florida ( a town that actually was nothing more than a gas station, the Ted Williams Motel and the amusement park ) I have no idea what is there now

Oil Can Boyd threw a fast ball down the middle and Bo got ALL OF IT.

They had a replica of the KC Crown scoreboard in left center that was 70 feet high and the ball was rising when it went over that.

from the NY TIMES

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE7D61430F934A15750C0A9669582 60

I haven't heard of that one before but holy crap! :o:

chisox77
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
I remember feeling happy about the White Sox acquiring Bo Jackson in 1991. Even after that terrible injury, I felt it was a good move to have a guy like him on the team. It was just a real neat thing to watch updates on his rehabilitation routines, his work ethic, and how it all ended up with him hitting that homerun against the Yankees on Opening Day of 1993, though I recall that Bo played some ball in 1992 as well. I think that homerun against the Yankees was dedicated to his mom, who died the previous year.

:cool:

wassagstdu
11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Bo might have been the greatest baseball player ever.

EMel9281
11-29-2007, 07:07 PM
If Bo Jackson and Chuck Norris got into a fight, who would win?

bobwsx
11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Probably because it is an incredibly upscale area that also has easy access to I-55 and the Cell. Bo does have a home in Burr Ridge...he spotted me on the bench press at Lifetime Fitness about 3-4 years ago.I'm sure that was a great honor for Bo.:rolleyes:

sbsox
11-29-2007, 11:20 PM

They have been living in the Hinsdale/Burr Ridge area for years. In the 70's quite a few players lived in the Rosewood Trace apartments, near route 83 and 91st street. A friend of mine in high school that worked at the Willowbrook Shell Station stole a pair of Dick Allens spikes when his Tbird was in for an oil change...

Fenway
11-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I haven't heard of that one before but holy crap! :o:

That is what the 8,000 people in the park said too :tongue:

Boardwalk and Baseball was a fun place but it was too close to that other park 30 miles down I-4

http://www.springtrainingonline.com/features/baseball_city.htm

Lorenzo Barcelo
11-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Why didn't he ever play more than 11 games a season? Was that because of baseball conflicts?

MinnySoxFan
11-30-2007, 06:08 AM
His son use to come by my store all the time to buy games.

I believe one of his sons goes to one of the colleges in my town.

Hitmenof77
11-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Why didn't he ever play more than 11 games a season? Was that because of baseball conflicts?

Exactly. If the Royals were in contention, which they were back in the mid to late 80's, Bo would stay with the team until the end of September.