PDA

View Full Version : Shortstops

palehosepub
11-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Would you have rather have had the Sox trade Garland to Baltimore for Miguel Tejada (and a little extra cash) or have the Sox mad the Garland for Cabrera trade?

btrain929
11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Garland for Cabrera and Cash. Baltimore might not have even done Garland for Tejada straight up. I'm happy with the deal that took place.

palehosepub
11-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Garland for Cabrera and Cash. Baltimore might not have even done Garland for Tejada straight up. I'm happy with the deal that took place.

Baltimore would be estatic to get rid of Tejada because of his signs of slowing and steroid spectualtion. I heard the Sox could of also got a prospect from Baltimore too.

SBSoxFan
11-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, I'd rather have Hanley Ramirez, but I'm pretty sure Cabrera is a much better fit than Tejada.

Myrtle72
11-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Baltimore would be estatic to get rid of Tejada because of his signs of slowing and steroid spectualtion. I heard the Sox could of also got a prospect from Baltimore too.

That's exactly why Cabrera is much better than Tejada.

Daver
11-28-2007, 08:45 PM

I heard the moon is made of cheese too.

ksimpson14
11-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Neither, I like pitching and thought SS was the least important hole of our holes

gregory18n
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Cabrera is good, but we didn't need him; while we also lost Garland. Another bad deal!

ode to veeck
11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
who cares, cabrera is our man now

gregory18n
11-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, let's see: I do. we filled a position that was already filled & lost a very good starting pitcher.

Jimmy Piersall
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, let's see: I do. we filled a position that was already filled & lost a very good starting pitcher.

Let's see what Kenny does with the roster in the next week or so
before getting all jumpy.He upgraded the SS postion offensively
by far,and defensively as well...yeah,i know he still has work to
do with the rotation so let it play out a bit.If he comes back with
Grandpa,Danks,and Floyd as our 3-4-5 then we can head for the
window ledges.

btrain929
11-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Just because Uribe resigned with the team doesn't mean the SS position was filled.

soxinem1
11-30-2007, 04:05 PM
The Sox needed a true bat-handler for the #2 hole, which they have not had ina LONG time.

In addition to making contact, Cabrera can hit, has extra base power, and is top notch on the DP.

This is what we needed, so I vote for Orlando!

santo=dorf
11-30-2007, 04:08 PM
The Sox needed a true bat-handler for the #2 hole, which they have not had ina LONG time.

In addition to making contact, Cabrera can hit, has extra base power, and is top notch on the DP.

This is what we needed, so I vote for Orlando!

A .403 SLG% is hardly extra base power, and Tejada does exactly the things you listed.

Even with his declining power numbers (it's more of a normal distribution) Tejada has better numbers than Cabrera. Since Tejada is signed longer, I'd go with him.

The Milkman
11-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Are we forgetting how bad tejada is defensively??? He looks as weathered as Contreras. Dude played well over a thousand straight games.

SoxSpeed22
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I said Cabrera for basically the same reasons as soxinem1. He uses all sides of the field and is sure-handed. With Tejada, he has good on-base, not great, he can knock runs in, but he is declining quickly, has that huge contract and the steroid allegations.

FarWestChicago
11-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Even with his declining power numbers (it's more of a normal distribution) Tejada has better numbers than Cabrera. Since Tejada is signed longer, I'd go with him.You have not begun to see the decline of Tejada sans 'roids. He was a Beane baby. He went to Baltimore. You would be hard pressed to find a junkie on the streets with more tract marks. :D:

JB98
11-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Cabrera. Shortstop is a defensive position first and foremost.

Cabrera's glove > Tejada's

Bucky F. Dent
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Without much question, Cabrera.

soxinem1
12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
A .403 SLG% is hardly extra base power, and Tejada does exactly the things you listed.

Even with his declining power numbers (it's more of a normal distribution) Tejada has better numbers than Cabrera. Since Tejada is signed longer, I'd go with him.

80 doubles combined the last two seasons, and he's far more suited to play SS than Tejada is.

Tejada = Cabrera on defense? Not even close, especially since 2005.

We need help at the top portion of the lineup and Cabrera brings it. His bat handling skills are desperately needed. He may not draw a lot of BB's, but with a decent lead-off man this will work, not to mention that Cabrera can steal a few bases.

santo=dorf
12-02-2007, 02:44 AM
80 doubles combined the last two seasons, and he's far more suited to play SS than Tejada is.

Tejada = Cabrera on defense? Not even close, especially since 2005.

We need help at the top portion of the lineup and Cabrera brings it. His bat handling skills are desperately needed. He may not draw a lot of BB's, but with a decent lead-off man this will work, not to mention that Cabrera can steal a few bases.
I don't think Tejada is as good on defense as Cabrera, and Tejada will produce more runs by getting on base more and having a hire SLG% instead of only stealing a measly 20 bases throughout a year.

The number of doubles is should not be used as a measure of extra base power because you don't mention how many at-bats the player has. In the past two years he had 1245 at-bats. Is 80 doubles really that impressive?
Frank Thomas only has 41 doubles over the past two seasons. I guess Cabrera is twice the power hitter as Frank.