PDA

View Full Version : Angels introduce Hunter, Garland

doublem23
11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071128/capt.1b40442f861b4e7e94018b9c081897bf.angels_hunte r_garland_baseball_carf102.jpg?x=316&y=345&sig=0dp5fWKStcg8mJijDVF_DQ--

No real news... Just a photo that makes me want to hit the bottle.

Woofer
11-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Great, now I feel sad.

Thomes Forearm
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
who'll be at SS for them now?

Crede_Fan
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
:(:

Sockinchisox
11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I listened to the presser, it made me want to cry. (figuratively)

goon
11-28-2007, 06:05 PM
If you asked most baseball fans, "Torii Hunter and Jon Garland will be on the same team in '08, who will it be?" 9/10 would have said the White Sox. There is kind of an initial sting when first seeing that photo, mostly because of Jon and how long he has been with the Sox organization, but I always pictured him wearing an Angel uniform at some point in his career... I didn't know it would be next year...

Orlando Cabrera is a good addition to the team though.

Foulke You
11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Y'know, the sight of Torii Hunter in a Twins uniform always sickened me. I didn't think it would be possible to feel worse about a Torii Hunter pic until I see him sporting that Angels uniform. I hope he hits .220 this year. :angry:

Sockinchisox
11-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Y'know, the sight of Torii Hunter in a Twins uniform always sickened me. I didn't think it would be possible to feel worse about a Torii Hunter pic until I see him sporting that Angels uniform. I hope he hits .220 this year. :angry:

The Angels are on my top 10 most hated teams list now just because of that signing.

VenturaFan23
11-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I just think back to the 2005 ALCS to ease my pain :smile:

ShoelessJoeS
11-28-2007, 06:33 PM
That hat doesn't look right on Jon.

asindc
11-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Yawn. Make that $90 million worth of yawn.

jenn2080
11-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Can someone pass me the barf bag please? :whiner::angry:

:puking:

doublem23
11-28-2007, 07:40 PM
That hat doesn't look right on Jon.

Nothing looks right on Jon except white and black.

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070517/070517_chisox_hmed_5p.hmedium.jpg

peeonwrigley
11-28-2007, 09:06 PM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/images/070718liney-react.jpghttp://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/images/2006/06/24/zDH72oo8.jpg

That cheer you up?

Myrtle72
11-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Garland really is a tall guy...

Yeah, that sucks, we missed out, and I'm not gonna dwell on it now. :gulp:

veeter
11-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Jon was one of my favorites, but I'm o.k. with the trade. Cabrera is a quality pro. And I'd say a better shortstop than Jon a pitcher. Hunter, I couldn't care less about. But what the media misses out on is, the Sox benefit bigtime that he's no longer a Twin. We won either way.

ChiSoxGirl
11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071128/capt.1b40442f861b4e7e94018b9c081897bf.angels_hunte r_garland_baseball_carf102.jpg?x=316&y=345&sig=0dp5fWKStcg8mJijDVF_DQ--

You and me both, my friend, especially because Garland's wearing that hat! :angry:

doublem23
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I find it strange that you can order a Torii Hunter jersey through Angels.com but you can't get a Jon Garland. :?:

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever been tempted to get a jersey other than a White Sox one.

Dan Mega
11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I find it strange that you can order a Torii Hunter jersey through Angels.com but you can't get a Jon Garland. :?:

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever been tempted to get a jersey other than a White Sox one.

Get one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Ross-Gload-2007-Kansas-City-Royals-game-used-jersey_W0QQitemZ220145288852QQihZ012QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)

Domeshot17
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Personally all I see in that picture is 2 guys who in 2009 will be making way way way more money then either is worth:smile:

Go Sox

FireMariotti
11-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow, someone actually got a photo of the egg on Kenny's face! :redneck

spawn
11-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Wow, someone actually got a photo of the egg on Kenny's face! :redneck
And how exactly does KW have egg on his face? Because there's a picture of a CF the Angels overpaid to get, or because of the picture of Garland, a #3 starter in the lat year of his contract we traded for a Gold Glove winning SS? :rolleyes:

Gavin
11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
And how exactly does KW have egg on his face? Because there's a picture of a CF the Angels overpaid to get, or because of the picture of Garland, a #3 starter in the lat year of his contract we traded for a Gold Glove winning SS? :rolleyes:

Keep on saying that to yourself when we have to watch Gavin Floyd and Jerry Owens start.

FarWestChicago
11-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Keep on saying that to yourself when we have to watch Gavin Floyd and Jerry Owens start.Does everybody with Gavin in their name suck? :redneck

spawn
11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Keep on saying that to yourself when we have to watch Gavin Floyd and Jerry Owens start.
So you're saying KW should've gotten into a bidding war for Hunter? Are you saying Hunter is worth more than 5 years, $90 million dollars? he's not even worth the contract he signed. I was all for Hunter coming here...but not at that price. The Angels overpaid to get him. Period.

As far as Garland, the chances he was going to be resigned were slim to none IMO. I'm not upset at all with that trade.

So again, how does KW have egg on his face? :rolleyes:

drewcifer
11-29-2007, 08:36 AM

He doesn't. The deal was always Garland for a position player/high order hitter and a proven RP. That's exactly what he got, just not all from one team. Apparently the Angels wouldn't throw in a decent enough RP, so Kenny picked up cash to subsidize a purchase for Linebrink. Hopefully he pans out.

Anyway, accomplishing a goal <> "egg on face" on it's own. Only time will prove if the goal itself (or specifically, the players performance) is worthy of that assessment, IMO.

asindc
11-29-2007, 08:36 AM
So you're saying KW should've gotten into a bidding war for Hunter? Are you saying Hunter is worth more than 5 years, $90 million dollars? he's not even worth the contract he signed. I was all for Hunter coming here...but not at that price. The Angels overpaid to get him. Period.

As far as Garland, the chances he was going to be resigned were slim to none IMO. I'm not upset at all with that trade.

Spawn, you just don't seem to understand. This is only monopoly money the Sox are spending. Why can't they offer 5/95 to Hunter and 13-14 mil a year to Garland? It's not like it's real money! Man, you just don't get it!

nccwsfan
11-29-2007, 08:50 AM

Exactly. We've upgraded offensively and defensively at SS by trading a guy who wasn't going to sign here next year. We've also saved $15 million to address all of the outstanding issues (CF or LF, a leadoff hitter, bullpen, possibly a starter).

Peope were upset to see Magglio in a Tigers uni and Carlos Lee in a Brewers uni too. It's only November- there's plenty of time for KW to address these issues. And give the new guys a chance- geez people complain about getting bullpen help, and when they sign one of the best FA options out there we still complain. :rolleyes:

Gavin
11-29-2007, 09:07 AM
If we're going to play the "wait and see" game, then fine, KW does not have an egg on his face. You win.

Now, some rolly eyes; they look like fun... I'm sure if I rolled my eyes at someone as much as you did in real life I would get punched in the face.

:rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

spawn
11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
If we're going to play the "wait and see" game, then fine, KW does not have an egg on his face. You win.

Now, some rolly eyes; they look like fun... I'm sure if I rolled my eyes at someone as much as you did in real life I would get punched in the face.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Those smilies are here for a reason: To be used when someone makes a post that others would find...well...absurd. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to post here. :wink:

Gavin
11-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Those smilies are here for a reason: To be used when someone makes a post that others would find...well...absurd. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to post here. :wink:

Yes, it's absurd to think that by removing Garland adding Linebrink and Cabrera this team as it stands will not win less than 97 games in 2008 with Jerry Owens starting in CF.

spawn
11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Yes, it's absurd to think that by removing Garland adding Linebrink and Cabrera this team as it stands will not win less than 97 games in 2008 with Jerry Owens starting in CF.
Where have I stated that? I don't think I've said the team as it stands is capable of winning 97 games, the Central, let alone winning a World Series. But unilke a lot of Chicken Littles around here, I'll wait until after the off-season before I start throwing KW and the Sox organization under the bus. Adding Cabrera improved the team at SS. Not signing Hunter to an outrageous contract was a wise move. I'll wait to see what other moves KW makes.

jenn2080
11-29-2007, 09:37 AM
:deadhorse::deadhorse:

champagne030
11-29-2007, 10:02 AM
He doesn't. The deal was always Garland for a position player/high order hitter and a proven RP. That's exactly what he got, just not all from one team. Apparently the Angels wouldn't throw in a decent enough RP, so Kenny picked up cash to subsidize a purchase for Linebrink. Hopefully he pans out.

Anyway, accomplishing a goal <> "egg on face" on it's own. Only time will prove if the goal itself (or specifically, the players performance) is worthy of that assessment, IMO.

KW doesn't have "egg on his face" for the Garland trade or failing to land Hunter, but the idea that he traded Garland for Cabrera and Linebrink is false. He traded Garland for Cabrera and saved $3.5M. Now, he can use that cash to subsidize some of the $19M we owe Linebrink or the SP we'll need to sign to replace Garland in the rotation.