PDA

View Full Version : Pray Bud Selig never retires if Boston Herald is right

Fenway
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
live long and prosper Bud :rolleyes:

In the wake of the Steinberg announcement, there’s been talk that Lucchino also isn’t long for Boston. Depending on who’s yammering, he’s either heading south to Miami to help the Marlins build a new ballyard or ready to step in as the commissioner of Major League Baseball when Bud Selig retires in 2009.

http://www.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1047463

this however would not shock me as I have thought it was the plan from Day 1

But his departure also fuels speculation that the Red Sox ownership isn’t long for Boston. The theory is that the current custodians of the Olde Town Team will reach the last of the ninth when the city finally gives the go-ahead for the team to expand Fenway to over 39,000 seats.

“After that, the ballpark is at capacity and it’s harder for them to generate more and more cash,” said one source. “Maybe after that, the ownership will want to cash out.”

Goose
11-28-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't get it...what is it that I should be praying for?

Fenway
11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't get it...what is it that I should be praying for?

You do not want Larry Luchinno to replace Selig.

Daver
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
You do not want Larry Luchinno to replace Selig.

It will never happen.

Fenway
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
It will never happen.

I dunno Daver....Larry knows how to make money....but I don't know if he can repair the bridges he burnt with the PA after they turned down the contract Boston had for A-Rod.

I'm sure Bud already knows who will replace him.

johnr1note
11-29-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm sure Bud already knows who will replace him.

Jerry Reinsdorf?

mrfourni
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Jerry Reinsdorf?

No, Jerry is the man holding the strings.

russ99
11-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Baseball needs a real commissioner. Not a Selig-like puppet controlled by ownership.

skottyj242
11-29-2007, 10:19 AM
George W. Bush.

Oblong
11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Bob Costas did ask Bush about that since he'd be relatively young when he gets out of office. He said if they restored the power of the commissioner to act "in the best interest" clause, instead of just being a representative of the owners, then he'd strongly consider it.

In Fay Vincent's book he talks about the situation when Selig was named commissioner. If you recall, Bush was still owner of the Rangers. If you believe Vincent's account thet Bush called him and said "Bud thinks I can become the commissioner and said he'll back me. But these guys in Texas want me to run for governor. What should I do?" Vincent told him that if Selig's behind it then he probably wants the job for himself so he won't get it.

mrfourni
11-29-2007, 10:43 AM
The next baseball Commissioner? Bob Kraft of course.

TheVulture
11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Damn that Fay Vincent!

Fenway
11-29-2007, 12:29 PM
I wonder if Selig will give the job to his friend Bob DuPuy( man is a complete idiot )

http://www.cnnsi.com/baseball/news/2002/08/16/strike_date_ap/t1_dupuy_ap.jpg

slavko
11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Baseball needs a real commissioner. Not a Selig-like puppet controlled by ownership.

This will happen when corporate CEO's are named to look after the interests of workers and consumers, not those of ownership. In other words, never, and I know never is a long time.

Daver
11-29-2007, 06:41 PM
This will happen when corporate CEO's are named to look after the interests of workers and consumers, not those of ownership. In other words, never, and I know never is a long time.

It will happen if congress seriously considers stripping MLB of it's anti trust exemption.

Hokiesox
12-01-2007, 09:59 AM
It will happen if congress seriously considers stripping MLB of it's anti trust exemption.

Unfortunately, this will never happen.