PDA

View Full Version : Mark Prior?

getonbckthr
11-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Cubs are exploring trade options. I would like Kenny to explore this. If we could him for cheap its worth to take a chance. Buy low with possible big results.

DumpJerry
11-27-2007, 05:34 PM
No. He's always hurtin'. The Cubs have not even hinted that he is able to play (unlike Wood whom they were always giving updates on). Ever since he gave up that foul ball in the 2003 NLCS that Alou did not get, he's been ineffective.

If, and this is a big IF, he pitches again, I see him getting 8 or 9 wins.

No. No. No. This isn't a Cub thing, it's just that he does not have it any more.

santo=dorf
11-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Sure, why not? Look at the cash we wasted last offseason on players with injury histories.

Sargeant79
11-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Sure, as long as all he costs us is an A-ball pitcher that I've never heard of.

kwkonsl
11-27-2007, 06:08 PM
I have to agree that I would go after a risky veteran starting pitcher whether it be Mark Prior, Matt Clement, or Bartolo Colon ect. It would be cheep to sign one year contract for Clement or Colon with option and incentives and only a prospect to get Prior. This way we can have them compete with our young guns and it should have everyone better. If at the end of speing training Ozzie thinks that Floyd, Danks, Gio or Broadway are better then start them in the spot. I just dont see it as a big risk especially if we trade both Crede and Uribe. We would save close to 9 million with them off the books. Use that for one of these guys and one more bullpen guy.

PorkChopExpress
I'd take a flyer on him, but I imagine we will have to severely outbid anyone else interested. Could you imagine the PR the Cubs would have to suffer if Prior made his way to the South Side and turned things around? I just don't see it happening.

Risk
I'll give that buffoon GM 1 toilet, 2 bag of baseballs and a churro for Prior...

On second thought, just the toilet and the baseballs.

Risk

sullythered
11-27-2007, 06:11 PM
I'd take a flyer for the right price (dirt cheap). Who knows, maybe he's the next Chris Carpenter.

getonbckthr
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I'd take a flyer for the right price (dirt cheap). Who knows, maybe he's the next Chris Carpenter.
Good point.

MDF3530
11-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I'd give Hendry a $25 gift card to Krispy Kreme to not trade him to the Sox.

wsoxfan
11-27-2007, 06:14 PM
A trade that actually might make sense is to trade Uribe for Prior. We don't need Uribe anymore and they need a SS. I don't see why this wouldn't work unless the Cubs want more than Uribe in which case I don't know if it'd be worth the risk for the Sox...

DumpJerry
11-27-2007, 06:17 PM
A trade that actually might make sense is to trade Uribe for Prior. We don't need Uribe anymore and they need a SS. I don't see why this wouldn't work unless the Cubs want more than Uribe in which case I don't know if it'd be worth the risk for the Sox...
We can get more for Uribe and The Riot seems to be working out alright for them (according the Cub fans I know).

FarWestChicago
11-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Sure, why not? Look at the cash we wasted last offseason on players with injury histories.Is that your two wrongs make a right theory? :D:

DumpJerry
11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I'll give that buffoon GM 1 toilet, 2 bag of baseballs and a churro for Prior...

On second thought, just the toilet and the baseballs.

Risk
Some (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95021) people would give away the entire inventory of Churros for a bag of balls.

JB98
11-27-2007, 06:47 PM
We can get more for Uribe and The Riot seems to be working out alright for them (according the Cub fans I know).

Flub fans overrate The Riot big time. Shortstop is a weakness for the Cubs.

That said, I would not trade Uribe for Mark Prior. We have enough injury risks on the team already. I'd like to see Uribe traded for a relief pitcher.

AJ Hellraiser
11-27-2007, 06:47 PM
You're all joking right?

Prior's career is over... he can't or won't throw over 90 anymore...

The guy is a giant wuss.... he always says his arm is hurting somewhere, but there is never anything wrong with him... it's all the same pain every pitcher feels at some point in a season, but he panics and won't pitch through it...

I mean they did exploratory surgery on the guy and found nothing structurally wrong with him.. he's a joke...

Not to mention he was roiding... and if you don't believe me, look at a picture from 2003 compared to whatever is most recent... check how his calves went from looking like watermelons to grapefruits.... it's ridiculous...

Daver
11-27-2007, 07:00 PM
You're all joking right?

Greg Maddux never could throw 90, he had a decent career.

Most of you people put way to much stock in velocity, further proof that the radar gun should be banned from baseball.

WhiteSox5187
11-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Greg Maddux never could throw 90, he had a decent career.

Most of you people put way to much stock in velocity, further proof that the radar gun should be banned from baseball.
When Maddux was younger he could hit the low 90s with some consistency, the differences is that Maddux would throw the ball exactly where he wanted it, Prior not so much. And Prior WAS throwing in the high 90s in '03, so he coudl blow it by guys when he made a mistake.

Prior is struggling to break 80 now much less 90 and he got hit HARD in ST last year and then didn't pitch again, unlike Wood who regained his velocity and helped the Cubs out of the pen...I take a pass on Prior. The guy a) can't stay healthy and b) doesn't seem to ahve it anymore.

dickallen15
11-27-2007, 07:24 PM
When Maddux was younger he could hit the low 90s with some consistency, the differences is that Maddux would throw the ball exactly where he wanted it, Prior not so much. And Prior WAS throwing in the high 90s in '03, so he coudl blow it by guys when he made a mistake.

Prior is struggling to break 80 now much less 90 and he got hit HARD in ST last year and then didn't pitch again, unlike Wood who regained his velocity and helped the Cubs out of the pen...I take a pass on Prior. The guy a) can't stay healthy and b) doesn't seem to ahve it anymore.

His arm was screwed up and he's had it repaired. Obviously, it remains to be seen what he can do, but he might like the White Sox. They put guys on towel drills occassionally.

Daver
11-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Two things.

I would have zero interest in the Sox trading for Prior.

The Cubs really need to take a long hard look at their pitching coaches and training staff.

chisox77
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I have mixed feelings about this . . . it's worth a thought.

:?:

veeter
11-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Because Wood and Prior were enshrined into the stupid cub fan hall of fame, Hendry seems reluctant and scared to part with these two. He's so fearful they would succeed somewhere else, he puts up with the injuries (Wood & Prior) and arrogance (Prior). Prior, in so many words, has begged for a trade. Fatty will just not move him. Especially to our Sox.

nccwsfan
11-27-2007, 09:04 PM
If the price is right and others aren't bidding up for his services, what's the harm? Low risk, potential high reward.

jdm2662
11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
You're all joking right?

The guy is a giant wuss.... he always says his arm is hurting somewhere, but there is never anything wrong with him... it's all the same pain every pitcher feels at some point in a season, but he panics and won't pitch through it...

I mean they did exploratory surgery on the guy and found nothing structurally wrong with him.. he's a joke...

Not to mention he was roiding... and if you don't believe me, look at a picture from 2003 compared to whatever is most recent... check how his calves went from looking like watermelons to grapefruits.... it's ridiculous...

McDowell might have not been inaccurate for accusing him of roiding.

AJ Hellraiser
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
His arm was screwed up and he's had it repaired. Obviously, it remains to be seen what he can do, but he might like the White Sox. They put guys on towel drills occassionally.

This is where the general public is wrong... his arm was never screwed up... he wasn't Kerry Wood... Now, his brain being screwed up.. that's more like it...

Read my previous post... his aches and pains were all normal for a pitcher that throws 200+ innings a year... he just constantly would panic, and wouldn't go out there and suck it up and pitch through a little ache and pain...

Dusty Baker told me to my face here in Bristol that so many times when Prior claimed to be injured he knew it was B.S. but as a manager he couldn't say anything to the media out of fear that for once it was a legit injury... then he would for sure be fired and harshly ridiculed so he just bit his lip each time

DumpJerry
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
On the night Mark Buehrle threw his no-hitter, the top speed he reached was 89 mph.

Speed kills.

I don't see Prior being the apple in Kenny's eye.

cws05champ
11-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I just can't see the Cubs trading him to the Sox. The Cubs are so afraid to deal him because IF he becomes dominant again for another team, they would look stupid. And they wouldn't want him in Chicago for everyone in Chicago to see it. If he was in Cali or another place, it would make it sting a little less (out of sight out of mind).

JackK
11-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Cubs are exploring trade options. I would like Kenny to explore this. If we could him for cheap its worth to take a chance. Buy low with possible big results.

The way I see it, every player has some value (that value can be zero or even negative in the right circumstances). If we can get him for a great, no-risk deal, let's say for 1m for one year, I say go for it. I think its pretty well known his value is low, with personality problems, injuries and a history of doping.

Goose
11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
I just can't see the Cubs trading him to the Sox. The Cubs are so afraid to deal him because IF he becomes dominant again for another team, they would look stupid. And they wouldn't want him in Chicago for everyone in Chicago to see it. If he was in Cali or another place, it would make it sting a little less (out of sight out of mind).

I don't get this thinking...If I was a Cubs fan, I would have wanted Prior (and Wood) gone a long time ago. If they were moved and they happened to succeed somewhere else, so be it...I would not have wanted to rely on them once again to be healthy and once again be disappointed. The fear of looking stupid should not be placed in the Cubs moving Prior. It should be placed in keeping him. If you ask me, the Cubs already look stupid for holding on to the 2003 dream.

soxinem1
11-28-2007, 10:05 AM

Ah, nothing like looking at the glass as half full versus half empty!

WizardsofOzzie
11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Coop will have to learn the towel throwing drill :rolleyes:

areilly
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Link?

JB98
11-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't get this thinking...If I was a Cubs fan, I would have wanted Prior (and Wood) gone a long time ago. If they were moved and they happened to succeed somewhere else, so be it...I would not have wanted to rely on them once again to be healthy and once again be disappointed. The fear of looking stupid should not be placed in the Cubs moving Prior. It should be placed in keeping him. If you ask me, the Cubs already look stupid for holding on to the 2003 dream.

But if you were a Cubs fan (and thankfully you are not), you would be much more casual in your baseball allegiance. You would have believed the media when they told you that Wood and Prior were the golden tickets for the Cubs, and in your casualness, deep in your heart you would still believe that today.

I agree with veeter. The Cubs hold on to these guys because of fear of backlash from their legion of casual dopes who cling to the notion that Wood and Prior will someday do the job they failed to finish in 2003. This is the Cubbie business model. This is why they lose.

jenn2080
11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
This is a no brainer. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jenn2080
11-28-2007, 03:07 PM

Isn't that the case recently with any player that leaves the Cubs?

LITTLE NELL
11-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Prior is the last guy I would want to see in a White Sox uniform. He's a whiny little baby.

areilly
11-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Prior is the last guy I would want to see in a White Sox uniform. He's a whiny little baby.

Good call, because the Sox have never had guys like that on the team before...

DumpJerry
11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
If Prior is on the Sox, I predict Ozzie will shoot him in the head by May 1st.

MDF3530
11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Don't forget the simulated games :D: .

If simulated games counted, Prior & Wood would three-time co-Cy Young winners.

MDF3530
11-28-2007, 07:09 PM
If Prior is on the Sox, I predict Ozzie will shoot him in the head by April 1st.Fixed it.

PalehosePlanet
11-28-2007, 10:55 PM
This is his last year of arbitration, he'd make about 3 to 3.5 million to prabably not pitch a game for us in '08. Or he'd come back for 3 or 4 games before going back on the DL. After the season he would become a FA and, of course, we would have no interest in re-signing him.

I have zero interest in him; I sincerely think that his career is more or less over.

ksimpson14
11-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Yes, why not

I would think this of Wood even more. No one is questioning all that weight loss? He's turned into Screech.

ilsox7
11-29-2007, 04:22 AM
Yes, why not

I would think this of Wood even more. No one is questioning all that weight loss? He's turned into Screech.

IMO, Wood just looks like he got on a treadmill for about 6 months and lost the baby fat.

Foulke You
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
If we're going for reclamation projects, I'd go for guys with a longer track record of effectiveness like Bartolo Colon, Matt Clement, or even a Kris Benson. Prior basically had 1.5 good seasons. Half of 2002 and all of 2003. For those keeping track, that is 4 years ago.

Also, I agree with previous posters. No way do the Cubs trade Prior to the Sox unless KW was foolish and overwhelmed them with a trade offer. (which he shouldn't do) It would be a PR disaster for them if Prior came to the South Side and won 16 games. Make no mistake, the price for Prior is higher for the White Sox than other clubs.

soxinem1
11-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Yes, why not

http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/imagenes/fotosdeldia/dustin-diamond.jpg

'Me? I'm the next Kerry Wood?

I think Coop will throw iin the towel by the end of March........