PDA

View Full Version : To everyone ticked about "God Bless America"...

Pete_SSAC
04-16-2002, 04:33 PM
instead of "Take me out to the ballgame." Read this, it will make you feel a lot better.

See, here's the thing, you can sing the lyrics to "Take me out" but to the tune of God Bless. It really works. I mean, perfectly. That's what I'm doing, and maybe it'll start some sort of movement to let them know that this IS a baseball game we are attending, not so rally or something.

- Pete

the scorekeeper
04-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Someone else suggested that to me the other day, but I don't think I will.

I think that intentionally messing with the lyrics is rude and disrespectful to those who _are_ singing. It's a patriotic song, and I have trouble (personally) with doing anything more than simply standing there quietly with my hat off.

My problem, aside from being bored/tired of the song, is with it being pushed on us. Patriotism is a very personal thing, and to have it mandated by MLB an extra time during each game is unfortunate. The national anthem is the perfect way to show our love of our country and link it to baseball. We don't need anything else at this point.

foulkesfan11
04-16-2002, 04:48 PM
The National Anthem is enough.

Pete_SSAC
04-16-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by the scorekeeper
Someone else suggested that to me the other day, but I don't think I will.

I think that intentionally messing with the lyrics is rude and disrespectful to those who _are_ singing. It's a patriotic song, and I have trouble (personally) with doing anything more than simply standing there quietly with my hat off.

My problem, aside from being bored/tired of the song, is with it being pushed on us. Patriotism is a very personal thing, and to have it mandated by MLB an extra time during each game is unfortunate. The national anthem is the perfect way to show our love of our country and link it to baseball. We don't need anything else at this point.

Oh yeah, the moment of slience at 9:11, THAT won't get too old, too quick.

"Hey Bud, I thought you wanted to speed up the games! Get your head outta there!"

- Pete

ListGod
04-16-2002, 05:31 PM
To whoever said this is a "patriotic" song, I beg to differ. It's a religious song and as such is offensive to those who either do not practice religion or do not believe in a god.

It is wrong to force religion down people's throats. It has no place at a baseball game.

LG :gulp:

the scorekeeper
04-16-2002, 06:04 PM
The moment of silence is supposedly a one-time thing.

On the religious aspect, I at least partially agree - but you draw more flies with honey than vinegar. We're more likely to be taken seriously if we aren't insulting anyone's religiuos beliefs on top of their love of their country. sigh.

WinningUgly!
04-17-2002, 02:33 PM
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/ranton.gif
My problem with the whole "God Bless America" thing is that people are only patriotic when it's "the thing" to do. How come "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" was good enough before 9/11. Why does it take a tragedy to make red white & blue hip? I am so fed up with people making money off of 9/11. You can't go into a store anymore without seeing aisle after aisle of American Flag items. Don't get me wrong, being patriotic is great when it's for the right reasons. My problem with it starts when big buisnesses capitalize on people's patriotic emotions & the people allow it to be done to them. MLB is using "GBA" as a feelgood marketing tool...that is just wrong.
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/rantoff.gif

Bmr31
04-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ListGod
To whoever said this is a "patriotic" song, I beg to differ. It's a religious song and as such is offensive to those who either do not practice religion or do not believe in a god.

It is wrong to force religion down people's throats. It has no place at a baseball game.

LG :gulp:

umm have you listened to the words of the song ? The song is about America, not God. Its not a "religious" song ....

moochpuppy
04-17-2002, 02:54 PM
To be honest, I think if someone is patriotic and loves their country then there shouldn't be any problem singing the National Anthem or God Bless America at any time, anywhere. Whether it's because of "911" or not. It's not like their asking you to take a prostate exam.

Bmr31
04-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
To be honest, I think if someone is patriotic and loves their country then there shouldn't be any problem singing the National Anthem or God Bless America at any time, anywhere. Whether it's because of "911" or not. It's not like their asking you to take a prostate exam.

great point.

Cheryl
04-17-2002, 03:00 PM
I'll tell you what I've been doing. Sitting quietly during the Berlin song, then singing Take Me Out. I've been getting people to join in also.

Cheryl
04-17-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I honestly feel GBA is a piece of crap song. I hate the sound of it, I also don't like God Bless the King/Queen or whatever song the music was ripped off from. That is all GBA is a cheap knock off of a English song.

Sweetie, that's "My Country, Tis of Thee" that's sung to the tune of "God Save the Queen."

FarWestChicago
04-17-2002, 04:02 PM
Please continue the off topic brawl in the Yet Another Brawl thread in The Parking Lot. Thank you.

Mathew
04-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Sorry. It's been a confrontational day :cool:

FarWestChicago
04-17-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Sorry. It's been a confrontational day :cool: It was a good thread. I just moved it to the right place. :smile: