PDA

View Full Version : Could the sox be exploring a Santana trade?

JackK
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Reading all of the news about an potential Santana trade, I think you have to think about the possibility that KW may make a run for Santana:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3121887

Twins reportedly want a bag of young talent, Santana wants 7/$150M. The best pitcher on the planet is pretty much worth those dollars, IMHO. Riensdorf said the pocketbook is open... The twinkies need someone at 3B, we could trade Fields/Richar/Owens plus maybe Uribe (no other good reason, might as well throw him in there).

Plus, I just can't think that KW really thinks our starting pitching for next year will be Contreas/Danks/Floyd for our 3,4,5 spots, and expect to win that many more games in 08 than we did in 07.

KW also said that the number one man on his mind is still out there, and this was reported _after_ the Torii Hunter deal went south (err.. west). And, I dont see how this could be referring to linebrink.

What do you think? Is it a possibility to win a bidding war with the Yankees, Mets and Angels?

JermaineDye05
11-26-2007, 03:57 PM
If the Sox have any hope at acquiring Johan it's either through free agency or through trade with another team. The Twins aren't going to trade their ace to their biggest rival.

spiffie
11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Reading all of the news about an potential Santana trade, I think you have to think about the possibility that KW may make a run for Santana:

Twins reportedly want a bag of young talent, Santana wants 7/$150M. The best pitcher on the planet is pretty much worth those dollars, IMHO. Riensdorf said the pocketbook is open... The twinkies need someone at 3B, we could trade Fields/Richar/Owens plus maybe Uribe (no other good reason, might as well throw him in there).

Plus, I just can't think that KW really thinks our starting pitching for next year will be Contreas/Danks/Floyd for our 3,4,5 spots, and expect to win that many more games in 08 than we did in 07.

KW also said that the number one man on his mind is still out there, and this was reported _after_ the Torii Hunter deal went south (err.. west). And, I dont see how this could be referring to linebrink.

What do you think? Is it a possibility to win a bidding war with the Yankees, Mets and Angels?
I want to live in a world where the White Sox can get Johan Santana for Fields, Richar, Owens, and Uribe. Mostly because in that world I assume I sleep on bags of 100 dollar bills and eat chocolate that makes me lose weight and gain muscle. Because that world is the one that so far only lives in my dreams.

oeo
11-26-2007, 03:58 PM

No chance in hell.
a)We don't have enough talent.
b)The Twins would never trade with us.

But since you asked, we could put together a better package than the Mets; no way we could match whatever the Yankees or Angels would offer, though (throw the Red Sox in there, too).

Sargeant79
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM

No.

And even if the Twins did want to trade him to a divison rival, it would take a lot more than Fields, Richar, and Owens.

voodoochile
11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
WHY would the Twinkies trade the best pitcher on the planet to a divisional rival?

asindc
11-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I want to live in a world where the White Sox can get Johan Santana for Fields, Richar, Owens, and Uribe. Mostly because in that world I assume I sleep on bags of 100 dollar bills and eat chocolate that makes me lose weight and gain muscle. Because that world is the one that so far only lives in my dreams.

LOL!:rolling:

Domeshot17
11-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I dont know which idea is more of a reach...Santana could be had for that package...ORRRRRRRRR Santana would be dealt in Division. I dont think he even gets deal in the AL

The one guy I actually think we may be sleepers on is Dan Haren, for a Crede (dh)-Sweeney-Gio-Egbert package. Crede isn't really a BB type of player, but he might make sense for him as a DH/1b/3b rotating player.

jabrch
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
we could trade Fields/Richar/Owens plus maybe Uribe (no other good reason, might as well throw him in there).

If that was the price that Minny had in mind, this deal would have been done a long time ago.

They'd want something like Gio, Fields and one more of our top 5 prospects, at a bare minimum.

spiffie
11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
If that was the price that Minny had in mind, this deal would have been done a long time ago.

They'd want something like Gio, Fields and one more of our top 5 prospects, at a bare minimum.
I would think it would be more like 5 of our top 5 prospects.

If the Sox went to MN and offered them Santana for:
Gio
Fields
DLS
Egbert
Poreda
Sweeney/Anderson/Owens

they might listen, even though it is in division. At some point if someone blows you away with a package you have to overlook the fact that its a divisional rival. But it would mean basically handing them a list of the organization and saying "All you can eat, buffet is open."

johnr1note
11-26-2007, 04:13 PM

And if I could be assured we could sign him to an extension, I'd do that deal in a New York minute.

But it will never happen, as Santana probably wants high profile (e.g. west coast or east coast) and the Twins will never deal with the hated White Sox.

JackK
11-26-2007, 04:18 PM
I would think it would be more like 5 of our top 5 prospects.

If the Sox went to MN and offered them Santana for:
Gio
Fields
DLS
Egbert
Poreda
Sweeney/Anderson/Owens

they might listen, even though it is in division. At some point if someone blows you away with a package you have to overlook the fact that its a divisional rival. But it would mean basically handing them a list of the organization and saying "All you can eat, buffet is open."

Plus, remember, Santana has some say in this too. He has a no trade clause, so I assume this will mean highest dollar contract with a team he likes. If we are near the top of the bid list, perhaps he doesnt want to play for the Yankess/Red Sox. I wouldnt want to eat, work and sleep with those idiots on the yankee squad on a day to day basis for the next 8 years of my life (well, maybe for $150M Id consider it)...

jenn2080
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM

HOLY ****!

:rolling:

soxinem1
11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
The only Santanas we have a chance getting are :

1. Our old 1B coach Rafael Santana
2. Ervin Santana on the LAA.

Anyting else is a pipe dream......

Daver
11-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Bill Smith and Terry Ryan are many things, downright stupid is not one of them.

voodoochile
11-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Plus, remember, Santana has some say in this too. He has a no trade clause, so I assume this will mean highest dollar contract with a team he likes. If we are near the top of the bid list, perhaps he doesnt want to play for the Yankess/Red Sox. I wouldnt want to eat, work and sleep with those idiots on the yankee squad on a day to day basis for the next 8 years of my life (well, maybe for $150M Id consider it)...

Yeah, who wants to play on the most storied franchise in MLB history surrounded by All-Star players at every position and an open checkbook to fix whatever problems do pop up? That would truly suck...:?:

AZChiSoxFan
11-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Sure, but only if we get the Twins to agree to throw in Mauer.

GET REAL!!!!

palehozenychicty
11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, who wants to play on the most storied franchise in MLB history surrounded by All-Star players at every position and an open checkbook to fix whatever problems do pop up? That would truly suck...:?:

Exactly.

Hitmen77
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Even if the Twins would entertain trading Santana to the Sox, why would we want to give up what little talent we have for only 1 year of Santana?

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have Johan Santana on our team. He's arguably the best pitcher in baseball no doubt about it. But he's only a year away from free agency and is looking to command an astronomical contract next offseason the likes of which the Sox are not likely to match. The only way I'd entertain trading a bunch of what little young talent we have for Santana is if we could somehow be assured that we could lock him up to a contract extension.

Barring any extension we could work out with him up front, how much would people here be willing to see the Sox give up for only 1 year of Santana? The only teams I could see pulling off a trade for Santana at this time are teams that both have loaded farm systems and are willing/able to give him a huge new contract. I don't see the Sox fitting either description.

The Dude
11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
No.

And even if the Twins did want to trade him to a divison rival, it would take a lot more than Fields, Richar, and Owens.

Try adding Broadway, Gio and Danks to the mix and we might be close.

guillen4life13
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Not.
Gonna.
Happen.

tstrike2000
11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
No.

thomas35forever
11-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Wish I could say yes, but I doubt the Twins are going to deal their star to their division rival. The answer is no.

munchman33
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Try adding Broadway, Gio and Danks to the mix and we might be close.

You could add De Los Santos, the Barons entire roster, and our upcoming 2008 draft class to that mix and it still wouldn't be enough.

If the Twins get Santana, they're gonna get at least two stud pitching prospects and a marquis position prospect. At the very least. We don't have one of any of that.

The Immigrant
11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
If the Twins get Santana, they're gonna get at least two stud pitching prospects and a marquis position prospect. At the very least. We don't have one of any of that.

That's what the Twins will ask for, but if you were a GM would you even consider parting with that much talent when you could wait a year and then simply outbid everyone else when Santana reaches free agency? Chances are you'll have to go through the bidding process either way. I think the days of GM's trading away multiple stud prospects for one year rentals - even if they are Santana or Sabathia - are over. Beckett was the exception but he had two years of arbitration left (and came in a package with Mike Lowell).

Paulwny
11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Yanks/Twins talking .

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlJTRM0h0CvMvOytmWO26Q05nYcB?slug=ap-yankees-santana&prov=ap&type=lgns

Brian26
11-26-2007, 10:10 PM

That is sensational work. LOL! Awesome
:thumbsup:

A. Cavatica
11-26-2007, 10:58 PM
OMG! It says here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1730469&postcount=1) that the Sox are trying to trade for Santana!

hi im skot
11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
You could add De Los Santos, the Barons entire roster, and our upcoming 2008 draft class to that mix and it still wouldn't be enough.

http://www.jesuslist.com/blog/images/jason-marquis.jpeg

Who me?

Tragg
11-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Even if the Twins would entertain trading Santana to the Sox, why would we want to give up what little talent we have for only 1 year of Santana?
We wouldn't. Well, I wouldn't. Trading everything for 1 year of a pitcher would be crazy, especially with a mediocre underlying team like the Sox have.
I want Santana right where he is - on a non contender.

oeo
11-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Yanks/Twins talking .

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlJTRM0h0CvMvOytmWO26Q05nYcB?slug=ap-yankees-santana&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Red Sox should be hoping and praying this doesn't happen. Hell, I'm hoping and praying this doesn't happen. Santana instantly makes the Yankees one of the favorites for the AL pennant. And depending on who they give up (if they can keep Joba), they'll have a good rotation to go with that great lineup.

We all know they will re-sign him, too. That doesn't look good for the rest of the AL in upcoming years.

BTW, Santana would probably win 25 games on that team.

munchman33
11-26-2007, 11:58 PM
That's what the Twins will ask for, but if you were a GM would you even consider parting with that much talent when you could wait a year and then simply outbid everyone else when Santana reaches free agency? Chances are you'll have to go through the bidding process either way. I think the days of GM's trading away multiple stud prospects for one year rentals - even if they are Santana or Sabathia - are over. Beckett was the exception but he had two years of arbitration left (and came in a package with Mike Lowell).

Santana has a full no-trade clause. If he is dealt, he'll have to give permission, probably meaning he'll sign long term.

So really, that outbid scenerio is a huge gamble. And it isn't very likely, as the Twins will do everything in their power to deal him for that kind of a package.

palehosepub
11-27-2007, 12:24 AM
If the Sox were to trade Gio, DLS, Sweeney, Fields and Egbert. ( My view of the top five prospects.) I doubt the Twins would do that. But the Sox than trade Konerko, Uribe, and Contreras for Prospects. Since Paulie makes more than Johan plus Uribe and Contreras the sox would easily be able to sign A- Ro. Then Maybe get an outfielder like Damon (not that I want him.)

LF Damon
SS Cabrera
DH Thome
1B Dye
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
3B Crede
RF Kielty
2B Richar

SPs Johan, Buerhle, Vazquez, Broadway, Colon(?)

CHISOXFAN13
11-27-2007, 12:46 AM
If the Sox were to trade Gio, DLS, Sweeney, Fields and Egbert. ( My view of the top five prospects.) I doubt the Twins would do that. But the Sox than trade Konerko, Uribe, and Contreras for Prospects. Since Paulie makes more than Johan plus Uribe and Contreras the sox would easily be able to sign A- Ro. Then Maybe get an outfielder like Damon (not that I want him.)

LF Damon
SS Cabrera
DH Thome
1B Dye
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
3B Crede
RF Kielty
2B Richar

SPs Johan, Buerhle, Vazquez, Broadway, Colon(?)

:rolling:

Please stop the insanity!!!!!!!!!!

chaerulez
11-27-2007, 01:40 AM

Let me get this straight. You think the Twins will trade the best pitcher in baseball. Who is what, 26-27 years old, a power lefty, to a divisional rival? Well, it could happen. But you think the Twins would take an offer of:

-A prospect who could be a big star. Or he could be a second tier type star player like Troy Glaus. And there is still the chance he could be a bust. I say he becomes a .280/.350/.460 hitter that hits about 35 to 45 HRs a year in his prime. That's great, but Santana's value is worth more than that, especially since Fields plays a power position.

-A second base prospect that has done well in the minors, but didn't show all that much in his first major league tour of duty. I'd say right now he's an average prospect. Slighty above average at best.

-A outfielder who is a one tool player, or at least hasn't proven to be anymore than that. Had a god awful OPS+ of 67 more than 300 at bats.

-A overpaid shortstop who has something like a .280 career OBP. He has decent power and above average glove skills. But that .295 OBP really makes him only useful as a backup player.

That package wouldn't even get us Miguel Cabrera much less Johan Santana.

IlliniSox4Life
11-27-2007, 05:32 AM
The trade talks probably went something like this:

Sox: Hmmm, let's see, where's that number. Ah, here it is
*ring**ring*
Twins: Hello?
Sox: Hey! Twins! What's up?
Twins: Not too much. Just got finished planning our stadium.
Sox: I saw that, looks pretty good. It's about time.
Twins: Yeah, I bet you'll like the new clubhouses.
Sox: Listen, I heard you guys were taking offers on that Johan guy.
Twins: Oh yeah, we've gotten a few nice packages.
Sox: Well listen, we've got some good young players you might want to look at.
Twins: Haha, oh man, that's rich.
Sox: Yeah, thought you'd get a kick out of it. Hey, want to three way call Detroit and ask if they'll trade us Granderson?

JackK
11-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Let me get this straight. You think the Twins will trade the best pitcher in baseball. Who is what, 26-27 years old, a power lefty, to a divisional rival? Well, it could happen. But you think the Twins would take an offer of:

Ok ok ok... I've been flamed back to the 11th century here. I surrender!

Honestly, i guess im just mostly depressed that we have contreas/danks/floyd as our 3,4,5 starting pitchers. A few weeks ago, I was hoping we'd have Garland plus another starter before the winter meetings.

jabrch
11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
If the Sox were to trade Gio, DLS, Sweeney, Fields and Egbert. ( My view of the top five prospects.) I doubt the Twins would do that.

The Twins would do that in a heartbeat. The Sox wouldn't mortgage their entire future for one year of Santana.